• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the love of God, PLEASE use Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I agree, but if people want to play top tiers, why stop them? I play Luigi much more comfortably than any other character, and have since SSB64. I choose the character I am best with, because even though plenty of characters are better than Luigi, the massive amounts of skill difference makes up for that when I play. If you play Snake like a downs kid, but you can play Mario significantly better, just stick with Mario. I have an easier time beating MK with Luigi (even though its an aweful matchup) than I do with Snake...

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I kind of disagree with the concept of this thread. There is really not much wrong with picking a character that is presumed to be high tier because you feel you will do better with that character. The problem is when you expect that character to make up for your lack of skill. If you pick up Snake because he is a broken character there isnt anything wrong with it, as long as you intend to get GOOD with him and realize you arent good because of him, but that his matchups make winning much easier.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
^I don't disagree with that, in fact it's pretty close to the point I was trying to make. I see alot of people who rely on the character's strengths as opposed to utilizing them. Do you see what I mean?

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Sort of. But I think that intention is more important than how well that player can use the character they choose. Everyone relies on the strengths of their character to win, and being able to fully utilize those strengths is a product of experience with the character. Someone who sucks with Snake and only picked him because he has amazing matchups and does very well in tournaments is fully justified in their actions as long as they realize they actually need to practice with him to get good. So its not their ability to utilize their characters strengths effectively, its their intention to learn that justifies their choice.

parisite

Smash Cadet
its funny i have been using snake before i knew he was top tier then i get all this criticism so i barely use him now so i starts using wario not so long ago now everyone says he top tier now wtf i could care less what these people think anymore i **** because im nice point blank

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Why are you complaining about this!? In a tournament, these people may be your first match...they get cocky...you get nasty...you win. Why complain, it's an easy match-up.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
The bandwagon state is exactly what annoys me about this early Brawl community.
This thread was a relief, I expected it to be a first-poster whining about how awful he was against that character.
lmfao, exactly what I thought.

Anyways they might be using that top tier character bescause maybe they are best with them? They could naturally be bad you know. And maybe they like MGS games and they like playing with Snake because they like Snake.

Pick whichever character you like, if they suck with a top tier, they might just think they have an easier learning curve.

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
MK mains b4 seeing a tier list unite. keep trying to snake dash noob snakes lol. and keep trying to control the glide noob MKs lmao. tier ***** accusers of ppl who are good with that character go suck a **** with that lowzy excuse for losing. deep down everyone playing low tier is playing that character cuz its their best and fits their play style very well, so dont say "anyone can easily play MK and snake like that". ur in denial *****

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
Anyways they might be using that top tier character because maybe they are best with them?
This is true. and top tier being exactly that, top tier, it is more likely that ppl are better with these characters.

They could naturally be bad you know. And maybe they like MGS games and they like playing with Snake because they like Snake.
this is partly true, but unlikely for most snake mainers. proof? just look at how much more hype sonic got b4 brawl came out. and how many ppl main him?

Pick whichever character you like, if they suck with a top tier, they might just think they have an easier learning curve.
wolf's is easier, trust me (unless were talkin all the way to meta-game, i respect the truly mastered wolfs)

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character. Cort may win as Snake, but that's Cort. That's NOT YOU. Azen can win tournaments as Lucario, but you cannot. Try finding what works for you as opposed to copying what works for them.

2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.

LOL... this is funny. Everyone knows that Player > Character, but hell if you can win with one, even if you dont like them, then go for it.
I personally chose Wario when the game came out, because hes a bad-***, but YEAH, I started playing Snake when i realized how easy it is to win with him.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
LOL... this is funny. Everyone knows that Player > Character, but hell if you can win with one, even if you dont like them, then go for it.
I personally chose Wario when the game came out, because hes a bad-***, but YEAH, I started playing Snake when i realized how easy it is to win with him.
You really havent learnt anything from this thread.

EmblemLord is in serious need of a read through the OP of this thread.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Tiers exist. Get over it. Some characters will be naturally better than others. If you are a better player you will still have the advantage. However if a Marth and Ness player of equal skill go head to head, Marth is going to win because he naturally has an advantage. If a Snake and a Samus player of equal skill go head to head, Snake is going to win because he is naturally a much better character. You can argue this if you want but just try playing a low tier character against competent high tier players and you will soon learn just how hard it is to gain the upper hand. Granted there will still be a lot of shifting in the tiers since the game is so new, but some characters will always go above others.

I am a Lucas player because I like his moveset. He will be mid or low tier. This is because he has a really freaking hard time against a lot of higher tier characters when they know what they're doing. There is nothing wrong with picking a character because you think you will have a higher chance of winning with him. It's a competitive game, therefore focusing on winning. If you want to win more often, you have a much higher chance of doing it with Snake than with some other characters.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Tiers exist. Get over it. Some characters will be naturally better than others. If you are a better player you will still have the advantage. However if a Marth and Ness player of equal skill go head to head, Marth is going to win because he naturally has an advantage. If a Snake and a Samus player of equal skill go head to head, Snake is going to win because he is naturally a much better character. You can argue this if you want but just try playing a low tier character against competent high tier players and you will soon learn just how hard it is to gain the upper hand. Granted there will still be a lot of shifting in the tiers since the game is so new, but some characters will always go above others.

I am a Lucas player because I like his moveset. He will be mid or low tier. This is because he has a really freaking hard time against a lot of higher tier characters when they know what they're doing. There is nothing wrong with picking a character because you think you will have a higher chance of winning with him. It's a competitive game, therefore focusing on winning. If you want to win more often, you have a much higher chance of doing it with Snake than with some other characters.
You missed the point, the point was that people are choosing these higher tier characters in the mindset that it will enable an automatic win, and this is completely false.

