• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

KBM

Smash Ace
blargh, i need to get recognized.

Hey Fino, I started using jabs out of shield to get people out of my face. Ive found it surprisingly effective, but it's always sort of a toss up between up-tilting or jabbing OoS, any thoughts?

Fino

Smash Master
blargh, i need to get recognized.

Hey Fino, I started using jabs out of shield to get people out of my face. Ive found it surprisingly effective, but it's always sort of a toss up between up-tilting or jabbing OoS, any thoughts?
OoS you have many options, one of my personal favorites is kinda scrubish, but I used to main rob so it's a bad habbit. Spot dodge to dsmash is oddly effective until people get used to it.
There are some situations in when you want to get people out of your face, if you need to pluck pikmin or re-control your spacing (playing defensively) you should jab. If you want to go from defense to offense, I would dtilt to set up for an usmash or uair.
Utilt imo should be used for people who run up and spot dodge or just in various situations where priority is a must and you're limited on options.

Knowing when to use olimar's tilts can be difficult. One method to kind of figure out is go into a friendly with the mind set that you're going to utilt a lot or dtilt a lot. See what works and soon it will become natural

~Fino

Excellence

Smash Champion
Against diddy, it may not be a good idea to sh your pikmin toss, since diddy will throw the banana when you're landing. In fact, may not be a good idea to pikmin toss that much at all, since they usually arc above the bananas anyway and rarely block them.

Excellence, stuff like "which way should I roll?" can't be answered. You pose too many questions that you need to find for yourself through playing them. Every player is different, it's up to you to observe their patterns.

Anyway, grabbing isn't a good idea in this matchup imo. Stuff like dash attack can hardly be punished by a grab since a second attack or a retreat can be started right after it, and our lack of shield armor makes it difficult to find a space where we can safely grab. I really don't like this matchup, but I play it all the time :( In the air, his fair> our fair, and it is fast enough that they can fairly easily bait an airdodge/ whistle, and attack after. God I hate this matchup...
I try not to jump too much, but I'm going to completely stop jumping in this match-up. It is very bad for Olimar to be in the air... very bad.

I don't think it's too bad. It's psychology, as I explained in my earlier post, people tend to follow trends in order to beat instinct. You work from there. I'm just asking do Diddy players tend to expect you to move in a certain direction. Maybe there is no trend, but I am curious.

This match-up is really difficult, but I think as soon as you learn how to work around the bananas you'll be able to beat many Diddy Kong players.

The best option would be just to fsmash diddy for whenever he goes on trying to glide toss bananas at you, as said by KBM it goes through that approach.
I suppose. I'll just have to take this bit of advice to the next level on my own.
I would say Fino, Zori, Icylight, Richbrown, AndyG and asob4...And BlackWaltz.

That's who I looked for when I wanted to get better anyway.
AndyG followed by BlackWAltz followed by DanGR.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Top 2 are definitely AndyG and Blackwaltz. Tourney results prove this. The ones in Cali are good, as well as some scattered across the midwest among some other regions.

As for me, I need to show some recent vids of my top play before I can claim any spot, lol.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've been really tearing it up at some smaller 30-40 man tournaments lately lol. Gonna try to make it out to some bigger ones within the next few weeks, I've been so busy.

Anyways, I noticed the Diddy discussion a while back. Seriously, control the nanerz. Well, at least control ONE naner. I try to stay about a grabs length away from diddy so that way I can jump and airdodge the banana (to grab it) immediately when he decides to pull it out. I keep saying this to everyone and no one seems to get it: The bananas are just as much yours as they are Diddys. If he only has control of one naner, just stay on the ground, shield it when he throws it, and grab him (Diddy will almost always try to run in and grab you after throwing it). If he has both nanerz, throw pikmin to block them and either try to grab one of them or just weather the naner storm until one of them disappears.

This matchup is not as intimidating as it seems at first. It's just one you really have to sit with. Locate a diddy player near you.

Also, I've been charging my Dsmashes a LOT lately, and 2 things happen: 1. they sometimes absorb hitboxes, keeping me safe from an attack while I'm sitting there charging, and 2. they occasionally desynch. I've actually been getting a handful of desynched Dsmashes lately. Nothing insane, but the pikmin will usually release its attack while just above Olimar's head.

Charging Dsmashes is so good, it's become one of my favorite things to do. I usually do it when I feel my opponent is gonna roll into me, after grab release, or when they are in the air. Man, people do weird things when ya start charging smashes. And it's also fun to charge a Dsmash when someone is directly above you on a platform. They will think it's an upsmash and land on either side of you, and then BAM ****.

