• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bones0

Smash Legend
Just fyi, I'm horrible at Fox vs. anyone who falls over... I am just speaking from experience about what destroys me all the time. Grabs and FH bairs alone can make a Falco's life miserable. Avoiding running into utilts and bairs that get thrown out, watch out for lasers as you land, and be ready for FHed shines/aerials when you jump. Falco can't do much else if you're abusing Fox's speed properly. This matchup really seems like it is largely won by whoever can maximize punishes the best. Either one can destroy the other's stock in the blink of an eye, but they also are both notorious for dropping combos relatively soon if you don't do everything perfectly.

Beat!

Smash Master
@Aesirgod
Play a lot with others
Practice tech skill on your own
Watch/study a lot of vids

Try to "autopilot" as little as possible while doing the above and you'll see constant improvement. You simply need to get more comfortable with the game's mechanics.

Although I will add that autopiloting a little every once in a while may not hurt, because it can make it easier to tell how much you can do subconsciously.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
@Aesir grab, dash after your aerials to get faster and grab people. Your fox will be better. It's really not THAT bad.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
More of my scrub fox:
vs falcon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207wclfhYBM
vs falco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQN5jf4_Azc

please help me make it less of a scrub fox .-.
And did my dd game improve at all?
What exactly do I need to do in order to improve it?
I'm horrible at teaching myself things .-.
ok, you got the typical answer given to people who don't have basic tech skill down, but i'll elaborate a bit.

right now you need to focus on getting down L-cancels and fastfalls...

training wise this means turning on starman on items on high and playing against mass level 1s while practicing.

Go spend 3 hrs cancelling every aerial you have into every combination you can think of..aerial to jab, aerial to grab, aerial to shine, aerial to dash...aerial to roll

then spend another 2 hrs doing the same thing for full hopped aerials..

also, because your tech skill is bad playing a lot of real matches is going to build some bad habits, you are covering a lot of stuff with high risk moves because you intrinsically know that you are lagging and going to get punished....but once you start moving more fluidly you can work on spacing things better..if you do insist on playing actual matches even though you're not ready for it, I would suggest that you focus not on attacking your opponent but on defending..practice dashdancing out of range and getting grabs (this does not require l-canceling) practie spacing him out with bairs (even if you don't L-cancel this properly you probably won't get punished as much as your non-lcanceled approaches

Warhawk

Smash Lord
so what should I do to make my fox faster?
Well from what I noticed of your vid against Ralis after you get a hit you need to move after your opponent. Sometimes you fail to follow up on hits you get, especially when your opponent hits the ground and tech rolls you tend to wait before chasing after him (although when you up-throwed him a lot of times you were crisp on the tech punish, so maybe its just a matter of conditioning you to look for the tech or roll in a larger variety of scenarios) and this lets him get away and doesn't let you put any pressure on your opponent and I doubt you're going to beat Falco without getting some pressure on Falco. I don't know if its your reaction time or what, but you just don't seem to follow up on hits well which does make you slower. Sometimes you tend to just sit there too, even when you're in his range to get hit and that's also slowing you down and causing you to get hit. You could be jumping out of your shine quicker too, it seems like when you shine and miss a lot of times you jump out of shine really late or not at all and its hurting your pressure game and you are even getting punished for it at times. You also seem to run away a lot. I don't know why this is but you're giving up stage control and your opponent seems to be getting a lot of his hits off of cornering you to the ledge. In your first match there was a point where you rolled three straight times and that was a big red flag. You can't do that. You're lucky he didn't do anything to punish it but stacking rolls is not only predictable but its a slow way of getting away, especially when compared with Fox's great dash speed. Your timing on your edgeguards was also off a bit and some of your edgeguard choices were sometimes questionable, and it allowed him to get back too many times.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman

unknown522

Some guy
David, riddlebox, and I were watching these earlier in the day, but I fell asleep at some point (not that you were boring. I just had a lack of sleep). I'll re-watch them and post what I see

:phone:

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, I'll be picking this character up pretty seriously soon :x mostly for the puff MU though. Anyone got some good tips/pointers* (obviously generic for now); I don't really have any videos of me playing the MU yet, I'll try and get some soon.

* I overall mean my main goals in terms of move selection and positional advantage I guess? Small little tricks that would be beneficial. Some percentages for move kills on specific stages would be nice too =).

XD - none of that is supposed to sound demanding at all...sorry if it comes off that way. Kind of excited to seriously invest in another character.

@Erayz, Oh and I'll look the matches over again at some point if you wanna hear some sorta theory craft stuff from me I guess. (You'll probably mostly want Unkwn and KKs advice over mine anyway lol)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Puff is one of my favorite MUs but I don't wanna try to give advice on the MU until I confirm that I'm actually any GOOD at the matchup by playing hbox >_>

unknown522

Some guy
Eww. Why would you ever want to like a matchup involving jiggs?

