• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
getting comfy with all available jump buttons makes all the "distance" issues go away
I guess so, Im still trying to learn "x" though, I even JC grab with "x".
Im not very good with tech skill so I try to focus on movement & spacing before learning tech skill.

Btw, how do you guys reposition/stop yourselves out of a dash or dash dance? Do you crouch, wd down or shield to stop the animation?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Btw, how do you guys reposition/stop yourselves out of a dash or dash dance? Do you crouch, wd down or shield to stop the animation?
I dont think its important to stop your momentum after a dash with fox. Generally you are going to want to jump or grab/usmash anyways, and they all work out of dash.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Wavedash down in place is one of the best things.

Yesterday I noticed that it is one of the best things there is. After shining them down to the ground and they miss their tech, dash dance, follow their tech, but wavedash in place halfway, and bait them into spotdodging (do this fast and quick timing). Then punish accordingly. That's just one situation, but I can think of countless times where stopping from a dash/dash dance is great.

It's also very good when you and an opponent are having a dash dance battle. You can dash in, crouch to cancel the dash into a job, to jab them out of dash dancing. Very quick.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sveet. Are you kidding dude?

:phone:
No? I don't think moving forward with dash cancel is good. Shield and wavedash in place are good but I don't use them as much as just controlling my dash dance.

edit- this is only fox specific, and only my opinion

Bones0

Smash Legend
I started using WD down. It's great at catching rolls and other knee jerk reactions to seeing Fox run at you (or even away sometimes). If you primarily grab/usmash out of every dash dance, your spacing is really limited compared to being able to WD down or back and react to them. I use shield stopping as an even faster fake. If you dash towards someone in shield they will often just grab, so if you shield stop short of their grab range and do a mini fade away nair you can bait grabs all day. Then when you shield stop to interrupt dash away, they will be in the mentality of pursuing you to that general dash length, and suddenly you can catch them off guard with a bair OoS.

You can't crouch during the dash animation. True story.

kd-

Smash Lord
If you dash towards someone in shield they will often just grab, so if you shield stop short of their grab range and do a mini fade away nair you can bait grabs all day. Then when you shield stop to interrupt dash away, they will be in the mentality of pursuing you to that general dash length, and suddenly you can catch them off guard with a bair OoS.
Armada likes to do that, I always feel scared they're just going to walk up and grab me

Bones0

Smash Legend
No one is ever going to just walk up and grab you while you're DDing as Fox. If they do, then you must be playing super campy or something for them to not be worried about you just flying in with SHFFL nair/dair.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Oh, well that's a different story. I only hold shield stops when I think they are going to attack preemptively to deal with my approach. Like it's good for Peach's dash attack or maybe Sheik's ftilt. I'd use it vs. pretty much any char that likes to swing at approaches. You can always shield stop and just be ready to WD or attack OoS if they get close.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
against sheik i like to shield stop my dds, especially against sheiks who dash attack to interrupt your movement. usually ends in an upsmash oos/grab.

Zoler

Smash Ace
If you try to grab from neutral position you will get naired in the face.

So what kk said, scrub :awesome:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you try to grab from neutral position you will get naired in the face.

So what kk said, scrub :awesome:
Actually, because of how ridiculous Sheik's grab actually is you can often be grabbed for nairing at her face if she times it half decently.

But yeah... obviously the basic point behind your post stands. There are a lot of reasons why Sheik uses non-grab attacks vs Fox for most of the match. Understanding this will enable you to use shield effectively and fluidly against her - I assure you, it's a really good tool (she has no real set up for grab... she has to do it naked and it's scary grabbing Fox naked). But I don't feel like spelling out all the details of it 'cuz I do that enough as it is. Play vs Sheiks and think about why she's not grabbing when she's protecting herself with her legs & fair, or swings at you with dash attack, or pressures your shield to try and catch the jump. Focus on safety, and how Sheik fundamentally works as a character. You'll probably figure out some good stuff!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
ya damn right it's silent wolf

man the commentary on those matches lmao. some like, new guys who started playing in Project M (?) provided the streaming setup and seemed fairly adamant about commentating. then all they would do was read out the stock counts and periodically say "[losing player] has to bring this back"

edit: btw you guys should definitely watch losers finals (
SW vs Bladewise
), it was a really intense/down-to-the-wire set with a lot of good stuff on both sides. and then watch GFs (
mango vs otto
) if you wanna see some 2012 fox ****

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
well you only know that if you know what SW's real name is

...btw I edited my post to use spoilers tags so you should too lol

Top Bottom