• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Lovage

Smash Hero
I can't approach for ****. Help me.

I habitually approach with nairs which gets me ***** more often than not. More and more I'm approaching with my shine, which is very safe, but won't work forever. The scariest (for me), but most effective thing to do is grab.

I've tried mixing in dairs which works wonderfully when I land them, and DDing while mixing in Jman lazers. I should probably do this more often.

I just want to know your guys' general approaches. thx
nair
if they dash dance away from ur nair, run a bit more and then nair
if they start attacking u when you run far and nair, run up shield instead

dont listen to those other people who say dont approach

Lovage

Smash Hero
It depends what they hit you with/how spaced theyre hurtbox is from your sheild. Dair might be a better option then nair too.
but 90% of the time ur just gonna shine

or if they mess up really bad and land in front of you (LIKE A NOOB) usmash

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
how do you beat people who retreat and attack. i can never win.

e.g.

falcon retreating n-airs.

marth retreating f-airs.

ganon retreating f-airs

makes me sad.
good games this weekend. Glad we actually got legit time to talk and play.

Don't jump into the retreating aerials. If they jump high intercept them before or after their attack. For Falcon you have to pay close attention to how he is moving. If he runs straight at you with nair be prepared to beat it with a well-timed bair. Turning around and shield grabbing or usmash oos works well if you block it in time. Avoiding **** using platforms works pretty well. Waveland onto one to wait out the hitbox and drop through with pressure.

In all honesty camping is stupid and gay and you have to find your own special way around it. DD campy Falcon/Marth is hard for everyone and there isn't one true be all end all for this predicament.

Isolate lag and punish them for repetitive crap. This weekend vs. Tipman he kept wavelanding to bairs to keep me out, and covering missed fairs with jab. I would aerial him during his jump/waveland or stand underneath the platform and utilt. For the jab I would run in and block both hits then usmash oos. Also running in and ccing the jab to dtilt, usmash, grab worked. (but it was relative to my positioning)

DD camp:

More laser, less whiffing nairs and grabs right in front of them (i.e.: less making the first move). If you want to make the first move do it as laglessly as possible, so try to play it hit and run. Bairs off of platforms and aerials on the back of their shield. Only try to grab when they've whiffed, it will combo, or you think they'll be sitting in shield.

voorhese

Smash Master
ive been trying to learn the thing some people do when they hit a shield when they shine->nair(while moving away), but then i thought why not just shine->jc grab

can most technical things just be replaced with a way to get a grab, like cunning told me (and he has done it to me) that if they start sheild pressure he would wait for them to make a mistake, then just grab them, unless he doesnt think they will, then like shine oos or something im guessing

PK Webb

Smash Champion
While in shield i slide my thumb up on c-stick and shine....im learning thunders oos that thing is annoying to do consistently

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
i use up-down b really quick on the control stick.

btw how do you guys do n-air double shine?

i mean i double shine off the control stick from an up-throw but dunno if it'll work out after n-airing.

thank your raynex. LOL. i never thought about.... shielding the jab too!!! thats crazy. lolol. (being serious btw) anybody else got input? shooting the gun doesn't really help b/cthey step up to control space, then retreat attack. step up some more to control space retreat attack.

also mogwai there isn't anything eggm can't do.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
ive been trying to learn the thing some people do when they hit a shield when they shine->nair(while moving away), but then i thought why not just shine->jc grab

can most technical things just be replaced with a way to get a grab, like cunning told me (and he has done it to me) that if they start sheild pressure he would wait for them to make a mistake, then just grab them, unless he doesnt think they will, then like shine oos or something im guessing
shine oos or usmash if they **** up in your shield. If the mistake is huge and blatant than its probably better to grab for easier/more damaging punishes.

how do u shine out of shield? Just Jump shine oos?
What do you jump with? x/y/cs?

i use up-down b really quick on the control stick.

btw how do you guys do n-air double shine?

i mean i double shine off the control stick from an up-throw but dunno if it'll work out after n-airing.

thank your raynex. LOL. i never thought about.... shielding the jab too!!! thats crazy. lolol. (being serious btw) anybody else got input? shooting the gun doesn't really help b/cthey step up to control space, then retreat attack. step up some more to control space retreat attack.

also mogwai there isn't anything eggm can't do.
There is no straight answer to camping. Some people just have this innate ability to counter-act certain types of defensive play, so maybe ask them? In my opinion, Cactuar/Lucky deal with DD camping really well. Lucky ***** Falcons that try to camp for hits, and Cactus...(cough Darkrain cough waffles genesis crews cough)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Raynex teach me how to hit you :(. Your baits were better than mine, your follow through combos were WAY better than mine.

But other than that I did ok.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You nair into my DD space alot. It wouldn't be a huge problem if you didn't do it first so often. I usually wait and see what the opponent Fox will do, if he camps back I use the platforms or shield to help in my approach/bait stuff.

I didn't feel particularly threatened when you grabbed me or knocked me down with shine. Work on always getting the follow-up after a knockdown.

Utilt more, its useful and I don't think you used it that much. (in combos, on opponents jumping onto you or coming down off of platforms. It beats Falco's dair if timed right.)

More CC->shine.

