• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
rayn go to a big tourny man we havent heard much from you in a while.
I'm going to Pound 4. I've got about 4 months to practice up, so expect good things.

ahh my first sensai
idk if you remember the TGMTSBCO but you taught me how to play for in 3 hours and if u can see me now i think you'll be proud
You should put up some vids up asap.

I'm going to try to post like I did before. I miss making long useless posts.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey raynex, is it like common for fox players to be like.... LAZY?

like ill play at a normal speed, then notice its not as fast as i can be, then i speed up, its like my normal speed isnt my fastest, and i have to think about it to be faster, is that just because i cant play people that often and i get sloppy or is it normal?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You don't always have to be moving at your fastest to win. High tier players are usually the laziest, because they have the opportunity to slack and let their broken character do the other 50%. If you can't keep up a constant speed you feel you'd rather play at, clearly you don't have the stamina and shouldn't expect yourself to always play that fast. I work the same way; I love playing fast but its detrimental to my game if I keep move spamming or running around aimlessly with no goals. I miss alot of easy kill opportunities or free hits due to spacing fails this way.

Just play at a pace thats comfortable for you. Think about where you should be moving, what moves you should use to edge-guard, how to techchase and how to play safely - instead of how fast you're moving. If you learn to stay on your toes in game, the speed will naturally kick in when you need it to be there.

voorhese

Smash Master
You don't always have to be moving at your fastest to win. High tier players are usually the laziest, because they have the opportunity to slack and let their broken character do the other 50%. If you can't keep up a constant speed you feel you'd rather play at, clearly you don't have the stamina and shouldn't expect yourself to always play that fast. I work the same way; I love playing fast but its detrimental to my game if I keep move spamming or running around aimlessly with no goals. I miss alot of easy kill opportunities or free hits due to spacing fails this way.

Just play at a pace thats comfortable for you. Think about where you should be moving, what moves you should use to edge-guard, how to techchase and how to play safely - instead of how fast you're moving. If you learn to stay on your toes in game, the speed will naturally kick in when you need it to be there.
thanks, i also asked cunning, and his answer was similar, except he said he thinks its because i am not challenged enough by the community in my town

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Do parried attacks decay?

I was spamming d-tilt at some mewtwo for a kill(and for lulz), but he was parrying them with his d-tilt, so usmash took care of that problem

TresChikon

Smash Lord
1.Walk/perfect waveland in one direction
2. Run in the opposite direction
3. Slam the ctrl stick in the opposite direction w/o passing through the middle.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
vs a really good peach, how would i go onto ****** her, i usually try to waveshine > usmash wheneve i get a chance but mid wavedash i freak out "IF AH MESS UP I GET %6000, STUPID DSMASH", what is some other ways on racking up really good damage on her and staying away from getting shield grabbed? If she blocks my nair but I l cancel and shine can she still grab me?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I wouldn't do multiple waveshines, but 1 waveshine to usmash/grab isn't that hard

Lasers!

I guess that Peach grabs you before the shine?
Then do your nair later so the hitlag covers your lcancelinglag
Or try to trick her with empty shffls to shine.
Or just space bairs ;)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Late nairs, no, early, yes.
Not true. If you full hop nair a shield, you can shine before they grab you. But you have to be really quick and accurate with it. Early nairs are usually safe on shield if you shine. But if your opponent has a fast upb (or sh shine) you're ****ed.

vs. Peach don't waveshine to tilts. Don't waveshine to aerials that aren't dair. If you connect, usmash.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Oh I guess i wasn't considering the FH.

Wait, you still have frame advantage even if you early nair? I always get grabbed or some other OoS mumbo jumbo. I guess I need to get better at his game.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Depends on how fast your opponent's grab is. But if you plan on hitting their shield with a decayed/late aerial your shine has to be on point otherwise they'll grab you. There isn't much time because of the lack of shield stun they have. Falco's dair is a different story, but I know that if you fullhop nair and shine on a shield and they sit there trying to grab - it won't work.

voorhese

Smash Master
one thing ive noticed is that if you notice that they wait till after you shine your aerials before they try to grab, i like to shine -> grab, double shine (they can still just wait), shine -> wavedash away

sheild pressure isnt that important, its better just to get them out of sheild and hit them, so the shine-> grab is a good thing, better with falco, but still good

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Just to clarify:

shine grabs with either spacies are different only because of their jump speeds. Fox's is faster by such a minuscule amount that most people understand it as being the same with both characters. I agree, it doesn't really matter all that much. Talking about jump speed oos for a technique that requires you to cancel the jump anyways, is sort of pointless.

Anyways. Jason brought up a good point by saying Falco's shine->grab is better. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

The only reason shine->grab is better as Falco is because your opponent is probably more afraid of Falco. Falco's shield stuff is both easier and more effective than Fox's. Because most people can't nair shine on shields with Fox, everyone tries to shield grab the **** up. If they get hit by the shine, its a fleshwound that doesn't do too much to shift the game. With Falco, no one wants to risk it because they know everyone + their mom can dair shine, so they'll probably get it right. On top of that, Falco can combo the whole cast with shine -> free move. The simple fact that its Falco on your shield and not Fox, is usually enough reason for people to sit and wait.

