• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the love of God, PLEASE use Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I did what you said, and I'm still good with Meta Knight compared to everyone else. Does that mean I've earned my main and I can go home? :o

Then again, I COULD go through them a few more times like with melee...

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I intended to main MK when brawl first came out. I liked MK to begin with and he looked like he was going to be a ton of fun to play.
I remember back then when we all agreed that Ike was way overpowered. I used Meta Knight alot for about 2 weeks, and then when I began to see how his Dsmash and UpB really worked, I dropped him like a sack of wet dog crap.
I didn't care if I was good with him, and I didn't care what everyone else said. I just didn't want to use a character that it felt like required very little skill and effort to win with. I don't see the honor in that, and I don't have fun with it. I would much rather have a great close battle, whether it be win or lose, with someone what actually required thinking to play.
After we all started getting much better at Brawl I found out that Ike was nowhere near overpowered in any form or fashion. Then I found out that playing Ike requires more effort and planning to play than over half of the rest of the Brawl cast. Now he is my loyal secondary and I strive everyday to improve and win with him.
People who use Meta Knight just to win do not get my respect. Sadly, even people who use him just because they like him struggle to get respect for me. In the end, I don't hate the player or the character, I just hate the biased hand of it's creator.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Wow. I find this thread a bit annoying. No one should be telling anyone who to main or who not to use. The character you use is entirely up to you.
If someone wants to pick a high tier just because they're high tier, that's their choice. It if it works for them, fine. If it doesn't, it is still up to them to decide whether they should use someone else who they might eventually prove better with or stick with the high tier until they get good.

I see people in this thread actually offering explanations as to why they play their character as if they need to justify their choice. Don't let anyone tell you who to pick. Pick the guy who you like or the guy that helps you win.

noodles

Smash Champion
what hes saying is dont expect the character you use to be good just because someone else does well with him, hes not telling anyone who to use and who not to use

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I get a lot of crap for maining G&W, but people seem to have a hard time understanding that I really only started playing him because of the puns my friends and I came up for his moves, like "this move is the KEY to success" :p (Pretty bad pun I know) I just thought he was such a silly character, and he was fun to play as. It was just luck that in Brawl he got super buffed.
Still, a lot of the people I play just claim I am a high tier user.

Of course if it bugs me too much, I can always take out my secondary to beat them, Jiggs!
That shuts them up every time :laugh:

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
what hes saying is dont expect the character you use to be good just because someone else does well with him, hes not telling anyone who to use and who not to use
Thats obvious, and the title is somewhat misleading even if he does go on to explain himself better....

Wow. I find this thread a bit annoying. No one should be telling anyone who to main or who not to use. The character you use is entirely up to you.
If someone wants to pick a high tier just because they're high tier, that's their choice. It if it works for them, fine. If it doesn't, it is still up to them to decide whether they should use someone else who they might eventually prove better with or stick with the high tier until they get good.

I see people in this thread actually offering explanations as to why they play their character as if they need to justify their choice. Don't let anyone tell you who to pick. Pick the guy who you like or the guy that helps you win.
amen.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Its true I use to play a top tier character (SNAKE) but I switched to "GASP" everybodies favorite green tunic low tier character Link

Why....because I found that spamming and abusing zair worked for me. I got really good with him and learned all the bomb AT's and I find the game more enjoyable when I beat a snake player with my low tier character.

Try the low tiers. A win is much more rewarding with a lowtier character like Link than it is with Snake.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I play as Snake, becasue I like his method.

I will play whichever character I think is best, I will play to win, I will play to beat you, and I will kill your family in front of you before killing you.

/sattire

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I find it weird that you mention Wario when Marth, Olimar, Mr. Game and Watch, King Dedede, and Toon Link are higher up on the tier list. Regarding your complaint, the issue has a lot to do with the overzealous "play to win at all costs" mentality that this forum has had since Brawl has come out and how a lot of people have been making comments that "it's only possible to win with Snake/Metaknight because they're sooooooooo good." Yes, you want to win but too many people want to skip the learning process altogether. With Melee and Brawl, I purposesly chose Mid and Low tier characters so that I could learn how to beat the top/high characters and because of their stepper learning curves (ie; Ness, Mario, and the Ice Climbers in my case). My other mains are King Dedede, Wario, and Fox because I chose the first two almost immediately after Brawl was announced and Fox was my main in the original Smash Bros.

