• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
ATTENTION FOX BOARDS
breaking news

on the snag the trophies stage
you can run off the platform and side B to auto cancel your illusion on the other platform

RAPEEEE lol

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
I bet it would be pretty useful. I don't pivot with anybody, I don't even know how to do it. I can see it being useful in very close quarters. Dash away slightly, pivot, JCed grab. Can't see any use for it beyond that. It seems situational though, since fox's wavedash is so fast and you can just slide out of range and dash in for the grab.

After uthrow, yes.

Here's something:
Edge cancel aerial at around like 15% into firefox, so they're stunned long enough for the burn to catch them then go towards them at the ground and follow up with something else. It works!

I bet it would be pretty useful. I don't pivot with anybody, I don't even know how to do it. I can see it being useful in very close quarters. Dash away slightly, pivot, JCed grab. Can't see any use for it beyond that. It seems situational though, since fox's wavedash is so fast and you can just slide out of range and dash in for the grab.
Just wanted to say, that if you pivot grab, you wouldn't want to JC your grab. People often make the mistake of jumping during the turn around animation, then grabbing. This causes you to turn cancel and grab facing forwards. It's most noticeable on DK if you want to see what it looks like.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
chainthrow->utilt->pivot charged fsmash (it actually combos, utilt=massive hitstun) is to good in fox dittos (and vs falco and falcon also)
people often dont DI the utilt b/c they know they're just gonna get regrabbed if they do

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Just wanted to say, that if you pivot grab, you wouldn't want to JC your grab. People often make the mistake of jumping during the turn around animation, then grabbing. This causes you to turn cancel and grab facing forwards. It's most noticeable on DK if you want to see what it looks like.
But if you still pivot, it doesn't really make a difference, right? What do you mean by turn cancel?

If you just pivot and then jc grab, you get pretty much the same effect as a regular pivot grab, except you don't lag like hell if you mess up the pivot and it's like 2 frames slower.

Right?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Ok, dumb question: what's edge canceling? Not sure if I saw this when I read through the compendium.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Edge-cancelling is when you land on the edge of a platform or stage with an aerial and slide off of it. It cancels all lag attributed to the aerial while you're actually sliding off...so you don't even have to L-cancel.

A cool thing with Fox is to space nair on a shield so they grab, and pivot fsmash them. Same concept with Marth, except he has disjointed hitboxes and spacing isn't an issue if he ever fairs to pivot fsmash. :(

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
how do i not let marths **** me offstage. Like i can handle everything else with the marth, cg. but........ im off stage i illusion sweet spot... poke. above the stage f-tilt or jab, mostl ikely to a counter. firefox under coutner, firefox angle f-smash, firefox direct f-smash, illusion past them grabbed rinse repeat. i hate it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Firefox along the stage to edgetech the fsmash in which case Marth's lag is sufficent time for you to recover. What else . . . ?

Watch PC. Thats all I got honestly. Hes got the best recovery mindgames IMO with spacies.

But if you still pivot, it doesn't really make a difference, right? What do you mean by turn cancel?

If you just pivot and then jc grab, you get pretty much the same effect as a regular pivot grab, except you don't lag like hell if you mess up the pivot and it's like 2 frames slower.

Right?
If you jump while he's turning around, It cancels it and he doesn't turn around. The animation shows him basically looking halfway back then turning back forwards and grabbing.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
If you jump while he's turning around, It cancels it and he doesn't turn around. The animation shows him basically looking halfway back then turning back forwards and grabbing.
But that's only if you're in a full run, in which case you're just doing the turn around animation and not the pivot animation. You can pivot any move, including jumps, I am 100% sure of this. Come to think of it I think FastLikeTree pivots jumps into spaced fair a lot.

I think we might be talking about 2 completely different things, or I'm just plain stupid.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Hello Silent Wolf I have a question about drill>u-tilt>SH 2 down b>b-air on Dr.Mario.

