• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

leffen

Smash Champion
drill reset is fine at times

but i really cant get why people think you need to do a 6 hits

just get 1 or 2 hits, its enough and they can't sdi off

is it that hard to piece it together lmao

voorhese

Smash Master
I have had good results with it if i Jump so that my 1st hit will hit them right away, but I am not super high above the platform, then fast falling -> dair... I don't play people who are good at smash DI'ing but I am with leffen on this one.

RyeJew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it could be seen as an occasional mix-up from the usual uair (depending on mu& %s ofc)
Also if you know how they'll react to it/di, then you can punish that simply or edge cancel it into bair or something neat.
Can also wreck some bad habits of cc and force ground options on your opponent off of reset.
*shrugs*
Couple of examples of other mix-up dair usuage
Reset vs puff
Replacement for uair vs puff
Combo>reset on platform (fox ditto)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
it's probably a lot better if you wait hella long before drilling so that they don't DI off the platform. but even then they can mash A and get a getup attack. I think uair's better

Bing

Smash Master
awww yeah. Drill all day. I agree though that if you see them going off the ledge you can still chase and have plenty of options, But you also have to consider that sliding off the ledge isnt always an option especially if you get them in the middle of the platform, in which you can catch them in a tech trap.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dair reset is cute on flatland but I dislike it on platforms.

That said, I use it sometimes. Mostly if I'm up by a lot and want to style. Otherwise I stick to uair, bair, nair, or WL into moveset. Because those are more reliable.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
You can do a drop zone Bair after the drill on a platform at PS in fox dittos. Bair has a good hitox that can cover a good section of the platform.

Geez

Smash Cadet
Welcome kid

I Also watched javi vs that European fox player (forgot his name sorry) real good set as well just thought the European fox player focused on getting grabs way to much. overall real good set

:phone:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Hello, any and everyone.

While working on my garbage fox I noticed that dthrow leads to a pretty easy tech roll chase JC upsmash. I've gotten it consistently, all you have to do is read the roll and if they don't get it just jab reset and do it immediately.

I assume this doesn't work for some reason though since I never see this at high levels.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Hello, any and everyone.

While working on my garbage fox I noticed that dthrow leads to a pretty easy tech roll chase JC upsmash. I've gotten it consistently, all you have to do is read the roll and if they don't get it just jab reset and do it immediately.

I assume this doesn't work for some reason though since I never see this at high levels.
-they can DI the throw which makes reacting infeasible, especially against characters with lower traction/longer techrolls

-jab resets suck, especially vs floaties

It's usable situationally vs jigglypuff... I wouldn't recommend it vs anyone else.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Yo, so i got the urge to play smash again.

I want some concepts of how i should play neutral game against IC's and Doctor (characters of the best players in Denmark)

For IC's: What are you general ideas of avoiding to ever get grabbed? What do you do once you have them separated (kill Nana obv, but what are some effective ways?)

For Doc: What are the weak parts of Doc, and how do i abuse them?

I know it isn't very specific, i guess i'm just looking for some general ideas and conceps of how i should approach the matchups.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you can react dthrow techchase if you're REALLY on point. it also helps that hardly anyone techs fox's dthrow in place

it's not bad but you gotta be super baller

Bones0

Smash Legend
Dthrow can work any time you have them pinned at the ledge cause you can dash away to cover the tech roll, and then dash back to cover all of the other options. You do have to be on point to react to techs in place, and like Winston said, dthrow just doesn't agree with some of the lower traction characters.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow can work any time you have them pinned at the ledge cause you can dash away to cover the tech roll, and then dash back to cover all of the other options. You do have to be on point to react to techs in place, and like Winston said, dthrow just doesn't agree with some of the lower traction characters.
Can they also just DI so they slide off the stage? I'm pretty sure this works but I might not be remembering correctly or reading your post correctly (or I might not realize how Fox can cover DI off-stage).

Bones0

Smash Legend
how do you hit the opponent with that shine lol..i been wanting to learn it so bad
There's nothing to know. They just have to be close to you.

#FreeUnknown

Can they also just DI so they slide off the stage? I'm pretty sure this works but I might not be remembering correctly or reading your post correctly (or I might not realize how Fox can cover DI off-stage).
Yeah, if you are too close or the character is too slippery/too high of a %, that can happen.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
So, dthrow up smash seems to be questionable at best vs not falcon (I figure it's important I add that I was doing it against falcon lol).

For IC's: What are you general ideas of avoiding to ever get grabbed? What do you do once you have them separated (kill Nana obv, but what are some effective ways?)
I wonder this too.
After watching M2k and unknown play the MU here are some thing I picked up. I just picked them because I enjoy watching them.

M2k:
  • Laser. Esp turn around lasers. Icies can't catch you. Even if they can, no Icies I've seen will chase anyone aggressively since nana is oh so quintessential
  • sh or full jump and shine at head level, this is hard for them punish and can be instrumental to breaking them up
  • If you are going to attempt an aerial on shield, do it in such a way that you can follow it up asap with pressure (falling nair close to the ground? not sure who get's frame advantage)

unknown:
  • Nair through shield
  • Don't do rising nairs/at the peak of the jump in front of Icies
  • Don't ever attempt an unsubstantiated up smash

And this didn't come up but I would think to avoid fsmash. It's easy to WD OoS and even easier to shield grab.
Someone with more experience can help you better however.

As far as killing nana goes if you can shine her by a ledge she really won't even react to it most the time and she'll just fall and die. I say if you can get her off stage get on the ledge so you are safe from popo and edge guard her with rising bairs because it's not like she has a concept of mixing up her recovery or good DI. If you get them separated on stage, really just do what will lead to kill move or nair/bair and shine her until she is by the ledge or off stage. Those moves specifically because they are all very fast and have good knockback. Something you don't wanna do is try to fsmash her like three times. That takes more time and if you miss one she'll run back to popo.

Top Bottom