RikotheFoxKid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RikoTheFoxKid
I play as Snake, becasue I like his method.

I will play whichever character I think is best, I will play to win, I will play to beat you, and I will kill your family in front of you before killing you.

/sattire
That's going a little overboard, don't you think, lol

Anyway, I previously said I use Lucas and Marth. That's changed. I'm not all like "OMG SNAKE BECAUSE HE'S TOP TIER!", but I can use virtually any character if I wanted to (except for Meta Knight, I can't play as him for some reason)

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I find it weird that you mention Wario when Marth, Olimar, Mr. Game and Watch, King Dedede, and Toon Link are higher up on the tier list. Regarding your complaint, the issue has a lot to do with the overzealous "play to win at all costs" mentality that this forum has had since Brawl has come out and how a lot of people have been making comments that "it's only possible to win with Snake/Metaknight because they're sooooooooo good."
We've ALWAYS had the play to win mentality. We've been saying that since before Brawl was announced. Why do you think we exploited all the faults in Melee and used all those high tier characters back then? Because we were playing to win. ALL serious fighting game communities adopt a similar mentality as it fosters growth in the metagame. Go to Shoryuken.com, Dustloop, or any other forum devoted to competitive fighting games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We've ALWAYS had the play to win mentality. We've been saying that since before Brawl was announced. Why do you think we exploited all the faults in Melee and used all those high tier characters back then? Because we were playing to win. ALL serious fighting game communities adopt a similar mentality as it fosters growth in the metagame. Go to Shoryuken.com, Dustloop, or any other forum devoted to competitive fighting games.
No, what I mean is that there are more people who think they can take "shortcuts" to win. Maybe it's just how young this game still is and how more "widespread" competitive play is with this game because of online play. (Why do I get the feeling that this post is going to be responded to with a long winded rant?)

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
^You're a good example of what not to do as well. Don't let ANYONE talk you out of a character or tactic because it's "cheap". If they can't beat you, that's their problem, not yours. If you listen to that kind of crap, then you've basically been mindgamed out of putting yourself in the best position to win. That's what we're here to do: win, not make a point. If you're good with Snake, go kick *** with him.
It's weird, He almost sounds like me. I'm starting to look into other characters because I always like having a character thats different. Snake WAS different, but then a bunch people came along and were like 'OMG SNAKE IS SO PRO LETS USE HIM SO WE CAN BE PRO TOO!!!!" And then my interest in snake started to fade. I'll still use him, but its not as satisfying winning with snake then it is with Link. ( Link NOT toon-link).

To be honest, I doubt Snake will stay top tier for long. His playstyle is new, once people start to adapt, the "theoretical" tier list WILL change.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
^Play who you like. Everyone else is always going to have thousands of opinions. Don't let someone else dictate what you like and what you don't.

And for the people saying that it's more satisfying to win with a low tier...that may be true, but reverse tier-whoring is still tier-whoring. Just like top tier =/= auto win, low tier =/= auto-respect.

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
You, sir, are genius :laugh:. I just find it funner struggling with an underused character than I do winning with an overused one. I'll still use snake, he just will no longer be my preference.

Anyway, I have to go now so, Bye.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And yet people widely agree who goes where despite this. God I love it when people respond to posts with one sentence in an attempt to one up you...
Are you attempting to make me out as an antagonist? People will agree on who goes where... in that monster of a thread called "Official Tier Discussion." That still doesn't make it a real tier list, though. There's no tier list yet. I don't like hearing people talk definitively about characters being high or low tier just because they appear to have more "potential," that's all. Where's Wario, upper-mid tier? Why's Toon Link above him? I don't understand where any of these tier placements are coming from.

I'll make a mental note that silly emotes to indicate light humor are wasted on you, though.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with Jam.

I play with whoever the hell character I want to. My mains are diddy, g&w, ganon, olimar, and mario. I secondary everyone else. Except Lucario, who still seems to escape me.

You know what? I still beat everyone I know with any character.

In short, tiers are all in your head. Just be better than the other player and, guess what, you win.

marth marth marth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i remember back in melee, when it first came out everyone thought marth sucked and roy was the best, and i always used marth, but later on everyone started saying he was cheap, and for noobs, i used him in the beginning

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
+10 for Jam's thread. Good points, and my feelings exactly. I'm not going to consider MetaKnight my main just because he's supposedly top-tier if I'm much more comfortable with Kirby. Metaknight's attacks come out quicker, but Kirby's movements are quicker so I prefer Kirby. Play who you like! ...even if it's Snake or Meta.

palooka

Smash Rookie
Dont tell me what to do!!!!

and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character.

ok your telling people to be more than just snake? well im telling you to stop being more than one person who you are good with. Try out snake and get good with him!

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
One of my best friends uses MK. He gets upset because he feels like he's cheap because he plays as a top tier character. I play as Ness. And beat him. A lot.

Long story short, we play as the characters we do because we like the characters. Just play as whoever you like. It's that simple.

I'm angry at the people that choose top tier chars because they are top tier.

Meh. I didn't choose Marth back in Melee because he was top tier, I chose him because he was my favorite character. It's that simple.

Exypnos

Smash Cadet
i agree with good player > good character, and I believe you shoulnd't use who you like the most not who you think you are best with, because eventually you will become better with the character you like more if you work on them

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
ok your telling people to be more than just snake? well im telling you to stop being more than one person who you are good with. Try out snake and get good with him!
No, you don't get it.

I play as pretty much all the characters. Some people chose to play as those characters he listed simply because they are top tier.

If you want to play as Snake, play as Snake. Period.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
i agree with good player > good character, and I believe you shoulnd't use who you like the most not who you think you are best with, because eventually you will become better with the character you like more if you work on them
Iunno, IMO just play as whoever you want to. If you like playing as them, do so. I'm apparently really good as Pikachu and the Ice Climbers. I can't stand playing as them though. I say just play as whoever you feel like.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or is this guy 100% correct?
I always choose mains based on how I play them. I know people who can't stand Sonic, but my friend mains him and kicks @$$. Everyone invests so much time and energy into "Top-Tier" characters that other characters are ignored. And they have some utterly amazing tricks in their bags. That is reason number 1 why I main the random button. And Zelda, for guaranteed win.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
I think one of the main reasons people are becoming snake mains is because they realize he can win tournaments. If obvious that the person has to actually be good in order to win, but snake as a character beats many other characters, which is why they are starting to main him now. People want to win tournaments is basically what it is.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I play snake because he's top tier.

Yes, there are counter strategies to his playstyle, but they require baiting, precise timing and a bit of luck to get around them. High risk, moderate reward. Snake's playstyle is generally low risk high reward.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
^You're a good example of what not to do as well. Don't let ANYONE talk you out of a character or tactic because it's "cheap". If they can't beat you, that's their problem, not yours. If you listen to that kind of crap, then you've basically been mindgamed out of putting yourself in the best position to win. That's what we're here to do: win, not make a point. If you're good with Snake, go kick *** with him.
hmmm...isn't that the point of this thread???? your pretty much saying that people shouldn't pay attention to this thread. you just stated that it's fine using and picking up Top Tier characters. let the people do what they want. I agree only trying top tier characters because they're top tier is kinda dumb, but oh well. i picked up Wario before he was popular, and i did it because I love the Wario Ware games and i like his feel.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Its sort of amusing how many people decide to just post without reading through the thread, hell, without even clearly reading through the Original Post. Good grief.

I play snake because he's top tier.

Yes, there are counter strategies to his playstyle, but they require baiting, precise timing and a bit of luck to get around them. High risk, moderate reward. Snake's playstyle is generally low risk high reward.
Amen.

And I practice hard to become better with him every day. I don't depend on his brokenness to win for me, but I know that it obviously helps.

If you're good, and you have the potential to become excellent with most every character....why not choose amongst the best characters in the game?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
A lead-headed person sinks the logic boat.

The players you are describing Jam will never blatantly admit to being what you claim the horrid top tier users are. Why? They will not see themselves as bad, but will see YOU as cheap. It is how it always is, and how it always will be until we take every hard-headed dillweed to the gallows for a lovely necklace fitting.

Little metaphor at beginning is not directed to Jam, but the guys he is trying to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom