• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I'm going to avoid a long explanation, and save it for my thread that will include it in it >.>

Basically if a pikmin is next to be used for an attack, whether it is in line or not and is in the "hurt" animation before olimar uses his smash, the pikmin will be used in the smash from wherever he is. I'll be doing more research on it during the week and hope to have a thread up before long, so there can be a well explained explanation for it.
Weird. Makes me want to do tons of useless Pikmin mindgames now.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to avoid a long explanation, and save it for my thread that will include it in it >.>

Basically if a pikmin is next to be used for an attack, whether it is in line or not and is in the "hurt" animation before olimar uses his smash, the pikmin will be used in the smash from wherever he is. I'll be doing more research on it during the week and hope to have a thread up before long, so there can be a well explained explanation for it.
More importantly, do pikmin even have genders? I'm asking this because I noticed that everyone call them "he/him" and assuming that everyone is right when they all could be wrong is my reason for not believing them.

I know that this has nothing to do with anything but throughout my Pikmin 1 and 2 days as well as my brawl days, I've always wondered that for the longest time. I myself refer to pikmin as "them" or "they" due to multiple and varying factors.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
The games and Nintendo don't really say that they have a gender. I always refer to them as "they" or "them". You can't really say that they have genders.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Well, plants are often genderless, so I'd assume that to be the case here, considering their flower parts appear to be exactly the same on each.

Pleather

Smash Cadet
Now I know this won't help anyone on the olimar boards at all, if anything, it's deleterious, but I'll ask all the same, because I have nowhere better. Anyways, I finally found the way to break out of a DK cargo grab early, after seeing it referenced everywhere, but without an explanation. (Ironically, I just did that. :D) I was recently playing a friend, and he would randomly break out my grabs early. I mentioned this, and he said something about a way to break out of olimar's grabs early. I couldn't find anything about this using google, or the search feature on SWF, but then again, that was practically the same situation with the DK cargo grab break, so I figured I'd ask just to make sure.

So, in summary, is there any way to break out of olimar's grabs early? (Possibly like the DK cargo grab break.)

Pleather

Smash Cadet
It's called mash buttons, you should try it sometime. It does good things.
Haha, I know the normal way (Rotate the control stick and possibly mash A?), but he was getting out practically instantaneously, at moderate percents. But judging by your response, I'd guess there's no specific technique, thanks.

Snail

Smash Lord
Haha, I know the normal way (Rotate the control stick and possibly mash A?), but he was getting out practically instantaneously, at moderate percents. But judging by your response, I'd guess there's no specific technique, thanks.
This seems to happen most often when you grab with purples... Olimar's grab is easier to escape because your opponent can already start effectively mashing buttons when the pikmin grabs on to them, while you're not able to throw yet. Purples seem especially easy to escape although I have no idea why this is the case...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, the purples move back to olimar slower which gives the opponent more time to break out since olimar cant throw them until the pikmin is all the way back. I'm pretty sure that this is the reason this happens, but I may do some frame testing today to figure it out.

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
More importantly, do pikmin even have genders? I'm asking this because I noticed that everyone call them "he/him" and assuming that everyone is right when they all could be wrong is my reason for not believing them.

I know that this has nothing to do with anything but throughout my Pikmin 1 and 2 days as well as my brawl days, I've always wondered that for the longest time. I myself refer to pikmin as "them" or "they" due to multiple and varying factors.
yellow and purple pikmin are female

red blue white are male

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Camping for olimar is doing whatever necessary to keep your opponent the hell away from you.

Forcing an approach and then stopping said approach. It's most often done with latch, for olimar, but throwing out retreating grabs can also be considered camping. I consider fsmash more of a spacing attack though.

It's kind of a vague question though and i'm sure one of the other olimar mains can explain it better than me. >.>

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I did some testing on the "breaking out of of grabs early"

Depending on how far olimar is from the opponent with a purple pikmin (due to the pikmin having to return back to olimar), olimar will be able to throw the opponent between 14 and 29 frames after the pikmin connectes with the opponent. With perfect button mashing the earliest a person can break out of a grab is a minimum of 20 frames from being grabbed. So due to this, it's highly possible to break from a grab up to 9 frames in advance. I'll probably do more on it but the important part is now out of the way.

Sorry for the double post >.>
forgot I already made one a little while ago.
Dont infract me sudai plz <3

IrisKong

Smash Lord
What would be the best combo to end with a pikmin chain? I usually just Dthrow mutiple times into either Usmash/Dsmash/Utilt, I cant find the right way to end with a chain, is is my spacing or is it that im doing the wrong move to follow up with a chain...?

