• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Lovage

Smash Hero
if she ever short hops you can dunk on her with full hop nair

big part of the matchup is getting right outside of her range and making her miss bairs, and then punishing with fastfall bair. the more nooby the puff the more easy bairs you can score just because they have slower movement.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Did you not hear PP and Mango commentate that was hilarious
PP: He's describing his ailments
Mango: what
I like mango commentary in general, but i didn't particularly care for him+PP

I'm anti-hype in general. I think in addition to giving the other guy more room to talk, I also need someone who gets really into the match in an energetic, hype way.
I think you and lovage would be good in that regard, he commentates similar to how you describe

Jake13

Smash Lord
I'm anti-hype in general. I think in addition to giving the other guy more room to talk, I also need someone who gets really into the match in an energetic, hype way.
KK plz don't commentate for a major again

Its not your lack of energy its your ability to get caught up in bull****. Mango would be doing stuff to pp and you're explaining something two combos back that doesn't matter anymore

It was like... elitist, elitist, that's good, that's bad, PRIDE

We get it you're gay

Everytime unknown was about to talk I got a little excited and then BAM: kk cuts him off

Sry for posting it in the fox thread but I didn't know where else he'd see it.

On a side note mango with that nair shine pressure dwam

:phone:

mers

Smash Ace
Y'all know about the glitch where if Ganon does a grounded up-B and you shine him, it counts as a grounded shine from where he started the up-B? So he essentially teleports down and then slides along the ground normally from the shine?

I'd love to think I discovered it but that seems real unlikely.

chillindude829

Smash Master
i didnt like KK's commentary either, then again, smash commentary always sucks

edit: to be fair it seems like being good at commentary is a REALLY rare skill for some reason

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think 99% of commentary sucks because you need to actually be high level so that you understand what's going on in the match. Being linguistically gifted like Dogy doesn't help much when all you can do is point out basic stuff.

unknown522

Some guy
Y'all know about the glitch where if Ganon does a grounded up-B and you shine him, it counts as a grounded shine from where he started the up-B? So he essentially teleports down and then slides along the ground normally from the shine?

I'd love to think I discovered it but that seems real unlikely.
naw, both Raynex and I have known about that since 2004.

Bing

Smash Master
Personally I've always loved KK's commentary. He might trail off and yes be two combos behind but you learn a lot if you actually pay attention. I think you should keep doing commentary David, we just need to find you a partner who will you keep you on track.

chillindude829

Smash Master
KK's commentary was fine content wise, i think im just spoiled by FGC streams where they usually have excellent commentary which not only describes the match in depth but also is just enjoyable to listen to, the latter of which smash commentary usually lacks

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think with very few exceptions, commentary is generally controversial in the smash community.

I think next time I'll just be a spectator and/or play friendlies :)

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I loved KK's commentary. I thought Raynex/Kage handled the hype part of the commentary fine, whereas KK had a lot of real useful insight. Sort of the same stuff when Lovage is commentating. Higher level players always have useful thoughts who gives a **** if they sound enthused

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
everyone whines and crys about commentary all the time. no one person is gonna please everyone. and if you wanna complain about anyones commentary theres a mute button you losers.
the true mark of a good commentator is someone who does his this and doesnt give a **** about people and what they think.

KK we should team in commentary
you can be the informative insightful cutie with a hat and ill be the random yelling roughneck that swears and makes jokes.

Bing

Smash Master
I want to see Unknown and Kage to commentary together.

Honestly I prefer anyone+KK's commentary over HMW+Phil only because... its basically just Phil with someone repeating his every word half the time.

Lovage

Smash Hero
lol, the reason everyone *****es about commentary is because smash commentary always sucks

partly because random n00bs get on the mic and never leave, largely because melee is really hard to commentate.

when noobs commentate and they try to really get into what's going on, it's one of the most excruciating things ever lol. everyone gets irked by hearing 30 wrong things said in 45 seconds. it's fine if random people commentate, as long as they are funny and or hype, or at very least not annoying/overbearing.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Okay, I've thought about the commentary thing. These are my thoughts.

Lovage is 100% right in that noob commentary sucks because it's misleading and generally wrong. For IMPULSE, I really wanted my commentary to be accurate content wise. I think I succeeded there. But my pacing was bad and I really couldn't get super into the sets because of fatigue, being sad about losing to M2K (especially after doing well game 1 and when I realized I could have CPed Battlefield because no ban in bo5 and I usually do well vs him there in tournament & friendlies [crappy mindset and not being ruleset conscious ftl]), and I had also been scrambling to house roughly 13 people at the last second because a lot of last minute plans were going down. I mean, no johns, but it's really hard to be hype when you're stressed about so many things and tired.

I do cut people off too much. I need to stop that and take a breather. I thought I was okay in that regard at the beginning but... you guys can point out instances and correct me. Constructive criticism too good.

Also, some people have mentioned my commentary at The Big House as superior to the commentary at IMPULSE. I have no doubt TBH had better commentary because I had two really big advantages there that I didn't have at IMPULSE. For one, I didn't have the stream in front of me at IMPULSE so I got no feedback from the stream monsters. Similarly, the other commentators barely gave me feedback between matches. When I did commentary at The Big House, Peef kept actively coaching me and telling me how long thoughts should be, and some practice stuff. I also had the stream so I knew when I wasn't doing a good job. Drekken told me the stream liked me so I figured I could keep doing what I was doing. My bad guys.

:muffins:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya but one thing for sure, you can't bring personal stuff when you commentate.. I mean if you are feeling sad already then you gotta suck it up and be strong for everyone. This is supposed to be for fun, it shouldnt be a drag.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
still waiting for impulse videos to go up
i slept through most of impulse lol was so sick that weekend, glad I didn't end up going.
I just won't do commentary again lol
u can commentate me any day kk

leffen

Smash Champion
I love KK/Lovage commentary myself. They may not be super well paced or hype, but you at least don't spew bull**** all the time ;)

Don't stop,plox

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I love KK/Lovage commentary myself. They may not be super well paced or hype, but you at least don't spew bull**** all the time ;)

Don't stop,plox
This times every number in the world over 0.

Also, thanks for the Puff advice, everyone. Sucks dropping games to a bad character. :troll:

unknown522

Some guy
Ya but one thing for sure, you can't bring personal stuff when you commentate.. I mean if you are feeling sad already then you gotta suck it up and be strong for everyone. This is supposed to be for fun, it shouldnt be a drag.
pretty much.

I remember it happening once. Did it happen while you were commentating with him?

Edit: lol I was the only fox in the top 8....

PB&J

Smash Hero
I have been messing around with just drilling past puffs shield to drill again with no shine @ all. I tested it on soft, not let me test it out on hbox in 2 weeks.

About the commentary. I agree with lovage and kage . I think it was fine,just try to suck up the way you feel and just commentate. I thought it was better than alot of other commentators,just have someone hype with you and you will be fine :)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
4 some odd reason when i practice techskill often it tends to mess me up against actual opponents. my question is what should a already technical fox practice? just keeping movement tight around the stages?

Top Bottom