• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

D

Deleted member

What should I do versus Marth's dash dance. Ill bait him into attacking with lasers to make him approach, usually he will just dash dancing and go for a grab (which almost always works).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
for a beginner fox, what are the essential techniques,combos to practice?

who are the best fox players to watch to learn from?

also who are best in pal? (from australia)
All of Fox's full hopped and short hopped aerials to shine (with and without hitting a shield). Mastering L-canceling is the most important technique to get down.

Then grab combos are also essential to have down. JC grabs to up throw to uair/bair, chaingrabs on space animals

After that, you can learn all sorts of silly stuff. Waveshine to grab, waveshine to upsmash, Thunder's combo (waveshine to jab), shine bair, Silent Wolf's crazy shine to platform waveland stuff, etc.

If you play like Cactuar though, you don't need combos.

Only good PAL Foxes I can think of are European, and I can't remember any of their names right now.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
for a beginner fox, what are the essential techniques,combos to practice?

who are the best fox players to watch to learn from?

also who are best in pal? (from australia)
SHFFL and waveshine.

Read the stickies.

CunningKitsune's Complete Guide to Fox McCloud

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=35050

Watch RaynEx, he's really good.

What should I do versus Marth's dash dance. Ill bait him into attacking with lasers to make him approach, usually he will just dash dancing and go for a grab (which almost always works).
If you predict a grab, just hit him. If if you think he'll attack run up and shield, then **** his lag. If you think he's just DDing to camp you, then camp back.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I just realized your avatar was a chicken and two baby chicks instead of some weird face.

Mr Physych

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble getting out of falcon/shiek tech chase and was wondering if anyone has any tips besides just mix it up ,he just stands there and follows my tech or if i miss he waits for my roll.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
If your opponent is extremely good at techchasing and knows how to cover many options there's not much you can do than just try and be unpredictable. Are there any options you aren't using? Are there options that he catches you less frequently with than others?

If you roll to the edge you can fall off and grab it. Also try and take advantage of mistakes your opponent makes with timing. A buffered spot dodge is great for when he is slightly late on a techchase grab.

voorhese

Smash Master
yah about the edge i have found out through a couple accidental deaths that if you tech to the edge of the stage (but would have gone farther) and then hold down you will fall right off the stage (i used it to escape a tech chase when i played mango in pools, but i was to scared to shine -> bair back onto the stage and the stuff i normally do tho)

discuss ( i think this has a lot of potential in terms of escaping gay stuff)

edit: you can also be super flashy w/ it w/ ganon (fall off then jump and waveland -> super ganon moonwalk) if you wanna look like a super stud

Turazrok

Smash Master
his names means 3 chickens (i dont speak spanish). ofc his avatar is going to be 3 chickens.
Pretty sure no. Pollo is chicken IIRC. Chikon is idk??? But it doesn't matter. Because chicken is awesome.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
yah about the edge i have found out through a couple accidental deaths that if you tech to the edge of the stage (but would have gone farther) and then hold down you will fall right off the stage (i used it to escape a tech chase when i played mango in pools, but i was to scared to shine -> bair back onto the stage and the stuff i normally do tho)

discuss ( i think this has a lot of potential in terms of escaping gay stuff)
It's the best for escaping grabs. I can imagine it going wrong though, such as Falcon techchasing with a stomp and catching you offstage.

You were at RoM2? I was there too :D

voorhese

Smash Master
It's the best for escaping grabs. I can imagine it going wrong though, such as Falcon techchasing with a stomp and catching you offstage.

You were at RoM2? I was there too :D
nope i played mango at SMYM10, and its a pretty legit way of escaping grabs (i dont know anyone else who does it on purpose like me tho, im trying to get it well known)

edit: if this idea hasnt been used for escaping stuff, imma deem it the voorhese drop (ill call it that anyway XD)

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Hah, someone thought my avatar was a disgruntled rhinoceros face.

Also, there's a getup roll that can achieve the same effect. If Fox is on his back and rolls backwards towards the ledge, he can fall off unless an attack is timed on the same frame he falls off on.

I've only used it by accident, but so far it's always been more helpful since it surprises my opponent just as much as it does me.

I'm down with calling it the voorhese drop.

voorhese

Smash Master

Anyways, the "voorheese drop" is unique to certain rolls and characters.

