• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

K 2

Smash Lord
I love the title for this Q&A thread, Fino. Also, thanks for answering my questions.

DZLE

Smash Master
How does Olimars down b work? Other than WAC I mean, like, is there a specific order it will switch your pokemon? Or is it totally random?

Rocann

Smash Lord
there is an order of red, yellow, blue, white, purple

the first time you whistle it tries to put them in that order, and the pikmin color that goes to the front will be "remembered" and if you don't have any reds, it will try to put yellows up front, etc.

so if you whistle the first time, but have no reds, but have a yellow, it will put yellow in front and the rest arranged in that order and "remember" that the last time you whistled it went to yellow

the next time you whistle, it will try to put the next color in front, in this case blue

the memory lasts even through death, and the only real application of this is if you whistle til a white comes in front, then don't whistle again, next time you are recovering if you whistle once, any purples you have will come to the front to be thrown

DZLE

Smash Master
there is an order of red, yellow, blue, white, purple

the first time you whistle it tries to put them in that order, and the pikmin color that goes to the front will be "remembered" and if you don't have any reds, it will try to put yellows up front, etc.

so if you whistle the first time, but have no reds, but have a yellow, it will put yellow in front and the rest arranged in that order and "remember" that the last time you whistled it went to yellow

the next time you whistle, it will try to put the next color in front, in this case blue

the memory lasts even through death, and the only real application of this is if you whistle til a white comes in front, then don't whistle again, next time you are recovering if you whistle once, any purples you have will come to the front to be thrown
Wowowow, I had no idea it was that technical,
Bravo, Rocann, you increase my Oli-knowledge yet again :D

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

Fino

Smash Master
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.
We have one, but we're never on...
I went ahead and link it ;)

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If no one else wants to I could for you.(are you serious?)
I don't feel like updating the tips/review section of the matchup thread anymore... Unless you guys don't care about the tips. It seems like most of you guys are already up-to-date about the matchups and such. Noobies and new Oli players can just ask questions in this Q&A thread if they have trouble with anything. Simply put, updating the matchup thread is a lost cause if no-one ever reads it.

I might end up just posting a very small review of each matchup and a matchup ratio, and if people have questions about a matchup, they can just ask.

I don't know. What do y'all think?

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
Well,it would be better to have a in-depth one to be honest,it can help alot of people out,and can help people who play olimar,If we use there therads we should let em' use ours.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are Olimar's good and bad stages? I found a thread on this, but it isn't 100% complete. Also, some reasons why would be helpful too if that doesn't bother anyone.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I've watched quite a few Olimar mains and I've never seen anybody doing a pluck cancel (I don't know if it has a common name). It always works as a great mindgame for me to be working with no Pikmin and suddenly pulling a Pikmin and using him in a Fsmash all in one motion, or just keeping my Pikmin numbers up while maintining pressure. So why doesn't anybody else use this?

Fino

Smash Master
Have Pikmin been known to de-sync smashes with anything other than Usmash? <<"
Awhile ago, someone showed a vid of what looked like a desynced fsmash; however, the vid was very poor quality and no one else has done it yet.

What are Olimar's good and bad stages? I found a thread on this, but it isn't 100% complete. Also, some reasons why would be helpful too if that doesn't bother anyone.
Rainbow cruise (supposedly), Corneria, Frigate, Port Town, Weegee's mansion, sky world, japes, and pretty much any stage where you can gimp easily.

I've watched quite a few Olimar mains and I've never seen anybody doing a pluck cancel (I don't know if it has a common name). It always works as a great mindgame for me to be working with no Pikmin and suddenly pulling a Pikmin and using him in a Fsmash all in one motion, or just keeping my Pikmin numbers up while maintining pressure. So why doesn't anybody else use this?
I know that blackwaltz does, I've seen dabuz do it a couple times... but for the most part, it's kinda situational and something you really have to think about (for me anyways). After playing oliamr from near the beginning we've gotten used to the mindset of hit them away and then pluck rather than pluck and hit them. It's good for a suprise, but you shouldn't always do this imo. The best time to use this is at spawn.

