• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the love of God, PLEASE use Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

washy

Smash Apprentice
2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.
Maybe your just playing crappy players.

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
Signed.

People should play as characters who suit their prefered style.

But I hate people who play as a character just because they want to be in advantage as well.
I HATE having to face a Wario every freakin' time i choose to play as Sonic. Just an example.

But there are no Tiers in Brawl, are there?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Umm...
Wario?

See, its funny you mention Wario, because you would not have mentioned Wario a month ago.

Play who you like, things will eventually fall into place. Characters and how much they are played sorta has a pendulum effect. Some characters will start to do well against the current spammed top tier (Wario is an example here), in turn, characters will do well against these, and the process and evolution will continue and it will be quite awhile before we have a grasp on anything solid.

This doesn't also touch on, what if Snake/Meta are some peoples favorite character regardless of tiers? Both characters were loved prior to the release of Brawl.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I main Falcon, when I go to tournies I can't beat Snake or MK, it's honestly impossible because of priority, and because Brawl doesn't have anything that requires technical skill, tiers will still account for a lot, until some useful AT is discovered that applies to all characters that allow them to move faster or what not there are going to be a vast majority of spamming upB MK's and Snakes

that's just the reality

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
The bandwagon state is exactly what annoys me about this early Brawl community.
This thread was a relief, I expected it to be a first-poster whining about how awful he was against that character.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I main Falcon, when I go to tournies I can't beat Snake or MK, it's honestly impossible because of priority, and because Brawl doesn't have anything that requires technical skill, tiers will still account for a lot, until some useful AT is discovered that applies to all characters that allow them to move faster or what not there are going to be a vast majority of spamming upB MK's and Snakes

that's just the reality
That's why you should have secondaries so that you can deal with counterpicks and hard match-ups in general.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Umm...
Wario?

See, its funny you mention Wario, because you would not have mentioned Wario a month ago.
That's exactly the point. I'm talking to people who play Wario because someone else did well with him, not because they themselves do well with him.

Play who you like, things will eventually fall into place. Characters and how much they are played sorta has a pendulum effect. Some characters will start to do well against the current spammed top tier (Wario is an example here), in turn, characters will do well against these, and the process and evolution will continue and it will be quite awhile before we have a grasp on anything solid.
Agreed.

This doesn't also touch on, what if Snake/Meta are some peoples favorite character regardless of tiers? Both characters were loved prior to the release of Brawl.
I'm not talking to those people.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I completely agree, you see all these people that THINK they're good with top tiers, and it's just horrible to play against them. It may not be fun to get beat by a really good Snake, but I think it's worse to win against a really bad one.

If some person chose a character solely based on what tier the character is, then I wouldn't think very highly of that person, compared to a person who chose a character for the reason that they enjoyed playing with him/her.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why should he touch on that? He's not complaining about people picking a top tier because it happened to be their favorite character, he's complaining about bad players picking Snake and Meta Knight because they think they'll start auto-winning that way.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I used to use Snake, but after people always complaining on Gamebattles that Snake was cheap and me winning really didn't count, I decided to stop using him. I was a really good Snake mainer, I wasn't like a lot of people that I've played. Most of the people that I played who used Snake weren't that good and only used Snakes since he is a high/top tier character. I've now decided to now use Falco. He isn't a top tier character, but I want to use him. I know that he is a really good character, you just have to spend more time mastering him, then it does with Snake or MK.

In the end, I agree. People shouldn't use top tier characters because they are top tier and excpet to win. They take skill to use. If you suck at Brawl, you will still suck with top tier characters against people who have mastered their mid/low tier character. So please, don't use top tier characters just because they are top tier, use the character that you like the most and make that character seem top tier. Sonic, who is a low tier character seems top tier when my two friends on another form use him. Dnes, who is on this forum too is one of them. He makes Sonic seem to be a better character then Snake and MK, but he isn't, it's just the player who uses him.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
^You're a good example of what not to do as well. Don't let ANYONE talk you out of a character or tactic because it's "cheap". If they can't beat you, that's their problem, not yours. If you listen to that kind of crap, then you've basically been mindgamed out of putting yourself in the best position to win. That's what we're here to do: win, not make a point. If you're good with Snake, go kick *** with him.

^You're a good example of what not to do as well. Don't let ANYONE talk you out of a character or tactic because it's "cheap". If they can't beat you, that's their problem, not yours. If you listen to that kind of crap, then you've basically been mindgamed out of putting yourself in the best position to win. That's what we're here to do: win, not make a point. If you're good with Snake, go kick *** with him.
I was just about to ask you about this, but you brought it up before I could.

Great points Jam Stunna

Ryazan

Smash Ace
So basically, you're saying that if you're good with Snake, play with him all you want, but if you're just using him because other people are good with him, stop. If those people miraculously become good with him, they're no longer the people you're talking to, right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pick a character you think you'll be good at. Doesn't matter if it's low, mid, or high tier.

Don't pick a character you think will just let you start winning games because it's a broken character. It won't work in tournaments and you won't be getting any better relying entirely on just a character carrying you through.

Don't pick a character just to gain some recognition. Saying you lost just because you were using a worse character is a john, and you won't be getting any better relying on some notion that your character isn't supposed to win in the first place.

noodles

Smash Champion
lol i think this thread may be aimed at me

however ive always used rob

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
So basically, you're saying that if you're good with Snake, play with him all you want, but if you're just using him because other people are good with him, stop. If those people miraculously become good with him, they're no longer the people you're talking to, right?
Exactly. I don't hate Snake or MK users (okay, maybe MK users...;)), it's just that alot of people are putting themselves at a significant disadvantage by trying to copy someone else's success. Like AZ said, play who you like, and the rest will fall into place.

Haha, no, it's not aimed at you Noodles. You're actually good with ROB. Stupid Corneria infinites.

EDIT: Ankoku is absolutely right. There's not more honor in losing with a low tier than there is in winning with a high tier.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_>.
Good threads are made by Jam.
Good points are made by Jam.
Good shyyyzinite Jam.
D: Go Lucario!
-DD

acv

Smash Journeyman
too bad i told myself before the game came out i would main snake and use MK as a secondary,i was about to drop them for wolf but now i wont do it.too bad the people who main low tires think they are better because of who they main.

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
too bad i told myself before the game came out i would main snake and use MK as a secondary,i was about to drop them for wolf but now i wont do it.too bad the people who main low tires think they are better because of who they main.
He already said people who said they would main Snake and MK before the game came out aren't included in this. He's talking about the scrubs who main high tiers and think they are better because of who they main.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I started maining MK after I decided I liked his playstyle (And the character himself) best out of all the characters I tried, and before ever reading a tier list.
Lately I've been using Lucario more for similar reasons: I like how he plays and I like the Pokemon series. I started using him back when he was considered dead-middle-of-the-road on most tier lists, and before Azen started tearing it up with him.
Good enough?

brg

Smash Ace
I started maining MK after I decided I liked his playstyle (And the character himself) best out of all the characters I tried, and before ever reading a tier list.
Lately I've been using Lucario more for similar reasons: I like how he plays and I like the Pokemon series. I started using him back when he was considered dead-middle-of-the-road on most tier lists, and before Azen started tearing it up with him.
Good enough?
I play King Dedede. Why? Because hes awesome and I loved the kirby series as a kid. Satisfied?

noodles

Smash Champion
lol jam mybad

the moral of the thread is you shouldnt main characters pro's use hoping to be better because they can use them well, instead try to become good with characters of your own personal choice, really whatever is comfortable and you can do well with.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman

It's not fully them. I've been thinking for a while to change characters. I just get tired of using one character to own with after a while. I think Falco has a lot more potential then Snake right now. I believe that I can figure out new combos and pull off some amazing KOs with Falco.

With Snake, it is pretty much impossible to combo, since he is too slow. He also can't chain grab like Falco. I'm able to set up some pretty sweet KOs with the CG. Not just the normal CG to the edge and Dair spike.

Also Snake as an infinite grab, but I've never been able to pull if off in a friendly match or competative play. It is just way to situational.

Edit:

I forgot to mention this before. I originally mained Snake because I looked at the character ranking guide and saw that he was winning the most, so I chose him. I then actually got good with him and started to win a lot more.

blueyoshi5

Smash Rookie
I didn't realise R.O.B was so common...

I've been the only R.O.B player I've seen. But I know that's not the case. I was messing around with characters I hadn;t seen before, and tried out R.O.B. I just like him.

Kirby was just random when I was playing against a friends MK and was like Kirby's actually good now :O

Olimar I chose from justliking him and being good with him.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
what infinite grab O_o?
Pretty much you get your opponent right next to the ledge, so that they are about to fall off. You then grab them and Dthrow them. They will fall off the stage, but will stand up while falling. You have to grab their head before they fall too low and grab onto the ledge. That's pretty much it.

Here's a video of it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6sxaAJpiM

Also I know, ROB is a really good charcter. I won a tournament with him, I then changed to Snake. Now I main Falco. I made my sig yesterday. The only problem is that Falco is that good looking. I don't know why. He looked normal on gimp, but after I uploaded it on Photobucket, he looked like he does now.

Anyways what do you think about the sig?

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, R.O.B?

I've seen more Lucarios and Pikachus than ROBs...

With that said, I have mained Snake, Dedede, ROB, Ganon, and Samus, for awhile.

Snake is my favorite video game character. I wouldn't care if he was bottom (kinda wish he was, now that EVERYONE is maining him). I mained Samus in Melee, I love projectiles, so Snake and ROB are definately in. And Ganon is really great.

People need to stop being such tierwhores, Azen is amazing with Lucario, Alpha Zealot has a great Diddy Kong, people need to realise that tiers virtually have no effect come game time. I'm very good against Snakes, the supposed "broken character".

noodles

Smash Champion
i heard you can fastfall out of that, havent tried it myself so i wouldnt know. it'll be good useing it on people who dont know about it though

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
i heard you can fastfall out of that, havent tried it myself so i wouldnt know. it'll be good useing it on people who dont know about it though
I don't know if you can or not. It is pretty much impossible to pull off. I don't think you gain control back in order to fast fall before you're grabbed, but I don't think it will ever matter, since the chances of being caught in it is like 1/billion.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I agree, people should main who they like playing as the most. In my opinion, if you like the character you will get better as them easier than if you don't.

Like I love characters that have a really cool looking off stage move that is an almost guaranteed instant kill. I also just pick characters that I like from their games. The only really good character I like is D3, but some of the people who play as him really bug me, plus I hate chain grabbing and infiniting people. It's no fun if they can't fight back.

RikotheFoxKid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RikoTheFoxKid
and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character. Cort may win as Snake, but that's Cort. That's NOT YOU. Azen can win tournaments as Lucario, but you cannot. Try finding what works for you as opposed to copying what works for them.

2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.
I totally agree with this. Use who you like, not who everyone thinks is good!

I use Lucas, and I rock with him! I'm also very good with Marth, and as far as I know, no one likes him.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I am getting tired of seeing more and more snake players at every tourney I go to, but honestly now I've gotten pretty good at killing them since I get SOOOOO much practice. And yeah I don't play a low tier character (yoshi) just so I can say I'm better when i beat them with him I'm just a loyal player I guess, still remember when i saw my first tier list for melee last year with yoshi on the bottom and didn't care.

But yeah I've grown to hate tier whores soooo much because Snake after Snake after Snake is getting a bit out of hand, I mean where did all the MK mains go? Oh wait they've all switched to Snake!!! But yeah the biggest advantage to this is knowing how to play against them since there are soo many, no one really knows how to fight yoshi, ness, or _____(any character not high+ tier) as effectively do to their absences in tournies.

Another fun thing to do with tier whores is be like, psssshhhh I'll show you how easy it s to pick up snake then beat them with snake cause him and MK are so straightforward. Ah this reminds me of melee shiek days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom