• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Fox should theoretically not be having any problems with any character, lol. At worst, any given match-up is even.

unknown522

Some guy
SW, your combo vid is awesome. KK and I watched it twice in a row.

Also, I finally got around to reading joe's post. I love it. This is what I have been telling people! Thank you

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think peach is one of the hardest matchups for fox because it requires you to play so patiently and pick your battles really well
one impatient shffl nair leads into a fair into destruction
yea for fox players its not easy.

peach punishes too hard if you make a mistake.

ive been having some success with drilling past peach so she wd into it. if she doesn't you will still get a little damage.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
definitely an autopilot character if you can nair fast enough

i frequently find myself having deep conversations with those around me while i 4 stock ******s with my tech spammy fox

fox is a baller counter pick for sheik, ***** gets *****

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
definitely an autopilot character if you can nair fast enough

i frequently find myself having deep conversations with those around me while i 4 stock ******s with my tech spammy fox

fox is a baller counter pick for sheik, ***** gets *****
Here I was hoping he'd be a skillful character because of his high or semi high learning curve. :(

Oh well it's too late, I'm still gonna use him as my secondary and I finally have a way to deal with Sheiks:chuckle:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
a good fox is not an autopilot character. as far as I know, there are none in this game. maybe sheik at average levels, at best?

he's probably the best counter-sheik but it doesn't mean he wins that matchup easily or anything. you will have to play patiently and well

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
a good fox is not an autopilot character. as far as I know, there are none in this game. maybe sheik at average levels, at best?

he's probably the best counter-sheik but it doesn't mean he wins that matchup easily or anything. you will have to play patiently and well
So in other words I would have to outmaneuver the other person. That means I can actually feel proud for using Fox because I'm the one that's winning not Fox. :)

how ironic that the character I dislike the most in the game is autopilot lol.(Sheik)

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I really don't think anybody is "auto-pilot" at a decent level of play
I think fox takes more skill than anybody else due to the entire cast being equipped to combo him and because fox players are notoriously prone to technical errors, controller mistakes, and botched spacing

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
You can go on Fox auto-pilot if you want, but you have to know when to actually do so. Say, for example, you want to waveshine > u-smash Captain Falcon after L-canceling your drill. You have to actually react to the fact that your shine connected or else you'll just WD past him and do something random or just get grabbed.

And if you want to go counter-Sheik, Fox is one of the best. You just simply can not go low tier against Sheik or else you get ***** by CGs.

unknown522

Some guy
I have 2 quick questions.

1. Is Fox an Autopilot character?
2. How good is he as a Counter pick for Sheik
1. Yes, but you'll probably lose when facing decent players by going autopilot. Once you reach a certain point, you'll have to start thinking.

2. Jiggs is better vs sheik. Fox/falco/sheik are good candidates though.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Sheik is a counterpick against Sheik?! Sounds like Metaknight or something. And oh yeah, I forgot about Jiggs. Jiggs is pretty solid.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like Jigglypuff though and I'm starting to like Fox's style of play and I actually don't feel bad about using him if he does take skill to use which most of you guys say he does unlike Metaknight from brawl lol.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I find myself playing a lot better when it;s possible to go on autopilot but maybe it's just because of who I face around my area.

Peach can be difficult but I think of her almost like Jigglypuff. Just gotta camp a good bit and wait for them to come to you then utilize your GFS and beat her =P.

ur combo vid ***** otto, =D.

earla

Smash Lord
can someone please link me to m2ks frame list? or a full frame data list? i cannot locate it.

also, in particular, how many frames is fox shield drop? is it the same for all characters?

unknown522

Some guy
Sheik is a counterpick against Sheik?! Sounds like Metaknight or something. And oh yeah, I forgot about Jiggs. Jiggs is pretty solid.
I pretty much think that sheik's only losing matchup is jiggs.

can someone please link me to m2ks frame list? or a full frame data list? i cannot locate it.

also, in particular, how many frames is fox shield drop? is it the same for all characters?
no clue. It probably is universal.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
what about fox and falco? i think fox defnitely has a slight advantage and falco is even or better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Marth is definitely an autopilot character, luke. Once you know how to 0-death from 1 grab on every character you just go to sleep while shield camping until they get tired of your fairs OoS and get in grabbing range. then you kill them.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think there's like three different "classes" of characters with different shield drop times. I don't know the numbers. M2K defintiely recorded them at some point though.

Marth is very far from an autopilot character.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Give me one or two things I should work on with fox now that I can SHFFL, SHDL (not necessary tho), and double shine in game... In fact I have a bad habit of continually SHFFL so predictably cause Im a puff main and used to spamming that bair...

What type of shine stuff besides wd into up-smash??? Help
Same question. Any advice?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
you have pretty much all the essential tech skill

really the only thing you practice by yourself at this point is nair shine shield pressure

otherwise you just need to play with other people and get them mindgames

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Can you be shield grabbed out of waveshining in place?

I'm basically asking what the minimum technical work I have to do to effectively shield pressure is. >_>
yes. you can do it to zelda, yoshi, link, yl, and samus, though. (I'm not positive, but pretty sure. I'm positive about zelda)

voorhese

Smash Master
waveshining is awful for shield pressure

nair shine really isnt that hard
why get close, when you can space back airs at their shield, while aiming for their head/feet?

the only time i do shield pressure now is if im not paying attention and i go into auto pilot, or if i miss-space a nair/bair and in that case i shine nair/bair away from their shield (but in range to start again) or shine grab go from there.

sound good?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
why get close, when you can space back airs at their shield, while aiming for their head/feet?

the only time i do shield pressure now is if im not paying attention and i go into auto pilot, or if i miss-space a nair/bair and in that case i shine nair/bair away from their shield (but in range to start again) or shine grab go from there.

sound good?
yes but in my opinion not the best. The best would be testing your opponent's nerves with shield pressure and only continue if they show weakness also plays a role in being the ultimate player
and I know that's what you're aiming for voorhese, move power to you...****in' voorhese
the links plus samus will just up b oos.
yeah you're right. I should have specified that in my post, his was referring to a shieldgrab and it does beat their shieldgrab.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yeah you're right. I should have specified that in my post, his was referring to a shieldgrab and it does beat their shieldgrab.
na I knew you meant shield grab cuz I read his post. I probably should have directed it at the other guy.

I just didn't want him to think he could waveshine samus and links for shield pressure.

its hard to multi quote on the mobile version of swf, I don't think there is a button for it.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Can you be shield grabbed out of waveshining in place?

I'm basically asking what the minimum technical work I have to do to effectively shield pressure is. >_>
Waveshining in place is probably the worst shield pressure there is. You're on top of them the whole time, not adjusting your spacing so you're easy to punish out of shield, you can get rolled out on, and you get no real reward if you happen to shield poke them or catch them on the roll out.

If you want a minimum technical requirement, then do smarter stuff just outside their shield and try to catch them when they move out, like empty jumps and early/late back airs... even jabs and ftilts

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Waveshining in place is one of those things that's bad if you always assume your opponent will expect it and counter it perfectly. It can be pretty good if you hit the back of their shield. A lot of people will try to roll from that position and waveshining in place puts you in a position to easily punish them. I certainly wouldn't make it my primary means of shield pressure, though.

Daniel, remember that you don't necessarily have to hit them to put pressure on them. Dash dancing, empty short hops, and even standing right behind them can all be very intimidating. The important thing is that you understand how your opponent is affected by everything you do. Also, it's important to be able to recognize when you should just grab.

Top Bottom