With Fox, playing a hit and run game is alot better. Do something to bait the grab/roll/sidestep, then run back in and hit them.

voorhese

Smash Master
yah, thats what i think of falco aslo, since he can pillar right out of a missed shield grab by your opponent, with out having to react as fast as say a waveshine -> grab with fox.... ive been told/ noticed that grabs are one of fox's most important moves

also

(fox/falco) do you guys notice like a timing difference that carried over, like if you played with one of them, then the others timing would be off for a game or 2, then fine then say you practiced a day with falco, then your fox would be off for a while?

also to fix this is would it be a good idea to just alternate between fox/falco everymatch i am practicing, so i can switch between them often, i think the reason its awkward is because fox/ falco has similar hand movements, unlike say sheik/fox ? (i am trying to pick up falco)

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I don't really have any issues with tech skill, what I end up doing is playing falco like fox and shffl nairing people and **** like that

Stratford

Smash Champion
At first if I played as Falco for a while and then tried to wd with Fox I'd screw up and airdodge the first try. Hey, sometimes I still do...

voorhese

Smash Master
I don't really have any issues with tech skill, what I end up doing is playing falco like fox and shffl nairing people and **** like that
neither do i When i play fox, but my hands are to fast for falco, i really have to slow down my motions, it gives me more time to think, but then when i play fox again, i have to speed back up

Meneks

Smash Lord
Its really not that hard to switch back and forth from falco and fox..
Well not for me because I don't use the same buttons for the same things when i switch off

voorhese

Smash Master
Its really not that hard to switch back and forth from falco and fox..
Well not for me because I don't use the same buttons for the same things when i switch off
see im weird tho, i played ganon as my first real character, and i learned to wavedash with L, cuz its slower than with R naturally because the message takes a little longer for me, because its a different hand than the one you jump with, and i can send the message to my thumb and right index finger at the same time for wavedashing with fox because the R button is raised enough that the time it takes for the button to go down is the same as the the time the jump starts, so i wavedash with L (for slow characters), and R (for fast ones)

but falco is in between, i use L to WD while i move around (at first) but i waveshine with R because its normal because of fox.... early in the match i use L for normal wavedashes, but after i waveshine for awhile then i start using R, if i notice i use L i try to change it right away, but it usually doesnt happen for like maybe a minute and a half

L__

Smash Master
What do I do against people who are pressure oriented?

I tend to panic and then my tech skill goes away. If I hid in my shield, I have the option of shine of out shield, but I probably could do... poor tech chase -> nothing

My biggest problems in general are the aggressive Falco match up, the extremely patient Falco matchup, and campy peaches.

I've watched some videos but I'm not the greatest at applying what I know as of now. Any advice is appreciated. :)

voorhese

Smash Master
What do I do against people who are pressure oriented?

I tend to panic and then my tech skill goes away. If I hid in my shield, I have the option of shine of out shield, but I probably could do... poor tech chase -> nothing

My biggest problems in general are the aggressive Falco match up, the extremely patient Falco matchup, and campy peaches.

I've watched some videos but I'm not the greatest at applying what I know as of now. Any advice is appreciated. :)
well one of the most important things i have found out is that being calm goes a long way, also isnt fox supposed to camp peach?

L__

Smash Master
Fox is...

The thing is, I'm really aggressive, and the moment I'm not the one dominating I lose it.

I've only played Peach like...twice in tournament so I forget this at times

Lately though I've been more calm during tournament matches now that I've been getting some recognition.

Meneks

Smash Lord
see im weird tho, i played ganon as my first real character, and i learned to wavedash with L, cuz its slower than with R naturally because the message takes a little longer for me, because its a different hand than the one you jump with, and i can send the message to my thumb and right index finger at the same time for wavedashing with fox because the R button is raised enough that the time it takes for the button to go down is the same as the the time the jump starts, so i wavedash with L (for slow characters), and R (for fast ones)

but falco is in between, i use L to WD while i move around (at first) but i waveshine with R because its normal because of fox.... early in the match i use L for normal wavedashes, but after i waveshine for awhile then i start using R, if i notice i use L i try to change it right away, but it usually doesnt happen for like maybe a minute and a half
Yeah thats pretty ****in weird lol.
the only time ill use a diffrent button for the same function is when i switch between the a button and the c stick(for aerials)
like when im shield pressuring ill use "A" for dair shield pressuring and sometimes ill use the c stick..
It really depends on where my thumb is at that exact moment.
whatever button i use depends on how close my thumb is to that button..

Tomacawk

Smash Master
with peach you have to be patient and precise, and also knowledgeable of the matchup
don't nair approach, use shine or dair and waveshine->usmash. uthrow doesn't combo into uair if they know they can nair out of it
keep your distance, dodge turnips, laser laser laser
at mid %s i like to start nairng a lot though because a missed cc and end in shffl nair->running usmash->early stock if they di the nair in
be careful on shield, up b is annoying and whiffed shine->washingmachine can be brutal
raynex just posted some **** i think about that exact matchup?

Top Bottom