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
What would be the best combo to end with a pikmin chain? I usually just Dthrow mutiple times into either Usmash/Dsmash/Utilt, I cant find the right way to end with a chain, is it my spacing or is it that im doing the wrong move to follow up with a chain...?
I don't know about the dthrow into Dsmash/Utilt, but upsmash is a good move to after dthrow.

As for the pikmin chain, its a situational move that can only be used in certain combos at certain times. Like for example, after you used dthrow>upsmash you could use uair>pikmin chain(you may have to jump in between this) or uair>double jump>uair>chain. The point of it is just to use uair followed by a the chain/another uair on an aerial opponent, if I'm wrong about this then correct me.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I don't know about the dthrow into Dsmash/Utilt, but upsmash is a good move to after dthrow.

As for the pikmin chain, its a situational move that can only be used in certain combos at certain times. Like for example, after you used dthrow>upsmash you could use uair>pikmin chain(you may have to jump in between this) or uair>double jump>uair>chain. The point of it is just to use uair followed by a the chain/another uair on an aerial opponent, if I'm wrong about this then correct me.
When I Uair, it seems to pop them up more so than in the line of fire for a chain, bt ill give it a shot.

Snail

Smash Lord
Nair sometimes works better if you're setting up for the Pikmin Chain because it has a bit more diagonal knockback than Uair does, but even then it's an easily escapable combo. I just use UpB as a surprise move once in a while, not often as a combo finisher unless I'm certain it will hit.

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
I've had this happen to me a few times... Sometimes when I send out a grab, I either get hit or grabbed out of it. This is not so unusual except for the fact that it happens from longer range. Basically the pikmin goes out for the grab, and a character, lets say Lucario in this case is just barely in range of the grab, and he does a grab as the pikmin is trucking at him. I GET GRABBED!? Does this ever happen to you guys? Is this just a case of controller ports? Does Olimar's getgrabbedbox™ extend with the pikmin?

edit: Just to clarify, the Lucario in this example is out of his normal grab range.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Nair sometimes works better if you're setting up for the Pikmin Chain because it has a bit more diagonal knockback than Uair does, but even then it's an easily escapable combo. I just use UpB as a surprise move once in a while, not often as a combo finisher unless I'm certain it will hit.
QFT. If you're playing someone who is familiar with olimar, they'll probably even know to dodge when you're at that angle with them. The primary follow-ups to dthrow are usmash, fair, or another dthrow, depending on their percent. If you do usmash, at a low percent, after a dthrow, go for an uair, it should probably connect. That's about 40% alone. From there, read their movements and make your next decision based on that. You can go for another uair immediately after the first if they're a fastfaller perhaps. Or you could fastfall yourself and get to an advantageous position to avoid the possibility of being beaten in the air, as many characters can do. To sum it up, it's just about reading their movements.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I've had this happen to me a few times... Sometimes when I send out a grab, I either get hit or grabbed out of it. This is not so unusual except for the fact that it happens from longer range. Basically the pikmin goes out for the grab, and a character, lets say Lucario in this case is just barely in range of the grab, and he does a grab as the pikmin is trucking at him. I GET GRABBED!? Does this ever happen to you guys? Is this just a case of controller ports? Does Olimar's getgrabbedbox™ extend with the pikmin?

edit: Just to clarify, the Lucario in this example is out of his normal grab range.
Lucario is out of his grab range? Lucario has some massive grab range (it's the ears!), so maybe it's something Lucario just does. Has it occured with other characters?

I haven't experienced this. As far as I know, pikmin boxes and olimar boxes are completely distinct.

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
Lucario is out of his grab range? Lucario has some massive grab range (it's the ears!), so maybe it's something Lucario just does. Has it occured with other characters?

I haven't experienced this. As far as I know, pikmin boxes and olimar boxes are completely distinct.
It has happened with other characters, Mario, Marth, Link, and Zelda. It just happens most often on Lucario.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
There's also the fact that you can start breaking out of Olimar's grab before he is ready to grab, or even before you get grabs(using the buffering system) it's how people like m2K and Reflex get out of grabs so fast.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Do you guys have a "x move with y pikmin kills at z % on a character" thread?

I know it's a TON of testing but I think finding a rough % of when you can usmash to KO someone would be helpful to know.

(and have iPhone notes of. rofl)

Fino

Smash Master
In case you havent found it yet, SuSa, Master Knight's chart was put into this thread :D

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/ArcticNorris/Final_Fantasy_IX_-_Vivi-1.gif
I think you posted the wrong link...

If I may point you in the correct direction, I believe a ko% chart is somewhere linked in KYAS guide to pikmin, though I haven't issued it in my deflowered guide yet.

There is an actual chart in the thread, and then there's a link in there to the ko%'s later on (last I checked)

~Fino

Top Bottom