• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Im having difficulty landing on platforms with aerials then dropping though with another aerial. To people who can do this quickly how do you personally do it?

:phone:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You want to avoid auto cancelling, as that will prevent you from dropping through the platform sooner (different landing animation). Make sure you're smashing down properly, otherwise you'll just crouch.

Can't think of anything else that might be causing your problems aside from missing the l-cancel but I doubt that's your issue.

dkuo

Smash Lord
you can ac aerials and isai drop through platforms (land>walk>drop) so that you drop faster than you're allowed to after landing

or ac > shield drop if you're fancy

idk if that's the problem you have though <_<

edit - if youre missing dropping after lcancelling you might be pressing down too early

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea Isai dropping is the solution to auto cancelling on platforms. However, a lot of times players don't realize they've auto cancelled and thus don't realize it's necessary to isai drop for the sake of speed.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I forget the frame data, but isai dropping is definitely SIGNIFICANTLY faster than waiting out the impassable platform mechanic that occurs for a brief moment after autocancelling an aerial.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I forget the frame data, but isai dropping is definitely SIGNIFICANTLY faster than waiting out the impassable platform mechanic that occurs for a brief moment after autocancelling an aerial.
this is true, but it was never specified whether he was l-canceling them or auto canceling them. if the aerials were being l-canceled, then isai dropping is probably sub-optimal (by like 1 or 2 frames or whatever lol)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah you're right. Idk what I do when I AC bair onto platforms and want to fall through.. I don't have any problems and I haven't bothered to learn how to shai drop or isai drop in that situation. I checked in AR and you definitely have to wait ~20 frames before you can drop through unless you cancel the landing animation with another action.

Also, i learned that if you dash and shield on either of the first 2 frames the game will make you roll regardless of where your control stick is. Useful information

voorhese

Smash Master
I roll it from straight horizontal -> -45 degrees (kind of lightly) I was told about it from someone who heard about it from axe.

kd-

Smash Lord
If you're referring to me, I meant I didn't have anyone to teach me this stuff and had to look up stuff like this in the past, must be nice to have a teacher -_-#. If not, just passing by here ^_^;

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Huh if any one plays street fighter just do quarter circle back shield. That's nuts! Just learnt to shield drop consistently awwwww yeah!!!!!

:phone:

D

Deleted member

for doubleshining, is using thumb for b and pointer on Y viable if you hold the controller normally (claw(?) just for doubleshine) or should i do it some other way

with that being said, how do U doubleshine?

voorhese

Smash Master
I slide from the bottom tip of Y to the edge of B. It is possible to do it basically anyway, I CAN do it by going from X -> B (lifting my thumb over A) but I prefer the other way, however with falco I HAVE to do the X -> B thing cuz his jump animation is longer.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
for doubleshining, is using thumb for b and pointer on Y viable if you hold the controller normally (claw(?) just for doubleshine) or should i do it some other way

It's very viable, that's how blunted object does it and he's quite consistent at multishining.

I don't claw my multishines though. I just slide from Y to B (also what otto does).

Edit: and yeah, with Falco I slide from X to B (otherwise I do it too fast).

Bones0

Smash Legend
I quickly move my left hand over top of the controller so I can hold down with my left pinky and press Y with my left index finger. It's way better than just moving your thumb back and forth from Y and B.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I swear there was an input thread on this board so we wouldn't have "How do I X" questions cluttering the Fox discussion...

I blame Bones.

Multishine (double shine) is really cool. Anyone recently find any new applications for it that we haven't talked about? This means do not say:

1) conditioning tool in shield pressure vs light chars
2) gimping tool
3) combo finisher near the edge (this also means don't say u-throw double shine)

I think there's some potential with it to do more but I can't really see what at the moment; I might just be trippin' balls anyway

Bones0

Smash Legend
4) Intimidation factor. In tournament, ask your opponent for a quick warmup. Then you just do a 10x multishine first try, quit out, and say, "Okay, I'm ready."

I can't really imagine any other applications. With Falco, I rely on it a lot to beat CCs, but that doesn't really work with Fox since they still slide pretty far. Maybe it would help vs. some chars trying to CCC out of shine though. You also might be able to shine people out of the air and then again after they land to avoid situations where they just land with no stun and grab you. Idk when you could set that up except for out of a running shine though.

Another thing I do is spam multishine when I'm trying to CCC something like a rapid jab. It's not really an application though. If I just spam CC shine it's too hard to react to it coming out in time to JC. So instead I spam multishine so when I finally break out of the rapid jab I doubleshine and have enough time to react and waveshine out into a proper followup.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
The applicability of wavedash out of doubleshines/multishines is much more expandable and interesting (right now) imo than the actual double shine.

Also, waveshine out of shield plz

Proskater

Smash Apprentice

I use B and Y with my thumb, no claw or anything weird.
I can do 5+ multishines pretty consistently with this technique.
It's all about how fast you go from Y to B, that's the most important part.
The smallest things matter because of how fast everything happens in the melee universe, so try to hit the bottom/left edge of the Y button and slide your thumb to B.

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
The applicability of wavedash out of doubleshines/multishines is much more expandable and interesting (right now) imo than the actual double shine.

Also, waveshine out of shield plz
I can waveshine, shinegrab, shine-upsmash, and multishine(and whatever else is possible) out of shield. I will put vids if people want.

I can also waveshine triple shines across the stage.

Edit: Disclaimer - I'm not actually any good at pvp, I can just do cool tech skill.

Top Bottom