• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Slashed

Smash Cadet
that was almost a year ago when I faced slyd. the only thing his sheik had on me was that tech chasing to d throw repeat. what my bro taught me was if your teching left or right and the sheik is about to grab, sidestep so the sheik messes up and you can punish her with a uthrow to uair.
I hate getting chain-thrown by Sheik. Sidestepping into a uthrow > uair....That's how you usually should handle a tech-chase by Sheik. I'm not sure if you have enough time to shine Sheik before they can get the grab on you. If you can shine them, you could rack up some damage with some drillshines.

Red.

Smash Ace
If you roll far enough like on FD. Slyd was using running grabs on me in december of last year if your wondering.

He hasn't improved since the last time I saw him but he's still considered pro.

Slashed

Smash Cadet
If you roll far enough like on FD. Slyd was using running grabs on me in december of last year if your wondering.

He hasn't improved since the last time I saw him but he's still considered pro.
He wasn't jump-canceling his grabs? That causes a decent amount of lag for him if he misses. You have a bunch of options for punishing a missed running grab on your tech. If you can get far enough, just wavedash back and run in with a JC usmash. I didn't realize he wasn't jump-canceling that grab.....

Red.

Smash Ace
that was back when I wasn't even that good compared to now. But thats what my brother does on a floaty if they miss their grab at a really low percent.

Miharu

Smash Hero
for sheik (If I ever play one) in tourney play

I go for plenty of drill shine to uthrow+uair combos for easy high damage. be careful of the fair. aerials can put pressure on her recovery like bair. shine puts pressure on her recovery. SHFFL'D nairs work well at certain percents. I don't know why but hyrule charcters in the game get easily comboed.

For stages If you want to get rid of her easily pick like FOD( I did that to slyd the 3rd best sheik in WA and basically won). sheik is a real pain.
FD ***** Sheik. Lasers > Needles in terms of camping, and Fox's combos on Sheik don't really rely on platforms at all. You just have to be sure to mix up your techs so you don't get endlessly techchased.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
shiek is a fox killer, huh? well, guess i gotta find some better shiek matchups....

or shiek on shiek, no that never worked

and this combo is killing me: dash attack to fair. and its alomst unavoidable,and shieldgrbbing isnt working, smashes keep missing, i go thru shiek when i try to grab..whats up with this>?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
and this combo is killing me: dash attack to fair. and its alomst unavoidable,and shieldgrbbing isnt working, smashes keep missing, i go thru shiek when i try to grab..whats up with this>?
Dash attack to Fair should kill you, it's a pretty gay combo. Then again, if you really since it coming, DI away from it to make it harder for Sheik to hit you.
Can't get grabs off, try dash dance camping and JC grabbing at the right opportunity. I can't see why sheildgrabbing doesn't work...maybe you're pressing A at the wrong time? Also, I would saying do aerials to waveshine + grab, but that's pretty textbook. Also, waveshining them gives them a year to DI the up throw :p
i know that by win you mean be really good with him but i only use l-cancels when i drillshine
and im pretty good. i got my CG,waveshine,and teching all learned.
You're pretty good? That's odd, I haven't heard of you in any large regional or national tournaments...
Anyways, l-cancel every move with Fox....just do it.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
like i said, i get insta-nair'ed everytime i upthorw,i miss most my uair,,

i dont know how to wavedash,i dont know how to l-cancel, sffl,

kinda of a shame,ive only been here since april
Why don't you learn? It took me about a week to SHFFL with reasonable consitancy about the same time to learn to WD. Just turn on your cube, and practice these techs on level 1's for about 30 mins a day. You'll get it soon enough, and then we want vids of you ****** your brother lol.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, Y. Link's best stages are ones with 3 plaforms (Battlefield, Dreamland64, FoD, etc), so you can try using stages which are the most opposite of those (such as Final D.). Hmm, take neutral stages aside, on Green Greens and Corneria, Fox ***** HARD, Y. Link dies very early from Upsmashes and Uairs.

Still, Fox is Y.Link's second worse matchup, you shouldn't need to rely on a stage to beat him. Rather, pressure him as much as you can with SHFFL aerials, up throw to uairs, etc. The child should die pretty quickly.

Red.

Smash Ace
thank you NJ, I will be money matching chip next week and I want to prove to him I can beat him with Fox and falco. Plus I'm doing a marth ditto mm against him for $2.