If Fox is on his back and rolls backwards towards the ledge, he can fall off unless an attack is timed on the 29th frame of his roll.

It's only that specific roll however, nothing else will work.
hmmm, im not that in depth about anything, but i have noticed if i tech towards the edge the stage (w/ my back turned yah) it will work, im assuming because you know that much about it, thats its nothing new?

edit: i was talking about the get up roll, heres where it first happened to me, then i studdied it for awhile, untill i started using it to help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1f9sJ2JhU (start at 2:10)

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace

Also, there's a getup roll that can achieve the same effect.

If Fox is on his back and rolls backwards towards the ledge, he can fall off unless an attack is timed on the exact frame he falls off on.

It's only that specific roll however, no other roll would make you fall off.
someone kept doing that against me and it was quite annoying.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
hmmm, im not that in depth about anything, but i have noticed if i tech towards the edge the stage (w/ my back turned yah) it will work, im assuming because you know that much about it, thats its nothing new?

edit: i was talking about the get up roll, heres where it first happened to me, then i studdied it for awhile, untill i started using it to help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1f9sJ2JhU (start at 2:10)
I'm just an information wh*re, I've never seen anyone actively use it before. If it works, why not use it?

It could serve as another option in avoiding a techchase, and since it's unique to a few select rolls and characters, it could easily surprise someone.

Although, like Variola said, certain things like stomps can cover that option even if they're aren't aware of it.

earla

Smash Lord
in melee pal, which characters can fox inescapable wave shine to the edge?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
peach, link, captain falcon, ganon (i think), bowser if you walk while doing it i believe, on small stages like yoshis 1 shine to luigi and he is of stage lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
nope i played mango at SMYM10, and its a pretty legit way of escaping grabs (i dont know anyone else who does it on purpose like me tho, im trying to get it well known)

edit: if this idea hasnt been used for escaping stuff, imma deem it the voorhese drop (ill call it that anyway XD)
While I think it has been somewhat discussed in terms of knowing that if you tech it makes you fall off if you hold down.

But I have always purposefully missed techs at the edge to allow myself to bounce and grab the edge by DI'ing away. I've always felt it was better than getting easily tech chased near edges. The only risk obviously is if the bounce doesn't go far enough and you land on the stage instead of falling.

voorhese

Smash Master
While I think it has been somewhat discussed in terms of knowing that if you tech it makes you fall off if you hold down.

But I have always purposefully missed techs at the edge to allow myself to bounce and grab the edge by DI'ing away. I've always felt it was better than getting easily tech chased near edges. The only risk obviously is if the bounce doesn't go far enough and you land on the stage instead of falling.
watch that vid i posted, even if u dont fall of stage from the bounce, if you roll towards the edge, then hold down you fall off, i think it has a lot of potential for escaping stuff

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Even though it pains me to reveal this information, i will part with it to help out you fox players.

Shine sends marth falling from the edge EVEN IF HE HOLD IN.

marth sucks at the edge vs fox.

now out of respect, nobody should ever shine me blind again.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
It's suicide to stand on the ledge when Fox has his broken ledge options. I just don't know why some would prefer to use anything less when ledgedashing is so ungodly.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Is there any advantages to using shine bair (like how falco does it)....i see ppl doing it and i want to know if its just for show or are there any special properties.....also how do u perform it because whenever i do it the opponent gets shined away 2 fast for me to hit them with a bair

Tomacawk

Smash Master
it's useful, if you're gunna uthrow->bair to edgeguard someone but they won't die you can shine bair for more %
basically, if you're fast enough to shine bair with falco, you can do it with fox, but it's important to get the positioning right before you shine
like they have to be inside of fox/a little bit higher than fox, or if you've running you can shine bair with different positioning and drift with momentum into them

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's actually pretty demoralizing when it happens to you. In pools at RoM2 I got shine baired in a Fox ditto and couldn't play as well subsequently. :laugh:

Lovage

Smash Hero
wellz the whole point is that nobody except noobs are gonna DI away from the shine
even if u know the shine is coming and you DI away you could be WRONG and die from bair at like 70% lol

Tomacawk

Smash Master
you guys act like people normally DI out of shine bairs. The only way you're gunna get out of it is pretty strong sdi on the shine if the fox has positioned it correctly
It's risky but if you're really good at it go for it as far as I'm concerned

Top Bottom