• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Has anyone figured out the combination of grabs/throws on wario?
Well.... its not a buffered grab... but i'd like to point this question to stealth's discovery about the semi-infinite on wario that is very situational. Thin platform, very edge, grab wario, d-throw> (wierd glitch that makes wario not move upwards at all while wiggling in hitstun)> rinse and repeat until 90/100-ish damange>u-smash end. Tis a good find and for pika vs. wario's sake... should be added to this epic list of unusual chaingrabs. I pulled it off at a tournament setting one time.

Start: ANY damage.... lol :p

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well.... its not a buffered grab... but i'd like to point this question to stealth's discovery about the semi-infinite on wario that is very situational. Thin platform, very edge, grab wario, d-throw> (wierd glitch that makes wario not move upwards at all while wiggling in hitstun)> rinse and repeat until 90/100-ish damange>u-smash end. Tis a good find and for pika vs. wario's sake... should be added to this epic list of unusual chaingrabs. I pulled it off at a tournament setting one time.

I'm aware of that CG. Just a regular one i was wondering. BTW LDPK i put up pika vs wario on my account. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYjt1nwdNpM

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend

this was not my discovery. i just happened to watch the livestream of a NY tourney where someone demonstrated it. and afaik ninja its just regular buffered dthrows.

Zee725

Smash Apprentice

i've tried this CG on wario on various platforms and it doesn't seem to work, any pummels or anything you have to do?

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been trying to practice the Falco CG. I'm just in training mode, but I can't get past 70 percent. I do as instructed, x2 fthrow, x13 dthrow, regrab; every time it hits 70 percent, the grab fails - falco is too high in the air.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Mew!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Training mode doesn't diminish the throw, so he will fly farther. You have to do unlimited time and do it. In training mode it won't work since the throws don't diminish. "Very important"

I'm gonna test the CG with staled throws for the ones that we can basically get a kill from (Falco, fox, sheik, falcon, ganon) and see if you can do it nearly fully diminished.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
Training mode doesn't diminish the throw, so he will fly farther. You have to do unlimited time and do it. In training mode it won't work since the throws don't diminish. "Very important"

I'm gonna test the CG with staled throws for the ones that we can basically get a kill from (Falco, fox, sheik, falcon, ganon) and see if you can do it nearly fully diminished.
Oh! Interesting... I hadn't realized that training mode doesn't stale your moves. Well that's unfortunate. I'll give it a go in brawl mode.

****, I really wish I hadn't updated my Wii >.< I want to test this sort of stuff with you guys, but I'm stuck for now =(

Mew.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I never realized that shiek was in so much danger

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
I used this on my friend's MK, and it worked for the first stock up to about 60%. But he was able to simply jump out of it on the next stock... Any ideas as to why?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I used this on my friend's MK, and it worked for the first stock up to about 60%. But he was able to simply jump out of it on the next stock... Any ideas as to why?
You did it wrong. But without knowing exactly what you did, we can't tell you where you messed up.

jog

Smash Journeyman
i read the Q&A on the front page and i still don't really understand buffering his down throw. could someone explain to me how to do this in detail?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
i read the Q&A on the front page and i still don't really understand buffering his down throw. could someone explain to me how to do this in detail?
do the down throw and b4 the down throw is finished press grab.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
which is just a fthrow first, right? and we discussed the whole buffering a dash, or a grab from a dash to prevent him escaping that before you can regrab and chain til 52?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If you start from 10%, MK can still footstool after the first downthrow and also fthrow > regrab isn't guaranteed.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yes it is prime, you have to buffer it, run 2 frames, and then grab. I tried it and he couldn't get out, whether it was jump or UP-b

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Does anyone know if the new chaingrab works on Olimar?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
:) I was just wondering, my DK can usually go even against Socal oli's but i was just wondering if i needed Pika as a back up.

Ill make sure to put this to use against Sheik, Falco, and DDD however.

Twotime

Smash Rookie
When i try to chain grab sonic my friend always gets out the second grab by using his up-B (bumper)... is there anyone that can try this to see if im doing it wrong..

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
When i try to chain grab sonic my friend always gets out the second grab by using his up-B (bumper)... is there anyone that can try this to see if im doing it wrong..
Are you F-throwing? If so, you aren't grabbing soon enough after the buffered dash. This was tested where no human error is possible, so you might just have to get used to the timing. I still mess up when CGing my brother's ZSS, so it just needs lots of practice.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Just some things I wanted to mention. Pikachu seems to have several pseudo CG's on characters, so even for people not on this list a buffered grab might still catch them if they do anything other then their best method of escaping. Secondly, I find an easier way to press the grab button thats really helped me. Ill elaborate in a bit.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I forgot to elaborate. I dont know why, but I get the feeling that if you hold the z button longer then 3 frames even in the buffer zone youll buffer shield instead of grab, which is the problem most people have. Dont know if thats true or not but it could be.

So yeah, some people may already do this, but Im starting to do the chaingrab the way I short hopped in melee. Before Id just press the button and try to lift it up really fast, but because of the awkward button its a little hard to get it right all the time.

However, I found that if you slide your finger across instead of press the button it makes it much much easier. Basically just move your finger to the tip of the Z button and slide it down along the curve of the controller so it makes a loud clicky noise once your finger slides off the button. I've found that this has caused me to mess up way less. Like, it makes it ridiculously easy.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Oh yeah I forgot to elaborate. I dont know why, but I get the feeling that if you hold the z button longer then 3 frames even in the buffer zone youll buffer shield instead of grab, which is the problem most people have. Dont know if thats true or not but it could be.

So yeah, some people may already do this, but Im starting to do the chaingrab the way I short hopped in melee. Before Id just press the button and try to lift it up really fast, but because of the awkward button its a little hard to get it right all the time.

However, I found that if you slide your finger across instead of press the button it makes it much much easier. Basically just move your finger to the tip of the Z button and slide it down along the curve of the controller so it makes a loud clicky noise once your finger slides off the button. I've found that this has caused me to mess up way less. Like, it makes it ridiculously easy.
yep thats what i do

Top Bottom