• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I agree. That's a pretty epic sig.

ForeverOdd, people who roll and then attack are very bad usually. Just pressure him with aerials. If he keeps rolling the same way, just grab wait for it and grab him.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
edit: MarsFool, why wouldn't just U-tilt in most of those situations then? It sounds like it would work exactly the same, or better (referring to them coming at you or going for the edge). U-tilt has better range and stuff.
Id go for the grater knockback as opposed to the safer hit. U tilt range is beautiful, it covers the entire ledge at the end, but it can also be teched because of that.

LOL Raynex >_>

Falco>>>>fox, until hes off the stage :p

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Im having issues with two things.

First off, I have a friend who plays sheik and uses the Side-tilt-A WAY too much. Once he hits you with it, its pretty much a guaranteed 5 hits. Any ideas on how to stop this?

My second question, I have another friend who rolls way too much. He will attack, roll a bunch, then attack again, and he is very good at avoiding my attacks. What is the best method for handling this?

Thanks a bunch for the help!
First problem: DI out so he can't f-tilt you again.

Second problem: Punish his rolls. Grab, upsmash, dash attack are all solid choices.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Shielding with your back to your opponent is a terrible, terrible idea.

RaynEX: Kind of surprised you think Falco beats Fox.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)

I'm not and I agree. The only top Fox I know that consistently beat Falco's recently was Jman. To me it looks like a majority of the time Falco's get knocked out by other characters.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
In the backroom, there is a thread about organizing smash-related terms and tactics for the benefit of the community; sort of like a compendium of past and present words the smash collective has used.

My sig is Joshu's addition to the 'mindgames' definition. lol

Id go for the grater knockback as opposed to the safer hit. U tilt range is beautiful, it covers the entire ledge at the end, but it can also be teched because of that.

LOL Raynex >_>

Falco>>>>fox, until hes off the stage :p
Yeah, once Falco is off-stage its FUn time with a capital F U. ***** finally gets knocked off the stage and gets his. Stupid lasers :laugh:

I think the balance truly starts to shift once you knock Falco down. If you shine him, or grab him the match-up becomes sort of even. Its definitely a managable fight as Fox, but the parts when you're not landing hits and trying to avoid lasers really sets you back in percent, and patience. Also, getting hit for roughly 60% -> edge-guard is gay gay gay

To each his own I suppose. I've seen and played the match-up many, many times and feel my opinion is pretty accurate.

I'm not and I agree. The only top Fox I know that consistently beat Falco's recently was Jman. To me it looks like a majority of the time Falco's get knocked out by other characters.
Jman is definitely the best against Falcos as Fox. At Rom 1 he was taking Shiz 60-40 in friendlies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
why isn't shielding with your back to falco a good idea? its not like you're going to get a shield grab anyways. bair OoS is a really good move

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Because thats the worst position you can be in the game. If youre opponent is behind you all of their options are open, if youre shielding and facing away you cant do anything but jump, roll, bair OoS and get grabbed/generally *****.

Fox A is shielding away from fox B then bairs oos
Fox B cc's the bair Oos into an upsmash.
Whos in the bad position now >_>

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Considering the fact that Fox's safest oos option is probably shine, having his back turned doesn't hinder him much.

If Fox A were facing towards Fox B, the only thing he'd accrue would be his shield grab. Mind you, the bair would be lost but it isn't that big of a sacrifice assuming you know how amazing usmash oos and shine oos are anyways. For most characters I would agree, having your back turned in shield is bad. But Fox/Falco players don't have to worry about it that much.

My theory smash scenario:

Fox A is in shield, facing away from Fox B
Fox B waits for something so he can CC it and be smart and stuff
Fox A jump cancels a shine perfectly out of shield
Shine hits the CC'ing' Fox B
Fox A turns around and JC grabs

c-c-c combo

(this shouldn't work btw)

also, when you have techskill your Fox should be able to do amazing things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr1mhUPsCWc&feature=channel

Tomacawk

Smash Master
when you hit sheik off the map grab the ledge pretty much no matter what
you should watch more good foxes and see what good followups are to nairs at low %'s, and also practice your tech skill
and you should WD oos a LOT vs sheik. like if my shield is ever tilted I wd oos asap...usually away and if they do it again i go back in with shffl nair

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
idk then, I wasnt fooling around I was trying to win. And that person normally doesnt make as many mistakes.

It wasnt a tourney obviously but I felt that we were both at least trying to win. Maybe thats a problem then with my fox if ppl think im messin around.

Ill do a mm or something on friday and post it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Because thats the worst position you can be in the game. If youre opponent is behind you all of their options are open, if youre shielding and facing away you cant do anything but jump, roll, bair OoS and get grabbed/generally *****.

I didn't say bair OOS was good in a fox ditto. It's never good to shield in the first place in that match-up. I'm talking about Fox vs Falco. You have to shield his lasers from time to time. Assuming he isn't just sitting in one place laser spamming, and he's actually using the laser to close ground and put you in a defensive position, if you shield his approaching laser with your backed turned to him, bair OOS oftentimes catches him mid jump / run and with a useful hitbox that doesn't usually get beaten by nair or dair due to the fact that bair has range AND he's moving toward you, which in smash has a the strange effect of increasing the priority of stationary hitboxes. I hope we're on the same page.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
idk then, I wasnt fooling around I was trying to win. And that person normally doesnt make as many mistakes.

It wasnt a tourney obviously but I felt that we were both at least trying to win. Maybe thats a problem then with my fox if ppl think im messin around.

Ill do a mm or something on friday and post it.
My problem with that Sheik player isn't that he's making mistakes, it's that he doesn't seem to challenge you at all. Most of the time he sits in one place and spams needles or ftilt. It's more helpful to critique a video of a person losing than a person winning.

The reason I felt you were fooling around was because of a ton of unnecessary things you were doing. Moonwalks, shines to platform wavelands, shine firefox ledgestalls, etc. I very rarely saw a properly spaced approach. I think at one point you got hit by 3 uncharged needles in a row.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
My problem with that Sheik player isn't that he's making mistakes, it's that he doesn't seem to challenge you at all. Most of the time he sits in one place and spams needles or ftilt. It's more helpful to critique a video of a person losing than a person winning.

The reason I felt you were fooling around was because of a ton of unnecessary things you were doing. Moonwalks, shines to platform wavelands, shine firefox ledgestalls, etc. I very rarely saw a properly spaced approach. I think at one point you got hit by 3 uncharged needles in a row.
lol ok sounds legit. Ill get a better video to post

thanks

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
I didn't say bair OOS was good in a fox ditto. It's never good to shield in the first place in that match-up. I'm talking about Fox vs Falco. You have to shield his lasers from time to time. Assuming he isn't just sitting in one place laser spamming, and he's actually using the laser to close ground and put you in a defensive position, if you shield his approaching laser with your backed turned to him, bair OOS oftentimes catches him mid jump / run and with a useful hitbox that doesn't usually get beaten by nair or dair due to the fact that bair has range AND he's moving toward you, which in smash has a the strange effect of increasing the priority of stationary hitboxes. I hope we're on the same page.
Same page. but I wouldnt want a falco behind me either. If he was approaching lasers correctly hed be low enough to the ground and spaced far enough away from you that after the laser he could shield. Most falcos dont laser very high, or at least they shouldn't. So yeah he would have to be too close anyway for that to work.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i love shielding on a platform edge with my back to the person
then they hit me and i bair them

unless they're smart and they run past me to push me off and attack

Brookman

Smash Hero
why isn't shielding with your back to falco a good idea? its not like you're going to get a shield grab anyways. bair OoS is a really good move

This is a really bad argument and I like sveet's idea. Really do.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Falco is the worst viable character in the game, definitely worse than Peach and Falcon so I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Laser does sooooooooooooooooooooooo little. Shine does soooooooooooooooooooooooo little. Don't even think about comboing with him; they're all escapable with DI. Edgeguarding is soooooooooooo bad. He dies in one hit like every single stock.

Falco sucks.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
I can't approach for ****. Help me.

I habitually approach with nairs which gets me ***** more often than not. More and more I'm approaching with my shine, which is very safe, but won't work forever. The scariest (for me), but most effective thing to do is grab.

I've tried mixing in dairs which works wonderfully when I land them, and DDing while mixing in Jman lazers. I should probably do this more often.

I just want to know your guys' general approaches. thx

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Punish with Nair. Screw approaching.

I have come to realize that approaching is absolutely awful in this game in every conceivable way.

cykofox

Smash Ace
Punish with Nair. Screw approaching.

I have come to realize that approaching is absolutely awful in this game in every conceivable way.
quoted for the truthz. when you don't approach your percentage of messing up mathematically decrease. this game is gay.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
press buttons

assuming you've got that part down, attack your opponent
but don't shield, roll, or run away every time something you're not used to happens
you need to analyze the situation and find a way to stay in it, to keep pressure on your opponent
think of a plan to attack them, and then react to how that plan changes depending on what the other guy does
improvise more once you get in close; you can do more things than nair and shine once you're in

IMO fox is mostly about always having a plan, and changing that plan as you go
I'd like to think that this is a better idea than to not approach. Or..maybe this is what you guys were implying.....?

Top Bottom