~Fino

Mrs.BlackWaltzX

Smash Journeyman
Desynch pikmin work with all three smashes and there is an invincible armor gained for sacrificing your pikmin as well.

I have done the desynch with everything multiple times.
The armor one I did only a few times and would love for people to look into.

EDIT:: This is BlackWaltzX

asob4

Smash Champion
Desynch pikmin work with all three smashes and there is an invincible armor gained for sacrificing your pikmin as well.

I have done the desynch with everything multiple times.
The armor one I did only a few times and would love for people to look into.

EDIT:: This is BlackWaltzX
is there a reason you're Mrs.BlackWaltzX???
please tell me that's your gf's account or something

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Rainbow cruise (supposedly), Corneria, Frigate, Port Town, Weegee's mansion, sky world, japes, and pretty much any stage where you can gimp easily.

~Fino
I thought that Rainbow Cruise was a bad stage for Olimar along with Frigate Orpheon and Sky world. So is Corneria and Luigi's Mansion considered to be good stages for Olimar? How does PTAD benefit Olimar apart from gimping and lastly, what is Olimar's best and worst neutral stage?

Fino

Smash Master
I thought that Rainbow Cruise was a bad stage for Olimar along with Frigate Orpheon and Sky world. So is Corneria and Luigi's Mansion considered to be good stages for Olimar? How does PTAD benefit Olimar apart from gimping and lastly, what is Olimar's best and worst neutral stage?
I thought that's what you were asking. Those are all bad stages for olimar.

~Fino

Atria

Smash Journeyman

I thought that's what you were asking. Those are all bad stages for olimar.

~Fino
Oh were ALL of those stages Olimar's bad ones? Oh okay then. That covers half of my question as I now know why they are bad. What are his good stages then? Also what's his best and worst neutral stage? Only neutral stages I know of are:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Fino

Smash Master
Oh were ALL of those stages Olimar's bad ones? Oh okay then. That covers half of my question as I now know why they are bad. What are his good stages then? Also what's his best and worst neutral stage? Only neutral stages I know of are:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
imo he doesn't really have bad neutrals... depends on the olimar.
campy olimar's like big stages like FD where they can spam pikmin, where as aggressive olimars like small stages w/ platforms like battlefield.
In other words... his neutrals are pretty versatile

~Fino

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Oh! I'll have to keep that in mind then. Are there any beneficial CP's for Olimar then? Also, I've been told that Luigi's Mansion is good stage for Olimar because apparently he can camp there. Why is it bad then or is that he can't camp there from what I've been told?

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
well out of the 4 starters I like 2 (BF,Smashville)and 1 I can play on(FD)and I hate yoshi's Island

Counter's
Ummmm...
weegee's
corneria
norfair

I like castle sidge and rainbow ride,(you need practice to play well on here)

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Wanna explain the whole "1% armor" or whatever it was called in NC-Echo's guide? If that is still considered to be true, that is.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I know that blackwaltz does, I've seen dabuz do it a couple times... but for the most part, it's kinda situational and something you really have to think about (for me anyways). After playing oliamr from near the beginning we've gotten used to the mindset of hit them away and then pluck rather than pluck and hit them. It's good for a suprise, but you shouldn't always do this imo. The best time to use this is at spawn.
~Fino
Thanks for your thoughts. I've made it a very quick motion so it's pretty natural for me now. I think Olimains should work on incorporating this more because it's a form of versatility, and all versatility should be utilized. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Good thread going here, and thanks!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
So far I've only got Norfair, Corneria and LM as Olimar's good stages. Are there any others?

K 2

Smash Lord
Why does my pikmin sometimes go ******** and decide its funny to not get into my pikmin chain? This has happened to me quite often, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I usually only get three pikmin in the tether, while the other three just float around me.

asob4

Smash Champion
that usually happens after you get hit, the pikmin get knocked out of your line as if you just tossed them

... it just happens

Dyyne

Smash Ace
It will also happen directly after a whistle, which is stupid as ****. Or it will happen completely randomly. Really sucks :(

Top Bottom