• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

voorhese

Smash Master
i think spidersense moonwalks because of me.... or if not because of me (he did moonwalk before), he moonwalks better now because of me

Lovage

Smash Hero
Lovage, I said this on the livestream a million times, but why do you always recover onto the stage?

:psycho:

umm depends on the character but
if i recover low its like 100% or 0%
either i get hit and die or i recover with 0 damage

if i recover high to the center of the stage especially when i go to the top platform people miss their attack a lot for some reason, and if they do hit me it isn't as bad as if i got hit by the edge.

especially against samus because if i go really high the worst they can do is a sweet spot bair and if i DI it well i can probably recover with just my double jump. but if i go low and they guess right i get utilted and die instantly

i'd rather get edgeguarded for 300% and eventually recover then have them guess correctly and i die instantly

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
aw man

i never waveland near the edge platforms in tournament. I'm always afraid of sding.

good shield work, but you were a bit passive. More lasers and try to shine grab; he seems to be sitting in shield alot. Besides that, just work on your edge-guarding. Love you lookin' mad nice these days.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Thats not why its good.

It is by far his safest option when recovering. Not because people don't see it coming; tbh they usually do. Its the hard to hit Fox out of it. There are only a select few moves that can hit Fox/Falco going down at that angle. Unlike other spacie recovery options, if your opponent misses you're already at the ledge with invincibility. lol

A good example of why this recovery technique is 222 good is Donkey Kong. Every move Dk has either trades or loses to firefox. Bair doesn't hit because the sweetspot usually goes too low. He can't WD fastfall edgehog because he's too fat and will probably get clipped by the fire. Most characters can only counter it by hitting you before you start moving, or putting a hitbox out that lasts for a while (Fox/Falco's fsmash weak hit)

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Why would you grab them and not only give them their jump back but their up B/ Side B as well? Since they would have to Up B somewhere you can grab them I think an upsmash or Forwardsmash will do the trick better. Level 9 peach combos lol

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Because if you're Falcon, you can dropzone right after.

I dunno, I guess usmash would be better. Forward smash timing would be tricky though.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
If I was Falcon, I'd aim an fsmash down when they go for the ledge or forward if they come at me. Much more reliable than a dropzone Imo, especially against someone with good DI

With Fox:
Upsmash for the kill or juggle if their low enough, fsmash covers side b recoveries better and would knock them away from the stage.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Dang, a ledge-canceled firefox is vulnerable to Falcon's f-smash? that thing has like such a poor hitbox.

Wow, i'll be sure to do that next time.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If I was Falcon, I'd aim an fsmash down when they go for the ledge or forward if they come at me. Much more reliable than a dropzone Imo, especially against someone with good DI

With Fox:
Upsmash for the kill or juggle if their low enough, fsmash covers side b recoveries better and would knock them away from the stage.
No way in hell Falcon's angled fsmash would hit a sweetspot firefox attempt. Have you seen the range on it? Its hideous.

O yeah, d-throw spike lulz, that too.
Feels so good when you land this, doesn't it?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
hey raynex I have a question:

when I land a grab on a sheik at low percent (say, 0-10%) I never know what to do. sometimes I'm tempted to upair, or upsmash, or even uptilt. What's the best option?

edit: of course I mean after I upthrow them.:chuckle:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
hey raynex I have a question:

when I land a grab on a sheik at low percent (say, 0-10%) I never know what to do. sometimes I'm tempted to upair, or upsmash, or even uptilt. What's the best option?

edit: of course I mean after I upthrow them.:chuckle:
I recently had problems with this too, so I went into training mode with Kirbykaze to find out what worked at low percents.

Uair doesn't work because of how low Sheik's percent is. She can jump before you usmash as well. If you want to try and usmash to something else, go for a low percent usmash/sheik aerial trade. It will usually work out in your favour and might net you another usmash.

