• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
If you wanted to use any secondaries, try ROB or Toon Link. I use them and I do pretty good at tournies. Just don't think you're ROB or TLink when you're actually playing as Olimar, or the other way around, because they're almost polar opposites.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I know that Olimar cando that Fair to Dthrow on fastfallers.. I want to know what characters you can and can't do this to. And is it possible to fullhop Fair/Bair in a WoP-esque way?
Also, what is WAC? Can I see a video of it?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Ok I was just vsing a good ROB, with a bunch of red pikmin (Lucky). tHE red pikmin did not help to much against ROB, then in the last stock I tried killing him with up smash red pikmin. BUt the ROB used Nair and just killed me ( even though I thought a red pikmin could go through his fire wheel of doom). What pikmin works best against a good ROB >_>

Excellence

Smash Champion
So, i main Oli. I want two backups for him, but i can't decide who. Help me please.

And no MK or Snake.
If you want a secondary that is going to help you win I'd say go with Marth or King Dedede. Both of them cover up a large portion of Olimar's weak match-ups so you'll have a much easier time winning in a tournament. However, both of these characters have a high learning curve ladder on in the game, so they're if you want to win, not just have fun. If you want to have fun, go with Mr. Game & Watch or Luigi. They're good aerial characters are pretty fun to use, in my opinion.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I know that Olimar cando that Fair to Dthrow on fastfallers.. I want to know what characters you can and can't do this to. And is it possible to fullhop Fair/Bair in a WoP-esque way?
Also, what is WAC? Can I see a video of it?
It usually depends on the percentage. If you've just started a stock then: Down Throw > Foward Aerial > Dash Grabbed Down Throw will usually work. Characters that can avoid that combo are people like Wario and lighter characters who will usually be knocked back too far by certain colors or the Forward Aerial itself. This isn't a guarenteed combo so people with range and see this coming will be able to punish or avoid this. Donkey Kong & King Dedede both have good range and are decent examples.

Ok I was just vsing a good ROB, with a bunch of red pikmin (Lucky). tHE red pikmin did not help to much against ROB, then in the last stock I tried killing him with up smash red pikmin. BUt the ROB used Nair and just killed me ( even though I thought a red pikmin could go through his fire wheel of doom). What pikmin works best against a good ROB >_>
First, Red Pikmin Up Smash is not a get out of jail free Pikmin. Even if you're using that color when you Up Smash, you still need to time the move correctly. The only extra benifit you get from having a Red Pikmin in your attack is that R.O.B.'s Neutral Aerial will not simply ignore the fact that it's there and hit you anyway. One thing about R.O.B.'s Neutral Aerial that many people don't get used to is that it goes in a clock-like motion and the hitbox reaches different areas at different times, so sometimes you have more time than you realize.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Find someone you can do well versus MK with, (maybe wario, pikachu, or diddy) and then just practice your other bad matchups with Oli. Oli doesn't have any really onesided matchups that you can't get past with some practice.

Fino

Smash Master
dthrow fair works on every character at low percents even with perfect DI and aerial maneuvers to void it.

If you want to perfect buffer then entire motion (like I do), set Y to grab. When you hit Y to grab someone, immediately press down and circle your thumb from X to A while moving your control stick in the direction they fly.

*notes*
If you press down RIGHT before the opponent comes to you in will flow in on gentle motion, i.e. the dthrow will happen on the soonest possible frame. Pressing XA roughly the time you hear the sound of them thumping will also make your SH fair on the soonest available frame.
Doing both of these abuses brawl's buffer system to combo in an un-avoidable way. After that it's up to you know understand the characters falling speed and weight, along with percent, to determine how to follow things up.

I apologize in advance if this is stupid or wrong.... it's almost 4 and I'm a bit woozy :p

~Fino

Zumma

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking into G&W and Wario closely now and a little Pikachu.

Zori

Smash Champion
well i use wario as a secondary..... i don't think he aids me in tournament i just use him in teams cause he ***** in teams

Fino

Smash Master
i was curious about this as well

anyone tried?
Am I completely wrong... or does Gonta do the same thing at 1:42? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsUPhs9KygQ

If so... you can feel more technical by performing a pluck during the *wait* part of his directions. I've been doing it for awhile... the mind games are intense and it just plain looks cool....

but I could be wrong, it just looks the same to me ;-;

~fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's simply using the pivot boost to gain some distance. It's hardly worth it to take the time to pivot and then pivotgrab when you could just stand still and grab or just plain pivotgrab. It's unsafe compared to Olimar's other options that can be used in similar situations. In other words, don't use it.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
I was always wondering when it is a viable time to kill with Dsmash, I don't see many Olis killing with that. And I don't see it used that much at all except against Falco or Fawx. When would it be a good time to use it?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there any way to kill a pikmin during its grab animation? I had one drown during the animation and olimar got stuck, could not move, he was in the animation as if he was holding someone but I couldn't pummel(he wasn't holding anyone) and it seemed to be indefinite until I was hit. What is this and how do I trigger/avoid triggering it?

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Oh, that is a glitch in the game. When someone is close enough, and you grab with a Pikmin, but they drown before they get to them, then the game thinks that the Pikmin did grab the person since he/she was close enough. The Pikmin dies though, so Oli is stuck in the animation until he dies or someone hits him. I think the only way the can die from grabbing is drowning. You can avoid it by not grabbing in water, but you trigger it by grabbing in water when the opponent is close enough(without a blue).

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
As Plasma said, the only way for a pikmin to die while in the grab animation, is for it to be submerged in water, as you stated, while olimar (not the pikmin) is in his animation for his grab. The pikmin cannot complete the animation and thus olimar does not know what to do. Since the pikmin hasnt come back yet, olimar goes into the stance he goes into when a pikmin grabs an opponent and is stuck in it, because there's nothing olimar can do to end this animation (which would normally be to throw the opponent or pummel). Olimar will stay stuck in this animation until it is interrupted by an opposing attack or the water increases too high and he drowns.

To my knowledge, this glitch can only happen on Summit and Pirate Ship. The water has to be both high enough for the pikmin to drown (unlike pokemon stadium), the water must not be too deep so that you are still able to stand and thus do your grabbing animation (rules out delfino) and the water must suddenly change from being a normal floor to a floor covered in shallow water. Which leaves only summit and Pirate Ship. And summit's never legal >.> So this shouldnt ever be a problem. It'll only happen on pirate ship if you use it when the ship crash's, while you're on the far right side of the boat, where it slowly dips into the water, and you're in the grabbing animation. Otherwise, this should never happen.

But if it does, you're ****ed
:laugh:

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
can some one explain how to do the desynched up smash because i assumed you up smashed while the pikmin ran back to you but i do that and it either doesn't work or olimar does it with the pikmin standing next to him

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm going to avoid a long explanation, and save it for my thread that will include it in it >.>

Basically if a pikmin is next to be used for an attack, whether it is in line or not and is in the "hurt" animation before olimar uses his smash, the pikmin will be used in the smash from wherever he is. I'll be doing more research on it during the week and hope to have a thread up before long, so there can be a well explained explanation for it.

Top Bottom