• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Fino

Smash Master
Per-request... I guess I'll run the Q&A thread.

If you have questions like "how to you beat snake" I will not answer them. We have a match-up discussion thread for this. However, if you ask a question such as "how do you beat out snakes grenade camp" then I will help.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172222 - match-up discussion thread

I'll start with a couple basics:

My pikmin stopped working
Or...
My pikmin randomly stopped listening to me
Or...
OMG PIKMINZ HAX!!!
wtf? help pl0x
This is known as the Ghost Pikmin glitch. Basically there is a "blank spot" so to speak where a pikmin is supposed to be, but actually isn't. Because of this you can't shuffle through your pikmin, but be stuck doing blank verse moves.
Known causes: delfino seems to be the to cause these shenanigans the most; however, in my own experience I've noticed that dropping off the ledge jumping and FF'ing a fair back onto the ledge can sometimes cause it (tested).
Ways to stop the glitch: there are various solutions such as whistling or using your tether that have worked in the past, though whistling does not always work. For me I find once I tether, the glitch seems to end and I can use my pikmin again

What is WAC?
Stand for Whistle Armor Cancel. Though it's not really canceling anything, us playful olimars like to wac things because we're pro :D

i heard of something called SGC?
:D
explain?
SGC stands for Shy-Guy Cancelling, and it's perhaps the most ingenious AT ever discovered for olimar. It's quite possibly the reason why SBR moved him up 8 spots on the tier list! It's the game changing, mind blowing thing we've all been anticipating since brawls release. I can't even begin to describe it other than just show a tutorial vid of how to do it:
SGC REVEALED!

How does pikmin grabbing work? (See:pikminicide)
Olimar's grab in kinda funky - he is the only character in the game without grab armor. This odd bit is because when olimar grabs he sends out a pikmin instead of grabbing himself. During the grab animation, the grab armor actually goes to the pikmin instead of olimar, which really sucks... why do they need it sakurai? Ironically... I believe the pikmin also receive the faux super armor determined by controller ports.

At any rate, with the whole grabbing thing you can pikmincide (as shown 2:17 in my combo vid teaser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2acTjMigg). Pikmincide can be done on falling blocks on RC, castle siege (stage transition), delfino, and so on. Why these places though? When you grab someone with olimar, the pikmin remain completely independent of olimar. While olimar is a character, all basic physics of the game apply to him; however, not for the pikmin. For instance on pictochat when the wind blows and you grab someone, the pikmin will stay grabbing in the spot while you slide away due to the wind. With this you can pull off a f/bthrow to usmash combo. This also means that when you grab someone, olimar standing on the stage and you opponent on the falling block, the weight of your opponent will still trigger the falling block to fall, but your pikmin will continue to hold them as they fall while you stay safe.

Basic combo?
dthrow - fair - re-grab
nair - usmash
nair - dsmash (if they don't DI up)
*for these you have to land on the ground before your nair finishes
uair - pikminchain
dtilt (until it looks like they can get out) - utilt
dthrow - fsmash - re-grab
dthrow - usmash - uair

What's olimar's best way of racking up damage?
Grab combos. Throwing pikmin. Even if they swat them off still throw them to add pressure. Besides, you can pluck 6 in the time they can kill one. I personally use smashes for spacing, and they are good damage rackers. Pop them up in the air with a grab and then juggle them with uairs and what not.

What are olimar's best CP stage?
Corneria and Luigi's are easily his best counter pick stages, though even neutrals such as battlefield are great. Olimar thrives on platforms, or at least mine does. If you like to camp then FD i supposed, but I personally will strike FD first for the neutral.
When counterpicking you should keep the character you're fighting in mind as well. I remember way back taking a G&W to corneria and then regretting it. I still one, but two buckets to the face was not pleasant.
Also, think about which pikmin **** the character you're fighting. I recommend you look at hilt's chart and learn at least 1 stage for each pikmin color. For instance, purples and yellows are good against marth, which is why I CP marth's to frigate - even though frigate has this ora around it of a bad oli stage I usually two stock marths there.

What's the best way to edgeguard?
Fsmashes work well. Only go off edge if you're comfortable or know what your opponent is going to do. Throwing pikmin off stage and latching your opponent adds a lot of pressure. I notice people aim to get to the ledge as fast as possible when they have pikmin on them - use this opportunity for a spike / gimp. Throwing pikmin can also completely gimp characters like ness and ike (forward B), so it doesn't hurt to try it out. Tether ledgeguarding is good, just make sure you don't get hit.

]I was wondering, which of Oli's aerials is best for momentum canceling?
Uair

How does Olimars down b work? Other than WAC I mean, like, is there a specific order it will switch your pokemon? Or is it totally random?
Whistling re-arranges your pikmin. The hierarchy follows R-Y-B-W-P. This means the first time you whistle your pikmin will arrange themselves in that order. The next time you whistle it will be Y-B-W-P-R so it shuffles every time you use it. Say you whistle the first time and you don't have reds, it will put yellows first in line, and skip reds turn. This pattern lasts even if you die, so don't think that if you lose a life, your next whistle will start red again.

I've watched quite a few Olimar mains and I've never seen anybody doing a pluck cancel (I don't know if it has a common name). It always works as a great mindgame for me to be working with no Pikmin and suddenly pulling a Pikmin and using him in a Fsmash all in one motion, or just keeping my Pikmin numbers up while maintining pressure. So why doesn't anybody else use this?
I know that blackwaltz does, I've seen dabuz do it a couple times... but for the most part, it's kinda situational and something you really have to think about (for me anyways). After playing oliamr from near the beginning we've gotten used to the mindset of hit them away and then pluck rather than pluck and hit them. It's good for a suprise, but you shouldn't always do this imo. The best time to use this is at spawn.
And yes, the common name for it is "pluck cancel"

Have Pikmin been known to de-sync smashes with anything other than Usmash? <<"
Awhile ago, someone showed a vid of what looked like a desynced fsmash; however, the vid was very poor quality and no one else has done it yet.

I can't find it other than a reference to the chart in this thread's OP.

Does stage really affect the colour Oli is most likely to pluck?
Yes, here is the stickied thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212786

Hey Fino, I started using jabs out of shield to get people out of my face. Ive found it surprisingly effective, but it's always sort of a toss up between up-tilting or jabbing OoS, any thoughts?
OoS you have many options, one of my personal favorites is kinda scrubish, but I used to main rob so it's a bad habbit. Spot dodge to dsmash is oddly effective until people get used to it.
There are some situations in when you want to get people out of your face, if you need to pluck pikmin or re-control your spacing (playing defensively) you should jab. If you want to go from defense to offense, I would dtilt to set up for an usmash or uair.
Utilt imo should be used for people who run up and spot dodge or just in various situations where priority is a must and you're limited on options.

Knowing when to use olimar's tilts can be difficult. One method to kind of figure out is go into a friendly with the mind set that you're going to utilt a lot or dtilt a lot. See what works and soon it will become natural

would a red pikmin or blue pikmin work better for a spike or does it not even matter which one you use for a spike
In terms of spiking, or in terms of getting the ko?
In terms of spiking (from personal experience): Yellow = White > Red => Purple >(little)> blue
I say from personal experience, because everytime I've dair'd with a white, it has spiked. This has led me to believe that the hitbox on a white dair is almost all sweet spot. Yellows have the biggest sweet spot (due to the biggest hitbox). I'm not sure whether reds or better than purples or are equal, but blues aren't too far behind.
I could be wrong... so I won't add this to the OP.

In terms of getting the KO: red > blue = purple > yellow > white.

Any Questions?

~Fino

Fino

Smash Master
i heard of something called SGC?

:D

explain?

btw you work fast fino
SGC stands for Shy-Guy Cancelling, and it's perhaps the most ingenious AT ever discovered for olimar. It's quite possibly the reason why SBR moved him up 8 spots on the tier list! It's the game changing, mind blowing thing we've all been anticipating since brawls release. I can't even begin to describe it other than just show a tutorial vid of how to do it:
SGC REVEALED!

And thanks! Fino does work ^^;

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah, i expected that fino. Figured i'd click it JUST IN CASE >.>

tempted to make an instructional video on how to perform the semi-infinite

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I have a question. Since I was born I've had this weirdly shaped growth between my legs. Its relatively big, about maybe 10-12 inches, and when I touch it, it actually feels good as opposed to pain and I've been too afraid to ask my parents about it. Anyone wanna help me out with this one? I'm starting to get worried...

Llumys

Smash Champion
I have a question. Since I was born I've had this weirdly shaped growth between my legs. Its relatively big, about maybe 10-12 inches, and when I touch it, it actually feels good as opposed to pain and I've been too afraid to ask my parents about it. Anyone wanna help me out with this one? I'm starting to get worried...

That's ****ed up! I had mine removed at birth...

Fino

Smash Master
It's natural... don't worry about it ;)
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/Smashfino/Picture1-3.png
I will not add this to the OP >_>

~Fino

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
How does Pikmin AoE work?
-
-
Basic combo?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Can someone make some pics that highlight the hitbox of oli's moves? The smashes especially. This would give a better understanding of his moves in general, and may help spacing more.

DZLE

Smash Master
yeah, i expected that fino. Figured i'd click it JUST IN CASE >.>

tempted to make an instructional video on how to perform the semi-infinite
Haha totally, I have the perfect Idea for making an SGC video ! as a joke, of course, but I have no recording or editing devices.

K 2

Smash Lord
-What's olimar's best way of racking up damage? I find myself using smashes more often than I should to rack up damage. I use grab combos up until 50% or so, but after that, I find it hard to rack up damage. My opponents kill my pikman after they only do one hit or so, and my aerials often get out prioritized by my opponent (marth/ike).

-What are olimar's best CP stage? I often use Corneria and Norfair, but are there other good olimar stages?

-What's the best way to edgeguard? Fair/dair, or pikman throw?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
-Around the 50% area where combos stop, this is a good time to play very defensively and go for a lot of pivot grabs. They may be like "omgwtfbbq I have a lot more % than you", so you can bet that they're going to get very offensive.

-Any walk off stage is good, since there is no gimping, but those are usually banned. Norfair is reliable, and Corneria is also very good, but it's banned sometimes. Luigi's mansion is amazing for oli, but it is also usually banned. Yoshi's Island (pipes) and Snake's level are wtf broken for oli, but you will rarely see those legal, if ever. For neutrals, lylat is probably the best, although it is often a cp, otherwise probably choose between bf and fd, depending on the matchup. Otherwise, personal favorites come into play, so you may just play better on some levels than you do on others.

-F-smashes are good for edgeguarding, since the hitbox lingers as they fall. Dair and fair are riskier, since they are easy to see and predict. Drop down to tether is good for either edgehogging in general, or stage spiking. Up b can also be used for edge guarding if they're up high and don't see it coming. It's often better to not even try to edgeguard people offstage, just because it can be turned around and you'll be killed instead pretty easily.

(btw, it's pikmin, not pikman :p)

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Dyyne,you forgot RC,but you need to learn how to use it,someone here should write a guide.
I didn't forget it. I had that in mind when I was talking about personal preferences. Every stage depends on the person using it. I didn't want to put bias into it, since I've always liked RC, but when I talked about its pluses, and then Fino later started liking it as well and he made his thread about what's good about it, most people still seemed to be against it, but I don't know if most olis still don't like it.

Fusion_Blastoise

Smash Cadet
Umm Ok. I'm kinda new here but do main Olimar.

I was wondering, which of Oli's aerials is best for momentum canceling?

asob4

Smash Champion
lmao <3 andy

i always end up fairing or dairing, just cause i'm so used to DI'ing the actual direction

Tero.

Smash Champion
I sometimes use fair/dair out of habbit, but uair is the best,

It's understandable that the Sonic boards spam.

It's not there's anything constructive you can talk about in the subject of Sonic. <<;
lol true dat.

Fino

Smash Master
Olimar's grab in kinda funky - he is the only character in the game without grab armor. This odd bit is because when olimar grabs he sends out a pikmin instead of grabbing himself. During the grab animation, the grab armor actually goes to the pikmin instead of olimar, which really sucks... why do they need it sakurai? Ironically... I believe the pikmin also receive the faux super armor determined by controller ports.