/RichBrown's random facts of the day

Fino

Smash Master
Anyways, I noticed the Diddy discussion a while back. Seriously, control the nanerz. Well, at least control ONE naner. I try to stay about a grabs length away from diddy so that way I can jump and airdodge the banana (to grab it) immediately when he decides to pull it out. I keep saying this to everyone and no one seems to get it: The bananas are just as much yours as they are Diddys. If he only has control of one naner, just stay on the ground, shield it when he throws it, and grab him (Diddy will almost always try to run in and grab you after throwing it). If he has both nanerz, throw pikmin to block them and either try to grab one of them or just weather the naner storm until one of them disappears.
Agreed, my primary strategy is similar to this. I just want to make sure I have a banana in my hand. Once I do that, I like to use lots of b button :D
It's awkwardly effective. If I need to use an attack, but I don't want to get rid of my banana yet, I'll throw it up, and start attacking, then nair through it before it falls to the ground. Additionally, I throw the banana only if I'm sure it will make him trip and I can either attack him, or control a banana again.

~Fino

Cook

Smash Master
This doesn't work. This is what happens... Diddy throws a Banana at your shield while gliding backward to grab a second, he glide tosses that one and himself forward making you slip. Diddy either repeats or he toss you off the ledge and kills you.
I dunno, it worked pretty well in the couple of friendlies I had with Alpha Zealot at the MWCC (he won one match and I won one, both were really close). Most of the Diddy's I play follow the first banana they throw and either try to run in with a dash attack or a grab, and I think you can punish either of these with a grab.

Why would the second banana make you trip? Did it poke your shield? I get both bananas thrown at me all the time and am able to shield both. You probably don't want to keep your shield up between the bananas. I dunno, playing the matchup camping and shielding the bananas then punishing the follow-up usually works for me, but maybe I just play with bad Diddy's?

I have a couple videos you could watch, but you probably won't learn much from them because they aren't real good on my part or on hers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9lW-rUdIms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIHKxH5cPY&feature=related

jog

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i just recently picked up olimar and i've read the guides and figured out the pikmin for the most part. and i was wondering why weegee's mansion is his best stage. i went looking through the stage CP list and that's what i found, and when it comes to RC i can see why its his worst. but what are some other good CP stages and why. thanks :)

asob4

Smash Champion
usmash against ceiling, large stage, easy to avoid gimps, VERY large boundaries, VERY easy to camp because pikmin go through pillars that stop other projectiles = best stage

Cook

Smash Master
Also hinders aerial approaches and helps Olimar stay on the ground more. The only thing I don't like is that the ceiling is so high, which can make it hard to get kills.

Another good stage for Olimar is Corneria because the small boundaries help you get kills and also makes it so it is less likely you'll be gimped. Camping by the fin can also be good against some characters; you just have to be careful because lots of other characters can do stuff to you by the fin as well.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I don't think it's too bad. It's psychology, as I explained in my earlier post, people tend to follow trends in order to beat instinct. You work from there. I'm just asking do Diddy players tend to expect you to move in a certain direction. Maybe there is no trend, but I am curious.
Yes, but different people follow different trends. I guess a general strategy would be to roll towards them after tripping, since they may expect you to roll away from them.

<3
my name is skank
only teh oldies really know that ;D
only a few know my real name :o
*** ********. That isn't curses, it's your name that I didn't type out. Count the asterisks ;) How could I possibly know, being on a different coast???

asob4

Smash Champion
AiB dumb dumb lmfao

only a few meaning the ones who have AiB, who i told, or know me personally

Dyyne

Smash Ace
What is this all is brawl you speak of? I simply asked the oligod for your name. Oligod knows all lul, duh.

Fino

Smash Master
hey guys i just recently picked up olimar and i've read the guides and figured out the pikmin for the most part. and i was wondering why weegee's mansion is his best stage. i went looking through the stage CP list and that's what i found, and when it comes to RC i can see why its his worst. but what are some other good CP stages and why. thanks :)
Luigi's and Corneria are olimar's best stage, BF being his best neutral. Unfortunately SBR put Corneria in the banned, so it's up to luck whether the tournaments you go to have it or not.

Also, RC is an amazing olimar stage, don't nix it until you play on it. Great for camping and early kills. I've beat countless G&W and MK's there (you would think they would ravage olimar on RC).
IMO japes is his worst stage, but I'm trying to learn how to play it myself. There isn't really a HORRIBLE stage for him unless you have tards like those running the mwcc and have PTAD and skyworld legal <_<

~Fino

Dyyne

Smash Ace
^ /agreed. The main reason why I'm posting though is: Did the sbr release the new ruleset and legal stages yet? I looked for it a bit, but I couldn't find it. Wasn't in sposed to come out in january?

jog

Smash Journeyman
now i've come to find out myself i like corneria for beefing his throws even more. another question i have is, should i stay mainly on the ground with oli? i find myself in the air a lot with almost every character i use. so i'm trying to break that habit when i use oli but i mean he does have a good bair fair nair up-air and a decent dair that spikes yeah? also which pikmin spike? yellow, blue and purple?

edit:
i'm from texas so we have all the gay stages un-banned :) so yes corneria is a legal CP

