• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Mango + PP commentary was like the best part of the limited Impulse I watched

KK commentating was also good but his co-commentators kept interrupting his trains of thought ~_~

JPOBS

Smash Hero
KK's commentary is interesting. I don't think he should have a partner if he's going to do it because often he explains things very indepth and either gets interrupted by the other dude, or overshadows them completely. Although I do think KK+Raynex combo was the best of the whole weekend. Sauc3+Toph was also good on saturday.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
KK's commentary is interesting. I don't think he should have a partner if he's going to do it because often he explains things very indepth and either gets interrupted by the other dude, or overshadows them completely. Although I do think KK+Raynex combo was the best of the whole weekend. Sauc3+Toph was also good on saturday.
Did you not hear PP and Mango commentate that was hilarious
PP: He's describing his ailments
Mango: what

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm anti-hype in general. I think in addition to giving the other guy more room to talk, I also need someone who gets really into the match in an energetic, hype way.

Doser

Smash Ace
Is there much reason to prefer reverse wave shining over turning around in shine and then wave shining normally? I've noticed that most high level space animals don't turn around in their shine, is this just preference or is there a purpose for this?

I'm a lot more consistent with the just turning around in shine, and it's also a lot easier on my hands.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I love KK's commentary, but he certainly is not the best hype man. lol "Yeah... I kind of hope PP wins the first set so I can go home." XD

Is there much reason to prefer reverse wave shining over turning around in shine and then wave shining normally? I've noticed that most high level space animals don't turn around in their shine, is this just preference or is there a purpose for this?

I'm a lot more consistent with the just turning around in shine, and it's also a lot easier on my hands.
I think most people just find it easier to buffer the turn around after the WD instead of trying to turn around before WDing. Like if you want to drillshine Peach who is left of you when you are facing right, it's much easier to just WD left and hold left and then usmash with the c-stick than it would be to time the shine's hitlag, turn around in shine, and then WD out usmash. I've been working on being able to do it both ways because I like waveshining into utilt. :D

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've always preferred information to hype, anyways (though hype is still very good and I love it), so having KK on commentary was perfect for me. I do think that he should probably commentate alone, though.

Peepee + Mango commentary was hilarious. It was like listening to the oddest couple ever.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD

It takes longer for Fox to turn around in shine and wavedash, than it does for him to wavedash out from a backturned position. A few frames are lost when he changes directions mid-shine. If both methods are done at the fastest speed possible, turning around will always be slower. Faster waveshines translate to easier combos on Marth/Peach/Ganon, etc etc etc. I recommend you get used to waveshining backwards.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Shout outs to Toph and Silent Wolf, bros are hella chill, hope to hang with you again.

Also, shout outs to the pride parade for giving us an interesting, grope filled, liquid squirting, smile assaulted, nude display, crowded walk back to the Subway.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Has anyone really pulled off a shine>wavedash>*insert followup here* OoS in tournament play? Was wondering if this is feasable in the Fox metagame.

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea people do it from time to time (notably EGGM)

the reason people don't attempt it as much is because if you mess up slightly u just ****ty airdodge and give up all of your advantage. while if you just shine oos normally, and then double jump fastfall or to platform, you always cover a lot of ground and there's no real way to mess it up.

you can do really sick **** if you have confident waveshines oos, but idk, too potentially harmful for a tournamnent set (especially where i may or may not be at 100%) for ME. same reason i do the slow shine wavelands onto the stage instead of fast invincible ones ones, i think assessing risks is pretty important for fox lol.

but if you are good at it then please use it every chance you get and blow ppl's minds and have leffen whine and say he told you so

Bones0

Smash Legend
Has anyone really pulled off a shine>wavedash>*insert followup here* OoS in tournament play? Was wondering if this is feasable in the Fox metagame.

:phone:
It was a pride match, not a tournament, but I would attempt it in tournament just the same. But I'm also bad and die from risky **** every stock, so you should probably take that into account.

I got 4/5 in a friendly right before that set, too, but I didn't know how to follow up after shining Falco... lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
As a followup? Idk. One time he rolled really quickly towards me, and another time he CCed so he didn't even fall over so I would have had to just hard read a waveshine I think. lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd have to grounded shine and then guess he was going to roll in and aerial in place. I'd rather grab or usmash if I can read his mind like that. lol

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Man...Puff is kind of hard. I'm having issues with approaching her (lol, I know). The way I want to fight her is just by attacking from good angles, but not being mindlessly aggressive. I'm just really bad at straight up camping (and I don't think that's the way to handle the MU). It just seems like whenever I want to approach her, she can just weave away from me and counter attack (which is what she does).

And she is the only character I'm afraid of WHEN I'm shielding. I feel so stupid holding shield while she's jumping around, trying to do stuff. Everything she does feels like a gimmick. :\

Anyone have vs Puff tips that aren't "just shoot her"? I guess I could learn to shoot her better, but eh...

voorhese

Smash Master
I don't even do waveshineoss anymore. Not because it is hard, but because it only works if people miss-space on your shield. I just mixup between normal and lightshield now, and then leave.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you're shielding vs. Puff, remember you can almost always just roll away and she can't do much to stop you. Obviously you don't want to just shield and roll back all game, but it's way better than jumping OoS and getting baired like everyone seems to do. Can you be more specific about how she's walling out your approaches?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, there are two paths I envision when I fight Puff: attacking from above her, or attacking from under her. I feel like if she's spacing short hop bairs (that aren't going to get OoS punished), my two options are to shoot her to get her closer, or to try to get an opening from above. But maybe this is super telegraphed or something, cause it feels like she can just wavedash away > grab, or just pull back and bair my landing. I guess I don't deal with defense very well (it sometimes feels like oos punishes on Puff are easier with Peach, but that's probably just this Puff).

It's also very likely that my mindset for the MU is very wrong.

Top Bottom