• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

njr1489

Smash Rookie
Just to clarify on my waveshining problem, now I know what I did wrong. I was putting too much emphasis on my R button which left my shield out while wavedashing for a certain period of time, causing me to sidestep and not be able to get that few extra feet that I needed. For those of you still having trouble in the way I did, try to let go of your L/R button a little early and tilt the control stick all the way to the full side position after the wavedash.

FoxFTW: I also had this problem, but then I switched over to secondary characters so I could short hop a lot easier, and after some time I was able to short hop using fox without a problem. Just keep practicing, just think of sliding your thumb on the jump button and pressing on it very lightly. It should come naturally after a while.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hey i heard something about shines being able to combo non waveshinable charaters if you carry over momentum...i forget exactly

was it that you had to dash the first shine into the waveshine? or maybe you have to slide off the edge on the first shine and then just shine again in the air? anyone remember a thread on something like that?

So work on your spacing.
Don't just hit him with it, hit him ni the right spot, soyou don't get punished.
Watch the "How to Play" that comes with the game, even that will tell you not to leave yourself open like that. :p

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i'll post this here too so some foxes can give me input:

so i got shine spiked a lot more than i am used to today (~6 times out of 8 attempts to shinespike) in about 25matches or so of 4stock..

anyways some discussion on what methods i can use to avoid it is good...i'm guessing jump away and fair if he comes off and i have my jump? sometimes i catch myself trying to jump sweetspot the ledge before he can edgeguard and then he's off to go after me really fast:\

also, sometimes you get one of those unlucky shines on stage right as you Doublejump so you go off and only have the up B...i'm guessing there i should have fastfalled immediately to use the up b...oh wait..you can't fastfall accept after you were jumping right?

so basically i have to time an over b as he comes near or an up B

which is more effective?

marth shouldn't get shine spiked much out of his recovery no? i mean he can swipe the fox if he times it right..

oh another question is if you are dropping down to sweetspot the up b and the fox comes at you...is upairing a good idea? i'm not sure if you will still be able to up b recover...also i could up b early but that means he may get on and edgeguard me.

anyways, is marth easy to shine spike? when is it good to go after him...and how can he defend himself from it

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I believe I once read Cort saying that your objective when you recover should be to sweetspot the ledge with your double jump....soo...focus on that maybe?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
shoulda specified that i meant off the edge shine spiking...which is meant to punish those who try to use their double jump to sweetspot

Brookman

Smash Hero
there really isn't much you can do about dj sweet spotting unless you can get on the edge before they can jump.

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
srry guys but as you can see my sig is halfway through and when i check the preview it shows the whole picture and what i wrote so can anyone help me or tell me how to shrink down the picture.....

soren 345

Smash Rookie
Hello. I'm new to smash world but not ssb. I use fox as my main character but I am not what you would call a "good smasher". If anyone could just help mewith some easy tips or tricks, it would be appreciated.

noobmaster

Smash Apprentice
Alright, a couple of questions:

1) In a fox ditto, is it possible to DI away from a grab to double upsmash from 0 percent? (is this only duable when you grab and rapidly throw them up?)

2) Any Techniques on defeating very technical captain falcons.( He tech chases me everywhere and punishes me w/ downsmash + knee)

thanks in advance for the help!

Adi

Smash Lord
If you're getting owned by Falcon's you're probably very predictable, make sure you aren't dominant on teching one way or the other and sometimes not teching can serve as a mindgame but is ill-advised unless you're extremely proficient at using it. He can combo you but you can combo him as well. It's just a back and forth match, don't get hit.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
yeah you knwo what am talking about!
If this is the same dawn from houston, I saw you play... Try throwing more jabs into your game. You already looked scary fast lol but I never really saw you jab. It can set up for grabs pretty well :).

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
yeah you knwo what am talking about!
just grab, shine to jc grab on ppl who fall from a shine isn't really worth the effort IMO. But do it on characters that don't fall from a shine a lot.

BTW dawn and hylian watch my latest vid plez, i can't give u a link cuz i'm on a wii since my comp's effed up, but on youtube search brawlpro(fox) vs Mora(peach) then click on the first video not the crew battle then tell me what u guys thot. :) thnx?

dawn001

Smash Ace
just grab, shine to jc grab on ppl who fall from a shine isn't really worth the effort IMO. But do it on characters that don't fall from a shine a lot.

BTW dawn and hylian watch my latest vid plez, i can't give u a link cuz i'm on a wii since my comp's effed up, but on youtube search brawlpro(fox) vs Mora(peach) then click on the first video not the crew battle then tell me what u guys thot. :) thnx?
thanks ok ill see your video

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
I have a fox question, does Drill grab actually combo I'm usually able to sidestep vs ppl who do it to me and i notice sometimes ppl sidestep when i try it vs them but its usually only when i have i have to drill>turnaround>grab .
i hope it combos i abuse it so much vs low tiers and characters who fall over from shine

GOTM

Smash Champion
i drill shine a whole lot vs. everyone, lol.

i feel that drill>grab vs. marth from a ledge-hop is like amazing.

then again, i drillgrab ledge hop more than most people i watch, lol.

dawn001

Smash Ace
sorry and this is like out of a fox question but does anyone knows how to edit your video on youtuvbe and put music on it?????

now for a real question is stickywalking any good use?

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
i drill shine a whole lot vs. everyone, lol.

i feel that drill>grab vs. marth from a ledge-hop is like amazing.

then again, i drillgrab ledge hop more than most people i watch, lol.
well i drill shine people who i can combo like marth and peach but such characters as g&w pichu and jiggly i just drill grab cuz its usually a free upair

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
I have a fox question, does Drill grab actually combo I'm usually able to sidestep vs ppl who do it to me and i notice sometimes ppl sidestep when i try it vs them but its usually only when i have i have to drill>turnaround>grab .
i hope it combos i abuse it so much vs low tiers and characters who fall over from shine
maybe they miss an l-cancel or their damage is too low? god **** you asked a smash question oO
sorry and this is like out of a fox question but does anyone knows how to edit your video on youtuvbe and put music on it?????
Use windows movie maker or sumthin..

Brookman

Smash Hero
well i drill shine people who i can combo like marth and peach but such characters as g&w pichu and jiggly i just drill grab cuz its usually a free upair

I'm pretty sure it combos, at least, I REALLY hope it combos XD.

I think it depends on how low to the ground a part of the drill hits before you land and how good your timing on the grab is. I hate when the grab doesn't connect/ wah wah wah:(

Sticky walking is pointless, so you shouldn't even worry about it.

I think Brookman was right about how it depends on how close to the ground you are when the last part of the drill that came out hits. Also, I think if they DI away, it may be harder because it takes longer for the grab reach to get over there. Not much longer, but maybe enough to let them sidestep? Sounds logical, but I don't know much about frame data. :p

Top Bottom