• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Just got my teal controller back from last Apex and my fox is looking way better. Controllers count more than i thought now
Indeed. I played using one of my friends really nice controllers and my tech skill was always on point.

Switch back to my controller I used before which is somewhat newer and all of that is lost.

WHA?

Smash Ace
How viable is CCing falcos dair and shining before he does???? would just shielding and doing stuff OOS be be better???

Also, regarding controllers
i bet theres probably a controller thread, but since cactuar and lovage post here and they talk about this stuff i thought id bring it up

I used to think that the part of the control stick connected to the motherboard was the important part. Because i thought this, i thought that any grip for the control stick would suffice. But i recently noticed that the grip itself was important, because i found a grip that looked good but when i tried it some things were weird like down and up. So it seems both the grip and the stick connected to the motherboard are equally important.

Maybe you guys knew this already, so can anyone confirm this assumption?

Lovage

Smash Hero
How viable is CCing falcos dair and shining before he does????
not very

would just shielding and doing stuff OOS be be better???
ya

Also, regarding controllers
i bet theres probably a controller thread, but since cactuar and lovage post here and they talk about this stuff i thought id bring it up

I used to think that the part of the control stick connected to the motherboard was the important part. Because i thought this, i thought that any grip for the control stick would suffice. But i recently noticed that the grip itself was important, because i found a grip that looked good but when i tried it some things were weird like down and up. So it seems both the grip and the stick connected to the motherboard are equally important.
the grip is important, but it's also the easiest to replace and the easiest part to wear down and break in. the control box (and the little white stick that sticks out of it) is the most important part of your controller when it comes to preserving the feel of it.

whenever you need to do work on your controller, modifying your control box + circuit board combo should be the very very very very last thing you consider.

EWC

Smash Ace
If you call falco doing a dair approach hard enough to be able to CC then you should just move out of the way instead. Like jump over him and dair or falling uair if you're cool.

Edit: Wait crap winston already said literally exactly the same thing.

E x2: Hey let's talk about shield dropping okay. I think powershielding lasers and shield dropping out is really cool. I've been trying to do powershield drop waveland upsmash but I can't because it's really situational and rare to get a setup and also pretty hard to execute. BUT ANYWAY it can be a pretty useful trick when you are trying to be on platforms and falco tries to shoot you so he has to jump so you can shield drop and get under him.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Is the powershield part necessary? I feel like if Falco is jumping to shoot you he's not going to stay on that horizontal plane to get hit by the laser. Mostly likely he'll get back onto ground level.

also about the full hop aerial to beat falco approaches thing, don't falling uair when he's below like... 20 or something. cc shine is not cool D=

EWC

Smash Ace
Powershielding let's you drop faster but no it's not really necessary. It looks way cooler though.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
the grip is important, but it's also the easiest to replace and the easiest part to wear down and break in. the control box (and the little white stick that sticks out of it) is the most important part of your controller when it comes to preserving the feel of it.

whenever you need to do work on your controller, modifying your control box + circuit board combo should be the very very very very last thing you consider.
I have taught you well, young grasshopper. *bows*

Brookman

Smash Hero
have you guys considered buffering short hop oos with the c-stick

if yes, have you considered critiquing my videos from last weekend yet?

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
So, I've got a friend who's a peach main and I get caught with 2+ hits of his D-smash pretty consistently. What can I do to try and avoid this? I think it may be because my control stick is down to shine a lot or fastfall or something, idunno, but it seems like he gets a free 30+ damage with every d-smash that hits.

Lovage

Smash Hero
So, I've got a friend who's a peach main and I get caught with 2+ hits of his D-smash pretty consistently. What can I do to try and avoid this? I think it may be because my control stick is down to shine a lot or fastfall or something, idunno, but it seems like he gets a free 30+ damage with every d-smash that hits.
30 damage from a dsmash is pretty reasonable/nothing to get too mad over

it's when u take 3 or more hits that you're really ****ing up

it's pretty common to get hit with more dsmash hits than you needed to because you were holding down to shine or CC an attack

if you can react (plus a little bit of prediction/intuition) fast enough, you can hit the stick up before/during* the first hit of the dsmash and you will be much less likely to take unnecessary hits.