G4MER4LIFE

Smash Apprentice
I've been having trouble infinate shining (not that i use it that often) but i'd like to learn how. Also i've been having trouble drillshining (can't seem to short hop far enough after a wave shine) Any help would be appreciated! thnx

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I've been having trouble infinate shining (not that i use it that often) but i'd like to learn how. Also i've been having trouble drillshining (can't seem to short hop far enough after a wave shine) Any help would be appreciated! thnx
You should probably explain what is giving you trouble in particular. If you just haven't practiced it and can't do it, make sure you understand exactly how it's done first, then practice. There are plenty of fox guides available.

oldmankungfu

Smash Journeyman
In a house... in Miami,Fl Close to MD South Campus
i'm no expert but... drillshining try to dash a little then short hop. so you'll do the wave shine then l-cancel it. if done right dash a little then short hop drilshine. I think i've done it a few times as for infinate shining...try to practice it really slow at first. try it on the right side of corneria. don't slow down the speed!! Normal speed with slow finger movement. then speed up until you get as fast as u possibly could. then just do it at a comfortable speed. if your confused just pm me

Senpai3330

Smash Rookie
1.so i been trying to incorporate shines more into my game and i suck at canceling tho
i can use up on the analog stick but i cant sh from that and sliding my thumb from b to x takes too long.
2.my shine spikes always hit them down and toward the stage sometimes resulting in them actually landing on it
3.this is my most embarassing issue and its the fact i can't wavedash right, i can do it left but not right :chuckle:

yeah im a piece of work, but any advice?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Get used to sliding your thumb over the A button to B, that's all I can say. Get that muscle memory down like many other players have before you.
When you shine spike, make sure you hit them before they past through Fox. You are probably hitting them on stage because you aren't doing the shine early enough, so you hit them with the opposite side of the shine.
Same story goes with wavedashing, practice practice practice until your hands explode. Then practice again.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
Dash attack to Fair should kill you, it's a pretty gay combo. Then again, if you really since it coming, DI away from it to make it harder for Sheik to hit you.
Can't get grabs off, try dash dance camping and JC grabbing at the right opportunity. I can't see why sheildgrabbing doesn't work...maybe you're pressing A at the wrong time? Also, I would saying do aerials to waveshine + grab, but that's pretty textbook. Also, waveshining them gives them a year to DI the up throw :p

You're pretty good? That's odd, I haven't heard of you in any large regional or national tournaments...
Anyways, l-cancel every move with Fox....just do it.
why shieldgrabbing dont work? well he do the dodge(L+down) before i could grab him,causing me to miss,

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, you should shield grab after the opponent hits your shield with a certain attack (when they are vulnerable).

However, if you KNOW he well spot dodge, then wait for the dodge, and punish him with a grab after the dodge.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
^ If you didn't understand that, it means jump then shine quick enough to remain on the ground whilst shining. The shield will have been down because you have technically jumped out of it, so the shine can come out immidiately.

Binx

Smash Master
Silent Wolf - my friend seems to think that fox can nair/drill shine Marth accross all of FD and have it combo, I said that nair if it connects while Marth is on the ground to shine is a combo and then obviously you have the option to wavedash grab (not sure if this is escapable but in my experience its really hard if it is). And of course drill shine grab combo's, but I really doubt that 2 or more of them could be done with Marth being able to take no actions.

If you are running when you shine the momentum can carry you far enough to shine again and have it combo right? but thats only once correct?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Marth can be hit with an infinite, but any character in the game can SDI out of it, unless stuck between two walls like Stadium's Rock level.

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
If you are running when you shine the momentum can carry you far enough to shine again and have it combo right? but thats only once correct?
I think that only works when u run off the stage and shine at the same frame you go off the stage but im not sure

Njz im starting to use L-cancel on almost all my aerials and its going better
I can now nair to waveshine and keep it going...
Im trying to perFECT the drillshine with a SH so that i can do some infinites..

Binx

Smash Master
I think that only works when u run off the stage and shine at the same frame you go off the stage but im not sure

Njz im starting to use L-cancel on almost all my aerials and its going better
I can now nair to waveshine and keep it going...
Im trying to perFECT the drillshine with a SH so that i can do some infinites..
No you slide a little after shining out of a run, basically it gives you a tiny bit of momentum to wavedash and get enough range to shine again on some characters that normally can't be, like Marth. At least thats what I remember hearing, someone correct me if I am wrong.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Silent Wolf - my friend seems to think that fox can nair/drill shine Marth accross all of FD and have it combo, I said that nair if it connects while Marth is on the ground to shine is a combo and then obviously you have the option to wavedash grab (not sure if this is escapable but in my experience its really hard if it is). And of course drill shine grab combo's, but I really doubt that 2 or more of them could be done with Marth being able to take no actions.

Marth can be shine>drillshined, and can also be shine>nair>shine>nair>shine>nair as a combo. so, you're friend was right.

Top Bottom