• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FMOI and Glyph present War of the Roses. DABUZ IS THE CHAMP!

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
FMOI, I think he was talking to Omis?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I call johns.

EDIT: Oh. My. God. Have you guys heard?

Chaco

Never Logs In
It doesn't matter. I'm off my game today, anyway so I'm not going to accept any matches. I really hate online play.

I dare someone to say I johned.
Lol....there was like two to three johns in that first sentence.

JOHNS!

Omis

my friends were skinny
Thank you. Your Falco is something to be reckened with as is your ZSS. Do you think I should drop Falcon in favot of Marth

@excellence
I didnt keep traclk but I think he won all but two.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It was like 5-2 me?

and I just picked up falco yesterday lolz

I didnt use TL, I was about to in the next match

Barge

Aww man I was hoping that he was your secondary. I guess this is proof that I suck in that matchup.
My secondary is olimar, which I haven't used in forever. Olimars starting to bore me, all he is is grab combos -> throw pikminz

Changed sig I guess, does zss have an icon?

@Excellence: Who's your secondary?

Edit: nvm about the zss icon

Barge

I suppose I could brawl you if you want, I already have you added.

But give your best don't walk off the stage plawks.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
your code is not registering for some reason. and its not wrong either

EDIT: wait you must've not entered mine yet, my bad, wasn't thinking lol

Another EDIT: well I added you, we can play later

Barge

I'm eating which is why I left, ggs, nice wolf and fox, I've never fought a good one before o:

Excellence

Smash Champion
It's my first day using the both of them, so I'll take that as a compliment. Reguardless, I still see only error in both of them. ESPECIALLY Wolf. Fox was fine with what I did, but his gameplay was 100% empty.

Barge

Critique on my TL please?

D:

Your advice from last time helped a lot.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
OK excellence, I'm still online if you wanna play

Excellence

Smash Champion
Critique on my TL please?

D:

Your advice from last time helped a lot.
Alright. This time you were pretty good, but you've still got some issues. Let's talk about your approach first.

When you approach me you ALWAYS throw a bomb before you approach, that's increasingly predictable and I think you should mix it up. You can start by throwing a bomb on the first stock, but if you want to be REALLY creative, hurl the boomerang their head and spam to keep them back, but don't hit them. Why?

Throwing the boomerang directly at an opponent will cuase them to shield stopping it completely. However, if you throw the boomerange over their head then it'll eventually come back and hit them from behind. Either way, this forces their hand. If they shield, rush in with a grab. If they jump, approach using your Zair (practice this!). And if they take the hit, run in with Up Tilts - SAVE YOUR UP SMASH FOR KOS!

If you have to approach without projectiles, go with double bairs that end up with you BEHIND your opponent. Don't spotdodge or anything, just charge your DSmash to as low as possible while still being charged and Down Smash. Most people shield or Spotdodge, so the charge should throw them off. If that gets you punished, use Up B because it'll outlast a spotdodge. If they happen to be a shielder, mindgame than into a grab or combo.

Projectile usage was far better, but I'm not seeing you use the canceled bombs. You need to start hurling bombs using the cancel to gain distance for quick attacks. It works really well especially because you can toss the bomb and quickly follow.

Defensive advice would only be to learn to Double Arrow and Zair more effectively. Wolf's Bair shouldn't have got to you if you stayed spaced correctly, so if you Zair away approaching attacks you can play a safe range game and force them to move away. Double Arrow's uses are ridiculous, but I'm not sure if you can do it with Wifi and all.

Oh and a tip for recovery. You can use the bomb cancels to recover. Hurl the bomb away from the stage or toward it and use the boost to send you in the correct direction. You can also use this to turn around and then use a tether recovery and or up special.

That's all though. Much better this time, especially with making use of your projectiles and not just spamming them all willy-nilly.

~Do I seem like more of a Wolf or a Fox to you?~

OK excellence, I'm still online if you wanna play
I appologize for not getting around to playing you today, but you'll be top priority for play tomorrow.

On a side note, I'd just like to tell everyone to refuse to play Zeon's Bowser. That is all...

Barge

Wolf, again, hes an aggressive character, and I think that fits you more, plus I hate fox's upsmash.

Thanks for the advice, veryyyyy much. I'm still trying to cooperate zair into my game, but the timing is a bit weird for it. Ill try to do everything you said.
O:

LegionBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Getting 3stocked Over...And over and OVER
Fatmonice this is probably getting a bit annoying too you but could you switch me to marth? Even though he is in the metrosexual category which I highly disagree with! But could you please with sugar and cherrys and whatever you desire on top switch me to marth?

Wow im a suckup

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright. This time you were pretty good, but you've still got some issues. Let's talk about your approach first.

When you approach me you ALWAYS throw a bomb before you approach, that's increasingly predictable and I think you should mix it up. You can start by throwing a bomb on the first stock, but if you want to be REALLY creative, hurl the boomerang their head and spam to keep them back, but don't hit them. Why?

Throwing the boomerang directly at an opponent will cuase them to shield stopping it completely. However, if you throw the boomerange over their head then it'll eventually come back and hit them from behind. Either way, this forces their hand. If they shield, rush in with a grab. If they jump, approach using your Zair (practice this!). And if they take the hit, run in with Up Tilts - SAVE YOUR UP SMASH FOR KOS!

If you have to approach without projectiles, go with double bairs that end up with you BEHIND your opponent. Don't spotdodge or anything, just charge your DSmash to as low as possible while still being charged and Down Smash. Most people shield or Spotdodge, so the charge should throw them off. If that gets you punished, use Up B because it'll outlast a spotdodge. If they happen to be a shielder, mindgame than into a grab or combo.

Projectile usage was far better, but I'm not seeing you use the canceled bombs. You need to start hurling bombs using the cancel to gain distance for quick attacks. It works really well especially because you can toss the bomb and quickly follow.

Defensive advice would only be to learn to Double Arrow and Zair more effectively. Wolf's Bair shouldn't have got to you if you stayed spaced correctly, so if you Zair away approaching attacks you can play a safe range game and force them to move away. Double Arrow's uses are ridiculous, but I'm not sure if you can do it with Wifi and all.

Oh and a tip for recovery. You can use the bomb cancels to recover. Hurl the bomb away from the stage or toward it and use the boost to send you in the correct direction. You can also use this to turn around and then use a tether recovery and or up special.

That's all though. Much better this time, especially with making use of your projectiles and not just spamming them all willy-nilly.

While we're on the topic of Toon Link...

From what I've learned playing as Toon Link, the boomerang is best when you throw it at an angle because it limits your opponents options and makes their movements more predictible especially if you combine it with short hopped arrows. If they stay on the ground, they can shield (which allows for me to continue camping), they can roll back (same as before), they can roll forward (a movement that can easily be countered), spot dodge (same as first two), or they can jump (which basically forces them to air dodge to avoid the boomerang which can easily be countered). Being a good Toon Link is about being as big of a pest as possible and the boomerang definately aids with this when used right.

Rushing in with a grab is never a good idea with Toon Link. Missing a grab with Toon Link is like whiffing a Falcon Punch, it leaves you wide open long enough to even be hit with attacks as slow as Ike's Fsmash. A simple spot dodge can royally mess you up if you're not careful with his grab. Toon Link's grab was pretty much made for shield grabbing jabs and other lingering attacks like another Toon Link's fsmash. All in all, Toon Link's grab is situational and should be used carefully. Fthrow and bthrow make it very easy to follow up with more projectiles while his dthrow is definately his best throw because it can easily be followed up by bairs, nairs, and even Usmashes on bigger/heavier/fast falling opponents.

Toon Link's best approach is definately a short hopped nair: very quick, disjointed hit box on both sides, close to no landing lag, and can even be retreated close to the last second like Wario's fair. As Toon Link, approaching isn't really not that nessecary if you have a good control of the projectiles. The projectiles create openings which allow for Toon Link to go in, attack, and then run off to repeat the process. For example, the short amount of hit stun caused by arrows provide time for all sorts of things like a dash attack, ftilt, more projectiles, or a hyphen usmash. The great thing about the dash attack is that it has one of the highest trip rates in the game and can be followed up by a lot of stuff; the bad thing about it is that, like Adult Link's, it pretty much begs for you to be shield grabbed if your opponent shields it.

Toon Link's spin attack is very situational even more so than Link's because 1. it doesn't have the killing power of Link's, 2. leaves him even more open for a long period of time then a whiffed grab 3. it sucks your opponent into you even if they shield so they can easily counter in the ending frames of the attack and 4. the knockback is laughable even at higher percentages and usually sends your opponents diagonally up which can be easily be countered by anyone with a decent fair or bair.

Regarding Smash attacks, usmash is definately his best because it swings at an arc and can even hit people behind you plus it knocks most people far enough away if they shield it so you can't easily be shield grabbed. Like Excellence said, don't spam his smash attacks especially his fsmash but don't be afraid to use them either. If you use Toon Link's projectiles right, you shouldn't worry about your killing moves going stale too quickly. Don't forget that Toon Link's fair and bair are great killing moves too.

Overall, projectiles are your friends. Go into training mode and experiment different things you can do with them. Bombs, arrows, the boomerang... Toon Link's bread and butter. Using them right allows you to control the field by making your opponent more predictible. Like Diddy, learn to be a pest with them and how to follow up with them when the connect like what I mentioned earlier with the arrows. Like I said, just try different things. Throw bombs in the air, drop them while jumping, use different angles for the boomerang, etc.

Retreating nairs and zairs are great if you want to play defensively. They are especially good if people get inside your "bubble" of projectiles by using aerial dodges.

Uh, I think that covers everything. :laugh:

@ Excellence:

Yes, double arrows and "quickdraw" can be done online but the timing is slightly different.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I have the day off from work today so if anyone wants to play me, say so or send me a pm.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey, is there still room for me to sign up as Lucario?
Yeah there's still room in that category. I think you'd take the last spot.

@ Barge:

Recently, I decided to watch some videos of Santi and Vietgeek, two professional Toon Link's , and it seems that short hopped zairs are his best approach. I'm not sure how well these would work online though but I'll try to do some testing soon. If the zair hits, it can immediately be cancelled into another attack like fair or nair but if you miss you're left a little open. In the past, I've noticed it's hard to hit with in general simply because 1. how short the attack is and 2. how the hitbox in the little point at the end. If you're opponent shields it, it doesn't push them back at all so if you get too close, you're left kind of volunerable.

Top Bottom