*note: holding up before the dsmash hits you = 1 ASDI up, survival DI up.
hitting up during the first hit of the dsmash = 1 SDI up, 1 ASDI up, survival DI up. so timing your DI with the dsmash hit is the best case scenario.

here's a pretty optimal example of it in a real match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-BxNprFzo#t=9m14s

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
To elaborate on lovage saying "a little bit of prediction," once you have enough experience fighting Peach you'll know generally when you might be able to get dsmashed. So when you're in certain situations, you're "on the lookout" for the dsmash and if it hits you, you're ready to react and DI up. Examples would be shffling against her or whatever.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lovage hella appreciate you drivin as far as you did..i really didn't know it was that far or i wouldn't have asked, but glad **** worked out! i got soo much fox practice =D

sinji i dunno how i missed it but ty for the critique i appreciate the time you put into it! i just now saw it so i'll read nao

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
Alright. I played him for 2-3 hours today and tried reading the d-smash a little more and did a lot better. He's still kinda new so I noticed he was just spamming it every time I approached hoping it hit, so dash -> WD back -> punish pretty much eradicated my troubles.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
when i usmash people OOS, alot of the time they go up as if they were hit at like 40% when they're actually at like 120%..is this a result of them SDI'ng down, or is it a usmash OOS property?
so awhile back i was asking about how people were surviving random usmashes OOS at craaaazy percents, and everyones response was that it was CC (Not SDI) and that i was somehow giving my opponent enough time to land and crouch before being upsmashed..well i recently saw it happen in SFAT vs darrell and im prettty sure sfat did not give him nearly the amount of time needed to properly CC.

So i'm still left skeptical. anyone got anything on this? im probably just unaware of something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ONh7MIVfkA#t=418s

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
HAY GUYS

I had a pretty dope set with Sion last weekend at a Vancouver tournament but got butt****ed in the end. Can anyone give me some vs. Falco pointers? Particularly in the area of like, punishes.

One specific question: Sometimes I would dsmash the edge and it'd work when my opponent would go for the ledge, but then if they didn't go for the ledge I would eat a punish because of dsmash lag. should I be ftilting instead? Does ftilting ALWAYS work when dsmash would hit the ledge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4IXEiJWyqQ

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Toph I really really like your fox.

edit: although I think u should have stayed on dream land. you kinda got exposed on yoshi's whe his super aggro hardcore to the floor bs was all up in your face. did he not let you go back on ur cp?

leffen

Smash Champion
u REALLY need to learn how to tech vs falco lol SW.
every "Mixup" sion did involved guessing that you didnt tech, and you never did either >_>.

you also played way to campy, you got stage control and you kept it good sometimes with shield spaced bairs but then he just read the hell out of you so every time you spammed full jump he just lasered and then got through >_>.
Once they are scared of going in you need to punish them for staying on the ledge too, just a simple FHJ nair or sh nair, run in shine would have worked tons of times and in turn, made you fulljump spacing more effective.

Your punishes also seemed to lack purpose tbh, there were lots of times when you read his tech and just naired/daired him and it ended there. You should work on using more uair/grab/utilt more imho.

also- dont give up on platform camping. Fox strength in the matchup is being able to switch between offense and defense very quickly with his speed. You just need to work on the transitioning a bit imo, Sion always knew when you were gonna approach and when you were gonna camp which is probably why you felt the strategy wasnt that good. I just think you need to rethink it a bit.

oh and you need to delay your nairs when you jump in, he got so many free shines oos because he knew that you wouldnt delay them when you jumped in.

@your recovery-you shine stalled either too much or too predictably, he was literally modeling his edgeguards around the fact that you always shine stalled so he just waited with his lasers instead. Exploit the fact that he's waiting ;o
also, you didnt really go high with side b once o_o
oh and keep in mind that walljump tech->bair ***** him when he tries to shine->bair your tech, and try to replace your techs->up b with airdodges or sidebs.

Sorry if I sound harsh, didnt really mean to but I cba going back and rewriting it just to sugarcoat it :(

thanks for the advice. i was thinking about a lot of those things as i watched it just now too. i dont play good falcos unless i go up to bc so sometimes i just play a scared fox.

Top Bottom