Medic

Smash Cadet

While this is true, it may not be quite accurate. 'Skill' is a very strange term and can be defined in many ways. Some players are technical and others not. The phrase 'equal amount of skill' doesn't really work because some skills are better than others. I think that a Ness that is trained in one discipline that wins against a Marth that's trained in another winning discipline potentially has an even shot. Mind you, I do agree that some characters have more base raw potential than others, but I do believe that in the end, the Player end is almost double the Character end.
Also, I agree with the OP, using 'good' characters without being good at them is pointless and trite. It's a waste of time to go and train for playing Snakes if I can just sit there and Throw->Spike em. I want matches that are satisfying. If I'm going with my main with everything I've got and my opponent is doing likewise, man, that's a good match. But if my opponent isn't anywhere near as good with their character, the match just isn't fun. I don't want gimme matches.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I wanted to use Metaknight before the game came out b/c I just KNEW he would be top tier. In the first few matches, he didn't necessarily have a huge advantage and my friend kept beating me with Pit (who seemed like a god at first), but now I constantly gimp his recoveries. :p

I played Snake a couple of times to test Snake, but I don't think he's worth playing to me. He's way too campy and defensive.

Llumys

Smash Champion
People should play who they enjoy playing as, not who is higher on the tier list. Just because someone uses Snake or Meta Knight doesn't mean their tier whores. I play Meta Knight because I like his moveset, not because the Smash community thinks he's good (or cheap.)

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i tend to fight MK's Snakes D3 and warios even if marth's top you rarely see him still so no complaints on marth but those three i get tired of fighting them same **** all the time chaingrab/cheap30-50%kills/to powerful tilts/ just annoying warios taunting on you everytime they do something funny cuz warios taunts can be the most insulting. You don't see variety in the game and since only like 4 characters have ATs and others have like barely any it just gets boring and repeatitive if you see/fight the same characters

Dont use mindgame so freely. People play who they want to play nuff said.
You say Mindgames like it's a move. >_>

That term gets thrown around so **** often it's starting to lose meaning.

Anyways, to stay unpredictable without looking ********, I'd say use some feint hops towards your opponent, usually that gets them to airdodge if they've fallen to the same tactic or are just flat out used to playing with you. Another example (I will use Marth as one) is instead of using Marth's Fair, you could always mix it up with an Nair to keep your opponents on their toes. Another risky but pretty effective tactic is delaying your timing so that your opponent with do what he's normally used to doing and you can punish him for being repetitive (BTW, THAT is a true definition of a Mind Game).

Basiciallly, try not to do the same move over and over, but don't do things that make you look like a fool, just use moves that could also work out in the said situation.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
This topic is pointless, who cares if someone uses a character because someone else is good with him. does it really matter y someone is using the character there using? stop telling people what to do...

rayecho

Smash Ace
I don't understand why you made this thread. Was it to tell people what characters they should and shouldn't play? Otherwise I hope this thread gets closed real soon. =)

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character. Cort may win as Snake, but that's Cort. That's NOT YOU. Azen can win tournaments as Lucario, but you cannot. Try finding what works for you as opposed to copying what works for them.

2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.
For the love of god! Stop Complaining!!!

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Umm...
Wario?

See, its funny you mention Wario, because you would not have mentioned Wario a month ago.
My thoughts exactly.

I must have missed the part where Wario became top-tier; he was solid mid-tier last I checked. Maybe its because I'm vacationing on the other side of the planet (Bahrain) and don't get much interwebs. Don't know.

Apparently I've been maining a top-tier for months without knowing it...yay?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Did ANY of you actually read the posts in this thread?

He is saying "Don't play these characters expecting to win instantly because it's not going to happen - the smarter player is always going to win every time and you only look dumb by playing a top tier and looking sh*tty. Instead, try branching out and see which characters you like before you go back to playing top tiers."

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Huh? Sorry boys, but I live in the west coast and...

Over here, we think Wario is pretty much ****ing amazing.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
I mained Metaknight before I even knew about the Brawl tiers. I main him because he's a bad*ss, he's got good jumps, and he has a sexy voice. He was my first branch out from Zelda/Sheik, and so I feel obligated to defend him.

I use the whorenado 2-3 times a match at most, too.

I think people should play as their favorite characters and/or whom they find fun to play as. I'm thinking about picking up CF just so I can fun around in pink and white with erect nipples asking people to show me their moves.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hey guys, guess what?

There are Snake counters, or at least Snake counter strategies.

Diddy Kong, Wario, Sheik have all proven true in my eyes.

That's probably not all of them, more counters are probably undiscovered. For example there's a lot of random counters that people don't know about like Link ****** Toon Link. Some might even disagree with me on these, but wanna know why they would? It's because they've experienced new things too.

MK is another story, but lately I've been working hard to find a counter character for him. (Not because I don't wanna use my main... it's just to expand all my possibilities.)

This is really how people should go about judging how to fight against top tiers.

I hardly ever lose to Snake with sheik, I was being serious. G&W is much, much harder.

noodles

Smash Champion
ROB and falco does kind of good vs snake, i guess because they can gimp his recovery well. against GAW i use toon link, my robs worst match ups is gaw and pit, so i counter GAW with toon link and pit with wolf (reflector lol)

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
Well I use pika and ROB.

I mained pika in melee and I picked up ROB when I saw how pissed people were that he was in the game instead of some of their favorite characters or mascots.

*eats cookie*

>_>

*trips*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom