• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Falcinho

Smash Ace
^Er, that's still not too safe.

When your floating through Samus' shield (with or without aerial) she can just upB out of shield with her stupid invincibility.
You usually shouldn't even have enough time to land AND to utilt.
Maybe with an empty SH, but if the Samus isn't stupid she won't fall for it very often. cuz all she has to do is time her upB a bit earlier.

@RaynEX:
Yeah, when i don't play for some weeks, i'm awsome at fail spacing xD

When you always land too far to hit with the shine, try floating a bit longer through the air before doing your aerial.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
When your floating through Samus' shield
But Fox doesn't "float" through lol, he freaking speeds through that shiz. Many Samus players are well adapted to having an aerial land in their shield and then Up B before the shine, this throws them off at the very last.
The only time I've got Up Bed while trying this is if I started the SH Nair too early/too far away from the Samus

Idk, CunningKitsune told me about it and I started using it. I now have a much much easier time in Samus vs Fox and it's becoming one of my favorite matchups.
Maybe with an empty SH, but if the Samus isn't stupid she won't fall for it very often. cuz all she has to do is time her upB a bit earlier.
Easier said then done. The Samus should be aware that if the Fox catches on and mindgames her into doing it, she'll get *****. Missed Up Bs are too easy to punished and I'm sure most Samus players would rather take wavedash out of there shield away from the uptilt.
Basically, likewise, the Fox player won't fall for it very often.

EWC

Smash Ace
Maybe you could try baiting the up-b with like an empty shorthop waveland past their shield. They'll have enough lag to do just about anything to them when they land.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I land in front with dair and hit with it, but I'm too far to shine. lol who overshoots so far that they land BEHIND their opponent? Thats called fail spacing.
Just try to space it so you land more "inside" him then I guess?
idk why you're having more problems with this against samus then anyone else.... Either the Samus' is SDI'ing, or there's something with Samus' "im stunned" animation that makes you miss.

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
what's a good char to practice drill shines infinites on?
i was using marth but i suck.
i'm guessing i'm not wave dashing good enough.
cuz i think he can always roll away or block it.

falcon?
doc?
link?
lmao idk
i don't wanna make a thread though. lol

i noticed that with peach (and prolly link and a few others), the shine won't send her too far to dair over her leading to a reverse waveshine so you can keep going even when you get to the edge. lol

i'm really tired and rambling but someone give their oppinion plz.

p.s. i suck.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Link/Peach/Falcon are good to practice waveshine on. imo, more than one or two waveshines isn't necessary, because your main objective is to get the free hit it offers. i.e.: usmash or grab, because they have the potential to deal the most damage.

Ideally what you are looking for is waveshine -> for big damage or a kill. Dsmash sometimes, and aerials can be used if you think they won't CC.

Vs. Samus: Now that I thnk about it, the times I missed the drillshine, I never hit with the last hit of dair. w/e I'll just camp all day and usmash.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Does the uair really give you addtional height?

Like if you get knee'd or sth can DJ-uair give you the mini-amount of distance you need to get back on the stage?
I saw SW and Mango do it, but i never read anything about it =/

PS: Both Fox and Falco

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
A few questions.

If you land in the middle of your uair (ie. when Fox is upside down) you don't need to l-cancel it, right? I ask because sometimes I ff my sh uairs too soon and land early.

Is there any way to avoid uthrow -> usmash in a fox ditto @ really early percentages? It's like a free 20% damage.

What are your opinions on boost grabbing? I've heard that it's pretty decent on Fox but I think JC grabs would do better?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
A few questions.

If you land in the middle of your uair (ie. when Fox is upside down) you don't need to l-cancel it, right? I ask because sometimes I ff my sh uairs too soon and land early.

Is there any way to avoid uthrow -> usmash in a fox ditto @ really early percentages? It's like a free 20% damage.

What are your opinions on boost grabbing? I've heard that it's pretty decent on Fox but I think JC grabs would do better?
Even if you don't have to, which I don't know, it's not going to hurt you to l-cancel it. Upthrow to upsmash is guaranteed for a decent amount of percentage until you can jump or shine out, which isn't until like mid 60s or something.

Boost grabbing is useful for nair grabbing where you know the nair hits. Like doing the Fox vs Fox upthrow (they DI it) nair to regrab. There are cases where the boost grab is much easier than trying to JC grab it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I've never had problems combo-ing using JC grab. Videos of m2k, pc and the like don't seem to show otherwise either. I think JC grabs are just fine.

Uair should always be lcancelled unless you full hop it and do it at the top of your jump. That is only part of your jump where it finishes before you hit the ground (autocancels).

EWC

Smash Ace
it does give you slightly better horizontal momentum
dair does a significant amount but can only be used if you have enough room ( you DI'd up)
Really? I never knew that. I've always just done it anyway lol.

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
when you say boost grab, are you talking about dash attack cancel grab thing? lol
sorry i'm hella noob.

and earlier. i meant learning to do drillshine infinites, not waveshines.
i know only certain chars can be waveshined.
but i was wondering who can be drillshined?
maybe i'm using the wrong terminology here.
i mean when you dair/shine/wd/reapeat.
i'm not saying it's the most commonly needed skill but yeah.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
when you say boost grab, are you talking about dash attack cancel grab thing? lol
sorry i'm hella noob.

Yes.

You can drillshine (repeat) on any character that doesn't fall from shine.

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
sorry i'm hella noob.

you are the best!

he probably means jump canceled grab

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
Yes.

kk thanks.
and i'm assuming that if you can waveshine a char, you can also get away with drillshining them and dairing through or over them once to start drillshining the opposite way.
(which would make it an infinite on any stage)
i suck at explaining things. lol

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
you are the best!

he probably means jump canceled grab
well i think they were comparing boost grabbing to jump canceled grab...
which would mean NO hahaha
that's not what they meant.

i think it's when you grab after canceling the dash attack. (for the boost it gives you)

i don't think it's something you NEED to do.
i find it most effective against marths who miss a nair then run away. but i'm garbs at smash.

edit: sorry for quadruple post!!!!

Frames

DI
well i think they were comparing boost grabbing to jump canceled grab...
which would mean NO hahaha
that's not what they meant.

i think it's when you grab after canceling the dash attack. (for the boost it gives you)

i don't think it's something you NEED to do.
i find it most effective against marths who miss a nair then run away. but i'm garbs at smash.

edit: sorry for quadruple post!!!!
watch it with the double posts or i wont take u out for ice cream young man (aka u gonna get b&)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yes.

huh?

You must be magical, because I can't drillshine Luigi, ICs and sometimes Mario/Doc over and over again. lol you guys and your magical waveshine tricks.

These days, people know how to d.i., so landing another drill isn't worth the time. Why delay the inevitable? Just grab or usmash dat hoe.

I.B

Smash Lord
i think they're using super awesome di inwards on the shines which makes it possible, Raynex.

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
we call if forfeit DI lol
haha well i'm having trouble drillshining marth across the screen. lol
i know it's not exactly the safest thing to learn, but i would like to be able to do it.

and i'll watch the double posts. mybad.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
So a neutron walks into a bar and gets a very expensive drink. He asks the bartender, "How much will this cost me?"

The bartender replies: For you, no charge.

Captain Grenade

Smash Apprentice
So a neutron walks into a bar and gets a very expensive drink. He asks the bartender, "How much will this cost me?"

The bartender replies: For you, no charge.
LMAO hahhaha

i highly doubt this is what he meant by "spam better jokes" HAHA

but that's a lot better.

barlw lover better step it up!!!! haha

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Two atoms are in a bar. One turns to the other and says,"I believe I lost an electron." The other atom says, "Are you sure?" To which the first atom replies, "I'm positive."

Top Bottom