• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bing

Smash Master

LMFAO KAGE

Okay serious question.

Which comes out faster, Up-tilt or Pivot Jab? Im asking because I've been working on this combo that has a uair whole moving across the stage, now I keep messing up and only getting the first hit so I want to be prepared(I guess) for this and Im not sure which would be better. Jab or Up-tilt. I suppose I could like shine-grab or whatever but I dunno.

I.B

Smash Lord
Unknown522 posting:

why would you jab?

anyways, u-tilt is faster than pivoting (unless you mean turnaround jab)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I like thinking outside the box too. But sometimes after you are done thinking, you have to go back inside your box. lol /ColbertReport

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
lovage wasn't saying you had a good idea. lovage was saying that it would be a good idea to think about the ranges of moves more than you currently are

Bing

Smash Master
The first hit uair is not intentional. The reason Im asking about u-tilt is as a just incase they sdi it or I make the mistake of only doing the first hit. In actuality I want the full uair.

But actually upon thinking about it... d-tilt for sure wouldnt work because of the lack there of hitstun, and jab probably wouldnt work either...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You could probably make jab connect because it hits surprisingly high. It's just... you wouldn't be able to do anything after it.

Bing, you remember how you were asking about jabbing Falcon a bunch of times during a waveshine chain instead of just doing a proper chain? This is pretty much the same question except rehashed for a different, similarly 'set' combo.

>__>

edit: Even shine would probably be better after 1st hit uair than jab because at least you can do something with a knockdown. Jab is like... susceptible to shield, SDI > jump (because this is probably mainly for vs other space animals), hold down > shine, etc.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Learn how to hitconfirm Nair into grab
Do less attacks that would never hit him ever / dumb wavelands that do nothing
Recover better

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're missing a lot of your aerials in front of him as if he doesn't have the time to punish them. But you're Fox (not Peach) so he does. And you then get lolcombo'd.

Your lasers are in bad spots a lot of the time. Think of lasers kind of like how the safe turnip pull (STP) works (only, because you can do them in the air, you can SH and then laser as they commit to something if they're far away and flailing around [which happens a lot] and still retain the option to waveland away, double jump, empty land, etc. if they just screw around and do nothing - lasers are actually pretty similar to empty land too, and can be good this way if used sparingly). For this reason alone I don't really like SHDL any longer... you have to commit to it right away so it's a less flexible technique. It's also less mobile (or flexibly mobile) than SHL because the dash turn around is prohibitively harder than SHL for many players and I like FFing to cut the retreat distance in a lot of cases to avoid giving up too much space.

tl;dr SHL is way better except vs like Puff and Ganon kind of because you can make the 2 lasers hit them kind of easily and they're both slow.

You have a lot of predictable shield habits (sidestep, roll, etc.) when you're in a bad position or if you've lost your footing. On the latter, don't mash defensive options and get ready to do a nice dash or jump motion so you can get your spacing going. On the former, remember that the lovely thing about Fox is that he repositions super quickly because he has good movement and covers huge vertical spaces quickly so jumping up to platforms and moving into a completely new part of the stage is a real option in a lot of cases. You do not want to be caught buffering lazily into things that commit you when you have options that you can action out of. Shine > WD away or jump away is a good one here.

Your (shine) gimping is alright as far as I can tell but this Marth also sucks so idk how much that's you vs. how much it's him. But not bad, so far.

That d-throw KO is terrible. Tell your friend to DI in and/or meteor cancel. F-throw > guess / react is pretty strong anyway.

Your dashing out of waveshines to link to grab is really inconsistent. You need that down. Work on dashing out of WD because it's seriously a crucial part of this character's everything.

You need to get better at using bair and use it more. It's just a generally good move and works in a lot of situations where you opt to waveland or miss him with another move, etc.

Air combo with uair and bair more. You use nair in a lot of situations where uair and bair are more appropriate for one reason or another.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
1st hit uair barely has enough stun to connect to up tilt.
utilt is faster, yes. That, and dtilt is lower to the ground so after 1st hit uair, you're probably going to have to wait longer for the opponent to fall to a height where dtilt will connect, and by that time the opponent will have jumped away.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Double post, sorry:

Baka, if you were fighting a real Marth, you would've got CC grabbed about 15 times in the first minute.

Well, then again, I do stupid stuff like jabbing Marth on the ground or approaching with nair stupidly when I know I can get away with it. Just be warned that you can't fight Marth like that.

I'd also like to point out that you have to be a little more careful with how you come down from above. I saw you fall right onto a platform that Marth was sitting under very early in the video, and you got utilted for it.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
thanks for the quick responses, esp kk for the detailed response, its quite helpful for learning how to think about the game differently (and drawing parallels b/t fox and peach).

wenbobular what you said is absolutely right, those problems are very glaring now that u mentioned them. any ideas on how to recover better? other than technical mistakes i guess

got ninjad, but thanks for the response as well toph, i feel a bit awkward when approaching with fox alot and dont know what to do other than wait more...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Recovering better is a two part thing.

The first part is basically how well you DI during a combo to force them to send you off as high as possible. You're basically dead if you have to recover low because recycling ledgehop untechable move is too good and Fox has no answer for it if the opponent has any sort of timing at all. Even Peach can just mindlessly space dair into stuff over and over (although you can pray for trades vs this because it racks slowly and takes a while to kill and she's not invincible).

The second part is basically figuring out how to recover to mitigate damage. This will sometimes involve going over a top platform so you eat an uair > whatever combo by Marth. Sometimes, eating damage so you can get hit offstage at a good angle to make a follow up recovery to the edge or whatever safely will be the correct course of action. And the only real way to learn this one is to just play and experiment and think about how much time actions take in relation to one another and make connections.

Nurgle.

edit: Learning to shorten the illusion proficiently is really strong too.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I played Fox vs Marth with Zhu for like 2 hours two nights ago and he gave me some pretty good high-level (here I mean high-level in both the "well-abstracted" sense as well as the "good player") advice in the form of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Don't back up when Marth tries to gain footing." (i.e. pay attention to stage control)

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
They're not bad. Well run. Good recording. Commentary was ok. Nice people. Phenomimal housing! Etc.

But what sucks for styc 2 and 3 was that almost half the entrants were from ontario (a lot of their locals flopped each time).
Yeah, most Smashers in Québec are semi-retired, or just stopped caring about getting better at the game. Our competitive scene sucks tbh. It makes it hard to get any improvement, and practice.

But Pikalex is really cool for organizing such events, he's pretty much the only player to keep our scene "alive" . unfortunately, he'll be leaving us for France soon :(

EDIT: OH god, I just realized I'm like 3 pages late. Sorry :(

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah, most Smashers in Québec are semi-retired, or just stopped caring about getting better at the game. Our competitive scene sucks tbh. It makes it hard to get any improvement, and practice.

But Pikalex is really cool for organizing such events, he's pretty much the only player to keep our scene "alive" . unfortunately, he'll be leaving us for France soon :(

EDIT: OH god, I just realized I'm like 3 pages late. Sorry :(
Np. Yeah I heard about him going to France soon

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hi all,

I've been thinking to play fox for a while now, and I was wondering if I could get some advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzAdd_Sm3cM&feature=plcp

Just friendlies though, Bo3. Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated, thanks
I watched your vids on the toilet, so sorry if my critique is kinda ****ty.

You look like a Peach in a Fox suit. lol You never actually DDed... You only ever did that dash away dash attack towards that Peach players do. XD You could have simply DD grabbed him a lot more if you kept a constant fox trot going since he was committing to aerials so often. You also had a lot of opportunities to usmash to end stocks. I remember seeing at least one time where you dash attacked his missed tech instead of usmashing when he was over 100%. Also, when he is floating back down after a combo or something, you can quite often run under them and shield their aerial, then usmash OoS. It makes them much more scared when falling back so you'll be able to bait out bad side-B stalls and double jumps much easier.

@Warhawk
Idk what or why it happens (or if anyone knows), but I believe it occurs when Marth utilts as the wind is ending or something to that extent. It definitely only happens on DL.

Top Bottom