• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Sounds like what always used to happen to me. That's just what happens when you're too aggressive of a player. You should play safer, especially in the beginning and take some time to figure out your opponent a bit. I'm not saying just camp and not attack, just be safer.

Getting the first stock is a huge advantage.

:phone:

Yea what sveet said. What I said was irrelevant cuz I misread the post cuz I'm just killing time in class haha. Still useful info for an aggressive player tho

:phone:

Bing

Smash Master
That actually what I've been trying to do. Like I dont try to start off the match with demanding tech skill things. Just stuff to get the body moving if you will, kind of frustrating because I know I can do SOO much more but Im not :p

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I have the opposite reaction, actually. Whenever I practice tech skill I tend to do better when I start than later on. Sometimes I just stop because I won't be getting the simplest of things right and I probably just need a break.

Lovage

Smash Hero
If your tech is slow at the start of the match dash dance and platform until you are moving smoothly.

^yup + what otto said

i used this technique for a long time - at the very start of the match i would sometimes be super sloppy and would make a lot of mistakes so i would spend the first 30 seconds of the match being very careful and basically just warming up to "tournament match tech skill" instead of friendlies tech skill. i generally would dash on platforms a little bit, waveland around a few times, space back airs for a second and then actually go into playing the match.

honestly though nowadays i get warmed up really fast so it's not as much of a problem, but it's still something pretty good to keep in mind to increase your chance at winning.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah I agree, I short hop and wave land on platforms, dash dance a bit, it seems to be working.

Also, I've been trying to perfect the "Thunders combo" and Im having issues getting the right pop off the Uair after the jab, any advice?

Lovage

Smash Hero
using uair after the jab reset is dope but it is the most risky and least consistent thing you could do (altho it has the highest combo potential at VERY CERTAIN percents)

i always advise people to use grab or usmash (grab at lower percents where usmash wont combo into anything) instead of doing uair because uair is pretty easy to **** up - you can ground tech the 2nd hit pretty easy at low percents, you can SDI the first hit away so the 2nd hit misses, and you can simply DI the 2nd hit behind your opponent to make following up 100 times harder lol.

edit: also, if you finish the reset at the very edge of the stage, i prefer to do late nair (drill works fine too) into shine because it gives you the opportunity to edge guard.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The fox boards are so much nicer than the peach boards. Here i say a common sense 1 liner and everyone agrees. There i spend 30 minutes making gifs and a short write up and nobody cares haha

you could also just ask the person youre playing if you can warm up for a sec, then dash dance around and shuffl stuff. even if youre pretty warmed up. thats what i started doing recently. that way you dont do anything you dont need to in tournament just for warming up

sometimes changing tvs messes me up for a sec so it helps

Wake

Smash Master
The fox boards are so much nicer than the peach boards. Here i say a common sense 1 liner and everyone agrees. There i spend 30 minutes making gifs and a short write up and nobody cares haha
Sveet, us Peach players shouldn't have to tell you how much we care. It's an understanding. ;) We love you Sveet!!! :bee:

btw: pretty sick sets vs. wes' falco from last weekend. he got really good recently and he's going to apex =]

winners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4i25-ymrK8
GF 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDDG42QkkVg
GF 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-xbm8NM6c
ggs. thats tight. dont think ive seen him out of state before.

speaking of cool sets from last weekend, heres one of me vs bladewise. i played really well in the last game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi0iKuLHGpE

Bing

Smash Master
you could also just ask the person youre playing if you can warm up for a sec, then dash dance around and shuffl stuff. even if youre pretty warmed up. thats what i started doing recently. that way you dont do anything you dont need to in tournament just for warming up

sometimes changing tvs messes me up for a sec so it helps

You Know that would probably be a good idea, but generally im the one thats running in first... regardless, I think Im just going to try to get to the point where I dont have this issue... in the last few days I've actually made quite a big of progress though... Im finding that listening to music helps but I dont want to listen to music during/inbetween matches because I love the social part of Melee.

Also I've been trying to use fair as a jab aswell, just using the first hit and l-canceling, then grabbing or up smashing? good or no?

Sauce Boss

Smash Journeyman
Fair l-cancled still has 17 frames of lag, so its not a really good idea, nair can kind of be a good jab at early %s and shffl nair to grab is so fast its ridiculous, so like fair is not the best idea for jabbing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Fair has 11 frames of lag when Lcanceled
It's actually pretty good at linking into upsmash at high % so you can kinda use it in combos if you wanna be goofy

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fair > up smash works a lot longer than weak bair / nair > up smash at high percents. Also, not causing knockdown often makes certain regrab combos possible whereas nair / bair would require tech chasing.

Fair has a lot of really powerful situational usefulness. The fact that the hitbox is not consistent (gaps are bad; consistent hitboxes work more consistently because duh) and some other weaknesses (low power, iirc his laggiest aerial, etc) delegates it mainly to combo tools and very specific spacinhgs. Nair is almost always better in neutral position, and bair is definitely better defensively.

Fair in general has massive issues with CC, too. It's so weak & laggy that doing it low doesn't even help unless the opponent is someone with no CC game whatsoever (can't even think of a character that fulfills that criteria but oh well).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
U-throw > fair > up smash can work on space animals very often. Fair often allows regrabs at like 60% too, where nair would knock over. Lots of random uses. Not a staple or necessity by any means, though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Once I did 2 hit Fair -> upsmash on a sleeping Jiggs when I misclicked and Faired while running over to the platform after a rest

Bing

Smash Master
Okay well I havent really been using it a lot, Just something I tried integrating yesterday actually. Works on computers but those are... computers.

Also, Ive been trying to learn the hitbox's and spacing of nair so I can use it to nair > Upsmash or nair regrab

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Okay well I havent really been using it a lot, Just something I tried integrating yesterday actually. Works on computers but those are... computers.

Also, Ive been trying to learn the hitbox's and spacing of nair so I can use it to nair > Upsmash or nair regrab
There was this combo that Cactuar mentioned that he likes to use to warmup that is as follows:
You Fox, plug in a second controller port 3 and select Fox again, go to FD. Kill the fox once to reset his position.

You can then do

upthrow > shine wavedashback running upsmash > (this step might not be in it I forgot) running jc upsmash > grab, upthrow uptilt, dash forward dash back strong hit shffl nair regrab, upthrow > reverse uptilt > dash forward dash back weak hit fulljump nair to running JC upsmash.

If done properly this full combo results in a upsmash kill around 112-114%.

This warms you up by ensuring you dash properly in every direction, wavedash backwards out of shine, and know which percents link to what.

Pretty cool.

Beat!

Smash Master
If their shield is small you can also uair. Great combo setup if it shield pokes, and a potential kill at high-ish % vs characters like Puff.

Top Bottom