• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I think all fox mains should have a really solid falcon secondary.
Playing falcon has taught me to pick up on habits of my opponents, to read them, and has taught me quite a bit about spacing. Falcon has also given me an edge in tourny--matchups i suck at with fox (ics, ganon, peach, samus, marf) I can play with falcon, and I always have the ability to counterpick to a gay fox map
thoughts?
Bleh. Can't play Falcon.

I've been playing Marth as a secondary of sorts lately. He's so effing easy to use. Haha.

It's helped my DD game a lot, I think. Or maybe my Fox has helped my Marth's DD game. Eh, one way or the other. Lately, I've been improving at my Fox/Samus and Fox/Ganon games, but I still suck vs Peach (well, good peaches anyway).

I want to secondary, like, Ice Climbers or something but I haven't really gotten past my fear of getting *****, which usually happens when I play them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont think ICs are high tier. Mid at best. You have to work as hard as you do when you play pikachu, but sometimes when you get a grab you can get anywhere from 40% to a kill.

anyways, ICs are really hard and get ***** really easy by fox.

Meneks

Smash Lord
luke you have the worst smash sense i have ever seen! fox vs ganon and ICs is 2ez
yeah fox vs ganon is really easy..
Yeah ganon has ALOT of really strong attacks but fox has speed/waveshine combos and ganon is just a slow giant..
If the ganon has good spacing you can camp/wait for him to approach?
I mean its pretty easy to get out of the way of his attacks.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I think all fox mains should have a really solid falcon secondary.
Playing falcon has taught me to pick up on habits of my opponents, to read them, and has taught me quite a bit about spacing. Falcon has also given me an edge in tourny--matchups i suck at with fox (ics, ganon, peach, samus, marf) I can play with falcon, and I always have the ability to counterpick to a gay fox map
thoughts?
I actually secondary Ganon, which is kind of like a fat CF, but the reading and punishing predictability stays the same. He also has pretty good stuff against all of those characters you mentioned.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
People tech/space/approach/evade differently in every match up. Sure in general it helps to play 2+ characters really freakin well but when it comes down to it, reading and reacting with Fox isn't very comparable to how a Falcon or Marth DDing around would play around a laying down opponent or a FCing Peach or standing tilting Sheik in a shield would.
Fox has more options than all of them really :p

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Why else do you think Fox is top tier?

I just like the different styles other characters have to offer, Ganon stomping a predictable roll feels so good in the pants.

L__

Smash Master

I just like the different styles other characters have to offer, Ganon stomping a predictable roll feels so good in the pants.
I

believe

because

Usmash
mobility
Shine
Shine
Shine
Shine
Nair
Bair
Uair
Uair
Uair

lawlz

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i space the same as marth in every matchup. theres only 2 zones, in my sword and about to get into my sword.

Brookman

Smash Hero
fox's up air has, in my opinion, become less important with the introduction of SDI. Back when I was playing my main competition (cort) was using SDI so consistently vs. me. Maybe you guys don't have to deal with that but it can be really game breaking to lose that up throw > up air kill to SDI. I started to just back air and then up air randomly or just delay the up air since cort/pc would always use the same timing. Those are mind games yo

Up smash is fox's most important move probably, next to his neutral b.

Jiggs is pretty much the meta now though, right? I may be out of the loop but as far as I know, mango is #1 and I see lots of jiggs in the top 8/16

Tero.

Smash Champion
fox's up air has, in my opinion, become less important with the introduction of SDI. Back when I was playing my main competition (cort) was using SDI so consistently vs. me. Maybe you guys don't have to deal with that but it can be really game breaking to lose that up throw > up air kill to SDI. I started to just back air and then up air randomly or just delay the up air since cort/pc would always use the same timing. Those are mind games yo

Up smash is fox's most important move probably, next to his neutral b.

Jiggs is pretty much the meta now though, right? I may be out of the loop but as far as I know, mango is #1 and I see lots of jiggs in the top 8/16
I have the same problems with people SDI'ing Uairs, that's why I only go for the Uair when they are at kill percentages and I always try to space the Uair and only hit with the seccond hitbox.

And I think there are more "most important" moves than the Usmash. Grab and Nair to mention only two of them.

Bleh. Can't play Falcon.

I've been playing Marth as a secondary of sorts lately. He's so effing easy to use. Haha.

It's helped my DD game a lot, I think. Or maybe my Fox has helped my Marth's DD game. Eh, one way or the other. Lately, I've been improving at my Fox/Samus and Fox/Ganon games, but I still suck vs Peach (well, good peaches anyway).

I want to secondary, like, Ice Climbers or something but I haven't really gotten past my fear of getting *****, which usually happens when I play them.
Sheik as secondary covers almost everything.

Fox can punish people.
Pretty **** hard.

Brookman

Smash Hero
both his grab and nair lead to up smash though. I won't argue that they are more versatile but his c^ is broke and you know it ;D

edit: you're from germany. . .pal? in that case, disregard that statement :D

Brookman

Smash Hero
Shine is my first choice for moves. Esp vs falco/marth.

Shine gives you so much control and puts so much pressure on the other player.

Shine leads into so many moves, most importantly up smash ;D

Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!Up Smash!!

Brookman

Smash Hero
i don't think playstyle has anything to do with a character's move set. I will say that his grab and shine have way more versatility than his up smash and way more potential to take stock at low percents.

All things considered, I'm still going to say that up smash is his best move over all.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Meh. You're probably right about the playstyle things. Admittedly, a player who plays more mindgames heavy is going to be getting well timed upsmashes, and a more technical/combo-oriented player will just be comboing into them. So upsmash is good in any case, plus it just has greater rewards than his other moves, if you land it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
downb is fox's excuse for spacing.

"i hit your shield and i'm really close, come grab me. PSYCH! *40% combo*"

bolt.

Smash Ace

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I watched all three videos.

Anyway, it seems to me you're doing a lot of moves frantically from nervousness. Keep in mind the spacing between you and your opponent. Percent is also important. You don't really want to be throwing out forward smashes when your opponent is sub 40%.

Also, from what I could tell, you don't have a great handle on the purpose of dash dancing. At one point, in the first match, you were dash dancing, Marth was at like 140% and he dash attacked right in front of you. That should have been your cue to run in and upsmash him or uthrow uair. Instead you just stopped dash dancing. What was the purpose then? Work on understanding why you do things and what you're trying to achieve.

Lastly, it takes a long time to improve at this game, so all you have to do is play play play with the best people you can find. :)

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
@bolt you should make your own thread that way the thread is only about you besides thats chival is basically right but a way to help improve your self is to watch other players and pick up little good habits they do and practice alot in friendlies. a tourny is bascially putting all your basic skills and everything else you practice to the test so you have to try and calm down and observ what your opponent may be abusing you for and try to find an error in his play style and take advantage of him

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Fox's back air kills yoshis momentum from his double jump completely If you hit with the front of it xD

@Bolt: Marth cant do anything to fox if youre behind him. At the very beginning of the first match i noticed you moved to space him. Instead I would have jumped over him gone through the top platform, but not loanded on it, dropped through and back aired him in the back of the head.

BACK AIR 4 PRESIDENT

bolt.

Smash Ace
Fox's back air kills yoshis momentum from his double jump completely If you hit with the front of it xD

@Bolt: Marth cant do anything to fox if youre behind him. At the very beginning of the first match i noticed you moved to space him. Instead I would have jumped over him gone through the top platform, but not loanded on it, dropped through and back aired him in the back of the head.

BACK AIR 4 PRESIDENT
Wow, I didn't even think of that after watching it the video about 10 times. I'll try and think about that next time I play, its seems like a valid choice.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Edit to above you have to hit with both hitboxes >_<
Hitting him in the nose works wonders.
^ Frames 4-18 for fox :D
After frame 47 ish (first frame his feet stop kicking) of his double jump for yoshi.

Also foxz UAIR stops Yoshi.
Frames 8-9, 11-14
Yoshi Same after 47

He drops like a brick from the UAIR but can still make it to the stage if he saved his jump long enough. He could potentially land in an upsmash (it turns yoshi around from what ive tried here as well.) Even if he spot dodges..hes dead xD, grab >UAIR, Jab Upsmash, lol killing percents.

Top Bottom