• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ccrackpot

Smash Rookie
Some quick questions.

1.Is waveshining possible on every char, at every percent? Is it enough, to do the "Long" wavedash to close up, or do I have to doublewavedash or walk/dash after it a bit?

2.When I play falco, I just fail to wavedash. With Fox, I can just do it the whole day, but with Falco, I just fail. Any reasons/tips on that?

Ty!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
1. Some characters fall over from shine, others slide away too far to get direct followups (Luigi). Shine has fixed knockback, so percents don't matter. I think you have to walk a bit for some of the further sliding ones, but i don't really know.

2. Falco's shine produces more hitlag because it deals more damage, so you have to wait longer before you can start to jump out of it after hitting somebody (falco's jumpsquat is also longer, so you have do wait longer before you can airdodge out of the jump, but if you can wavedash with him, you're doing that correctly anyways).

g_f

Smash Cadet
when is it a good idea to throw a jab right after your l-canceled shdrill (as opposed to more conventional option such as shine or grab when you land in front of your opponent, either after hitting him or his shield or having whiffed)? is it a good option for closing space in case you barely whiff the dair? is it practical for pressuring shields? shall it be used after your drill actually catches the opponent's hurtbox, maybe so that you can set up an upsmash?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I got to play Chu in a single friendly on stream today. He "accidentally" picked FD. lol

@ 5:35:30
http://www.twitch.tv/dcesportslans/b/513308812

I played pretty bad the first few stocks, but then I started to get it together. Which way do you guys throw when the other climber is nearby? Or should I just not grab when that's a possibility? I also felt like I was using too many aerial shines. I was doing it in our tourney set and it was working, but that's because I had plats to WL onto. I just hate trying to L-cancel when aerialing ICs double shield. -.-

Last edited:

KP17

Banned via Administration
g_f, in the rare case that your opponent SDIs such that the last hits of drill miss, he will be out of stun such that his grab will be out earlier than yours, and shine whiffs bc of the SDI, jab may be the only option. i would either jab grab or dash away or jump

l will find peace

Smash Cadet
one thing that i think could be good if they sdi is to buffer a spotdodge. this also works if youre drilling on someone shield and your drill gets staled. if youre not confident in your/their timing and the risk reward of getting grabbed vs getting a shine is bad... could work.

Wind

Smash Cadet
What do people think of down tilt as of now? Does anyone else think that it's super underrated, or is it just me?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
sup guys. got some matches recorded and would like some input. i'm at a weird point right now with my gameplay. i feel that i understand everything about the game in terms of matchups. i also think that i'm aware of patterns in my game play and when others are exploiting them. the issue i have is actually playing as well as I can with tournament pressure. guess that comes with experience. anyway, i'd appreciate it if anybody had some observations/tips with this set. it's against C!Z, and for those of you don't know, this guy is mega ****ing good.
http://www.twitch.tv/tsuteto/b/513330097?t=8h8m12s
I don't know how to link times, but the set in question is at 08:08:12 - EDIT - foxed (haha) the link

when I lost, I left thinking he's just better than me and that I will need another year to catch up. but watching this set, it actually looks to me like I'm completely capable of beating him. I dropped a lot of combos that I would normally never drop (probably because I went into this set thinking he's better than me, and thoughts become reality ya know), wasn't able to get into position to grab the ledge (couldn't move properly), and made a few key technical errors that he punished brutally.
so besides bad ledge guarding and technical mistakes, were there any bad decisions or missed opportunities that you guys see?

thanks in advance

also would maybe like some input vs this falcon: www.twitch.tv/tsuteto/b/513330097?t=9h4m7s
i consider myself very good in the matchup but good falcons always make it close, and i don't think it should be that close really

Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
So I was practicing the other day and I noticed that if spacies/falcon Di forward at 65%- 75% you can fair>usmash. Really good when comboing from platform to platform

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Fair combos into usmash and shine (or any aerial, really) for ledgeguard setups at mid-high %s, but it's always DI dependent. it's most effective when you can do it at a percent high enough where they're likely to survival DI, but low enough where a usmash/bair won't kill [the fair typically builds enough percent to make those moves fatal]

and knowing that most people are going to DI away when it looks like you will usmash, the fair is not going to work. it's most effective when they're in the air outside of usmash range

edit-also, one of the biggest improvements i made in the past year of playing was cutting out all unecessary ****. I pretty much never go for a fair combo because I much prefer to take the strong bair and maintain my stage control. a LOT of players (even very good ones) will crumble under the prolonged pressure if you can just keep stage control for long periods of time

Last edited:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Don't really have much to say, but falling off the NC power rankings has sparked my interest in getting better again. i look forward to chatting with you guys more in the future.

SRGE

Smash Rookie
How do I go about approaching peach? I played vs a peach yesterday who probably was down smash abby in disguise. The peach used a lot of cc into down smash, and down smash in general. Once I got enough percent it was easy enough to knock her around, but getting the initial damage was difficult. Pretty sure they were sdi'ing my dair approach as well.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Looking for some constructive criticism of my fox. I'm trying to get rid of any bad habits and learn to punish harder. Thanks in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Wl4IqUt8s&t=2m0s
(I'm player 1)
- You missed shine OoS opportunities.
- You aren't tech chasing on reaction, and even your option coverage is kind of spotty. A good place to start is to just start expecting techs in place and then covering rolls on reactions.
- Falco side-B'd almost every time and you never punished it.
- You punish too many things with shine when you could have usmashed or grabbed instead.

Overall, just focus on using a lot more grab, usmash, and uair. Also try to polish your FH tech skill. You were doing a lot of bad FHs where it was obvious where you were landing because you committed way too early, and you kept missing your FFs and/or L-cancels.

How do I go about approaching peach? I played vs a peach yesterday who probably was down smash abby in disguise. The peach used a lot of cc into down smash, and down smash in general. Once I got enough percent it was easy enough to knock her around, but getting the initial damage was difficult. Pretty sure they were sdi'ing my dair approach as well.
Drill and grab are your go-to approaches for CC spam. If you think Peach was SDIing your dairs, you were probably just misspacing your dairs (overshooting so that the dair hits at the beginning but whiffs at the end) or making them really telegraphed (rising dairs from the ledge are common among newer players). To get grabs, you need to get good at punishing bad moves she may throw out in addition to learning to use your shield at the right times. Shielding dash attacks is really helpful, and shielding dsmashes (a little riskier because of possible pokes) should be a free waveshine OoS into shine/grab.

Aside from those moves, just focus on good platforming and spacing bairs. If you can't build the damage up quickly with drill and grab, you can always tack it on a little bit at a time with safe bairs. Just don't get predictable FHing above them or something though because they'll nair/uair OoS to trade or straight up beat your aerial.

Last edited:

JmanJ

Smash Cadet
- You missed shine OoS opportunities.
- You aren't tech chasing on reaction, and even your option coverage is kind of spotty. A good place to start is to just start expecting techs in place and then covering rolls on reactions.
- Falco side-B'd almost every time and you never punished it.
- You punish too many things with shine when you could have usmashed or grabbed instead.

Overall, just focus on using a lot more grab, usmash, and uair. Also try to polish your FH tech skill. You were doing a lot of bad FHs where it was obvious where you were landing because you committed way too early, and you kept missing your FFs and/or L-cancels.

Drill and grab are your go-to approaches for CC spam. If you think Peach was SDIing your dairs, you were probably just misspacing your dairs (overshooting so that the dair hits at the beginning but whiffs at the end) or making them really telegraphed (rising dairs from the ledge are common among newer players). To get grabs, you need to get good at punishing bad moves she may throw out in addition to learning to use your shield at the right times. Shielding dash attacks is really helpful, and shielding dsmashes (a little riskier because of possible pokes) should be a free waveshine OoS into shine/grab.

Aside from those moves, just focus on good platforming and spacing bairs. If you can't build the damage up quickly with drill and grab, you can always tack it on a little bit at a time with safe bairs. Just don't get predictable FHing above them or something though because they'll nair/uair OoS to trade or straight up beat your aerial.
Thanks for your criticism. As for the shine OoS, how do you do it when Falco is pressuring? Anytime I tried to use it diffuse Falco pressure I always get hit by his shine or aerial. Is there some sort of visual cue or timing where attempting the shine OoS is safest?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thanks for your criticism. As for the shine OoS, how do you do it when Falco is pressuring? Anytime I tried to use it diffuse Falco pressure I always get hit by his shine or aerial. Is there some sort of visual cue or timing where attempting the shine OoS is safest?
My general rule of thumb is to shine OoS/grab if the spacie does the aerial before reaching the peak of their jump. Here's a gif from Kadano of the latest SHFFLed nair that Marth is still able to grab. Since Fox's shine OoS is 4 frames instead of 7, you can shine OoS vs. aerials that are even later than that though. For an example in your video, just watch the very first shield pressure string. He does a really early dair that you could have grabbed, usmashed, or shined OoS. Just go for them all the time until you get a better idea of when they do a late enough aerial. A huge number of spacies never delay their aerials enough to avoid shine OoS, and when they do, you'll quickly realize what it really means to "late aerial".

Source

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
anyone got any good holding patterns for staying safe in neutral? even if it's just little sequences, i need to kind of start from scratch, as i'm trying to build a fox that's a little bit different than what i have right now. every little bit helps.

i haven't figured out how to envision these kinds of patterns yet, but i figure if i can get some good patterns to practice, i can think about other things when playing against people.

Tred

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble approaching camping peachs. i seem to get caught in down-smashes even if i DI up i still eat a good 40%, also turnip spamming. Any tips on how to approach without laser camping?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
option 1: learn to dashdance.
option 2: use platforms to approach.
option 3: use full hop mixups to approach
option 4: use platforms to camp her instead.
option 5: laser camp.
option 6: run in every time and eat a fair to the face

Tero.

Smash Champion
Guys I am seriously struggling with the Falco Matchup. It's been like that for ages now and no matter what I try to improve it never works out for me and I lose to Falcos I really shouldn't lose to (I do better with other characters even tho my other characters are way worse).

In short: I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Problems I noticed:

I'm not getting much % from hits, whilst Falcos always punish me way harder out of any opening they get
I don't convert anything out of shine knockdown, on the contrary I usually eat an attack after they get up and get comboed afterwards
I rely a lot on the neutral game and neutral game against Falco is just so different. I try to maneuver around lasers using platforms and I also try to WD ooS or powershield but it never pays off. As soon as I get in the air (fulljump) I get punished. It feels like they constantly rack up damage and need just one opening to get a combo going whereas I need to work really hard for that opening and cant convert nearly as good

I also don't get much edgeguards/gimps because most of the time Im busy getting comboed or trying to find a way through lasers
and my shine oos game is horrible so I need to work on that.

I don't have a video at the moment (should have one during the next few days tho) but any general advice in the Falco MU would be highly appreciated

Bones0

Smash Legend
Guys I am seriously struggling with the Falco Matchup. It's been like that for ages now and no matter what I try to improve it never works out for me and I lose to Falcos I really shouldn't lose to (I do better with other characters even tho my other characters are way worse).

Problems I noticed:

I'm not getting much % from hits, whilst Falcos always punish me way harder out of any opening they get
I don't convert anything out of shine knockdown, on the contrary I usually eat an attack after they get up and get comboed afterwards
I rely a lot on the neutral game and neutral game against Falco is just so different. I try to maneuver around lasers using platforms and I also try to WD ooS or powershield but it never pays off. As soon as I get in the air (fulljump) I get punished. It feels like they constantly rack up damage and need just one opening to get a combo going whereas I need to work really hard for that opening and cant convert nearly as good

I also don't get much edgeguards/gimps because most of the time Im busy getting comboed or trying to find a way through lasers

I don't have a video at the moment (should have one during the next few days tho) but any general advice in the Falco MU would be highly appreciated
I feel like you've already identified where you problem areas are. Based on what you've already said, you should just focus on these goals (I outline everything, but idk if that is as easy to process for other people):

- Study Fox vs. Falco punishes
- What kind of openings do I get that yield close to optimal punishes? (grab, usmash?)
- What kind of openings do I get that are yielding poor punishes?
- Shine knockdown​
- How can I get more high-punishment openings?
- How can I improve my low-punishment openings?
- Tech chase on reaction
- Anticipate certain options more than others by default; adapt to player tendencies
- Pay attention to when I can get the followup and when I have to play around wakeup options (shine, utilt, spotdodge, roll)
You can do similar outlines for defensive behaviors like how to DI to limit the enemy's combos or situations where you could shine OoS and aren't realizing it until it's too late.

Pengie

Smash Lord

Problems I noticed:

Well obviously Fox's punishment is a huge part of why Fox can keep up with Falco. Ideally you want to get a grab on him so that you can go with your most optimized and consistent punishes so always try to eventually convert whatever it is you hit him with into a grab. An easy one is FJ drill -> grab when you FJ to go over one of his approaches or if you manage to FJ over a laser at him. Another good way to convert into a grab is bair -> up tilt -> grab at certain percents that I can't remember off of the top of my head right now. This one is really strong IMO because your FJ and bair are really good at walling Falco out so the situation should be coming up often. You can also do nair -> shine and then catch his wakeup options with a grab or shield his get up attack and shield grab hims for it. Speaking of which, if you aren't converting off of a shine knockdown you should learn to react to his get up attacks with you shield and then react to his rolls by running after them. You could also stand outside of his get up attack range and then punish his other options, but this means you have to stand kind of far away from him which makes punishing roll away harder since it'll take longer to get to where he ends up. Once you get reacting to his wake up options down, your shines should start leading to grabs more often which means that now you have quite a few ways of landing a meaningful hit on Falco that should come up pretty frequently.

Once you do land the grab, the follow ups depend on where on stage you are and which stage you're on. On FD, you can CG him til about 40 or 50ish regardless of his DI. After this point, on no DI after the up throw, you can turn around up tilt into a variety of follow ups depending on how close you are to the edge; if you're near the edge, after up tilt you can hit them off stage with either a nair or bair and start your edgeguard on him. If it's closer to center stage you can regrab after the up tilt up to around 70 I think when they DI the up tilt to go off to the side. you can keep doing this until you eventually get them off stage so that you can kill them. If they keep DI'ing your up throw you can keep regrabbing until about 60 or 70 and then nair them off stage.

Platform stages are a bit trickier; you pretty much can't CG outside of a few instances, so after grabs your usually better off up throwing them (as long as it doesn't put them on a platform) and then either up tilting in to stuff at lower percents, or nairing at higher percents and tech chasing off of the nair. If you grab them in a position where your up throw would put them on a platform, you're probably better off forward or back throwing them off stage so that you can start edgeguarding him. If this happens at low percents where your forward throw wouldn't put him off stage, I like back throwing them and then tech chasing off of it because tech chasing off of back throw at low percents is pretty solid to build percent and reposition for a better punish down the road IMO, especially if they're trying to DI on to a platform expecting you to up throw them.

Neutral vs Falco is weird; Falco controls neutral with his laser, but he's pretty slow, so in the time it takes him to shoot a laser you can do a lot of things. One of the big things you should keep in mind is how much Fox can drift in the air once he's FJ'ed. Add in a double jump, platforms, and wavelands, and you've got a pretty good set of options to avoid his lasers while safely preventing him from moving forward safely. The ideal range to stand against Falco IMO is roughly the length of a BF platform; from this range, you can FJ bair when you think he's gonna laser, and if he does you can react to him, drift towards him, and space a bair so that it hits him but he can't get a CC punish. If he approaches you with an aerial or a laser, you can instead drift away from him and bair him as he whiff's his laser/aerial in a similar manner. If he doesn't do anything (i.e. does an empty SH), you can either DJ up to a platform to be safe, or you could waveland towards him and shine which is pretty much impossible to react to and is safe even if it misses because you can just FJ out of the shine and go back to walling him, or you could just land and wait for him to do something else. Having said all of this, you said that any time you try to FJ you get punishes for it; could you elaborate on how it is that your getting punished? FJ'ing is an extremely powerful tool when fighting Falco and you should be getting a lot of mileage out of it so if you aren't it'd probably be helpful to know how it's going wrong.

EDIT: A bit more on playing neutral against Falco that I kinda spaced out on; walling out Falco with FJ'ing is a only part of of it, the other part is abusing his slowness by taking advantage of close quarters interactions where your speed is a huge deal. Getting into ranges where he can't reliably shoot a laser because you'll nair him in the face for it is a huge thing to keep in mind and to try and actively achieve. Also from these ranges you should be weary of him preemptively sticking out a move to stop your nair, so keep an eye out and try to react to his lasers and punish them, but if you don't see him do the laser, don't just nair at him anytime he jumps because if he does a retreating dair or something you just got put into a combo. Also, FJ's help with getting into these ranges because you can drift and waveland and double jump and use different combinations of those three options so that you have lots of control in that situations where as Falco is pretty limited.

EDIT2: calling @ D Druggedfox ; we've been playing ad talking about this matchup quite a bit recently so he could probably offer some clarification and corrections on anything that I may have gotten wrong.

Hope this helps =D

Last edited:

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
http://smashboards.com/threads/fox-advice-questions-topic.98202/page-524#post-13737862

obligatory "here's the post I made in 2006" (but not really) post

for real though, I reread it and I actually think it's very relevant to the matchup and has a lot of good (though not fully fleshed out) ideas

edit: As far as shine followups, if you're waveshining and running ASAP you can actually get to where falco is consistently and just shield the getup attack. It's at worst a 50/50 with choosing to shield the getup attack, or not shield and just react to their roll options. In an ideal world you react to the getup attack, or just shield and WD on reaction to the roll but both of these are admittedly difficult. A lot of shine followups is also understanding the times you won't get followups, and simply thinking about how to abuse the frame advantage you get from chasing him down. Falco is slow, and if he doesn't do *something* he's just gonna get naired/grabbed/shined, so make sure to pay attention to what your opponent is doing to avoid that, and adapt accordingly (alternatively, if they're not doing anything to avoid it, just run up and hit them).

more edits: Once you post actual footage, we could probably talk about where you could be converting into more damage. It's hard to address punishment game if I'm not exactly sure where you're lacking? In general my tl;dr on people saying falco does more damage is... fox can do an easy ass upthrow upsmash, tech chase upsmash, upsmash combos and get more guaranteed damage than falco can get on anything >_>. That said I think falco does tons of damage too, don't get me wrong

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm new with fox and I noticed in a few of mango's matches that when he is hit far away from the stage, he would do a quick jump to up-air immediately after hitstun. Does this actually help with his recovery or is it just something mango likes to do?

An example of this is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUgDqrmhIA#t=2m26s
I don't think it helps, and I've seen a gif comparing a Sheik DJ fairing as she recovered with no noticeable difference, but some people will swear up and down that it helps. What I know for sure is that doing an aerial with Puff and Kirby affects your momentum. Kirby recovers further horizontally when he DJ fairs than if he doesn't.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
To be honest, I hate when mango does it because it literally limits his options sometimes (When he does it really close to the stage, it takes away his high side-b/up-b option, which should make him a lot easier to edgeguard) >_>

