• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FMOI and Glyph present War of the Roses. DABUZ IS THE CHAMP!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice's closing statement: I'd like to take this time to thank everyone who participated. How appropriate that one of the finalists was someone who mained the same character as Heartz did? Like my last two tournaments, a lot of talent players showed up once again and I'm sure the next tournament will be just as challenging. Details about my Halloween tournament will be posted by midnight so be sure to sign up. Again, thank you for all who participated in order to honor Heartz and hopefully, things will become easier for her in the future.

-Sincerely,

Fatmanonice

FINAL STANDINGS

1. dabuz (Olimar)
2. RoyalBlood (Zelda)
3. Glyph (ROB) and YoshiDiddy (Diddy) (both lost 0-2)

Fatmanonice and Glyph Present:
War of the Roses

Hello everyone. After hosting two very successful tournaments, I hosting another one but I'm not alone this time; Glyph, another Smash Director, will be co-hosting this tournament. This tournament is dedicated to Heartz, a tourney director who has hit a hard time in her life and has dropped both her internet and gaming life. Before she was laid off from her job, she and Kawaii Bunny tried to do a female character exclusive tournament but she canceled it due to the what I previous said. We then gave you the option of deciding which tournament you wanted and Option two (listed below) won in a absolute landslide.

Update 10/10: Courtesy of Glyph, the prize of this tournament will be a 2000 Wii points to us however you want! Missed out on Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars or Megaman 9 last time? Here's your chance to try to win them again.

Basic Tournament Summary:​

There will be 4 character categories. Each category will be a bracket and have 16 people. It's first come, first serve for each bracket so when spots fill up, you have to choose another one.

Update 10/1: Final vote counter:

Choice one-3
Choice two- 16
Choice three A-2
Choice three B- 1
Choice four A- 7
Choice four B-0
Choice five-0
Choice six- 7

Tournament Schedule.

The date of the tournament will be 10/18-19. The time schedule will be the following:

Round One: Sunday 10/12 : 12AM- Saturday 10/18 : 4PM
Round Two: Saturday 10/18 : 4:01PM- 7PM
Round Three: Saturday 10/18 : 7:01PM- 10PM.

The Quarter Finals-Finals will be held on Sunday but, depending on how smoothly things go, may start as early as Saturday.

Quarter Finals: Saturday 10/18 : 10:01PM- Sunday 10/19 : 4PM
Semi Finals: Sunday 10/19 : 4:01PM- 7PM
Finals: Sunday 10/19 : 7:01PM- 10Pm.

Because of my infinite benevolence, deadlines may be extended if multiple complications arise (especially in the later rounds).

Character Categories:

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/1: All the spots for the (Human) Men category have been taken.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/8: All spots for the (animal) male category have been taken.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/10: All spots for the female/metrosexual category have been taken.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/10: All spots for the Da boys and other category have been taken.

Women/metrosexuals:

Peach, Zelda, Shiek, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers (with Nana in front), Pit, Marth, and Jigglypuff.

(Human) Men:

Mario, Luigi, Wario, Link, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Olimar, Ike, and Snake.

(Animal) Males:

Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Lucario, and Sonic.

Da boys and other:

Toon Link, Pokemon Trainer, Ness, Lucas, ROB, Kirby, Metaknight, and Mr. Game and Watch.

Basic Rules​

1. 3 stock, no items, and no time limit.

2. You can only use the character you chose at the beginning of the tournament.

3. Only the legal stages are allowed. To make things interesting, each of the brackets will have 3 stages that are only legal in that bracket until the semi-finals. The list of legal stages will be listed later.

4. First stage is agreed on by both players. Loser picks the next stage.

5. Quitting, restarting the match, stalling for longer than 10 seconds (like with Mario's cape stalling or Jigglypuff's rising pound), and purposely SDing will lead to disqualification.

