• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

EWC

Smash Ace
Lol I didn't know I was being graded on style.

If you notice that your opponent likes to di the shine up so they can side-b, then you can do silly things like shine->wavedash back fastfall shine.

Maybe you could even make the second one a shine bair? Or the first one a double shine? Or both?

Man I wish I had tech skill.

Bones0

Smash Legend
My usual punish is uthrow, shine, WD, shine hog (while hitting them), shine-bair, Scar jump shine, drift down while they up-B, shine them again out of their up-B, then up-B back to the ledge. Sometimes I like to do fancy stuff though.

Van.

Smash Ace
My usual punish is uthrow, shine, WD, shine hog (while hitting them), shine-bair, Scar jump shine, drift down while they up-B, shine them again out of their up-B, then up-B back to the ledge. Sometimes I like to do fancy stuff though.
Quality post. Very solid humor imo

So how do yall feel about jabbing or buffering spotdodge to beat falcons nair-->grab at low percents, or techasing him when he DI's at low percents? Does anyone know of the top of their head when you can get nair/dash attack/upsmash on falcon when he does DI?

Also any large, comprehensive marth MU posts by top foxes someone could link me too? I appreciate it. I tried searching but to no avail.

Lovage

Smash Hero
your best bet is di + sdi his nair away and then buffer roll or try to jump before he grabs you

you def. don't have the time to jab in that situation, spotdodge can work but it makes more sense to stay mobile usually

as for comboing u can start uthrow usmashing at like 25 or something, use usmash if he DI's, utilt if he doesn't DI, use nair at higher percents.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Crouch > sidestep is a decent answer to illegitimate aerial > grab plays but beware of him simply doing another aerial (which happens). Falcon's heavy aerials are notoriously good against sidesteps.

Zoler

Smash Ace
If you ever land a doubleshine on Falco by the ledge, you can be confident that he'll have to up-B and therefore you should immediately go out there and shine him (because unlike Fox you don't have to worry about his up-B flames burning you).

In general as soon as you know Falco is going to be below the ledge, you should immediately go out there and shine spike.

Fox sometimes requires a little more finesse.
I'm pretty sure if the falco doesn't suck at DI he will be able to side-b. Not sure about getting on the stage but to the ledge sure.

Van.

Smash Ace
your best bet is di + sdi his nair away and then buffer roll or try to jump before he grabs you

you def. don't have the time to jab in that situation, spotdodge can work but it makes more sense to stay mobile usually

as for comboing u can start uthrow usmashing at like 25 or something, use usmash if he DI's, utilt if he doesn't DI, use nair at higher percents.
I thought if he didn't DI you could get Usmash from 0? It sure feels like it...

thanks lovage and KK :)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure if the falco doesn't suck at DI he will be able to side-b. Not sure about getting on the stage but to the ledge sure.
I actually think you're dead wrong. Find me a video.

Regardless, even if you're correct, the point here is that as soon as you know Falco is below the ledge and has to up-B you should be going out there to shine him. A lot of good Foxes still do not do this.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Can anybody please explain what is and how to do the PC Chris edgeguard? tried finding it but no luck in finding a solid piece of info on it, plus i've done a couple of times and it seems cool as ****. Thanks in advance

Oh and i'm asking here seeing as PC uses fox (just in case)

Zoler

Smash Ace

Regardless, even if you're correct, the point here is that as soon as you know Falco is below the ledge and has to up-B you should be going out there to shine him. A lot of good Foxes still do not do this.
I don't have a video but I played recently and we talked about this exact subject and with DI IIRC falco could side-b and survive every time.

Same should be done vs fox, just gotta learn the timing for when the fire goes away (just before it starts travelling).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Can anybody please explain what is and how to do the PC Chris edgeguard? tried finding it but no luck in finding a solid piece of info on it, plus i've done a couple of times and it seems cool as ****. Thanks in advance

Oh and i'm asking here seeing as PC uses fox (just in case)
The PC edgehog is when you walk toward the ledge and then turn around, with your forward momentum carrying you off the ledge and then you grab the ledge as you're facing toward it.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Pretty sure falco can side-b recover if they get a good di on the shineand jump asap. Should be pretty easy to react to this, since there's only one time they can do it, but you still need to watch for it.

So the tree should look like this: double shine -> did they side-b (if yes then dsmash or uptilt or shine them again or something) -> THEN jump of and shine them out of their up-b.

Point is you wait until after confirming that they didn't side-b before going off.

Alternatively, you could probably jump off and nair/bair or in such a way that it intercepts the side-b, while still leaving time to shine the up-b.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL40YkkWL4#t=0m47s

Lovage

Smash Hero
that vid isn't the situation they're talking about

personally it's tough to call

sometimes it feels like they can't, but i really cant say for sure

honestly doesn't feel that important, what kinda falco lets u shieldgrab them on the ledge in 2012 wtf

Tero.

Smash Champion
yes it's totally possible to side b to the edge (and even on stage) after getting uthrow doubleshined

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
honestly doesn't feel that important, what kinda falco lets u shieldgrab them on the ledge in 2012 wtf
I wasn't talking specifically about uthrow doubleshine, there are a lot more ways than that to set up a doubleshine by the ledge lol

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
You very rarely did 'wrong' plays with Fox when you played. Your matches are usually a good reference if you want a quality option in a simple situation that will usually work out pretty well.
Yea that was what aways was the biggest thing to me do what works and not what looks cool

@bones0 he can prolly teach me more then I can teach u about the new meta game

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
"He" meaning me teach you? I doubt it. lol I am probably around 2007 metagame. I just have 2015 tech skill which covers it up until I get exposed in first round pools.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
ummmm bones im sure its possible for u to get dd grabbed. ur probably just better then the marth u play

Bones0

Smash Legend
Nope, it never happens.

Obviously I get DD grabbed sometimes, but it's an aspect of my game I do not consider a major weakness. I don't remember many of my tournament sets ending with "damn it, I just kept getting DD grabbed."

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
I was watching Melee on stream during Zenith 2012? i think it was. A fox player was getting ready to play and the commentators were talking about how technical he was. During the match, he did something and everyone starting losing it and cheering for him. They said he did a "triple shine," and that it was incredibly difficult to even do a "double shine." So it was a big deal. What were they talking about? I play brawl but I am very curious about this.

Top Bottom