• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

for how long do YOU play the smash series?

wh1te5had0w

Smash Journeyman
I got melee the day it was out and started to play competitive a year before brawl come out.
I also got brawl the day it was released and have been playing it competitively for a while now.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Got the 64 Version in 99-00...but I only played 1 player mode and beat my family 99.99% of the time.
Melee-I played 1 player mode mainly...I didn't have opportunities to play with anyone else before Brawl was released
Brawl-I got it on release date and have had more opportunities to Brawl with other players...same goes for Melee right now.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
I never got the original super smash bros. but played it at my cousin`s house,
then when melee came out we got that with a gamecube on christmas the first year it came
out, and I got Brawl last year :)

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i started playing smash bros around 2000, maybe 2001. i cant really remember back then. but i actually didnt own a smash game til i got melee in 2003 with my gamecube. then a few months later i finally got smash 64. (why did i sell my n64????) then last year, i went to the midnight release for brawl. so ya, ive been playing for a long time. but i didnt start competitive play til last year.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE replace the 4th word with either "have" or "did." if you could. It is just really getting on my nerves because I see if from the main page.

I played since 64

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I dabbled in 64, but didn't own a game until I bought Melee in like 2003.

I still don't own a Wii of my own or a copy of Brawl >< But a friend imported it early and I played it then.

As for how long I've been trying to play competitively, well...I've wanted to for about a year and a half, and have only recently learned to consistently beat total nubs. ^_^;

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
I started with Smash 64 in 2000. Never played Melee and played Brawl at my friends house since its release last year. I too don't own a copy of this game, but eventually I got a white GC controller and have been to two tournaments. In our group, there are two good people and the rest of us are scrubs. lol

Ricomagik

Smash Rookie
I started off playing SSB for like a year.us Then I never plahed melee until the wii came out. Then like a year later I got Brawl the first day N I have been playing it ever since.

Ikenomon

Smash Apprentice
I started playing the Smash Series when my older bro bought the first game at about the year 2000. After that, there was a little gap when I didn't play the Smash Series at all. But now I play it all the time.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I started when melee came out but did not play it a lot. When Brawl came out I played more smash. Soon after I bought a N64 with the original game.

ZeldEmblIcar

Smash Rookie
i played Melee a couple times at a friend's house (we were always kirbys, me yellow and her pink, in slow-motion), but never took much interest in it. Then my brother got SSBB, and now it's my favorite game!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I first saw Super Smash Bros 64 in a Nintendo Power magazine. I was to young to understand what the game was and for some reason I thought a stock was a post sign or something. I did get it though and I had played it enough to discover the release of Super Smash Bros Melee and wait for it to be released. I started playing melee after christmas of that year. Then essentally the same happend in brawl of 06 before the wii was released. I forgot about it over that year because of the wiis release and also playing ssb64 online with an emulator. Then year of 07 was all about Brawl with those Smash Bros Dojo updates. Then I played brawl in Feb from a japanese import and then got the game March 08. I've stopped playing Melee and 64 and have been only playing Brawl really.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I got Melee for Christmas a few years back, probably three or four, maybe five. But I just played it casually and for fun. I got Brawl about a year ago and still play casually (I would play more hardcore if I could get better, but I am unable to progress at all:() but am trying to learn more stuff.

So about five years, but not too much until Brawl.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
My sister and I got 64 as a present, probably in 1999. I had a cube for a few years, and finally got Melee last summer (2008, after Brawl came out.) I played it everyday, consuming my life. Brawl was on sale for $30 this April or something, so I decided to buy it, even though I knew I liked Melee better (had played Brawl before.) Still, I now just play Brawl with my online buds, and flip to Melee when I need something else.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
About 3 hours a day.

I started at my cousins when Smash 64 was out,
but never got it on N64, but then got Melee on Gamecube and Brawl on Wii.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Since 64 baby. My brother got it on the relase date and I didnt even know it exsisted. When I saw Pikachu, Mario, DK ect. on the front cover i was like o__O?! This HAS to be good.

spartandrew21

Smash Cadet
I played SSB on n64 since about 2000-2001. I never got melee, but I played it at friends houses, and now I've got brawl.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Well I played Smash 64 during 1999-2003 until I was finally able to get Melee. I then played Melee until I got Brawl last year. However I only played Brawl for a couple of months before I came running back to Melee =P

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Since the day the original came out. I've played countless games since then, but the Smash series is the one I've played the most. If I didn't have a new game to play, I'd go to Smash.

