• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the love of God, PLEASE use Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Psychomidget of socal invented snake as soon as Brawl was released in Japan, he developed all the grenade tricks, approaches, defenses and recoveries we see snakes use today. He was the first to play snake in tournaments, first snake to win tournaments, first to tech c4 recoveries below the stage etc.

he now quit brawl and plays melee because of the ****fest brawl and snake have become

just a quick history lesson :)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
And let's not forget the possibility that in another few months when the tier list comes out, everyone will have figured out how to beat Snake and MK. Will it happen? Most likely no. But the tiers won't be set for a while, and even when the first list comes out, it will change again in another year.

And I say, if you see someone like that, own them with whoever you play as, and show them that they suck even with the "best" characters in the game.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
Psychomidget of socal invented snake as soon as Brawl was released in Japan, he developed all the grenade tricks, approaches, defenses and recoveries we see snakes use today. He was the first to play snake in tournaments, first snake to win tournaments, first to tech c4 recoveries below the stage etc.

he now quit brawl and plays melee because of the ****fest brawl and snake have become

just a quick history lesson :)
.the irony.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
A lead-headed person sinks the logic boat.

The players you are describing Jam will never blatantly admit to being what you claim the horrid top tier users are. Why? They will not see themselves as bad, but will see YOU as cheap. It is how it always is, and how it always will be until we take every hard-headed dillweed to the gallows for a lovely necklace fitting.

Little metaphor at beginning is not directed to Jam, but the guys he is trying to get to.
You're absolutely right. Still gotta try though, right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you attempting to make me out as an antagonist? People will agree on who goes where... in that monster of a thread called "Official Tier Discussion." That still doesn't make it a real tier list, though. There's no tier list yet. I don't like hearing people talk definitively about characters being high or low tier just because they appear to have more "potential," that's all. Where's Wario, upper-mid tier? Why's Toon Link above him? I don't understand where any of these tier placements are coming from.

I'll make a mental note that silly emotes to indicate light humor are wasted on you, though.
Stick to your words. I hate it when people say something and then come back later on and say "tee hee, just kidding."

Anyways, it's mainly tournament placement and considering various traits like KO potential and recovery. Toon Link isn't that far behind Wario in tournament winnings and he definately has more KO potential, versitile projectiles, etc. If you ask me, most of it is common sense.

mandarin

Smash Rookie
Well selecting a character just because he is a top tier (which is not set in stone) is a rather bad idea in my opinion. I just try out different characters and settle for a few then. This time I tried to mix Melee and new Brawl characters thus I ended up with Wario. I mean look at his moves, they are too hilarious to not play him ;)

On the other hand side I like seeing my chars rising in tier lists when I already play them. Makes me a bit feel like making the right choice ;) Mario will rule soon! Muahuahua!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Stick to your words. I hate it when people say something and then come back later on and say "tee hee, just kidding."

Anyways, it's mainly tournament placement and considering various traits like KO potential and recovery. Toon Link isn't that far behind Wario in tournament winnings and he definately has more KO potential, versitile projectiles, etc. If you ask me, most of it is common sense.
Which words did I not stick to?
Where the hell are all of Toon Link's tournament winnings? I rarely even see him in top8.

"Common sense" seems to make characters like Snake go all the way down to #10 because "I beat my friend's Snake all the time" and Ike shift around between bottom and high tier.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character. Cort may win as Snake, but that's Cort. That's NOT YOU. Azen can win tournaments as Lucario, but you cannot. Try finding what works for you as opposed to copying what works for them.

2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.
I lol'd at the thread title =p

Just let people do what they want. If these people are smart they will realize that they aren't winning with the top tier characters and think 'oh, maybe I'm not good with this character.' And if they are ignorant then they probably won't get better by switching characters anyways.

W00T AZEN

See this is the exact reason why I don't like the tiers. I'm not gonna sit here and say 'tires don't exist cough cough' because I admit that they do. But no matter where on the tier list they are put, all characters can be winners. Any 'low tier' character has potential to be raised a person like gimpyfish. I don't care where Lucario ends up; I'm gonna keep using him.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
There's no way you're not going to have an easier time learning how to win with snake/mk than most of the other characters. I doubt that anyone has this innate trait that makes them more compatable with a char than another one. The only thing that really can decide how well you do with a char is how much fun you have because that will make you want to put more work and effort into it. Unfortunately winning is **** fun so "top-tier" chars tend to be the most suitable for players who like winning....

Still there are people who hate conformity or enjoy challenges so there's going to be people who don't play snake. Also once you get a feel for the game you may take into consideration other things aside from winning, like I hate chars without a good aerial game, which is why I feel DDD is ideal for me and I would never play Snake (maybe mk though).

One last thing, if two people are fairly close in skill as many of us are since the game came out not too long ago, how won't a superior character win the match? Realistically unless you are a really exceptional player winning with Sheik isn't going to just happen, because you feel compatible.

TokXilChaos

Smash Rookie
I don't mind Snakes, I mind Metaknights.

Constant tornado spam makes me want to burn my disc.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
This is going to be redundant. Once people get used to Snake, Snake counters will win more frequently if Jams logic is ignored. ROB is my main, and he's a Snake counter. I don't want ROB to win more tournaments because people keep going Snake.

I fought one falco, and the rest Snake for the last tournament I went to. It got old. I felt like I had to fight the same fight. Yes, the skill of each player was different, but it was significantly different each time. One was ok, just tilting, one was cooking and doing decent airworks, and the last knew how to play **** well.

That pisses me off. I want the other people to be just as good. Let me fight someone who can play to the fullest of a character. I play ROB as good as I can right now, adapting as much as I can. I'm not superb, but I don't ever want to see people start playing ROB because he's winning more tourneys.

I have to argue VS Jam on one aspect. I've been told I have a good ROB, but most of them tell me they could never pick him up. Does that make him picked because he's high? I understand snake and mk... but what about ROB and Wario? Are they picked like that, or is it just actually good players?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
That's why I've been maining Ness throughout the entire series...he fits my style (I'm not pro of course, although I'm pretty good...)

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care about Snake or Metaknight to be honest.

Snake you just have to attack constantly and fast so he can't pull off much and also play smart.

Metaknight you really just need to get his % high and he's basicly dead.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
I just noticed a problem with the OP.

and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.
And Marth, don't forget about Marth. Moving on...

I don't really care about Snake or Metaknight to be honest.

Snake you just have to attack constantly and fast so he can't pull off much and also play smart.

Metaknight you really just need to get his % high and he's basicly dead.
Due to Brawl's reduced hitstun, "attacking constantly and fast so he can't pull off much" is practically impossible. And playing smart is just playing well in general.

As for your comments on MK, that applies to every character. MK has crazy priority, insanely fast attacks, and decent range, so he can build up enough damage to get you off the stage very quickly. Once you're off, you can often kiss your stock goodbye, because Meta is the god of gimping.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I only read the first two pages, but it seems like a lot of high-fiving in here

I think it's stupid though; part of playing "whoever you like" is playing "whoever you like" FOR WHATEVER REASON YOU LIKE

If you see someone dominate using snake in a tournament, then by all means, try him out if you are seeking the same success he is. Some characters are just better equipped to win than other characters, and to ignore this factor (and in doing so, deny the existence of tiers) is pretty ignorant in a game of almost 40 characters.

I sincerely doubt that those of us who played melee chose mains and stuck to them without being, at some point, "inspired" by some pro we played or video we saw that showed us what that character was capable of. Why should it be any different now?

Ryazan

Smash Ace

I think it's stupid though; part of playing "whoever you like" is playing "whoever you like" FOR WHATEVER REASON YOU LIKE

If you see someone dominate using snake in a tournament, then by all means, try him out if you are seeking the same success he is. Some characters are just better equipped to win than other characters, and to ignore this factor (and in doing so, deny the existence of tiers) is pretty ignorant in a game of almost 40 characters.

I sincerely doubt that those of us who played melee chose mains and stuck to them without being, at some point, "inspired" by some pro we played or video we saw that showed us what that character was capable of. Why should it be any different now?
For example, part of the reason I ended up maining Marth in Melee is because I saw Ken kick ***.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Due to Brawl's reduced hitstun, "attacking constantly and fast so he can't pull off much" is practically impossible. And playing smart is just playing well in general.
This is actually possible, silly. I main Sheik, and I have seen Fox players pressure snake as well. Obviously rushing blindly does not work, but pressuring and not allowing him to pull off jabs and tilts is possible, though difficult.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I had an obsession with Sonic as a young lad,

thusly, I play him because I still have that lingering obsession and conisder him to be a childhood hero of mine.

also, oddly enough, he fits my style, and I'm good with him. I win, I'm the best, Jam you know, EC knows it, WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But A plus thread Jam

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484

I don't disagree with you at all. But I've played quite a few people (and I'm sure you have too) that main Metaknight, suck with him, and then are shocked when they lose. This thread is not to tell people not to play Snake; it's to tell people not to play Snake and expect an automatic win. Be creative, branch out, try different characters and different tactics and see what's right for you. Chu Dat didn't go to Fox or Falco for a Peach counter, he went to Pikachu, and found success. The top tier characters are good, but they're not the best choice for everyone.

I had an obsession with Sonic as a young lad,

thusly, I play him because I still have that lingering obsession and conisder him to be a childhood hero of mine.

also, oddly enough, he fits my style, and I'm good with him. I win, I'm the best, Jam you know, EC knows it, WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yes, it's all true.

ADHD

Smash Hero
um.....

Diddy Kong for top tier@!
DIDDY ****ING DESERVES IT

People complain and whine about nonexisting combos, when you're lovable chimp can perform TRUE combos with more than two moves linking together.

Anyway, go sheik and samus,

boobs ftw anyone?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Add Falco to that list, I'm ****ing tired of seeing Falcos, although I do like him.

And I might main ROB, but I main him because his style fits mine perfectly, and I do well with him, not because he's top tier.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I don't disagree with you at all. But I've played quite a few people (and I'm sure you have too) that main Metaknight, suck with him, and then are shocked when they lose. This thread is not to tell people not to play Snake; it's to tell people not to play Snake and expect an automatic win. Be creative, branch out, try different characters and different tactics and see what's right for you. Chu Dat didn't go to Fox or Falco for a Peach counter, he went to Pikachu, and found success. The top tier characters are good, but they're not the best choice for everyone.
if they're not winning with mk, it's not super likely they'll win with anyone else ;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Which words did I not stick to?
Where the hell are all of Toon Link's tournament winnings? I rarely even see him in top8.

"Common sense" seems to make characters like Snake go all the way down to #10 because "I beat my friend's Snake all the time" and Ike shift around between bottom and high tier.
How about we use the term collective common sense then. Also, let's assume we're playing against people that know what they're doing. Put an equally skilled Wario against an equally skilled Sonic and the Wario will still have a much larger advantage. It's just that simple.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
All hail rightful decisions.

I'm just proud to be a Zelda/Sheik mainer, and neither are top tier ^_^.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I actually don't see many people playing with R.O.B. to be honest.

I've fought a couple, its nerve racking. Dsmash, Lazers, Gyro, Evil Aerials, and the best Recovery in existence.

Drives me nuts...

That being said, ROB isn't completely easy to use, though I wouldn't say he's too terribly hard.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Eww, manboobs D:
manboobs? Sheik is female, dont start that ******** argument dood.
I approve of this topic, inexperienced players flock to whoever is popular.
People feel the need to label something 'best' to back up why their main has a bigger d!ck than yours,
which usually has no factual basis. Is dedede really considered 'top tier'?
Ive mained him since october 07 before i even played, he seemed unpopular at first.

oh yeah,"mk is a gimp god"? mk cant really gimp properly, thats where ddd works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom