• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

soap

Smash Hero
u can press down during shield stun and hold.

or tilt down slowly.

learning the normal way is more consistent though

When exactly is tourney play?
I can't wait to see those videos when they are uploaded
June 6th
quick question when i try to dash and shine sometimes fox just crouches or keeps running y is that am i trying to do it to fast????
The only way to do a shine while running it to either dash cancel or jump cancel.
If you're still in dash dance range you would have to jump cancel then shine because you can't dash cancel until you leave that range.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
u can press down during shield stun and hold.

or tilt down slowly.

learning the normal way is more consistent though
Is shield stun the time between pressing L/R and your shield comes up?

Or maybe does shield stun happen when your shield takes a hit?

I don't know what shieldstun is.

Thanks for answering the question though.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Shieldstun is the period after you got hit where you are stuck in your shield and can't do anything.

Reptard

Smash Cadet
Ok, so yesterday I perfected my waveshining, but I still can't shorthop =/
I can shorthop 2/10 times. I know that to do this, you need to hardly press the button really fast, I'm doing this, but it still isn't working. Any advice to get it faster?

Milos

Smash Lord
dont concentrate on "barely pressing it" just tap it. that's what i started doing and it helped me shorthop consistently

now i've shorthopped almost 9000 times

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
I can shorthop 2/10 times. I know that to do this, you need to hardly press the button really fast, I'm doing this, but it still isn't working. Any advice to get it faster?
yeah what helped me is basically instead of pressing it lightly which is how most people start, ust press it quickly and let go.

Bets

Smash Journeyman
I place the edge off my thumb on X or Y. So when I'm ready to shorthop, I just slide my finger off. The way my cousin shorthops [He's 9 btw] he places his thumbnail on x. So when he's ready to shorthop, he flicks it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I place the edge off my thumb on X or Y. So when I'm ready to shorthop, I just slide my finger off. The way my cousin shorthops [He's 9 btw] he places his thumbnail on x. So when he's ready to shorthop, he flicks it.
I wouldn't do it like this IMO. Sliding is usually bad because a large majority slide away from the rest of the buttons (I've noticed this at least) and it's a lot harder to do faster things that way. Pressing is always better using X or Y. Minimizes your movement.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
another noobish question when waveshining falcon and marth in particular after the wavedash protion of the wavshine does fox need to walk forward a lil bit or should a perfect wavedash put him in range for another shine?????

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yeah waveshine->usmash or jc grab against marf.
as for short hopping, just practice. either barely tap it or push it all the way down fast as ****. I push it all the way down when I short hop (or use up on the control stick depends on what im doing)
it will take you a pretty long time until you finally can shorthop 100% of the time. just practice that as you play it'll come on its own in time.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
another noobish question when waveshining falcon and marth in particular after the wavedash protion of the wavshine does fox need to walk forward a lil bit or should a perfect wavedash put him in range for another shine?????
Perfect wavedashes would be ideal for both, actually. A perfect wavedash alone is enough to grab Falcon (without baby steps).

As for Marth...you have to do a perfect wavedash then walk/dash a little bit.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i do shorthops pressing the left corner of my x button and then sliding my thumb off,is that bad or contraproducent in any way?(just asking,i can do most hard stuff like this)

when im waveshining,to get a perfect wavedash out of shine you take as reference the small corners of the stick hole or something?i can do long wavedashes normally,but when im drillshining to usmash or just waveshining i get them shorter(i press down+b and slide the stick to wavedash btw)

how do i moonwalk with fox? i get it nice with capn link and yoshi but i dont move an inch with fox -_-

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
So, it is the same controller motion as with Falcon for moonwalking?

And with waveshining, you want to get the control stick as close to horizontal as possible without missing the wd.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Sorta its like

you walk in one direction, dash then do the normal moonwalk motion.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
ive almost got waveshining down. My biggest problem is that sometimes I do a phantasm on accident and kill myself. Since I push the analog stick almost horizontal when I wavedash to do a "perfect" wavedash, sometimes I don't put my finger down fast enough and it ends up doing a phantasm. Any advice?

Tero.

Smash Champion
ive almost got waveshining down. My biggest problem is that sometimes I do a phantasm on accident and kill myself. Since I push the analog stick almost horizontal when I wavedash to do a "perfect" wavedash, sometimes I don't put my finger down fast enough and it ends up doing a phantasm. Any advice?

Well it's pretty simple:
Press Down B and not Side B.

You know where your problem is and you know how to fix it so why do you ask?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace

Well it's pretty simple:
Press Down B and not Side B.

You know where your problem is and you know how to fix it so why do you ask?
I thought someone may recommend something like slowing it down in training to 2/3 or perhaps looking at the controller. Dunno, just thought there might be a little extra advice.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I thought someone may recommend something like slowing it down in training to 2/3 or perhaps looking at the controller. Dunno, just thought there might be a little extra advice.

Slowing down speed is stupid.
So here is your little extra advice:

Try to get the perfect button inputs down (respectively concentrate on what you are pressing) before everything becomes muscle memory.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
one thing that helped me on waveshining was concentrating on shine SOMETHING and to MOVE with wavedashes,i tried to do it to the air and illusioned the crap outta me,best bet is to practice on training mode with a link,concentrate on the screen,not on buttons,cuz if you start thinking on buttons,you start thinking on timing,and you mess up your timing,and do the wrong moves.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so a while back i remember someone saying something about no longer thunder's comboing because people di the jab.

Is it better to follow with dair? does that even combo if they miss their tech? because i know that upthrow to shine - wd dair hits them fast enough, as we all see in raynex's combo vid, but I wasn't sure about other places.

So basically i just wanted a vote whether i should keep going for shine to jab on falco or whether that is outdated.

also, i saw lucky run off bair zhu's firebird and follow up with jump to shine gimp. do i need to worry about their percent when going for this? and will the bair always be a weak bair?

meh i should just test that out later, but the dair thing i was already playing with and i wasn't getting much follow up out of shine with dair..techchase is even slower than after the jab i think.

Milos

Smash Lord
if you hit with the entire dair you can shine before they get up, so you'll be resetting with the shine instead of the dair, so you can waveshine towards them and shield. if they get up attack, shield grab and that's a free 50% on spacies. if they roll wd OOS and followup, if they get up normally grab, or drop your shield and do something else.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
wait, so milos are you saying that it is possible to shine to wd Dair and hit with all of the dair? cause i keep missing..a lot more than i do with thunder's combo

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah thunder's combo still WORKS, it's just not 100% reliable

what you do is drillshine > jab reset, then follow/guess their tech with either a charged upsmash or regrab (easier to follow up on than thunders uair)

or upthrow upsmash, tech chase grab/upsmash

or chaingrab

lol

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
milos do you mean that you can shine before they get up attack? i'm so confused as to what you meant.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
anyone tested d-tilt to replace the jab reset?

maybe it'll work...

jab is losing its spunk for every characters tech chasing.
Yes. If you hit dtilt it resets them. But it puts you both on an even playing field in terms of who has frame advantage/who is in lag. At lower percents, you dtilt opponent Fox/Falco/Roy/etc and he'll just stand up. By the time your dtilt finishes, he'll be charging at you. I mean, you can escape or roll, but why give him a way out of your combo by dtilting? Going for the jab is almost always in your best interest - hit or miss. Another thing I like to do is waveshine -> walk forward -> dsmash. It works well near edges, and hits opponents that fall down from the shine. Ftilt works in the same fashion.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I ftilt on accident sometimes

also sometimes i use dair to reset..is this ok? cuz smoetimes i find them out of my jab reach.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Is it possible to multishine after using your first jump and before using the second jump?

Just curious.
Multishining is typically done on the ground by canceling your first jump, so technically you never use your second one. If your in the air though you will be forced to use your second jump to shine out of the first, stopping your ability to multishine.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey do u think i can get any advice on my fox -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1f9sJ2JhU
im the purple one, ive played a little after this video, and ive learned that going after fox while hes on the edge is not to smart, and also i needed to u-smash a lot more ( i do now), but any advice would be helpful

but since i wont be able to check the board to often PM me your advice please, all advice is welcome and thx

edit: (this is my fox as of about 1-17-09, that was first time i played him against good people, about a week after i picked him up)

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Is it possible to multishine after using your first jump and before using the second jump?

Just curious.
Yes, you actually can. You can jump cancel your first shine if you time it perfectly while you rise up to a platform. I believe this is what silent wolf is focusing on for his new video that is supposed to be incredible

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
hey do u think i can get any advice on my fox -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1f9sJ2JhU
im the purple one, ive played a little after this video, and ive learned that going after fox while hes on the edge is not to smart, and also i needed to u-smash a lot more ( i do now), but any advice would be helpful

but since i wont be able to check the board to often PM me your advice please, all advice is welcome and thx

edit: (this is my fox as of about 1-17-09, that was first time i played him against good people, about a week after i picked him up)
Aren't you the guy that made that video about Ganon's super moonwalk?

Top Bottom