• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
it usually seems red pikmin spike much better than blues. Just in general.
Who is going to Apex. it's going to be the next big EC tourney probably about as big as cot4, but better run and much more efficiently.

We need to rep Olimar in hordes: Me, andyG, BlackWaltzX, and YOU!. Well hopefully.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
I have only seen a few new Olimar mains....Maybe its because Sky mentioned in his 'Becoming Pro isnt Fictional' Guide that "Olimar has the most potential" so now newbies want to make a name for themselves as an Oli main.

I used him from the start, so I dont care. :laugh:

Fino

Smash Master
I can't find it other than a reference to the chart in this thread's OP.

Does stage really affect the colour Oli is most likely to pluck?
Yes, here is the stickied thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212786

Is there any guide or tips on how to spike with Olimar?
Ummm... no? Should there be a guide?

would a red pikmin or blue pikmin work better for a spike or does it not even matter which one you use for a spike
In terms of spiking, or in terms of getting the ko?
In terms of spiking (from personal experience): Yellow = White > Red => Purple >(little)> blue
I say from personal experience, because everytime I've dair'd with a white, it has spiked. This has led me to believe that the hitbox on a white dair is almost all sweet spot. Yellows have the biggest sweet spot (due to the biggest hitbox). I'm not sure whether reds or better than purples or are equal, but blues aren't too far behind.
I could be wrong... so I won't add this to the OP.

In terms of getting the KO: red > blue = purple > yellow > white.

~Fino

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I have only seen a few new Olimar mains....Maybe its because Sky mentioned in his 'Becoming Pro isnt Fictional' Guide that "Olimar has the most potential" so now newbies want to make a name for themselves as an Oli main.

I used him from the start, so I dont care. :laugh:
dont look at me, I planned most of my mains when they where announced
I was happy as hell when Olimar was announced, thats why I use him,
same thing with D3, Luigi, Wario, and Jigglypuff.

I've used olimar as soon as brawl came out, he was the first one I used, but the increase of oliamr mains, I find a bad thing, but hey thats just me,

fino:thanks for your great description fino

asob4

Smash Champion
more olimars are good, as long as they don't get cocky as hell and show no respect to the people who have been developing his metagame since the game came out
they get on my ****in nerves

Fino

Smash Master
fino what happened to you signature "Toon link is gay"??

get infracted for it?
jaja
I got infraction points for saying toon link is gay, so for awhile I decided to put it in all of my posts... but I'm over it now.

I'm getting infractions left and right. I can't wait til the ****ers eventually ban me. I'll be moving to AiB like everyone else seems to slowly be doing

~Fino

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
I have been having a problem lately and I just want to know if this is normal/can be fixed. I usually have a full pikmin line, and I will have a blue at the front of the line, and some other color right behind it. When I go to pivot grab, the grab sends out the 2nd pikimin in the line, not the blue that is in the front.

Yet when I have ANY other color in the front, the pivot grab uses that front pikmin, it only does the switch when a blue is in front. Anyone else have this problem, and is there a way I can prevent it from happening?

asob4

Smash Champion
it usually happens with any color in front
my guess is it's a result from the mini desynch when you pivot grab

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
asc853, if I get caught in an uptilt chain, I usually just smash DI up and to to front side. If you go towards the front of him, just be aware that if you don't jump quickly enough, he can just grab you or more easily do another dair->uptilt chain. I'll usually take about 2-4 uptilts at around 0% before getting out, but it gets the job done. Also, the fox that I play with regularly will dair to punish DIing out and landing on the ground. That's why you jump out instead of just landing on the ground next to him. Then I just try to fake him out into missing me as I get near the ground. Remember, your uptilt beats his dair. If he happens to land a dair on your backside, don't try to punish it. Instead, either roll away or nair out of shield. This shouldn't happen very often though if you're spacing properly.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I have just picked up olimar competitivley and I was wondering isn't there some pivot grab thing that gives olimar crazy grab range? Pls tell me if that is rite and if so how to do it. Thank you.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have just picked up olimar competitivley and I was wondering isn't there some pivot grab thing that gives olimar crazy grab range? Pls tell me if that is rite and if so how to do it. Thank you.
You run one direction and press your grab button (usually z) and the opposite direction you're going on the control stick. It's about the length of one of the platforms on Battlefield.

joey81-

Smash Rookie
any suggestions on how to beat toon link with olimar, i just find him too fast and having too many ranged attacks to beat him

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We discussed the toon a while back in the matchup thread (pg22-24).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's a certain distance past the underside of the ledge where you simply can't latch. (it's stage dependent) Usually, if you're more than about 20 degrees past a vertical line from the ledge down, you won't latch.

Also, the pikmin are absent minded sometimes. They'll just randomly decide not to be a part of your chain and they'll fall down and die for no apparent reason.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're recovering from high up and out, you've just got to whistle. :/ As far as I know, you can't really fix the situation besides whistling, but rather you need to try and avoid it. Don't latch for the sake of latching- only when you need to and you're absolutely sure that enough pikmin are with you. Just be as safe and cautious as possible.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Don't tether immediately after a whistle. They can be especially ******** in that moment where you may be most desperate for them :( It makes me want to quit oli whenever they don't join the tether for w/e reason....but then I just make love to oli and it's all good. He's very nice with his dildo- I mean pikmin.

asob4

Smash Champion
....but then I just make love to oli and it's all good. He's very nice with his dildo- I mean pikmin.
-shiver-
that is.... the most disturbing thing i've ever read
i can't get the mental image out of my head D:

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So, if its been a solid 7 months or so since I was a common sight, what new do I need to read up on / figure out to catch up to date without ramming my head into a wall reading things we've known for that long? And what did you guys do recently to actually earn some respect for Oli? =)

-True

Fino

Smash Master
So, if its been a solid 7 months or so since I was a common sight, what new do I need to read up on / figure out to catch up to date without ramming my head into a wall reading things we've known for that long? And what did you guys do recently to actually earn some respect for Oli? =)

-True
o_o are you asking... to explain an entire character? There's lots of stickies... i dunno
The newest thing that we've discovered is that terrain effects pikmin pluck. Stages like Frigate and corneria give you significantly more yellows... ect. Umm de-syncing pikmin, I really don't know where to start @.@

~Fino

Top Bottom