• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For those of you who place emphasis on technique

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
stop it.

This is perhaps a bit overdue and isn't specifically directed to the sheik boards but people writing about the DACUS and the chain jacket should have better things to focus on. DACUS should hardly be one of the first things learned by a sheik - anyone who isn't sure if these things are worth learning needs to step back and take a look at what is important anyways.

The BASIC gameplay is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than any technique that i or any other player can come up with - with a base knowledge of your own character and an emphasis on spacing anyone can become a good player. As the base of your gameplay improves (things like spacing and general unpredictability) the opportunities for those extra techniques will become more apparent. If you don't have a good base layer of sheik it's going to be near impossible to land a boost up smash unless its done randomly and hits almost by accident. "techniques" in general are not things to simply be thrown around at random anyways - please change your focus to the basics then worry about added flair or efficiency. The more your knowledge of the basic gameplay grows the more uses you'll find for all of these things...

bleh i'm tired and am being repetitive - just make sure you guys don't forget the basics - it's the most important thing.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Chain Jacket is practically useless.
DACUS is too unpredictable to use as a regular attack.

I have to say, though, to those of you having trouble with spacing and defense and such, it may seem a little strange, but try keeping your eye on your enemy AT ALL TIMES. Don't even look at Sheik. You know what you're doing so there's no point. Try it out and you should be playing better instantly.

I'd like to see this turn into a guide.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i have to agree i stopped trying to learn ATs for a while and just tried getting use to sheik and zelda and i got better over time and now DACUS just flow naturally into my playing style. BEsides how could i not agree if gimpy says it, its gotta but nothing but truth:)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ya but the DACUS (you wouldn't realize this until you use it consistently) is useful and comes in handy at times, the chainjacket is like... just for kicks

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
i totally disagree about your chain jacket theory.... cause i pull off chain jackets all the time in wifi and offline matches. and they help . even unjacketed chain. people seriously hate the chain and needles. you should try it. . just don't focus on jacketing your technique. you can just do a fsmash just for the metagame or to actually hit your opponent and when your opponent leaves the stage and he di's well then you use that jacket when he comes back.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...and smart opponents will hopefully hit you with a projectile or something instead of jumping into the chain. Right? Right?

Villi

Smash Lord
...and smart opponents will hopefully hit you with a projectile or something instead of jumping into the chain. Right? Right?
I don't think the SH chain is a useless technique. Needles and spaced chains are my main damage rackers for G&W. Only thing he has that seems to work is his dair if I keep it out too long and I think that's cause I have a hard time whipping it up in time.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
100% of the responses in this thread that aren't ankoku are totally missing the point - responding to this by talking about the ats just means this entire thread went over your heads

*sigh*

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ok so guys

sheik is good because she is fast
she is like a ninja

sometimes when i fight opponents i don't even shield and attack the entire time

my mindset is sometimes i can't avoid being hit... but that also means the opponent sometimes can't avoid being hit also

sometimes when i dodge, i still get hit by long duration moves like gw's smashes, which is gay

so i just hit him before he can do anything

i went back to melee for a bit and i realized i was playing it safe. what's the point if i'm still gonna get hit sometimes?

my new philosophy to exploit sheik's speed is "always approach"
and then when i transform to zelda, "never approach"

on topic:

hey guys gimpy is the best sheik, i'm surprised at how much he played and how much he knows, i underestimated him before as a bowser main but that's because his character had limits. besides some people like tristan and ankoku, i've been the longest active sheik main. except tristan brings up scrubby arguments and ankoku makes weird decisions while playing. anyway, it looks like from videos that gimpy is a little better than i am with sheik, mostly because he's a little more creative, fairs too much, takes more risks off the edge, and does freaking random jab repetitions.

the fact of the matter is

please listen to gimpy because besides myself he's the first sheik main to actually play her right

kudos to ankoku and squidster you guys are pretty smart too

i love how nonchalant my posts are. run on sentences and no capitalization/punctuation are too good

Would people listen to me more if I typed like this? Probably.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I dont even use ATs.......wait......... Their are sheik ATs? I know about the DACUS but I dont even use it =/ Its too much to worry about because its difficult with the default settings (IMO) >.>

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ankoku makes weird decisions while playing.
Just because it doesn't make any sense to you why I would run straight toward a Warlock Punch doesn't mean it wasn't all a part of my plan to win.... somehow.

choknater has it right though, do what I say, not what I do.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
keen observation, i agree.
everyone tends to put too much emphasis on ATs b/c they think it sets them apart and makes them look good when the basics are whats really important. I tried to learn them but its not easy developing them into ur game and they're definitely not one of the first things u should be concentrating on like many do. If u lay off them some u can really start working and improving on regular gameplay.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
tristan brings up scrubby arguments.
If I complain or excessively say something over and over again people are bound to give it a second look since I'm not unskilled.

Call me methods scrubby if you must but you gotta admire I have simulated thought within sheik forum. Maybe not to the same degree as ankoku, gimpyfish, and Ryoko has but it doesn't change the fact that my even poorly piece together rants did have some effect.