At any rate, with the whole grabbing thing you can pikmincide (as shown 2:17 in my combo vid teaser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2acTjMigg). Pikmincide can be done on falling blocks on RC, castle siege (stage transition), delfino, and so on. Why these places though? When you grab someone with olimar, the pikmin remain completely independent of olimar. While olimar is a character, all basic physics of the game apply to him; however, not for the pikmin. For instance on pictochat when the wind blows and you grab someone, the pikmin will stay grabbing in the spot while you slide away due to the wind. With this you can pull off a f/bthrow to usmash combo. This also means that when you grab someone, olimar standing on the stage and you opponent on the falling block, the weight of your opponent will still trigger the falling block to fall, but your pikmin will continue to hold them as they fall while you stay safe.

Basic combo?
dthrow - fair - re-grab
nair - usmash
nair - dsmash (if they don't DI up)
*for these you have to land on the ground before your nair finishes
uair - pikminchain
dtilt (until it looks like they can get out) - utilt
dthrow - fsmash - re-grab
dthrow - usmash - uair

What's olimar's best way of racking up damage?
Grab combos. Throwing pikmin. Even if they swat them off still throw them to add pressure. Besides, you can pluck 6 in the time they can kill one. I personally use smashes for spacing, and they are good damage rackers. Pop them up in the air with a grab and then juggle them with uairs and what not.

What are olimar's best CP stage?
Corneria and Luigi's are easily his best counter pick stages, though even neutrals such as battlefield are great. Olimar thrives on platforms, or at least mine does. If you like to camp then FD i supposed, but I personally will strike FD first for the neutral.
When counterpicking you should keep the character you're fighting in mind as well. I remember way back taking a G&W to corneria and then regretting it. I still one, but two buckets to the face was not pleasant.
Also, think about which pikmin **** the character you're fighting. I recommend you look at hilt's chart and learn at least 1 stage for each pikmin color. For instance, purples and yellows are good against marth, which is why I CP marth's to frigate - even though frigate has this ora around it of a bad oli stage I usually two stock marths there.

What's the best way to edgeguard?
Fsmashes work well. Only go off edge if you're comfortable or know what your opponent is going to do. Throwing pikmin off stage and latching your opponent adds a lot of pressure. I notice people aim to get to the ledge as fast as possible when they have pikmin on them - use this opportunity for a spike / gimp. Throwing pikmin can also completely gimp characters like ness and ike (forward B), so it doesn't hurt to try it out. Tether ledgeguarding is good, just make sure you don't get hit.

]I was wondering, which of Oli's aerials is best for momentum canceling?
Uair

~Fino

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Fino, nice Sig. I got a Doubles question. After looking over the month-old Doubles thread, I noticed they didn't mention anything about Ness as Oli's partner in Dubs.

So, in your opinion, do you think Ness would be a good Doubles partner for Olimar?

(Lets just forget for a second he can gimp his recovery with yellow pikmin.)

Fino

Smash Master
Fino, nice Sig. I got a Doubles question. After looking over the month-old Doubles thread, I noticed they didn't mention anything about Ness as Oli's partner in Dubs.

So, in your opinion, do you think Ness would be a good Doubles partner for Olimar?

(Lets just forget for a second he can gimp his recovery with yellow pikmin.)
Mmmm, I honestly don't know. There's a ness main in my area, I'll try it out next time I see him. Even if ness is a good teammate for olimar, olimar isn't a good teammate for ness... if that makes any sense. Ness will want someone who can heal him like zelda or pikachu. I'll still try it out though ^_^

~Fino

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace

Mmmm, I honestly don't know. There's a ness main in my area, I'll try it out next time I see him. Even if ness is a good teammate for olimar, olimar isn't a good teammate for ness... if that makes any sense. Ness will want someone who can heal him like zelda or pikachu. I'll still try it out though ^_^

~Fino
Thanks man. Oh, and it seems youve become quite the accomplished smasher. I remember all those months ago when I used to use Bowser and we were supposed to have a match. Quess you stuck with smash. Good for you!:)

PS: Its Sodapop

PikminEater

Smash Cadet
This thread is a godsend. I <3 you all.

But I was wondering how exactly the retreating Pikmin toss is done? It's so beastly in the videos I've seen, but I have extreme difficulty pulling it off.

Top Bottom