• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

PB&J

Smash Hero
It has been actually frustrating me lately watching people dash dance so far away and letting people back from the ledge. Closing the gap,makes a big difference i think

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@Sveet some of those recoveries are mad terrible

Don't ever give a Marth that's not jumping out to kill you easy Fsmash edgeguards by conveniently landing at their feet
Also get better at sweetspotting from below the ledge so they can't just ledgehop spike for free ... make them change their timings or try something different

Shorten!!

Ledgehop illusion kinda sucks if they're just standing away from the ledge ... waveland on the lip or something <_<

I'm sure someone else can talk about punishing harder because you never hit him that hard off a clean hit / grab ~_~

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well the set is kinda unique. Teczero and I had played for hours and hours the week before this tournament (i housed him for like 3 days), so there was a strong metagame between us. Probably ~30 hours of smashfests. He won the majority of our games, so I was basically making up a lot of stuff on the fly to keep him on his toes during this set.

As for my recoveries, i didn't go low very often because I already learned how efficient he is at covering low recoveries. For the record, I commonly use at least 3 shorten lengths as well as various low sweetspots; while these work on 99% of players at least once, tec0 beat them the first time he saw them. I was mostly looking for ways to 1) get my jump back, 2) force an error (wiff/get hit), 3) get hit by a move that will send me on stage or upward. I also messed up a few of my recoveries and died for it (1/game i think).

Honestly, I choose to keep my distance for many reasons. 1) its not always my job to close the distance. 2) it is safer to engage somewhere other than the edge.

For #1, by claiming the middle I have a physical advantage and don't have to move towards him. Also, fox can out maneuver sheik/marth by staying out of their range and exploiting their unsafe movement. If he must move towards me, this gives me better options to attack him than if he knew i was going to attack and chose not to move.

For #2, another lesson i learned a while back. Holding the edge is actually a fairly defensible position, though moving forward from there can be quite unsafe. I was simply choosing favorable ground.

Hidden option #3, the best option is often the worst option. Teczero is really good at observing and understanding what you want to do, so I often chose to wait or move in confusing ways for him. My tech skill was a little off but I chose to react to my own "mistakes" and allow that to confuse him as well, while focusing on fundamentals to get solid victories.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hidden option #3, the best option is often the worst option. Teczero is really good at observing and understanding what you want to do, so I often chose to wait or move in confusing ways for him. My tech skill was a little off but I chose to react to my own "mistakes" and allow that to confuse him as well, while focusing on fundamentals to get solid victories.
I find this to be actually really funny LOL.

Although I feel like I am more of a 'read' player than a 'textbook' player I'm not sure how effective this was against me tbh.

I will say that coming into this set, I had a definitive game plan and how to approach your style based on friendlies partially. So even though it might have affected me in some spots, it didn't affect me very much overall.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah, it didn't always work out to my benefit, but I had tried playing you "standard" and you were very experienced in it. Had to pull out the MW jank ;) Mostly it was like dash attacking or fullhoping when I didn't mean to. Instead of letting it get to me, I simply accepted my position and worked with what I had. Obviously having more control would be the best solution, but at the current time thats all i had to work with haha

Windrose

Smash Lord
I wanna know what kind of leaves he's raking in
wenbo, go fill a garbage bag full of leaves and drop it to the ground from a random height.

record the sound and listen to it.

you'll instinctively recognize this sound and feel that your hand wants to L-cancel this bag and proceed to pressing down b.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
its kind of crazy that as good as mango is, there's a ton of stuff he doesn't do. He never wavelands from the edge, doesnt shai/shield drop, doesn't shorten illusions, among other things.

stop it with your fancy tech skills guys, nairing better is how you win tournys.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
How often do you guys play smash?

How often do you guys practice techskill?

Interested in hearing from everybody.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
So vs alot of the more patient players at a tourney yesterday, I got into these "dashdance wars" with no real purpose or positives in the outcome (mostly against foxes now that I think of it), or I would lose ground at the end of it.

In the context of fox dittos, besides maintaining whatever space you already have and trying to push for a bit more, is there much of anything else you can do in the big picture? It seems like pushing too much is pretty much you just falling into their dash dancing so I ended up just having to take wild guesses and reads sometimes as to what they would do if I just naired them in their dash dancing. Sometimes it worked, other times it didnt.
bamppity bamp

Bones0

Smash Legend
He wavelands from the edge

:phone:
Only with Falcon. He doesn't ledgedash with spacies. He just WLs onto plats.

I play the one person who lives near me one a week on average. I practice tech skill around 1/3 days, but when I do I practice 4+ hours.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

This summer? I played 2 times a week minimum, 5 times a week around tournaments. Practiced tech skill for like 2 hours total the whole summer

Bones0

Smash Legend
normally I would go try to find a link, but not for this one.

I also did play/watch him in person when he came to impulse and definitely saw some
He probably only does it in friendlies, honestly. If he does do it, it's rare. His entire set vs. Armada he was WLing onto plats. Even on DL he was airdodging onto the platform instead of just ledgedashing into a free usmash/grab.

Brookman

Smash Hero
@Sveet

stream of consciousness

no laser. . . . too hastey in approaching. good shines good bair. . . .easy stock huge lead. . . . learn to D throw near the edge instead of up throw. . .

ooooh

even match. GET ****ED. . . dude good top platform. too hasetey to jump into a bad position and get scraped. teczero is good tho so .dam!! shine spike.

even match again. . . get ****ed up by being bad between stock. great drill shine into get ****ed for bad luck/position/timing. huge defecit on last stock. need more clutch shine here to even up. try to fore marth onto the edge and maintain control/build damage .

even match~~~

and you SD LOL!!

g2.

good CP to DL but zero got the sheik. Tech chasing. . . freedom. good shine grab bad up throw use :]

aaaah too hastey to side b. .

3-4

NOT ENOUGH LASER: see my guide.

drill to grab > drill to shine.

need to use lasers more. try to control the pace of the game, dont feeel you need to be the aggressor. fox plays excellently in the opposite style. both are necessary.

try to use laser/back air to build percent early. Don't go for nair until her CCis less functional.

made up the stock well but got screwed up ... hastey off the top platform good down tilt. roll. get ****ed .

build percent and play evasive rather than aggressive. good evasion opens up spots for aggression by forcing them to extend.

YS

you should watch some old Jman and m2k and pick up their laser style. good **** on the lead. maintain???
nope.

no lasers still. DAM waveland shine is cute. when you force marth to theedge with shine try to maintain control by abusing his poor options off the edge.

if nothing else. laser more.

risky risky. good platform play gets negated by letting him shield grab. stock lead. . . even.

it looks like you really lose a lot to yourself by not being able to maintain your leads and press for percent advantage as hard as you can.

laser.

chewed up on the top.

drill to side b ftl. GG!!

<3

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Let's talk about upcoming tournaments.

Big House 2. GOIN TO DAT
Rom5. GOIN TO DAT (SCAR is also GOIN TO DAT)
APEX. GOIN TO DAT

How bout you guys?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
@Sveet

stream of consciousness

no laser. . . . too hastey in approaching. good shines good bair. . . .easy stock huge lead. . . . learn to D throw near the edge instead of up throw. . .

ooooh

even match. GET ****ED. . . dude good top platform. too hasetey to jump into a bad position and get scraped. teczero is good tho so .dam!! shine spike.

even match again. . . get ****ed up by being bad between stock. great drill shine into get ****ed for bad luck/position/timing. huge defecit on last stock. need more clutch shine here to even up. try to fore marth onto the edge and maintain control/build damage .

even match~~~

and you SD LOL!!

g2.

good CP to DL but zero got the sheik. Tech chasing. . . freedom. good shine grab bad up throw use :]

aaaah too hastey to side b. .

3-4

NOT ENOUGH LASER: see my guide.

drill to grab > drill to shine.

need to use lasers more. try to control the pace of the game, dont feeel you need to be the aggressor. fox plays excellently in the opposite style. both are necessary.

try to use laser/back air to build percent early. Don't go for nair until her CCis less functional.

made up the stock well but got screwed up ... hastey off the top platform good down tilt. roll. get ****ed .

build percent and play evasive rather than aggressive. good evasion opens up spots for aggression by forcing them to extend.

YS

you should watch some old Jman and m2k and pick up their laser style. good **** on the lead. maintain???
nope.

no lasers still. DAM waveland shine is cute. when you force marth to theedge with shine try to maintain control by abusing his poor options off the edge.

if nothing else. laser more.

risky risky. good platform play gets negated by letting him shield grab. stock lead. . . even.

it looks like you really lose a lot to yourself by not being able to maintain your leads and press for percent advantage as hard as you can.

laser.

chewed up on the top.

drill to side b ftl. GG!!

<3
This has to be one of the best things I've ever seen

:phone:

Warhawk

Smash Lord
normally I would go try to find a link, but not for this one.

I also did play/watch him in person when he came to impulse and definitely saw some
Yea I wasn't saying he doesn't do it I just think its funny how he wavelands way more onto platforms than the stage from the edge whereas most everyone else is the opposite.

Top Bottom