Pengie

Smash Lord
I feel like you laser a lot more than is necessary. Sure it racks up damage, but it also let's Samus get closer to you on her terms which can turn pretty troublesome for Fox. A good default action to take against Samus when you aren't really sure what to do is to just turn your back to her and start walling her off with FJs and bairs, and slowly take away her stage presence. You'd be surprised how hard it is for Samus to deal with your bair if you just FJ and pull away from her as you come down doing it, as well as how much damage you can rack up off of a few bairs. Something else to keep in mind is that your shield is amazing vs Samus because her grab is pretty ass; if she ever tries to CC one of your bairs, assuming you hit her with a strong bair, you can hit her, have her CC the move, and get your shield up before she can get out a dtilt/dsmash/ftilt. To cause even more problems for Samus, Fox can punish all of her common ground tools (i.e. Dsmash, Ftilt, Dtilt, Up tilt) by WDing OoS at her and shining, which then lets you get a waveshine -> upsmash or grab which is really solid on Samus. In general, stuff like FJ bair and shielding afterwards is super strong against her because she has a hard time getting you out of your shield and you can very conveniently FJ out of you shield to keep the whole nightmare going for her.

Game 1 you did a pretty good job of hitting Esam and racking up damage anytime he wasn't on the ground which is good because I feel like most Samuses that aren't Plup have a weird hard on for jumping which is awful for Samus. Most of the times that you get hit in this match seem to be because you got a little overzealous and Samus is pretty good at sticking things out to stop Fox from going in too hard. Something else that stands out to me is that you never really played a ground game with Esam, although to be fair you didn't really have to because he kept jumping so I'm not sure if that's because you were aware of this and focused on playing in response to how Esam was playing or if that's just how you approach the matchup, but I just wanted to mention that Fox's ground game is how he gets into the positions where he can wall her out with FJs, bairs, and shields.

Game 2: One thing that immediately stands out is that you recovered at roughly platform height; try to avoid this as much as possible because your up b is so long that Samus can take her sweet time using the platform to get her missile at just the right height to catch your up b. So this game Esam stayed grounded a whole lot more and you seemed to have trouble getting anything going because of that. As I mentioned earlier, your shield is stupidly good against Samus and this extends to the ground game against her. Samus is probably the character that has the hardest time dealing with Fox running up into her face and shielding because her grab is slow enough that you can actually avoid it on reaction if you have enough experience against it and punish her for doing it. On top of that, as I mentioned above, her main ground tools all get punished pretty badly if you block them so there really isn't much of a risk in running into roughly her max Ftilt range and shielding because she doesn't have a good way of getting around it. If Samus isn't jumping around and giving you tons of opportunities for free hits, try to think of ways to get into positions where you can start your wall. Also remember that Fox's DD is stupid good if you can make Samus stick out a move that you can whiff punish take full advantage of that so that you can push her closer to the corner so that you wall is much more effective.

Game 3: One big misplay that stands out here is in the first few seconds you get Esam all the way to the corner which is great! But then you ran all the way to the opposite side of the stage for some reason... Samus cornered by the edge is such a strong opportunity to rack up damage and possibly even kill her once you hit her enough times. She seriously has a hard time moving forward if place bairs in her face well enough. Another missed opportunity to gain the upper hand against her is at 7:28 in the video; you have center stage with your back turned to Samus and she's by the edge. If you were slightly closer to him, you pretty much had the ideal situation set up for you if you would have been willing to wait for Samus. In fact at one point he even runs forward and WD's in place which was a good opportunity to FJ and bair him in the face if you had been able to react to him. Remember that as long as you time your bair correctly, she can't CC punish it because you can get your shield up before that and if she tries to CC punish then you can WD towards her and shine to punish whatever she did. Anyway, what happened here is that you jumped preemptively while not drifting close enough to Samus to actually hit her and you got up tilted which is huge for Samus. In general I feel like one of the big things about fighting Samus is cutting out as many preemptive decisions from your play as possible. Samus is pretty limited at certain distances and there really isn't a reason for you to do something unless she tries to move into a position that's good for her. On top of that she's pretty slow, so you have time react to her decision and deal with it accordingly. This doesn't necessarily mean that you'll punish her for it, but it should mean that you aren't getting hit in silly ways because you tricked yourself into thinking you could hit her when you couldn't. Something else that's good to keep in mind is that while FJ'ing is really strong against Samus, it's also a horrible idea if you end up directly above her because then she can up b your FJ and that can range from not a big deal to a huge mess depending on the stage. Yoshi's in Particular is a pretty bad place to get hit like that because the platforms are conveniently at heights where Samus can get follow ups afterwards and rack up tons of damage and possibly even get a kill off of an edgeguard.

So overall, I'd say that you need to play more patiently and be more willing to wait for Samus to do something so that you can respond accordingly to it. You got overly aggressive too often and Esam got free hits on you for that because that's pretty much the nature of Samus as a character. Also, be willing to sit at a posintional disadvantage because Samus can't really capitalize on them as hard as she can on someone being aggressive at the wrong time; If you play intelligently while at a disadvantage you can work your way back to a neutral situation because Fox is dumb and has tons of ways to go about that, so don't go wavelanding on platforms or running at Samus without being willing to shield because she's pretty likely to stick a move in your face and you'll run into it.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Could I get some critique/notes to take? Please and thank you. I hadn't played since Apex so it felt good to have pretty good control over what I wanted to do. WF set will be coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVzqwFmh2o
Well first things first; don't nair at a dashdancing Marth from about 2/3 of a stage away, you're pretty much asking to get grabbed by doing that. If Ether had done a real combo you could have lost your first stock for doing that. Also don't nair at him from platfroms when he has tons of stage space to retreat and DD/Pivot/WD back and grab you. Both of the times that you naired badly you got away with it because he didn't actually think through his combo, but any good Marth is definitely gonna capitalize on you giving them free grabs and that should typically end with you down a stock. @ around 13:47 is like, the quintessential reason why lasering at Marth is a horrible idea; you probably should have died for doing that but whatever. When Marth is at the ledge like that, there is 0 reason to back off the way that you did. Most of his options for getting up off of the ledge can be easily avoided and DD grabbed and the ones that can't you can still DD and back off incrementally which let's maintain threatening positioning so that Marth has to respond to that somehow and you can punish him for responding incorrectly. Also if he doesn't respond and calls you bluff you also have the opportunity to just run up and grab him and **** him up for it. Instead you decided to give up all of your stage presence, and do the one option that lets him run up to you can grab for free.

Other stuff I noticed is that you play really far away from Marth, which worked because Ether was kinda just throwing out moves haphazardly. On the other hand, if the Marth player knows how to play a strong DD and ground game you won't ever really accomplish anything by play at that range. You also tend to arbitrarily decide to get in his face with stuff like FJs which would also get bopped by a strong DD. You should try ot play more at mid range when you get the game on your terms because then you can keep threatening him with something like a run up grab and he has to respond to that in some way, most of which are punishable if you didn't actually decide to run up and grab him.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Thanks guys for your posts, they were really helpful.

Platform stages are a bit trickier; you pretty much can't CG outside of a few instances, so after grabs your usually better off up throwing them (as long as it doesn't put them on a platform) and then either up tilting in to stuff at lower percents, or nairing at higher percents and tech chasing off of the nair. If you grab them in a position where your up throw would put them on a platform, you're probably better off forward or back throwing them off stage so that you can start edgeguarding him. If this happens at low percents where your forward throw wouldn't put him off stage, I like back throwing them and then tech chasing off of it because tech chasing off of back throw at low percents is pretty solid to build percent and reposition for a better punish down the road IMO, especially if they're trying to DI on to a platform expecting you to up throw them.
I haven't considered this much. I barely ever fthrow/bthrow off the stage so I should add this more (especially the bthrow to edgeguard). As for f/btrhowing while standing below a plattform: These are the only situations where I get a good damage output out of one of my hits since I'm quite good in converting out of plattform techchases (with uairs mostly), so overall I'd prefer this over going for a techchase on the ground which I am quite bad at.