6. Chain grabs, spamming, suicides (like Ganondorf's and King Dedede’s) and locks are allowed. No johns about players who do any of these things excessively. It’s YOUR fault if you can’t get past them. Play to win. All of these are legitimate strategies and can be overcome. Personally, I’d recommend counterpicking stages if you really have a problem with them.

7. No pissing.

8. No moaning.

9. A combination of 7 and 8 will not be tolerated either.

10. After a set (best 2 out of 3 until the Finals which will be 3 out of 5), either player should report the results here.

Legal Stages

Stages legal for all brackets:

1. Battlefield
2. Final Destination
3. Delfino Plaza
4. Luigi's Mansion
5. Pirate Ship
6. Norfair
7. Frigate Orpheon
8. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
9. Halberd
10. Lylat Cruise
11. Pokemon Stadium 2
12. Castle Siege
13. Distant Planet
14. Smashville
15. Pictochat
16. Green Hill Zone
17. Yoshi's Island (Melee)
18. Rainbow Cruise
19. Green Greens
20. Brinstar
21. Jungle Japes
22. Pokemon Stadium One

Legal in the female/metro bracket:

1. Hanebow
2. Onett
3. Mario Circuit

Legal in the (human) men bracket:

1. Skyworld
2. Corneria
3. Port Town Aero Dive

Legal in the (animal) male bracket:

1. Hanebow
2. Skyworld
3. Port Town Aero Dive

Legal in the Da boys and other bracket:

1. Onett
2. Mario Circuit
3. Corneria

These stages will not be legal past the quarter finals. These stages are included because some characters in the particular brackets absolutely soar in these stages while they are also strong counters against some of the better characters in the game. Which ones, you ask? That's what research and counterpicking is for. Keep in mind that these are very strong counterpicks and can easily come back and bite you in the butt if you don't have the right strategy in mind. PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The Combatants​

THE FREAKIN' FINALS!

"YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT BIG NOSES" DABUZ
DEFEATS
"I KICKED THE CRAP OUT OF BOTH DIRECTORS" ROYALBLOOD

Semi-Finals

dabuz (Olimar) defeats yoshididdy (Diddy)

Royalblood (Zelda) defeats Glyph (ROB)

I'M SO MANLY BRACKET FOURTH ROUND MATCHUPS

(dabuz (Olimar) defeats Aryman (Snake))

I'M SO CUDDLY BRACKET FOURTH ROUND MATCHUPS

(Yoshididdy (Diddy) defeats Chaco (Wolf) who replaced Naucitos (Yoshi))

I'M SO PRETTY BRACKET FOURTH ROUND MATCHUPS

(Royalblood (Zelda) defeats Fatmanonice (Pit))

I'M SO ANNOYING BRACKET FOURTH ROUND MATCHUPS

(Glyph (ROB) defeats Daniel *Excellence's friend) (Mr. Game and Watch))

I'M SO MANLY BRACKET THIRD ROUND MATCHUPS

(dabuz (Olimar) defeats Olimarman (Olimar))

(Aryman (Snake) defeats SkylerOcon (Mario))

I'M SO CUDDLY BRACKET THIRD ROUND MATCHUPS

(Nauctios (Yoshi) defeats Chaco (Wolf))

(yoshididdy (Diddy) defeats Phoenixkaze (Sonic))

I'M SO PRETTY BRACKET THIRD ROUND MATCHUPS

(RoyalBlood (Zelda) defeats ~Peachy~ (Peach))

(Fatmanonice (Pit) defeats Mobious-1 (Marth))

I'M SO ANNOYING BRACKET THIRD ROUND MATCHUPS

( Excellence's friend (Mr. Game and Watch) defeats darkserenade (Toon Link))

(Glyph (ROB) defeats Barge (Toon Link))

I'M SO MANLY BRACKET SECOND ROUND MATCHUPS

(White Pikmin (Wario) is disqualified. Olimarman (Olimar) advances.)

(Peeup (Olimar) is disqualified. dabuz (Olimar) advances)

(ciov *mimic king's friend* (Olimar) is disqualified. SkylerOcon (Mario) advances)

(GFE (Snake) is disqualified. Aryman (Snake) advances)

I'M SO CUDDLY BRACKET SECOND ROUND MATCHUPS

(Chaco (Wolf) defeats Mmac (Yoshi))

(Soro (Lucario) is disqualified. Nauctios (Yoshi) advances.)

(PhoenixKaze (Sonic) defeats Sir Bevedere (Wolf))

(White Pikmin's older brother (Bowser) is disqualified. yoshididdy (Diddy) advances)

I'M SO PRETTY BRACKET SECOND ROUND MATCHUPS

XxBlazingSpeedxX (Samus) is disqualified. ~Peachy~ (Peach) advances.

(RoyalBlood (Zelda) defeats BlueTerrorist (Ice Climbers))

(Mobious-1(Marth) defeats ShinTobias (Peach) )

(Fatmanonice (Pit) defeats Samusbrawler (Peach))

I'M SO ANNOYING BRACKET SECOND ROUND MATCHUPS

(Patience (ROB) is disqualified. darkserenade (Toon Link))

(Excellence's friend (Mr. Game and Watch) defeats ROBIE69IE (Ness))

(Conor *mcmuffinman's brother* (Lucas) is disqualified. Glyph (ROB) advances)

(Barge (Toon Link) defeats Yoshi's Diddy brother (ROB))

I'M SO MANLY BRACKET FIRST ROUND MATCHUPS

(Zeonstar (Ganondorf) forfeits. White Pikmin (Wario) advances)

(agent snop (Link) forfeits. Olimarman (Olimar) advances.)

(Shadowfirex100 (Luigi) is disqualified. dabuz (Olimar) advances)

(Excellence (Olimar) forfeits. Peeup (Olimar) advances)

(Steel Dragon (Mario) forfeits. ciov *mimic king's friend* (Olimar) advances)

SkylerOcon (Mario) VS 4Serial (Link)

(Mcmuffinman (Olimar) is disqualified. Aryman (Snake) advances)

(dmholla38x (Ike) is disqualified. GFE (Snake) advances.)

I'M SO CUDDLY BRACKET FIRST ROUND MATCHUPS

(Mmac (Yoshi) defeats Halaster (Fox))

(Chaco (Wolf) defeats mimic king (King Dedede))

(King Yoshi (Falco) forfeits. Soro (Lucario) advances)

(cba (Lucario) is disqualified. Nauctios (Yoshi) advances)

(Sir Bevedere (Wolf) defeats Chris *Shadowfirex100's brother* (Bowser))

(PhoenixoKaZe (Sonic) is disqualified. ThatGuyYouMightKnow (Diddy) advances)

(astrokirby (Falco) is disqualified. White Pikmin's older brother (Bowser) advances.)

(Explodingman (Falco) is disqualfied. yoshididdy (Diddy) advances)

I'M SO PRETTY BRACKET FIRST ROUND MATCHUPS

(XxBlazingSpeedxX (Samus) defeats omis? (Marth))

(ProBrawler (Zelda/Shiek) forfeits. ~Peachy~ (Peach) advances)

(RoyalBlood (Zelda) Defeats Jigglyzelda003 (Jigglypuff))

(BlueTerrorist (Ice Climbers) defeats Legionbrawler (Marth))

(Hero Fly Chao (Ice Climbers) forfeits. Mobious-1(Marth) advances)

(ShinTobias (Peach) defeats S.O.L.I.D (Marth))

(Exia 00 (Shiek) is disqualified. Fatmanonice (Pit) advances)

(White Pikmin's brother (Marth) is disqualified. Samusbrawler (Peach) advances)

I'M SO ANNOYING BRACKET FIRST ROUND MATCHUPS

(??? (Ness) forfeits. Patience (ROB) advances)

(JOBOT (Mr. Game and Watch) is disqualified. darkserenade (Toon Link) advances)

