• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Two cannibals find a clown, kill him, and start eating him. After a while, one of them says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

4 out of 5 cannibals agreed the other one needed salt.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Serious and important question:

I'm trying to perfect my shffl's and I was thinking about if it would be better to press jump (X for me) and then press A (this is what I do at the moment) or to slide from X to A (I feel a bit unconfortable with this at the moment).

If I press X and A I can do it pretty constantly but if I slide from X to A the nair comes out faster (for me this is only significant for nairs, because I use the C-stick for all other aerials).

Should I try to lern to press A faster or should I try to implant the sliding method in my gameplay? Any advice ?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Well, I would rather press them very fast in succession to accurately time when I want the N-air to come out. Of course, you could just time it with sliding as well.

Me? I just press them fast in succession.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
late nairs are actually better than early nairs. Weak nairs can be CCed and late nairs (the direct hit) can't be stopped as easily. i.e.: You can late nair and shine before Marth CC grabs or certain characters CC dsmash.

uhh, but if you really want to make them faster sliding works. You should really just train your fingers to move a bit faster.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Aren't early nairs better for covering a bigger area against DD campers?
Also, raynex, if you'd punish someone after a missed arial or something with a Nair, would you rather use a late or a early nair?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Aren't early nairs better for covering a bigger area against DD campers?
Also, raynex, if you'd punish someone after a missed arial or something with a Nair, would you rather use a late or a early nair?
He'd prolly grab instead in most cases unless he plays against Samus or sth

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If I wanted use nair I'd use the late hit. Its something that Cactuar taught me @ e52. He showed me and europhoria that you can't CC grab late nairs with Marth.

You get more damage and they can't be CCed as easily, so yea....I would late nair. Weak nair in general is dumb. If I'm going to fly in with something dair is better than early nair anyways.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Alternatively, early nairs are good in lots of situations too, and if this is the case, the easiest way to do it is probably use X>Z rather than sliding. It's got the same input as a wavedash, except your finger is on Z instead of R

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Have a couple of questions.

First how can I edge guard Sheik effectively? I just seem to never really have a good plan except for stand on the level and generally miss or edge hog and they just recover to the stage.

Also I play PAL (living in Europe) and was wondering as I can't waveshine Marth in any way due to him fallng down is it possible to use a thunders combo of some kind?

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
someone tell me what he's ^^^^ talking about with the thunder and what not.

and as for edge guarding sheik, my preference is to stay and the edge and force her up.
then read where she goes and get a free grab/attack.
then again, i have least experience against sheik than any other high tier.
and i suck lol

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
someone tell me what he's ^^^^ talking about with the thunder and what not.

and as for edge guarding sheik, my preference is to stay and the edge and force her up.
then read where she goes and get a free grab/attack.
then again, i have least experience against sheik than any other high tier.
and i suck lol
Nah you're pretty mush right here. I'm a sheik and I get real pissed when people grab the ledge. Forcing a sheik on stage is normally a good idea.

Another good idea is to mindgame the sheik into thinking you won't grab the ledge. While the sheik is offstage, don't get immediately on the ledge. Once the sheik's up+b animation starts, grab the ledge with a waveland (quickest way). That way, whether the sheik was going to the ledge or on the stage, you'll be at the advantage.

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
Nah you're pretty mush right here. I'm a sheik and I get real pissed when people grab the ledge. Forcing a sheik on stage is normally a good idea.

Another good idea is to mindgame the sheik into thinking you won't grab the ledge. While the sheik is offstage, don't get immediately on the ledge. Once the sheik's up+b animation starts, grab the ledge with a waveland (quickest way). That way, whether the sheik was going to the ledge or on the stage, you'll be at the advantage.
yeah, i've noticed that sheik will ALWAYS go for the sweet spot.
with peach, i like to be floating above the ledge with a turnip while facing sheik.
then as soon as i see that upB animation, i throw the turnip back towards the stage and ff to the ledge.
IT WORKS!!!! haha

edit: your sig is hella tight.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
vs. Sheik:

grab edge, force her on the stage and hit her back off. If you can kill her with usmash do that instead. If she starts airdodging when she gets close, just do the regular ledge get-up and follow the same procedure.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Not so much of a question...but something really weird happened. I ran off the edge trying to shinespike (just dash to shine, slid off due to momentum and missed), but instead of having the reflector, Fox just blinked the same color blue. I was really confused for a while so I didn't really try to recover, but it may have disabled me from doing so since I did sort of try at the very end but I don't know if I got to it in time.

Anyone had this happen before?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I've seen it before. For some reason, when you run off the ledge with momentum and shine right at the point when you hit the ledge (not before because then you'll just slide off with the shine), the shine animation will screw up. If I'm correct, you saw the little blue sparks that come out, but not the hexagon shape. Yeah, it happens.

EWC

Smash Ace
I was playing against marth the other day, and I shined him, and he fell down. Does anyone know what causes this? No, I wasn't playing PAL lol.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
He might've crouch-cancelled, probably at high percentages. Sometimes it depends on the character, but that's probably what happened.

.......or was that a joke post? >_>

brawlpro: thx, beast sig is beast >:D

EWC

Smash Ace
He might've crouch-cancelled, probably at high percentages. Sometimes it depends on the character, but that's probably what happened.

.......or was that a joke post? >_>
It wasn't a joke post.

Why would the percentage affect it? The shine has fixed knockback.

And wouldn't crouching have the opposite effect? i.e. if a crouching fox gets shined, they don't fall.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
you guys are dumb.

*practices waveshine on Luigi*
So... the only characters that people play here are Fox/Marth/Falco (maybe 1 or 2 Falcons or Sheiks or Samuses).

That being said, my experience is lacking against Sheiks and Falcons, as well as other characters (Luigi, Jigglypuff, etc. etc.)

I take it the only way I can "prepare" for future matches ( at tournaments and whatnot) is to just see what combos work on those characters, and watch vids?

Also, do you think shine oos would be worth learning? I know it definitely has its ups, but tbh I'm really bad a jcing shines.

EDIT: Noob question. How come you can shine from the cg of marth at like 20%, but you can't jump out of fox's uthrow-> usmash until around 60%? I thought Fox's uthrow goes higher than Marth's? (Of course, I could be completely wrong and you can jump out earlier. I just want some clarification)

PB&J

Smash Hero
why is jman so beast now..he def does really good against m2k...with fox..to4 is going to be so beast..get better soon jman

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
So... the only characters that people play here are Fox/Marth/Falco (maybe 1 or 2 Falcons or Sheiks or Samuses).

That being said, my experience is lacking against Sheiks and Falcons, as well as other characters (Luigi, Jigglypuff, etc. etc.)

I take it the only way I can "prepare" for future matches ( at tournaments and whatnot) is to just see what combos work on those characters, and watch vids?

Also, do you think shine oos would be worth learning? I know it definitely has its ups, but tbh I'm really bad a jcing shines.

EDIT: Noob question. How come you can shine from the cg of marth at like 20%, but you can't jump out of fox's uthrow-> usmash until around 60%? I thought Fox's uthrow goes higher than Marth's? (Of course, I could be completely wrong and you can jump out earlier. I just want some clarification)
First off, I play almost every single character in melee. I'm not saying that I am particularly good with any of them. But if I had to make a list of the characters I play:

Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, Roy, Mewtwo, Ganon, Pikachu, Mario/Luigi/Doc, DK, Zelda, Jiggs/Links/Sheik/Peach rarely and Bowser for sure. lol holy **** I need to start playing yoshi, ICs and Pichu. o_0

Most fun: Falcon, Mewtwo, DK

Tourny characters: Fox, Falcon, Falco.
lol I'm dumb I just realized you meant characters we play AGAINST.

Shine oos is good, and hard. I practice, because learning to do that 100% can come in handy. If you by chance pick it up through practicing every now and then, it'll be amazing to whip out. A counter-attack oos on FRAME 1 that leads to literally anything. BROKEN. Think of it as a"you get to do any move you want after this move" type thing.

Fox's does throw people higher.

But you are forgetting about one crucial element in CGs. Its basically what makes or breaks them.

HIT-STUN. Fox's uthrow keeps your opponent Fox/Falco stunned @ 80%+ so you can land charged usmashes. supa-gay.

edit: lol can't sleep. its my b-day. 19 *****es!!

Tero.

Smash Champion
I was playing against marth the other day, and I shined him, and he fell down. Does anyone know what causes this? No, I wasn't playing PAL lol.
Probably he was in the air when you hit him.

soap

Smash Hero
happy birfday raynman

can u shine oos without leaving the ground, i can only do the slightly sh shine oos and its hard to follow up, but u can cancel it quicker.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
Have a couple of questions.

First how can I edge guard Sheik effectively? I just seem to never really have a good plan except for stand on the level and generally miss or edge hog and they just recover to the stage.

Also I play PAL (living in Europe) and was wondering as I can't waveshine Marth in any way due to him fallng down is it possible to use a thunders combo of some kind?
I read somewhere that Marth is too light, and thunders works only at very low percents, otherwise the jab will just pop him up.

Top Bottom