I mean, IMO, sheik is my best matchup, but I don't like it. I typically don't like matchups that are either lop-sided, over-the-top gay for one character, or that are really slow-paced/campy.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
If you know they're going for that angle what makes it so hard to counter it?

In that video SW could have moved away from the ledge more before going for the DJ Bair or just hold on to the ledge and edge-hog. The only reason he didn't get the edge-guard was because Eggz mixed it up.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The problem with this specific angle is that as far as I can tell, you have to hard read it to punish it, or you get nothing.

If he held the ledge for a hog, he risked eggz just going straight at him and hitting him, then he probably would have died by shine spike
If he went for a extended off ledge bair, even in the best case scenario of a strong hit (and it could even weak hit at that angle), eggz wouldn't have died, and then you're presented with a situation where both players are fire-birding back on stage and the edgeguard is missed anyway.

Sw did exactly what I would have done. The only problem is that kind of edgeguard misses 10 times out of 10 on that angle, so I'm wondering if there is a more bonafide way to edgeguard it that I'm missing, because this is Fox McCloud, and he can do everything.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
Just throwing out a suggestion, might be scrubby.

If Fox is below the ledge he has to Firefox. With that in mind you could wait for the UpB. After it charges for a bit you wavedash backwards to grab the ledge and react to the angle utilizing your invincibility.

I don't actually get to fight players so if this is garbage don't hate. :D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
On Yoshi's, ledgehop waveland off of the side platform into a bair.

How does one successfully edgeguard this type of recovery?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ozvcBFk5Q&feature=g-all&context=G259edacFAAAAAAAAAAA#t=6m40s

That happens to me all the time and idk how to beat it. those ****ing angles man.
i should have preemptively went out there and hit him because i knew he was below the edge which means he was gonna have to up b. i really should have done a double shine waveland rather than the double jump i did so i would have had more time to react to the situation. if he was at higher %, i could have jumped in front of his up b, shine turn around baird. since he was at low %, i should have jump out and landed on him with a dair and traded or went for the shine. he also looked like he was far enough for me to just react with a bair from the ledge rather than guessing but i wasnt thinking about it much.

edit: he also wasnt at a point where it was possible to sweetspot with the up b no matter what angle he chose. so i could have went onto the stage and reacted from there

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
What if you just stand up? I mean from that position off stage, he'd either go straight at you like you suggest and have to spend some time in the firefox scaling the wall (as his other options.); He's not far enough to sweet spot anything without spending time on the wall. That way you have the option of reacting with a down-smash or just quickly re-grabbing. In that position I feel like you have all the time you need to reactively WD to the ledge, then judge as to whether or not you need to back-air (this is kinda iffy depending on his choice of falling DI I guess? I'm not confident in fox's jump height while holding the ledge), hold,or wait and punish landing lag with a grab combo or aerial coming back on stage w/e.

stuff =|.

If SW was over 100% I got nothin tho LOL.

Edit: there you go, the man himself loool. (me too slow)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Eww. Why would you ever want to like a matchup involving jiggs?

I mean, IMO, sheik is my best matchup, but I don't like it. I typically don't like matchups that are either lop-sided, over-the-top gay for one character, or that are really slow-paced/campy.

I find comboing/killing/making comebacks against Jiggs easy and extremely satisfying. o_O

leffen

Smash Champion
It always surprises me at how locked in people are when trying to deal with a problem (ie high angled firefox).

Fox has TONS of good options there, I don't even wanna try to mention all of them

and sometimes you also have to realize (I don't know why people don't really realize this) that its a mixup situation, where you have to "guess".
Smashers generally only realize that something is a read when its captain falcon calling you on your tech >_____<

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
I'd actually like to hear some of your ideas. Regardless, even if it's"mix up" situation, if you don't have any sort of back up plan (or ideas...gimmie!) to try and cover an option...A random and unplanned panic attack may cause you a suicide.

Share your wisdom =p.

@ Toph: Ryan says, "ewww combo? who are you facing? Idea?"

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
so what should I do to make my fox faster?
I know this was a bit ago, but I've told a lot of players in my area the same thing to try to help them. You need to make sure you can do multiple moves or movement out of l-cancels not just the l-cancels themselves.

Make sure you can dash forward or back ASAP out of l-canceling (you need to dash backwards quickly to avoid the turning animation).
Make sure you can l-cancel to uptilt or reverse uptilt/jab to dash away or forward.
Replace dashing with jumping or wavedashing/wavelanding.

It's the same thing with waveshining really, a lot of players practice the waveshine exclusively or with nair. But they won't practice waveland to waveshine, falling through platform bair to waveshine, running waveshine, etc. Try to practicing incorporating what your learning into actual playing situations will help you.

unknown522

Some guy
regarding the vid that tristan posted:

There were multiple ways to cover that recovery (once you firefox below ledge height and far enough so that you can't immediately tech when hit, then the opponent should never miss an edgeguard on spacies [of course that doesn't always happen in practice, but that's how it should be]).

Given how far away that eggz was recovering, you could easily react to whichever direction he was going. Also, SW made one of the many right choices in that situation. If he didn't drift towards the stage while he did that b-air, then he would've hit him anyway.

Bing's answer is probably the best on in that situation, if you were trying to guess where he was going to recover (or happen to mess up the initial punish), though it wasn't necessary in that situation. He could've d-smashed him right after he missed the b-air. Just covering multiple options was pretty easy.

Still, in that situation he didn't even need to grab the edge to edgeguard him. Almost anything you can imagine would've probably worked in that situation (I'm not trying to be mean, but there were a lot of variables that could've been done to edgeguard that. Many wouldn'tve been necessary, like comboing him and stuff).

I probably would've f-tilted him after missing the b-air, or have tried to style on him with some unnecessary combo with the initial part of the edgeguard, due to having a huge lead like that

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i should have preemptively went out there and hit him because i knew he was below the edge which means he was gonna have to up b. i really should have done a double shine waveland rather than the double jump i did so i would have had more time to react to the situation. if he was at higher %, i could have jumped in front of his up b, shine turn around baird. since he was at low %, i should have jump out and landed on him with a dair and traded or went for the shine. he also looked like he was far enough for me to just react with a bair from the ledge rather than guessing but i wasnt thinking about it much.

edit: he also wasnt at a point where it was possible to sweetspot with the up b no matter what angle he chose. so i could have went onto the stage and reacted from there
Pretty much what i was thinking. The premtive jump off turnaround bair is something i hadn't thought of for that situation though, I'll keep that in mind.

He could've d-smashed him right after he missed the b-air. Just covering multiple options was pretty easy.

I probably would've f-tilted him after missing the b-air,
I always miss the downsmash/f-tilt after the bair when they fast fall to the ledge. *shrug* gotta keep trying i guess. everything else you said is duly noted. thanks.

It always surprises me at how locked in people are when trying to deal with a problem (ie high angled firefox).

Fox has TONS of good options there, I don't even wanna try to mention all of them

and sometimes you also have to realize (I don't know why people don't really realize this) that its a mixup situation, where you have to "guess".
Smashers generally only realize that something is a read when its captain falcon calling you on your tech >_____<
man, *** you. we're trying to have a discussion about something and the only thing you have to say is "hurr im so much smarter and everyone else is so much dumber, i can't even be bothered to explain"

You're useless. gtfo plox.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can actually LH bair regrab as Fox, but you might get hit by the up-B to the ledge before you regrab in that scenario. I would really recommend just grabbing the ledge as late as possible and shine bairing. Don't let the fact that they are angling high deceive you. As long as they can't actually make it onto the side platform, your mindset should be to wait for them to get near the ledge. The soonest they get to the ledge is straight at it, which you should watch for with 1st priority. Then if they angle high, you can react to it pretty easily and just make sure to bair them as they come down to the ledge. Adding the shine in helps you be more concerned with high angles because it will spike them even if they go low. You kind of just need to store the timing for the shine (the soonest they can get to the ledge) in your head, then assume they will angle high and you will cover both options.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
LH Bair regrab is like, hard to the point of impracticality (not to mention it doesn't actually hit below the stage)

I think you ledgehop Bair going as far out as possible while still landing on stage, then Ftilting / Dsmashing / FH Bair things you miss

Although tbh ledgehop Bair covers like everything <_< I think SW could've at least tapped him a little
He also could've ledgehopped once and gotten a later ledgehop Bair, feel like he got off the ledge a little early

I'm actually a big fan of shinestall Bair vs Firefoxes (probably too big a fan really)

leffen

Smash Champion
oh noes

I guess I'll add some things that hasn't been mentioned yet

-Ledge stall/take the ledge later so you'll have max invincibility
Wait longer than usual then do shine [to cover low angles that want to go under your usual ledgehop stuffs] ->jump bair. You can use nair (for when they try to under your bair but over your shine) or turnaround -> dair for specific angles /situations (for example, when bair isn't strong enough)

-ledgedash. It makes you able to cover all but perfect sweet spots with dsmash, makes you invincible for when they aim straight onto the stage and gives you a free shine for that. Most importantly though it gives you great punishes for when they go high angle.
This isn't the most reliable option overall, but its invaluable for teams.
I usually go for it in teams a LOT, since going with high with firefox is the "best" option almost everytime [buys them more time for their teammate to help them out, you almost always just get weak baired when going high get shined and instakilled when going low]
Ledgedashing -> jumping out with a hard punish (doubleshine, bair, nair) is so good for killing them quickly

-the reason to why you often miss your Dsmash/ftilt is because you need to realize the fastfall/no fastfall mixup. He doesn't need to fastfall instantly either... and then you need to estimate decently well what timing you need to use against what option/timing they do.

I'd advice ppl to use jump/runoff shine after the bair instead, since it has a much bigger hitbox vertically and thus covers more timings... I also do another JC shine (so it becomes a "javi" shine if the first one hits) to cover even more options

Dsmash/ftilt are superior at times though, such as when he can decide to just barely land on the stage (which would case the shine(s) to reverse 90% of the times
Don't ever fsmash really, it doesn't hit low at all (you can hang on the ledge and fsmash will never hit you, I use this for doubles while edgeguarding) and its slow and its punishable
Just do a jump bair/jump off nair instead, they come out at frame 7 ;o

-Shine->instabair->regrab is also **** and its better and easier than just jumping and bairing

-Scar jump -> shinetournaroundbair/jump nair would **** for this specific situation since its invincible and would even have covered a random randall

Overall, people need to start get better at beating UP B by jumping out. If they are too low to side b, then you'll have a easy time by just shine->turnaround bairing (above ~25%, gives you a lot of margin for error) or falling on top of them with a nair/dair/reverse bair to trade.
You could also just be a pro if you have good execution and shine their *** - but almost everyone chokes this/doesn't know how firefox works >_>

blurp

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I'd actually like to hear some of your ideas. Regardless, even if it's"mix up" situation, if you don't have any sort of back up plan (or ideas...gimmie!) to try and cover an option...A random and unplanned panic attack may cause you a suicide.

Share your wisdom =p.

@ Toph: Ryan says, "ewww combo? who are you facing? Idea?"
I only played Darc's puff in one game in my whole life but I got nair utilt nair nair or something on him. I did a ****ing ridiculous zero to death combo on Hack's Puff too. I don't remember what the combo was though lol. Puff's always in the air and if you intercept with a nair at low %'s you can often get a free 50% off that. Then you run away, shoot lasers until puff is at 60-70% depending on stage and start to fish for any of usmash, jab->usmash (typically i just run around into shield a lot, and as soon as puff does a falling bair on my shield which happens a LOT I just wd forward jab usmash) or grab for uthrow uair.

Edit: Btw Leffen's suggestion of ledgedash in an edgeguarding situation is really good, it just opened up a bunch of situations in my mind where I could see it being super applicable. Gonna start messing with it in friendlies.

People also don't do SW's suggestion of trading "suicide" dair (just jump out there and drill their up-B's charge animation from above) with firefox enough. It trades like every time so you don't actually die, they fall a lot and have to up-B again, and you can just side-B back to the stage and get a guaranteed edgeguard

unknown522

Some guy
Also, dash attack is good of you think you'll miss the f-tilt/d-smash. Then if they DI in, then shine. If not then jump out and shine

Edit: I see toph

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Posting again, because there was very little feedback when I posted it, and I fear people will just forget about my other post if they intended to give me any advice.

I went to a tournament this week-end, and I would like advice please

Winners R2: Vs Kage (Ganon/Falcon) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kZLL-A7CU&list=UULTNJKajnb77cLqq_Pqa2lg&index=13&feature=plcp
Losers R3: Vs Pikalex (Falco) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J27RBdNfHSc&list=UULTNJKajnb77cLqq_Pqa2lg&index=18&feature=plcp
Losers Semi: Vs ThatGuy (Falco) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknfk92haQA&feature=related
Losers Final: Vs Kage (Ganon)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XACbdU4HIFk&feature=related

EDIT: fixed the links

JPOBS

Smash Hero
-the reason to why you often miss your Dsmash/ftilt is because you need to realize the fastfall/no fastfall mixup. He doesn't need to fastfall instantly either... and then you need to estimate decently well what timing you need to use against what option/timing they do.
word

[
I'd advice ppl to use jump/runoff shine after the bair instead, since it has a much bigger hitbox vertically and thus covers more timings... I also do another JC shine (so it becomes a "javi" shine if the first one hits) to cover even more options
yea, run off shine has worked out well for me in the past. should do it more along with the javi shines.

good post.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
lol wut? If you just hit back+Y+A immediately it's not that hard (and doing it with Falco is easy mode).
There's very little (any?) benefit in actually regrabbing the ledge and you don't even get good coverage on angles so there's very little point in doing it

@Erayz - none of your links work for me

EWC

Smash Ace
lol wut? If you just hit back+Y+A immediately it's not that hard (and doing it with Falco is easy mode).
It's trivial with falco, but with fox it's a 2 frame window iirc. That's hard for a lot of people.

unknown522

Some guy
^ also doest even cover most options.

Erayz, stop running into Kage's retreating double aerials.

Shine oos when he jabs your shield, or if he's trying to space, then WD back oos, or roll away

Top Bottom