Giffica

Smash Rookie
10 Years. I have a total of 4562 hours of BRAWL time. Not powertime. Thats in 2 years. Yes in a Psycho. And in case your wondering its only possible to play 8760 hours in a year. Meaning I have played Brawl roughly 25% of my life in the last 2 years. Ye sits crazy. I know i need help. Im getting it. Now Meele? I was younger, but Everyday i played at least 2 hours. Thats weekdays. Weekends it was 6-8 hours. So thats somewhere in the thousands because i played it for 7 Years. SSB Origi was less because i was literally 6-8 years old. I mean i couldn't even beat Normal! (Mind you that Normal is todays current Hard beause it used to go Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard.)

highfive

Smash Lord
Since the original 64 all the way! It was insane. What Giffica said. Back then, Very Hard ment crying for hours because you couldn't win since you were either too young or no good. Now it's meh, that was easy.

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
i played 64 a bit but sucked so bad i couldn't beat the master hand

i played melee freeforalls all items always temple with my friends a lot for the first 4 weeks after i got it

brawl i played the first day then didn't play until 3 months ago...i haven't played as much as most people

NightSky

Smash Journeyman
Ah since the original 64, i still miss the old stages like Saffron City, Old Hyrule castle etc.
Yea i remember back when i was like 8 or so i was barely able to beat Normal without continues and unlock Ness..played Melee since late 2002 and just got Brawl about a month ago.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
i was 7 and my cousins gave me their nint. 64 with all their games. including smash bros 64.
then i bought melee wen it came out and bought brawl also.
so its been 8 years.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Semi Off-topic, but answers the question:

I was born in '94 and as an only child, there were no relatives older than me to get me into SSB early. Though my first console was a SNES at age 3, my mom blew it up (accidentally) and so I was stuck not knowing the true greatness of Nintendo. At age 6 or so, I got a PSOne and liked the Crash Bandicoot games. However, I had gone to one of my mom's friend's house on a party and played SSB64 with the kids there. The memory is quite vague as I only remember playing as Pikachu in Yoshi's Island. Later on (I believe Early-Mid 2005), I FINALLY gotten a Gamecube, (My GBC and GBA had slightly-rekindled my liking for Nintendo). As I first game, I chose between SSBM, and Crash Tag Team Racing. My naivety made me pick the latter. A short while later, I bought SSBM and Mario Sunshine, fully rekindling my Nintendo Fan-side. I played SSBM, and with my Mario Fan side up, mained Mario for a good couple of years ('till 07 or early '08), though I had no skill in ATs, save for shorthopping and fast-falling which I figured out myself. During that period of time, I played Smash on and off, having no idea the smash community was this big (or this good) and I was more interested in the main Nintendo games. Still, I was better than all of my friends. That's when IT happened. Going on YouTube, I happened to come across the video "SSBM hardcore match". The Falco performance by Bombsoldier was an amazing spectacle in my eyes. That got me wanting to learn more of smash. So what did I do? I switched my main to Falco and tried to learn ATs. At first, I was discouraged. Despite viewing Wak's AHTP vid, all I got out of it at the time was dash-dancing (though it worked on some of my friends, I still felt rather bad at the game). And thus I had quit again. It was only recently (mid-late '08 that I got a better understanding of said techs.). Now knowing SHFFLing after failing miserably for a long time, Wavedashing and (just a couple of months ago) Wavelanding, I dominated my friends further, even in Brawl and 64 where I wasn't as proficient. Knowing these techniques, also gave me a sense of confidence in this game, and now I play it bi-daily at least, regardless of if it's vs CPU or not. Knowing these techniques, review Wak's and the Bombsoldier's video eventually led me to join the Smash Boards officially (I had joined once before but only to get the SSB Mugen), watch and study more combo-videos, enjoy the fighting genre much more, and with a couple of thread I had read a few of weeks ago, got me to remake Mario/Doc as my second (and now possibly first) main.

But if you want the answer to this question in a much simpler way: I'd say about a timespan total to one year. (24/7/365 timespan)

sammy p

Smash Lord
well... i started at the VERY beginning of melee.... so ive been playing for a good 8 years now!

..... ive only playd the original for about 10 minutes of my life im ashamed to say.... hah

UberMario

Smash Master
I started with the first game on the N64.

My dad rented it, and I said,"What kind of game involves hitting dinosaurs and pink puff balls with hammers? This game must be lame!"

Boy was I wrong.

IMYP

Smash Rookie
I got all of them around the time they each came out and I played them a lot with friends. Though I've have never played competitivly.

Top Bottom