I can do all of this easily but the thing is that sometimes Dr.Mario doesn't drift behind me and is in front of me in midair after the u-tilt. Is it because of the damage or spacing or both. I want to be able to do this all the time.

Also...How do you do that crazy stuff in Zelghandi! When your grabbing the ledge,jump>you shoot a laser,side b and grab the ledge! You awesome freak!

-I love fox for reasons like this but still main my 2-D fighter! lol! (Class of 2009!).

But that's only if you're in a full run, in which case you're just doing the turn around animation and not the pivot animation. You can pivot any move, including jumps, I am 100% sure of this. Come to think of it I think FastLikeTree pivots jumps into spaced fair a lot.

I think we might be talking about 2 completely different things, or I'm just plain stupid.
I'm not saying it's not possible to pivot JC grab, I'm saying if you jump while turning around it turn cancels and you might make that mistake, making JCing the grab just pointless and a bit risky, just do a pivot grab without the JC.

Hello Silent Wolf I have a question about drill>u-tilt>SH 2 down b>b-air on Dr.Mario.

I can do all of this easily but the thing is that sometimes Dr.Mario doesn't drift behind me and is in front of me in midair after the u-tilt. Is it because of the damage or spacing or both. I want to be able to do this all the time.

-I love fox for reasons like this but still main my 2-D fighter! lol! (Class of 2009!).

Certain parts of the utilt allow them to DI further, usually towards the way you're facing. I guess you could get good at catching them with shine>Nair instead of bair. Once you get used to it, it's basically the same.
Also...How do you do that crazy stuff in Zelghandi! When your grabbing the ledge,jump>you shoot a laser,side b and grab the ledge! You awesome freak!

Tero.

Smash Champion
haha yeah i noticed that when i started playing marth ... pretty anoying when you mess your chaingrabs up and dont know why lol...

Yeah. Once you get used to it, you don't do it when just turning around or pivoting, but the mistake can still often be made if you try to dash behind you and JC grab too fast.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
melee is so fun :)
ive always been pretty good at edge canceling
but i started to use that **** in matches in the right way

1: drill or bair to bait them to punish, only for you to edge cancel it and then bair them
2. and edge cancel drill -> drill or bair->bair combos and stuff

:):):):):)

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
whos going to event 52 in kc?!?!
I am! ..obviously, I live here... lol >.> man I can't wait though, its gonna be so awesome, 113 registered already and still plenty of time! but yeah you'll see me there, I'll probably be running around helping run it, but I can't wait to play everyone coming >=D

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
me too, where are you coming from? I'll wanna play you =o

Edit: I actually have a question; Is jc shine>grab any good? Cause I've never ever ever seen anybody do it, I've done it a few times, its really cool looking, but I guess its just easier to waveshine into grab, but yeah just wondering why I've never seen anyone do it...

A lot of people do it and it's in only a few videos to my knowledge. It can be useful, but the shine doesn't make that big of a difference.

GOTM

Smash Champion
me too, where are you coming from? I'll wanna play you =o

Edit: I actually have a question; Is jc shine>grab any good? Cause I've never ever ever seen anybody do it, I've done it a few times, its really cool looking, but I guess its just easier to waveshine into grab, but yeah just wondering why I've never seen anyone do it...
me, scar, cactuar, m2k, and eggm are coming from philly. i wanna play you too, lol

also, jcshine-> grab is somewhat effective sometimes. i find it effective against players who just stay in there sheild until you do something stupid. it also makes mindless agressive approach styles (like mine), somewhat more worthy, lol. jman used it really effective on scar in one tournament, maybe i can find some videos.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I'm gonna **** all you Fox players @ Event 52. MMs all around. Also, Eggm is no longer going. Prob b/c he blows.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol Yeah he def has seen it already. lol If GOTM ever posts about me it's usually "wow scar blows I hate him" so I have to check up, put him in his place. Antagonizing Fox mains is something new though, I kind of like it haha.

Top Bottom