(ROBIE69IE (Ness) defeats Salem (Toon Link))

(Excellence's friend (Mr. Game and Watch) defeats cheap_josh (Lucas))

(Glyph (ROB) defeats Shogun_Fox (Metaknight))

(Burrbomb (Kirby) is disqualfied. Conor *mcmuffinman's brother* (Lucas)advances)

(Barge (Toon Link) defeats Slithe (Metaknight))

(Yoshi's Diddy brother (ROB) defeats Kuji (Kirby))

Current character counter:

Female/metrosexual- 16/16
(human) male- 16/16
(animal) male- 16/16
Da boys and other- 16/16

If you sign up for this tournament, please, for the love of God, do your best to show up. Not being able to show up is one thing but not showing up with no explanation is very rude except in the most extreme situations (sudden death in the family, power outage, your internet connection suddenly goes to crap, etc). If you learn that you can't make it after signing up, please send me or Glyph a PM so we can make note of it and find a replacement for you.

FAQ

1. "What if my opponent doesn't show up?"

I will personally be sending a PM to everyone about a week before the tourney starts to let them know that they entered. If they still don't show up, you'll be the one that advances while they'll be disqualified IF you are here.

2. "I loathe Metaknight/Snake... Can't you just ban them?"

No, I can't because all characters are legal in this tournament and that would go against the nature of competitive smashing. If you really have a problem with these characters, pick carefully who you want to use and learn how to properly counterpick stages. It may still be a hard fight but making the right decisions will help lighten the load.

3. "My opponent *insert attack/tactic here* too much. Are you seriously going to allow it?"

Read rules 6-9. Play to win even if it means playing outlandishly gay to get the upper hand.

4. "There's a buttload of lag, what should I do?"

Play through it unless it's absolutely game stopping then the situation will be dealt with accordingly. It's one of the curses of online play, unfortunately. Play at your own risk.

5. "This is my first online tournament... I'm scared...hold me... what should I do?"

Do your best. The purpose of your first tournament is to evaluate your tactics/playstle and learn about the various people you'll be butting skulls with if you decide to join more in the future. Learn who they main and what they do. Don't be overly concerned about how high you place. To put it bluntly, if you expect to win your first tournament with ease than you're a moron. :psycho:

6. "If I don't make it to the quarter finals, does that mean I'm a failure at life?"

No; don't be overly concerned about how you place but, rather, who you beat. If you lose to someone you normally 3 stock on a regular basis, there's definately a problem. If you beat someone like Naucitos, Blue Terrorist, Mmac, Scimitar, ~Peachy~, Excellence, Chaco, Zeonstar, Aryman, *coughmecough*, etc, you should accept it as a pretty big accomplishment if you've never done so before. Trust me, people are going to care a lot more if you three stock someone like Zeonstar in the first round than if you don't even make to the quarter finals. Again, it's a learning experience so treat it as such.

7. "What's your next tournament going to be?"

It's going to be a Halloween themed tournament where everyone who makes it to the quarter finals will have to face their character's personal worst nightmare... Details will be posted once this tournament is over with.

8. *random question here*

BS statistic time: 95% of the questions commonly asked can be answered by reading the first post.

9. "How do I get in contact with my opponent?"

Like always, I'll be providing a chatroom to use during the tournament. Hopefully the Friend Finder will be up again soon and we can use that too. If, for some reason, you can't use either of these, simply use PMs.

10. "I have a friend/brother/sister/cousin/land lord/insurance agent who wants to play too; can they enter?"

Why yes; yes they can. If you are sharing the same Wii, simply make a note of it. Also be sure to tell me or Glyph which name they want to go by and which character they want to use.

The Signup deadline will be decided soon so be sure to check back if you don't want to sign up right now. If you want to sign up, simply leave your name and what character you'd like to play as. Like with Geno Bash and Electric Schuffle, you can change your character choices up until the day before the tournament but me and Glyph aren't psychic so be sure to post or PM us when/if you decide to change. Again, I hope everyone has a blast with this tournament.

Hero Fly Chao

Smash Cadet
Amazing. I'm signing up no matter what tourney style is played, but I say #3 with random partners captures my interest most; it still has the twist of female/metro while affording flexible teams and (best of all) getting to know and practice with a brawler you'd otherwise not team with.

You might want to stress the importance of being dedicated to signing up, though, since the last thing we need is a bunch of dropout partners in a team tourney.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
THE LAG MAN. THINK OF THE LAG. 4 people playing = bad news.

And there's no way everyone will show up. There will be lots of partner-less people on tourney day, guaranteed.

Just make it a singles tourney. And I don't see a poll.

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
i think 6 sounds the most interesting.... but al join regardles!!

4 also looks good, with it being random partners, but 6 is defo my vote!!!

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I’m at school right now, but I think we’re going to try to work out the rules tonight.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
THE LAG MAN. THINK OF THE LAG. 4 people playing = bad news.

And there's no way everyone will show up. There will be lots of partner-less people on tourney day, guaranteed.

Just make it a singles tourney. And I don't see a poll.
Because I'm not a prenium member, I can't make "real" polls. I provide 6 choices in the first post) 4 singles options and 4 doubles options. Regardless of the choice, I'm entering as one of the metrosexuals, Pit. :chuckle:

Halaster

Smash Ace
Just because it sounds painful my vote is for 6. My characters of preference are... Mario, Sonic, Falco, Fox, Marth... And I'll have to figure out who I would use from the 'Others' bracket later. I'd be signing up no matter what the tourney is unless you sign up as doubles rather than random doubles. If you sign up as pairs I might not enter... *unless I can cajole a friend of mine into joining*

If it is one of the options where you pick a character from one bracket that wins, I would prefer to claim Sonic from the animals bracket. *If it is possible to lay claims now.*

Steel_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
this 4. A Doubles tournament. There will be 4 categories. (See below poll options.) Each category will be a bracket and have 8-16 people. It's first come, first serve for each bracket so when spots fill up, you have to choose another one. Both characters have to be in the same category but the same character can't be used twice on the same team. (Yeah, I know a ton of you wanted to do Snake/Snake and Metaknight/Metaknight.) Like with the previous choice:

b. random partner

im in for this as well i call dibs for captian falcon

*EDIT* instead of option a i choose b

GFE

Smash Journeyman
ill join no matter what singles or doubles human(snake) might have a partner CBA
ill sighn up 4 all 1-6 catagories if itz posible
im like online most of the time so itz nothin to me like 16/24 hrs

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
6 for sure, i want my boys(and girls) olimar(i call dibs for him), ice climbers or samus, ddd or sonic, and kirby if we get optin # 6 as tourney

cba

Smash Master
i feel so dumb.....
i like category #2. but i dont understand it very much. could anyone break it down for me.
also i would like enter as lucario
EDIT: yo i just noticed #6, i would like that ^.^ sounds like more fun

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I Vote For #2

I'm confused, is there only one person per character? Why are people calling dibs?? I want to play Snake dangit.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Holy crud, your tournaments make you fight with two hands tied behind your back. =0

2. There will be 2 categories. (See below poll options.) Each category will be a bracket and have 8-16 people. It's first come, first serve for each bracket so when spots fill up, you have to choose another one.
This.
Character Categories:
Women:

Peach, Zelda, Shiek, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers (with Nana in front),
Pit,
Marth, and Jigglypuff.

(Human) Men:

Mario, Luigi, Wario, Link, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Olimar, Ike, and Snake.

(Animal) Males:

Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachur, Lucario, and Sonic.

Da boys and other:

Toon Link, Pokemon Trainer, Ness, Lucas, ROB, Kirby, Metaknight, and Mr. Game and Watch.
Fix'd. This is what my vote's for, and how I imagined it to look.

Not trying to offend you or anything, but after the last tournament it looked like you had enough trouble with people dropping out. I couldn't imagine what that would do to a 2v2. And like Aryman stated, the lag would be a sight to behold. Remember that video of Hentekorino vs Myself? That was just a 1v1. XD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I Vote For #2

I'm confused, is there only one person per character? Why are people calling dibs?? I want to play Snake dangit.
No but only 8-16 people will be able to sign up for a particular category. For example, only 8 people can choose someone from the (Human) male category, after that, everyone else will have to pick one from another category. Okay, it's like this:

1. Squeeky (Mario)
2. Potatoguy (Wario)
3. Bill Clinton (Ike)
4. Peter Griffin's toothbrush (Luigi)
5. Slappy Mcslapperton (Captain Falcon)
6. Mike Rotch (Olimar)
7. Dr. Sillypants (Snake)
8. Helen Keller (Luigi)

"La-de-da, I'm Fatmanonice and I'd like to sign up as Mario!"
"Go suck a railroad spike, the (human) male category is already filled up."
"Can't you make an exception? I am running the tournament, you know."
"No, go die in a fire."

Get the idea?

@ Smash:

I'm allowing every character this time because of complaints of character limitations in my past two tournaments. I'll go back to my annoying ways in two more tournaments. (I already have a Halloween themed tournament in mind.)

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Question about #2. Do the 4 winners(1 from each category) face each other at the end? Or will there be 4 winners for this tourney?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Question about #2. Do the 4 winners(1 from each category) face each other at the end? Or will there be 4 winners for this tourney?
Yes. The winners of the other bracket will fight each other in the semi finals and finals. Which bracket fights who hasn't been decided yet but it'll work like it did in Electric Schuffle.

Add in:

Every bracket also contains at least one high ranking high tier character in order to balance the brackets so that one won't have a huge advantage over another.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
neither of you too can call dibs on oliman cause i called dibs on him before all of yall
Yes, they can. You're calling character spots for the categories. See the character counter in the first post to see what I'm talking about. Forcing only one person to play a particular character would absolutely destroy the balance of the tournament.

King~

Smash Champion
i dont care what tournament

im callin Falco since noone has yet(also Shiek, and pika)

and if its doubles ill need a partner

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Well I want to join. I have no idea what all category/choice stuff is about (epic reading comprehension fail) but I want to practice my Luigi or Kirby.

I'm up for doubles or singles, whatever yall decide on... or wherever I can fit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
OK then what is the difference between 2/5/6?
2. There will be 4 categories. (See below poll options.) Each category will be a bracket and have 8-16 people. It's first come, first serve for each bracket so when spots fill up, you have to choose another one.

In this option, there will be 4 categories: women/metro, human men, male animals, and da boys/other. People who join will be put in a bracket based on the character they pick. If you choose Mario, for example, you'll be in the human men bracket and have to fight others who picked characters in this category. The winner of the bracket will fight the winner of another bracket in the semifinals and finals.

5. Brackets will be mixed but only 8-16 will be allowed to choose characters from each of the four categories. Again, it will be first come, first serve.

In this option, there will still be four categories but they will be mixed meaning that people will fight each other regardless of the category of their character. For example, Mario vs Peach or DK vs Ness might be a sample from one of the brackets.

6. Pick your poison. You have to use a character from a different category every round and you have to use a character from each category at least once. Keep in mind that there are four categories and there will be a 5-6 rounds. This will easily be the most challenging of the choices.

In this option, you pick one character from each category. In order to win the tournament, you have to use them at least once but you get to choose which category you represent in each round. For example, I play as Mario in the first round, win, and then choose to play as Pit in the second, Falco in the third, and Lucas in the fourth (If I make it that far).

Do you understand now?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'd like to claim ROB.

If ROB ends up being unavailable, I'd like to claim Wario.

Halaster

Smash Ace
I think this is true, but just for clarification. With #6 when you pick a character you play that character for the entire set, right? Not just the match, the whole set, right?

Top Bottom