Fino

Smash Master
^ /agreed. The main reason why I'm posting though is: Did the sbr release the new ruleset and legal stages yet? I looked for it a bit, but I couldn't find it. Wasn't in sposed to come out in january?
Some special people have an inside knowledge...
Someone might have slipped me sbr's rule-set a week or so ago :D

now i've come to find out myself i like corneria for beefing his throws even more. another question i have is, should i stay mainly on the ground with oli? i find myself in the air a lot with almost every character i use. so i'm trying to break that habit when i use oli but i mean he does have a good bair fair nair up-air and a decent dair that spikes yeah? also which pikmin spike? yellow, blue and purple?

edit:
i'm from texas so we have all the gay stages un-banned :) so yes corneria is a legal CP
Corneria is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNdrqip16HM

Olimar has a very strong ground game; however, his aerials are very good too. Just keep an eye on priority... you have none D: I'm not saying don't use his aerials... just more a long the lines of be careful in some matchups.

All pikmin spike... I think I mentioned this earlier, so I'll go add it to the OP if I didn't already

~Fino

RichBrown

Smash Master
I used to hate JJ, but lately I've been musing on the stage, and it actually isn't all that bad if you can stay off that left platform. If you get gimped on the right side, no worries, just land in the water and come back on the other side. Olimar can camp like a mofo and can attack from under the platforms. He is freaking Tarzan on that stage. I've been liking cruise less and less. I was giving it a chance simply because Fino said so (yes this was the only reason lol) but it just hasn't been working for me.

Cook

Smash Master
Jungle Japes ****ed me so bad at my last tournament. The tournament before that, though, I actually counterpicked it against Arkive (amazing Link player) and it worked out. So I have a love/hate relationship with it. Basically, it ain't bad as long as you avoid the left side.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Japes... i love the stage because of how easy it is to camp. And UAir planking the right side is too fun ;D but getting kills at japes frustrates me... The high ceiling is just too annoying... i'm not too sure at why it would be a 'horrible' olimar stage though, but my ban still shifts between it and rainbow cruise. (i lol each time someone takes me to frigate xD)

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Part of what makes japes so bad is that if you fall in the water, most characters can still jump out and recover. Many pikmin die for oli, so that often is not the case.

Cook

Smash Master
Japes... i love the stage because of how easy it is to camp. And UAir planking the right side is too fun ;D but getting kills at japes frustrates me... The high ceiling is just too annoying... i'm not too sure at why it would be a 'horrible' olimar stage though, but my ban still shifts between it and rainbow cruise. (i lol each time someone takes me to frigate xD)
Did you know that if you try to up-air G&W through that platform he can stagespike you by up-b'ing out of shield? It doesn't make sense.

jog

Smash Journeyman

Some special people have an inside knowledge...
Someone might have slipped me sbr's rule-set a week or so ago :D

Corneria is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNdrqip16HM

Olimar has a very strong ground game; however, his aerials are very good too. Just keep an eye on priority... you have none D: I'm not saying don't use his aerials... just more a long the lines of be careful in some matchups.

All pikmin spike... I think I mentioned this earlier, so I'll go add it to the OP if I didn't already

~Fino
ahh i never looked at the front page :lick: no one ever has "frequently asked questions" on the front of their Q&A threads. i like that you do though, it just saves a lot of time.

also why is it that frigate is good for olimar? because of the purple and yellow pikmin pluck rate? and why is it that people think its bad for him thus CPing it against him?

Cook

Smash Master
ahh i never looked at the front page :lick: no one ever has "frequently asked questions" on the front of their Q&A threads. i like that you do though, it just saves a lot of time.

also why is it that frigate is good for olimar? because of the purple and yellow pikmin pluck rate? and why is it that people think its bad for him thus CPing it against him?
It's good during the part where it is symmetrical and there is a platform in the middle because you can camp under the platform really well. It's bad during the part where the sides move because you can't grab the right ledge when the platform moves away, so you get gimped easier.

Fino

Smash Master
It's good during the part where it is symmetrical and there is a platform in the middle because you can camp under the platform really well. It's bad during the part where the sides move because you can't grab the right ledge when the platform moves away, so you get gimped easier.
Indeed.

On the first part.... camp the left side. when the stage changes... you're free to ****.

Also, when the stage changes... make sure you're in the air above stage (preferably towards the middle) so you don't get gimped when the stage flips.

Here's how you should play frigate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2acTjMigg (skip to :58)

:bee: :laugh:

~Fino

jog

Smash Journeyman

Indeed.

On the first part.... camp the left side. when the stage changes... you're free to ****.

Also, when the stage changes... make sure you're in the air above stage (preferably towards the middle) so you don't get gimped when the stage flips.

Here's how you should play frigate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2acTjMigg (skip to :58)

~Fino

hahaha double team lucario = fail

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman

Indeed.

~Fino
That part was really nice Fino, btw who was that Lucario you fought on there?

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
I have a question...

Why is it that whenever i Dair someone....they go left or right instead of down?

Top Bottom