• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Brookman

Smash Hero
Dear RayneEX,

I checked out some of your vids from rom2 and all I have to say is:

If you stop noobing around soo much you'll start placing top 5

EWC

Smash Ace
You can actually DI out of shine-bair while still having good DI if they bair you. Just SDI down and then regular DI up. That's just silly though.

earla

Smash Lord
what are all the characters you can waveshine in melee pal + to what %?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ness
Ice Climbers
Samus
Zelda
Shiek
Link

You can waveshine anyone if they CC. You can waveshine these characters (not sure about Mario in PAL) till any %, shine is set knockback.

Will it combo? Yes against about half of them, I'm too lazy to figure out who exactly; the others can escape by just DI'ing away.

voorhese

Smash Master
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ness
Ice Climbers
Samus
Zelda
Shiek
Link

You can waveshine anyone if they CC. You can waveshine these characters (not sure about Mario in PAL) till any %, shine is set knockback.

Will it combo? Yes against about half of them, I'm too lazy to figure out who exactly; the others can escape by just DI'ing away.
you cant waveshine luigi!!!/ or the climbers, prolly not even samus

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you can waveshine samus. I've done it.

SCOTU claimed once on the boards that he can waveshine luigi, but i don't believe it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
While I think it has been somewhat discussed in terms of knowing that if you tech it makes you fall off if you hold down.

But I have always purposefully missed techs at the edge to allow myself to bounce and grab the edge by DI'ing away. I've always felt it was better than getting easily tech chased near edges. The only risk obviously is if the bounce doesn't go far enough and you land on the stage instead of falling.
I do the exact same thing. Bouncing onto the ledge is good in alot of situations.

Even though it pains me to reveal this information, i will part with it to help out you fox players.

Shine sends marth falling from the edge EVEN IF HE HOLD IN.

marth sucks at the edge vs fox.

now out of respect, nobody should ever shine me blind again.
I'm pretty sure Marth can d.i. or simply hold down to grab it like other waveshine combo-able characters.

It's suicide to stand on the ledge when Fox has his broken ledge options. I just don't know why some would prefer to use anything less when ledgedashing is so ungodly.
Standing up would probably be Fox's next best option. It gives you good invincibility, and you can move fairly quickly after you stand up. If you buffer a roll right after, it is a sure second in terms of safety after the ledge wavedash. The ledge roll loses all viability because of how easy it is to react to. Normal get-up to dsmash vs. Marth on edge-guard is ****. Its also very good vs. Sheik for those edge-guard punishes. Sometimes ledge-rolling takes too long. If you are ever edge-guarding Sheik and you are over 100%, use the forward get-up instead of the ledge roll. All ledge moves become slower and their animations change once you hit 100%.

there's no reason to shine bair
I actually can't believe YOU just posted this. :laugh:

Not worth it when you can DI the shine so the bair doesn't hit.
You'll feel like crap when they just do nair or bair and you west coast d.i. to your doom.

Dear RayneEX,

I checked out some of your vids from rom2 and all I have to say is:

If you stop noobing around soo much you'll start placing top 5
That means alot. Thanks Brookman. :)

Any advice?

what are all the characters you can waveshine in melee pal + to what %?
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ness
Ice Climbers
Samus
Zelda
Shiek
Link

He asked for characters in PAL, not NTSC. Sheik falls down from the shine in PAL.

Alot of those characters you can't actually waveshine combo. They simply don't fall down from the shine. I compiled a list in a post I made a few months ago. I'll repost it.

----------------------------------------
(NOTICE: This applies to NTSC. All I know about the PAL shine is that both Marth and Sheik fall down. You'll have to techchase them or thunders for a follow-up.)

Characters you can waveshine repeatedly:

Bowser
Falcon
DK
Ganon
Link
Peach
Sheik/Zelda
Yoshi
Samus

Characters that can't be waveshined repeatedly:

(Just because they can't be waveshined over and over again, DOES NOT mean a grab or usmash will not combo. Marth/Mario/Doc/Ness for example, can be waveshine comboed into usmash and grab. Some characters, due to their terrible traction, can't be comboed at all after a shine.)

*can only be comboed by an illusion after a JCed shine or in a corner.

Luigi
Ice Climbers

*can be comboed with most moves after waveshine, excluding another shine

Mario
Doc
Marth
Ness

Keep in mind that the angles of certain levels will kill follow-ups. Corneria and DK64 are good examples. Sometimes when you shine they will be knocked into the air or bounce because of the sloped ground. When an opponent has been shined into the air or while in the air, their landing animation cancels out the shine's stun or "pushback frames". They can then do anything freely from that neutral position (i.e. Roll, shield, attack, jump)

Characters that fall down from the shine:

(if you land a shine on these characters, I suggest you go for a thunders combo (waveshine -> jab), or techchase grab, usmash, or any other move you think will work.)

Falco
Fox
Game and Watch
Jiggs
Kirby
Mewtwo
Pikachu
Pichu
Roy
Young Link

battousai555

Smash Ace
In what situation would a shine-upsmash be the best option? If you predict that a spacie will miss a tech?

What characters can you combo by running at them and doing a shine-upsmash? I've done it on Ganon, but I'm not sure if he can just DI out of it. Many thanks.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
shine usmash doesn't have much use. If anything it makes landing the usmash harder because of the extra input. What if they accidentally d.i. the shine and escape the usmash? Can you imagine losing an important set because all you had to do was usmash and not shine in between?

lol

It works on every character. You need to have a good running start so the momentum will carry you towards them after you shine. Yes, they can d.i. out (and most people usually do, expecting only the usmash and d.i.ing away to begin with).

I only ever do it when I see that they've missed a tech, or mid combo (during a friendly).

cough peterx cough

If you try to shine usmash at every point you would normally usmash, you'll find it whiffing alot. Like I said earlier in this post, everyone is already holding away when you hit them to d.i. the usmash. Shine usmash misses alot because of this. The running start makes up for them d.i.ing away alot of the time, so keep that in mind.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
raynex, if marth is spaced so he hits the edge at the end of the shine knockback, then yes he'll grab. if he is closer than ~half that he won't be able to hold in and grab the edge. It really sucks.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
raynex i watched your set v darc. so close!! u shoulda won the first on FD and you woulda had it. nice job man.
Would you believe...at the end of the first match I tried to DD grab, which would have worked if my control stick wasn't sticking the whole day. :(

The last grab he got on me, you'll see I did a weird trip up thing and grabbed instead of running away and turning around. The controller was on loan from Kirbykaze. Its old and he used it back when we went to Pound 3, and he had experienced problems with it too. I used it for a few months at local events, but the Rom2 trip was sort of last minute so I took his controller because I had no other options.

I gave it back to KK after we got back to Canada.

Yes. You can even see him holding the hamster if you look close.
LOL I can't believe I didn't notice that before. Dark Alliance all dai son.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The last grab he got on me, you'll see I did a weird trip up thing and grabbed instead of running away and turning around. The controller was on loan from Kirbykaze. Its old and he used it back when we went to Pound 3, and he had experienced problems with it too. I used it for a few months at local events, but the Rom2 trip was sort of last minute so I took his controller because I had no other options.
I didn't use it because the L-button padding ripped.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey raynex tomacawk and I have a match of doubles recorded w/ my friend who has never played doubles b4 (against people besides me and a few other friends) and i would like you to take a look and give me some advice, and im sure tomacawk wont mind some to

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I don't have them. I'm waiting for ripple to give them to me, then I will upload them ASAP. I'd also like you to watch how i did in grand finals raynex, because I have questions about how i should have been approaching

voorhese

Smash Master
I don't have them. I'm waiting for ripple to give them to me, then I will upload them ASAP. I'd also like you to watch how i did in grand finals raynex, because I have questions about how i should have been approaching
"you are not supposed to approach" -Tomacawk

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yeah I know you aren't supposed to, but sometimes you have to. patience is something I lack. it's pretty evident that goose beat me because I kept approaching him and he was more patient, which pretty much equates to he played better

Mr Physych

Smash Apprentice
This isnt just a fox specific question but im asking it here because this is the character i play, i have been watching alot of videos of mango and other players and i notice when they spotdodge after aerials they do it really fast and i was wondering do you find it more effective to spotdodge with the controlstick or do you prefer to buffer your spotdodges with the cstick

SCOTU

Smash Hero
pfft it's not like any fox player doesn't know the exact timing of when their aerials are done anyways. If you didn't you'd suck at pretty much everything after an aerial.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey i have a thought.... if buffering gives u exactly 1 frame of sheild, then if they hit u during that it would be a power sheild anyway right?

earla

Smash Lord
i saw mango do an up-throw - shine-bair in one hit. how do you do that?

i play melee pal version

Top Bottom