• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
Sticky walking is pointless, so you shouldn't even worry about it.

I think Brookman was right about how it depends on how close to the ground you are when the last part of the drill that came out hits. Also, I think if they DI away, it may be harder because it takes longer for the grab reach to get over there. Not much longer, but maybe enough to let them sidestep? Sounds logical, but I don't know much about frame data. :p
LOL yeah that makes sense and m2k isn't rly sure he says vs fox and falco he usually gets shined half the time <_< so i guess its safe vs everyone else though.

You could always shine>Jab on people who fall. Unless they DI good. If they don't like smash DI away though, it's possible to get just about anyone I think. Maybe not Jiggs or Pika.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
LOL yeah that makes sense and m2k isn't rly sure he says vs fox and falco he usually gets shined half the time <_< so i guess its safe vs everyone else though.
I'm sure that chars who have fast jabs like ganon can jab you out of the drill before you grab (assuming you didn't time the grab perfectly)

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
What button do you recommend to Short Hop with? I usually use Y to jump, but I find it hard to short hop with Y and have been trying with X.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
drill kick combos for 5 frames usually (if you hit close enough to the ground), so i don't think the drill grab is a true combo. the drill utilt is, if you want to use that for a setup into a uair.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
how and when do you set up for a falling up air..particularly in the jiggs matchup..i'm wondering when i should aim for such things..when they are on the ground i guess? it's too hard to aim in the air i would think..but i figured fox mains would know better

anyways i seem to lose to my friend whenever i start going for these so i'm pretty sure i'm using them wrong..it's situational....and from time to time i get a kill with it..but i don't really know how to judge or setup for it at all

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Fix'd.

hey I like, have your tech skill video sitting around, get on aim so i can send it to you! Btw There is no cf in it :(, sry...:(

On topic: I've seen several ppl uthrow someone on a platform and dair instead of uair, is that better?
leads into a grab or utilt.

how and when do you set up for a falling up air..particularly in the jiggs matchup..i'm wondering when i should aim for such things..when they are on the ground i guess? it's too hard to aim in the air i would think..but i figured fox mains would know better

anyways i seem to lose to my friend whenever i start going for these so i'm pretty sure i'm using them wrong..it's situational....and from time to time i get a kill with it..but i don't really know how to judge or setup for it at all
You mainly just do it when you believe they're not expecting it. fighting jiggs is a huge camping/ spacing matchup.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I up throw down air on platforms when people tech in place or miss a tech to force them to get up, sometimes they get pushed off the platform cause of DI though, so I'm going to start using up air on smaller platforms/when they don't tech/randomly/lower percents for more comboage

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so i've started inserting more wavelands into my game..i find that wavelands are especially good for setting up nairs because it throws off your opponent's spacing faster than they expect. how and when should i use waveland forward? sometimes i've gotten a short hop backwards to dodge something and then immediately wavelanded to follow their retreat and it worked pretty well..but in general sh backwards is not a very quick dodge, and their seems to be little reason that the opponent is going to get more faked out by doing a forwards wavelands rather than just empty short hopping towards them or dashdancing...oh another use i've found is that if you approach with a lot of shffl nairs opponents are less likely to see the dash short hop waveland forward past them ...making it slightly faster at times than just empty short hopping..but the thing is.. empty wavelands towards a dash dancing opponent seem rather unsafe (and if they are in shield it would be more productive to just empty sh and grab them).

Thoughts? should forward wavelands through the oppoennt even be risked on nonshielding opponents? though of course forward waveland to fsmash etc are of course still slightly faster than just landing and dashing to that upsmash or whatnot.

dawn001

Smash Ace
so i've started inserting more wavelands into my game..i find that wavelands are especially good for setting up nairs because it throws off your opponent's spacing faster than they expect. how and when should i use waveland forward? sometimes i've gotten a short hop backwards to dodge something and then immediately wavelanded to follow their retreat and it worked pretty well..but in general sh backwards is not a very quick dodge, and their seems to be little reason that the opponent is going to get more faked out by doing a forwards wavelands rather than just empty short hopping towards them or dashdancing...oh another use i've found is that if you approach with a lot of shffl nairs opponents are less likely to see the dash short hop waveland forward past them ...making it slightly faster at times than just empty short hopping..but the thing is.. empty wavelands towards a dash dancing opponent seem rather unsafe (and if they are in shield it would be more productive to just empty sh and grab them).