Having said all of this, you said that any time you try to FJ you get punishes for it; could you elaborate on how it is that your getting punished? FJ'ing is an extremely powerful tool when fighting Falco and you should be getting a lot of mileage out of it so if you aren't it'd probably be helpful to know how it's going wrong.
Typing this makes me really consider how stupid my question is and that I can find answers to this all by myself, haha.
Basically what I problem is is that the Falcos I played just didn't approach after they lasered. So they kinda just baited my jump, waited for me to try to hit an attack and then punished my landing lag accordningly.

more edits: Once you post actual footage, we could probably talk about where you could be converting into more damage. It's hard to address punishment game if I'm not exactly sure where you're lacking? In general my tl;dr on people saying falco does more damage is... fox can do an easy *** upthrow upsmash, tech chase upsmash, upsmash combos and get more guaranteed damage than falco can get on anything >_>. That said I think falco does tons of damage too, don't get me wrong
I'm waiting for the matches to get uploaded. If they do I'll post them asap.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Thanks guys for your posts, they were really helpful.

I haven't considered this much. I barely ever fthrow/bthrow off the stage so I should add this more (especially the bthrow to edgeguard). As for f/btrhowing while standing below a plattform: These are the only situations where I get a good damage output out of one of my hits since I'm quite good in converting out of plattform techchases (with uairs mostly), so overall I'd prefer this over going for a techchase on the ground which I am quite bad at.

Typing this makes me really consider how stupid my question is and that I can find answers to this all by myself, haha.
Basically what I problem is is that the Falcos I played just didn't approach after they lasered. So they kinda just baited my jump, waited for me to try to hit an attack and then punished my landing lag accordningly.
Ahh Ok. If you feel fine with letting them get on platforms that's alright. I just think that tech chasing is a bit of a stronger punish route because if you hit them on a platform they can DI your up moves and tech on platforms and slide off of platforms and stuff to make you stop your combo. At least with tech chases you get to build damage in a relatively consistent manner, as well as being able to maintain favorable positioning if you notice that you can't get a good follow up. It's also easier to tech chase them into a position where the next hit you get puts them off stage than it is to do the same of of something like an up throw up air chain. Also, I'm not sure if you meant that you're bad at tech chasing in general or just off of f/b throw, but if it's the former, try to work on that because a lot of the optimal combos you can do on Falco involve nairing him and then getting a guaranteed tech chase as the worst case scenario. Also tech chasing off of shines which is obviously a pretty big deal if you can get it down consistently.

If Falco isn't approaching you after he shoots a laser, you can take the opportunity to drift towards him as you FJ over the laser and then, assuming you were spaced well, you drift into a position where he's forced to make a decision or get kicked in the face. Usually this will be something like either retreat to avoid the falling bair, challenge your descent from your FJ with something like an up tilt, or run under you. Having a platform to mix up whether you're gonna FJ onto it or fall through it in this situation is a huge benefit because it makes the up tilt option a lot riskier since you can just land on the platform from your FJ and punish the up tilt when it whiffs. Also you said that they usually punish your landing lag, but keep in mind that you don't have to do a move; as I said you could land on a platform, you could DJ and reset the situation, you could waveland away from him to punish him for attacking where he thought you were gonna land, or waveland towards him and shine/uptilt if they try to wait for something that's reactable because this option is ridiculously difficult to cover if you're trying to cover all the others, you could even land and do nothing and dashdance to punish an approach because you should have enough stage presence to back off with your DD and punish something like a dair approach. In short, Fox has tons of mixups when he's coming down from a FJ so try to think about the different options that you have available in those situations.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Thanks, Pengie. I'm going to be watching this set quite a bit... I'll respond later with followup questions, but I do have some super old habits and I appreciate the notice.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hey guys, is there a list or compilation of uthrow uair percents on every char? kill percents and what percent you can do it until? thanks!

Top Bottom