True combos:

Its pretty difficult to hit Sheik with an aerial out of an uthrow at 0. She can jump out really, really fast so you have to get out of your uthrow and start running in preparation for your jump->aerial rather quickly.

Nair is what you want to go for usually. It true combos at 0 regardless of d.i. The hardest variation is when you have to turn around and run to follow behind d.i. Make sure you focus on getting out of the uthrow as soon as possible. With neutral d.i., uthrow utilt combos at 0 and not much higher (7% I think). You can freestyle from there.

If you connect with the nair:

re-grab
utilt
turnaround utilt (more range, clips her if she jumps and sets up for more aerial crap)
usmash
shine

Nair->shine and nair->utilt are the only options that will legitimately combo, the rest are mix-ups that can get you more damage if your opponent decides to shield or attack, etc etc.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
now that we're almost at 2010, i was wondering...

do all us fox mains and peeps still agree that fox is better than falco overall? O_O"

just wondering..

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
No way in hell Falcon's angled fsmash would hit a sweetspot firefox attempt. Have you seen the range on it? Its hideous.

Feels so good when you land this, doesn't it?
Maybe you cant read, no one said sweet spot, he said firefox down towards the ledge. Down angled fsmash knocks fox down and away when he tries that. IF he had said sweet spot, i would just say up tilt - or- grab the ledge wait for the fox to land, the knee his little furry ***.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
are these nairs out of uthrow shffled or full hop? I didn't think a shffl nair would hit high enough and sheik could jump out and i have no gcube so i cannot test this..
i usually uthrow usmash sheik, i had no idea it didn't work lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can probably clip her jump if you're fast with U-smash. It has good vertical range.

Nair --> follow does more damage and has more combo potential, however.

You can SHFFL the Nair when she's that low (0-10).

edit: MarsFool, why wouldn't just U-tilt in most of those situations then? It sounds like it would work exactly the same, or better (referring to them coming at you or going for the edge). U-tilt has better range and stuff.

Meneks

Smash Lord
are these nairs out of uthrow shffled or full hop? I didn't think a shffl nair would hit high enough and sheik could jump out and i have no gcube so i cannot test this..
uthrow usmash shiek? wtf?????

um....that is pretty offensive to me, I am a vegan.
And I'm not joking.
I'll leave it at that.
He really isn't..

Lovage

Smash Hero
when you uthrow sheik at like 0-5, usmash works a lot of the time, sometimes you can combo it into another usmash, but that's usually if they don't do something out of it.

it's one of those combos that almost works, but a lot of sheik players don't realize what ur gonna do so they dont jump out. kinda like when marth uthrow utilt's sheik

Incronaut

Smash Ace
do all us fox mains and peeps still agree that fox is better than falco overall? O_O"

just wondering..

Lovage

Smash Hero
umm i think falco is slightly better than fox

but by only like 1% so it doesn't really matter
just matters who gets more representation (also falco >.>)

ForeverOdd

Smash Rookie
How to avoid sheiks sidetilt A and stop a roller

Im having issues with two things.

First off, I have a friend who plays sheik and uses the Side-tilt-A WAY too much. Once he hits you with it, its pretty much a guaranteed 5 hits. Any ideas on how to stop this?

My second question, I have another friend who rolls way too much. He will attack, roll a bunch, then attack again, and he is very good at avoiding my attacks. What is the best method for handling this?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Maybe you cant read, no one said sweet spot, he said firefox down towards the ledge. Down angled fsmash knocks fox down and away when he tries that. IF he had said sweet spot, i would just say up tilt - or- grab the ledge wait for the fox to land, the knee his little furry ***.
My bad, I thought we were talking about diagonally angled firefoxes.

You have to SH nair to get it to combo. Though full hop nairing would probably work, it would leave you at a big disadvantage. You hit her, go flying high in the air, she recovers because she's below 20% and chases you with utilt and other stupid things. Nair does hit high enough, don't worry.

Fox is better than everyone. >_>
True dat.

Falco wins the match-up but Fox is the better character overall.

Top Bottom