Thoughts? should forward wavelands through the oppoennt even be risked on nonshielding opponents? though of course forward waveland to fsmash etc are of course still slightly faster than just landing and dashing to that upsmash or whatnot.
yeah i also use the waveland and on the platforms in my game i find it more to it like a mindgame...

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Fix'd.

hey I like, have your tech skill video sitting around, get on aim so i can send it to you! Btw There is no cf in it :(, sry...:(

On topic: I've seen several ppl uthrow someone on a platform and dair instead of uair, is that better?
i usually dair grab, or dair (if they miss the tech, it will cancel get up like thunders) to up air and combo.

Asian_Flava

Smash Ace
Whats up peeps.. I gots 2 questions that might be nubish but bare with me please..

1) How do you shine out of you're shield (they do it as fast as an UpB out of shield with Samus or Boozer)? I see alota people do this and I cant do it, maybe I just suck...

2) My friend says he does a Fox Troting Waveshine or something (makes you go far enough to waveshine a non-CC Samus, which I aint sure if that is normal but I was like WTF when he did it).. So basically how do you do this?

Replies are greatly apperciated, Thanks :).

dawn001

Smash Ace
Whats up peeps.. I gots 2 questions that might be nubish but bare with me please..

1) How do you shine out of you're shield (they do it as fast as an UpB out of shield with Samus or Boozer)? I see alota people do this and I cant do it, maybe I just suck...

2) My friend says he does a Fox Troting Waveshine or something (makes you go far enough to waveshine a non-CC Samus, which I aint sure if that is normal but I was like WTF when he did it).. So basically how do you do this?

Replies are greatly apperciated, Thanks :).
ok for the 1st question. to shine out of the shield this is what you do. when you are shielding the you hold down and when you do that you slide your finger from Y to B then it will shine out of the shield.

and for the second question am sorry i dont understand what you mean.

Asian_Flava

Smash Ace
and for the second question am sorry i dont understand what you mean.
yeah, i didnt quite know how to put it into words... whenever i ask my friend how he does a larger waveshine, he just says he waveshine fox troted or something and im like "wtf, ur using hax!".. the waveshine is big enough to waveshine samus like 3 or 4 times though, he does it to me all the time and i dont even CC.. i dunno, perhaps ill just ask him if you dont know what im talkin about lol.. thanks for feedback though :).

dawn001

Smash Ace
yeah, i didnt quite know how to put it into words... whenever i ask my friend how he does a larger waveshine, he just says he waveshine fox troted or something and im like "wtf, ur using hax!".. the waveshine is big enough to waveshine samus like 3 or 4 times though, he does it to me all the time and i dont even CC.. i dunno, perhaps ill just ask him if you dont know what im talkin about lol.. thanks for feedback though :).
wait you mean like the shine that will take a character out the stage like fox shining peach all the way accros the stage . is that what you meant?

Asian_Flava

Smash Ace
wait you mean like the shine that will take a character out the stage like fox shining peach all the way accros the stage . is that what you meant?
sure i guess lol... i already know fox can waveshine certain chars all the way across the lvl.. but this is like a bigger one or something.. i just sound friggin stupid now.. i think im just gonna give him a call.. his tag is Echo btw, you may know him maybe not i dunno.. anyways thanks for tryin to help :).

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
sure i guess lol... i already know fox can waveshine certain chars all the way across the lvl.. but this is like a bigger one or something.. i just sound friggin stupid now.. i think im just gonna give him a call.. his tag is Echo btw, you may know him maybe not i dunno.. anyways thanks for tryin to help :).
I think he means to shine while youre running so that you can then waveshine non-waveshineable characters since you get the momentum from the running shine...

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
hmm i need a strategy? im doing fine but it just that im tooo predictable...

also my bro spikes me ALOT with falco's dair, its hard to get above it when he is edgeguarding,i get stunned ALOT,he do i stop this,its killing me,i also get hit ALOT sometimes sheild give up on me, he even learned to wavedash/and chain grab without even practicing,(yeah im jealous) so now..i dont know what to do, give up??

Top Bottom