Sheik/Zelda for high tier. :)

I'm just a mid level player trying to make a difference.

edit: Oh...and Gimpy right you shouldn't even bother learning glide vanish, chain tricks, or anything for that matter until you have the basics down, this is especially true for DACUS.

Don't try to ride a bull without knowing as much as knowing how to sit correctly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What's "mid level?" I've always classified myself as an average player because while I would beat anyone I never heard of before, there were the people who consistently placed in the top 3 (money spots AKA the only places that matter) and I'd never take a single GAME off of them, let alone a full set. Some people tell me that I'm underrating myself, but I think it's more a case of everyone else overrating themselves.

Airborne

Smash Lord
If I complain or excessively say something over and over again people are bound to give it a second look since I'm not unskilled.

Call me methods scrubby if you must but you gotta admire I have simulated thought within sheik forum. Maybe not to the same degree as ankoku, gimpyfish, and Ryoko has but it doesn't change the fact that my even poorly piece together rants did have some effect.

Sheik/Zelda for high tier. :)

I'm just a mid level player trying to make a difference.

edit: Oh...and Gimpy right you shouldn't even bother learning glide vanish, chain tricks, or anything for that matter until you have the basics down, especially DACUS.

Don't try to ride a bull without knowing as much as knowing how to sit correctly.
i thought that gimpy said learning DACUS before the basics was dumb.... =\

popsofctown

Smash Champion
IMO.... If you have a plateau that lasts like a week, go learn an AT. Before that happens, they aren't that important.

shadowthebeast

Smash Rookie
I love both Shiek and Zelda. I can see their strenght and weaknesses. Trick is to go aroound it. Wassup BTW i'm new.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
i <3 gimpyfish, and i too are tired of people trying to learn the chain jacket the first day they pick up sheik instead of learning simple jab combos, ftilt combos, etc etc

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
God **** it people, learn to hit people and not get hit, then you can start work on how you hit them.

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
COMPLETELY missing the point.

i am not saying "do not learn your character"

i am saying "actually learn how to play this game THEN learn your character"

*sigh*

Your right Gimpy. I honestly don't play brawl too much but this is the EXACT same in all 3 games. You have to know the basics before you go in and try to emulate combo's that people cannot even perform. Chain Jacket IMO is pointless, it would be BETTER to go for tilts or aerials or something you can space out of. He's just trying to say basics before techs.

Charoo

Smash Champion
don't forget to throw in some bowser forward smash

If you can't even string hits with sheik yet then you shouldn't be learning anything else. You can learn other stuff later but learn how to actually damage people first.

not noob friendly: Gimpy try to do some forward tilt to back air when near the edge but u're facing away from it. For some reason, if u tip the back air on the bottom feet they get send behind u in a downward position. You know what to do from there =). It look so sexy when u do that and then edge guard them. Add that in ur next combo video haha

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ftilt -> back air is nice fo sho everyone di's wrong so it sends them all kinds of crazy directions (well - behind you - but different trajectories LOL)

one of my favorite flashy things is just a simple ftilt to grounded up b airdodge read...

i'm pretty agro so that works like every time LOL it's too bad it rarely kills anyone though XD

demodemo

Smash Ace
meh, i think it doesn't really matter

for example, i play starcraft, and my hands are relatively fast for my level of play.

my actions per minute (apm) is around 140s but i am still really bad.

Even though i have learned to play the game quickly, my game sense is really bad due to lack of experience, knowledge, etc.

however, playing a lot of games would eventually allow me to make the most of those 140 actions every minute, thus becoming a good player.

same thing with smash, you can learn the techs if you want, or you can learn how to space and predict, but in the long run you will eventually learn both. i guess its just whatever you learn first..

and to avoid misconceptions, dacus CAN improve your game. it has helped myself and others but is not necessary. nothing was necessary in melee (aniki) and there is nothing necessary now.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Your point is that basic gameplay is better than techs. There's not alot of people focusing on sheik's techs in tourneys they are just writing about them and finding uses and knowing its not that useful. Theres no need to stop it because I don't really see it going on at all. Why don't you start a few ideas spewing about your sheik knowledge then? You seem to know alot about sheik's basic stuff so write up a thread please :D

Rogue

Smash Cadet
There comes a point in learning how to play when you hit a wall. Basics, ATs, whatever-- doesn't matter. Spacing. Mixing the game up. Making sure to not get hit.

Something is there and it limits you, limits everyone. Reflex. Ability to read your opponent vs your opponent's ability to read you. Things, anything, that may be on your mind at the time. Your own ability to properly utilize the basics. Utilizing ATs too (is this beyond the point of this thread? Maybe, but I'm making it the point of my point).

It's so easy to just say "focus on the basics" and assume that everyone who is stuck at their level of play need only snap themselves awake, take a trip back to basics land, and come back amazing.

There's a lot to be said of just raw talent.

=/

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
its apparently also easy to just john and say "lol apparently i cant get any better oh well"

the basics are so much more important than any other aspect of smash it isn't even close

Rogue

Smash Cadet
That's kind of you.

I don't see a single person here saying basics aren't the most important thing.

Top Bottom