Arc you're already good you don't need advice. : p

voorhese

Smash Master
hey raynex, im trying to learn a solid strat, and right now i try to laser camp, dd camp, and platform camp alot, as well as tying anything into a grab as often as i can (unless grab is not the best choice percent/ character wise) and i will have vids up soon, and i was wondering if u could tell me like the basic situational stuff u try to do like: when fox tries to nair you when ur at low % i think its smarter to CC->thunders instead of trying to sheild grab, because if its successful then u do a lot mor edamage, and when i try to sheild grab i always get shined, idk just some basic game plan stuff (feel free to PM them to me if)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You nair into my DD space alot. It wouldn't be a huge problem if you didn't do it first so often. I usually wait and see what the opponent Fox will do, if he camps back I use the platforms or shield to help in my approach/bait stuff.

I didn't feel particularly threatened when you grabbed me or knocked me down with shine. Work on always getting the follow-up after a knockdown.

Utilt more, its useful and I don't think you used it that much. (in combos, on opponents jumping onto you or coming down off of platforms. It beats Falco's dair if timed right.)

More CC->shine.

Arc you're already good you don't need advice. : p
Still thanks for all the tips. I definitely think I need to work on my follow-ups now that I think my Fox is pretty solid technically.

I definitely felt the same way about the nairing into DD space thing, I think you would trick me sometimes by nairing not in my space but actually in front of it, giving you time to spotdodge or roll from my grabs. Either that or I just messed up grabbing you haha.

So many Canadian players I played at RoM2 I need to go post something that KirbyKaze will read.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
hey raynex, im trying to learn a solid strat, and right now i try to laser camp, dd camp, and platform camp alot, as well as tying anything into a grab as often as i can (unless grab is not the best choice percent/ character wise) and i will have vids up soon, and i was wondering if u could tell me like the basic situational stuff u try to do like: when fox tries to nair you when ur at low % i think its smarter to CC->thunders instead of trying to sheild grab, because if its successful then u do a lot mor edamage, and when i try to sheild grab i always get shined, idk just some basic game plan stuff (feel free to PM them to me if)
I won't pm you, because if I spend time typing up something long and informative I want to share it with the rest of the thread.

I will, however, respond to this later on in the day.

raynex come over
Imagine all the crazy friendlies we could record.

Still thanks for all the tips. I definitely think I need to work on my follow-ups now that I think my Fox is pretty solid technically.

I definitely felt the same way about the nairing into DD space thing, I think you would trick me sometimes by nairing not in my space but actually in front of it, giving you time to spotdodge or roll from my grabs. Either that or I just messed up grabbing you haha.

So many Canadian players I played at RoM2 I need to go post something that KirbyKaze will read.
Uthrow utilt

uthrow -> run in a direction -> run back nair (sometimes you get survival d.i. and more combos, other times another techchase op.)

Baits son! You don't always have to wait for me to commit to a move/lag, but its generally really good to do on the first couple of stocks. If you get the first grabs/usmashes/combos you get the momentum and you can start approaching more creatively, without being afraid of getting hit and losing your lead. Bottom line is patience.

But who am I kidding, I still need to be patient too.

I'll get your stick up for you Mogwai.
In my heart, I knew this was coming.

voorhese

Smash Master
I won't pm you, because if I spend time typing up something long and informative I want to share it with the rest of the thread.
yah i thought about it, i dont know why i thought you would want to just tell me, naybe because of you told the whole thread they would mess up what they are learning ATM, but it wouldnt even be a bad thing, i was going to edit that part out but i forgot lol

-PM-

Smash Ace
Do fox players use the X button? I always use the X button because Y feels weird and I think thats why I mess up my tech skill. Its bugging me.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Do fox players use the X button? I always use the X button because Y feels weird and I think thats why I mess up my tech skill. Its bugging me.
It bugs me too. I've been playing it for years that way, although I wish I started with Y. I guess you should stick with what you're used to. I tried switching to Y before. Didn't go too well because oftentimes I'd end up hitting A or Y when I meant to hit the other (they're both RIGHT THERE on top of each other). That, or I wouldn't hit any button at all, because I'm too busy trying to figure out which one I was trying to go for.

How do you do the Isai drop? I can do it, I think, but is it supposed to look fast? I think I may be doing it wrong.

So...lately I've been seeing a lot of people say that the current fox community are getting a lot better. I guess...Idk, back when I "hibernated," I didn't really see that posted...at all. Idk, I'm not really used to it, and I'm a little interested in what has been going on since I left. Btw, I left right around Brawl came out. Didn't leave because of that; it was just a coincidence. I still played, just not nearly as much and haven't checked the boards.

One last thing: do people use the Shai drop more now? It was discovered, comparatively, receently (as in 1-2 years ago). I figured then that popularity for Melee wouldn't go back up.

Lovage

Smash Hero
the isai drop is pretty simple. after landing on a platform (cannot be after an aerial) hold forward and walk for a split second, then drop down. practice that slowly at first and then speed it up.

isai drops are mostly used to speed up falco's lasers on platforms, because you can only use it on regular landing lag, and if you laser and hit the ground you only have landing lag, you can isai drop and quickly laser again. watch lambchops or zhu, they use it a lot.

running shield drops (shai drops) are gaining popularity i think. i use it more than anyone i see, but i tell people about it a lot. zhu does it. hugs started doing it, i think forward does it. it'll catch on. once you learn how to do it and can do it consistently, you start seeing situations where it's useful.

DjangoZephyr

Smash Rookie
Are there any characters that a grounded jc shine oos --> jc usmash or grab would work on? or would they just be pushed back too far to hit/grab?

Top Bottom