• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Whites are FAR from useless.

Damage per latch: 6%
Pummel Damage: 3-4%

Secksay.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
white's only deal 6% damage if it's undiminished, of course. Which, unless you get them early in the stock, or just comboed your opponent to hell and back, they'll be dealing about 3-4 damage most of the time. Still, though, that's pretty good. If it stays on for several hits you could easily rack up ten damage with latch even if it's diminished. And if it ISNT diminished it's quite a bit better.

I was curious about something... I was wondering how white pikmin actually compare to the others for grabs, while pummeling, considering that you use olimar's best throw after the pummels. And I'm pretty bored, so here's a chart I made for it.
Code:
Pummels    Red    Yellow    Blue    White    Purple    Rank Order
1          11%    13%       17%     11%      13%       [COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple [/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow[/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]/White
2          12%    14%       18%     14%      14%       [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple [/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow[/COLOR]/White> [COLOR="red"]Red        [/COLOR]
3          14%    16%       20%     18%      16%       [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> White > [COLOR="purple"]Purple [/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow[/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
4          15%    17%       21%     20%      17%       [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> White > [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
5          17%    19%       23%     23%      19%       [COLOR="blue"]Blue[/COLOR]/White > [COLOR="Purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
6          18%    20%       24%     26%      20%       White > [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
7          19%    21%       25%     28%      21%       White > [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
8          20%    22%       26%     30%      22%       White > [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
9          21%    23%       27%     32%      23%       White > [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
10         22%    24%       28%     34%      24%       White > [COLOR="blue"]Blue [/COLOR]> [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]Yellow [/COLOR]> [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR]
Okay, so when you're able to do one pummel, whites are as bad as reds for grab damage. At two it ties with yellow and purple. Three through four it's right behind blues, beating out reds, yellows and purples, ties with blue at five, and is best for grab damage anywhere six and after.

Remember, this is considering that you throw your opponent after the pummels with the best possible throw for damage, and undiminished at the start of the grab, however the pummels diminish after each pummel and that's taken into consideration.

By the way, the pummel damage, while diminishing for the colors are as follows:

R/Y/B/P - 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
White - 4, 7, 11, 13, 16, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36

i forgot why i did this =( i really need some sleep >.>

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
What is the best way to approach a ledge camper? like for instance Pit staying on the ledge and doing Uair if you get close, and if you go far he shoots an arrow. i cant really think of any reliable way, i mean i could just stay back and shield the shots but what if he has a percent advantage. maybe if i stand a pikmin throw distance away and try to time it to hit when he jumps. what are you guys opinions?

Noa.

Smash Master
1. Just play normally unless it's purple or white until you get a bit better.
2. Toss the white or grab. When you grab, do jabs till the enemy escapes.
4. I'd say go with Battlefield. My personal is Yoshi's. Counterpick? Depends. I'd go with Halbred.
5. Olimar can beat anyone.
6. Out of the two? I only use red in teams and have the nametag "Disco" for it. I usually get my partner to be "Fever".
EDIT: A lot.

MYEDIT:: I don't believe Duplex was the first Unolimar.
Maybe the first one to post about it?
Ok, thank you for the advice.

Whites are FAR from useless.

Damage per latch: 6%
Pummel Damage: 3-4%

Secksay.
Perhaps useless was too strong a word. But whites really have only one use. Go for the grab with them or do latch damage.

Because of this, you just throw them as soon as they're queued unless you can get a grab. Using them for any attack apart from the dair spike is silly. Hitting the opponent with a white pikmin smash is very saddening.

So while they aren't useless, they certainly aren't the best pikmin.

A few more questions,

1. Is tether ledge canceling worth learning and using? It seems useful for more edge options, but do most Olimars actually use it?

2. Are there any really useful ATs that I must learn and implement into my game?

3. Olimar doesn't have grab armor. Exactly what does this mean and what are the disadvantages to not having grab armor?

4. Any notable Olimars in Florida? I would like to get some teaching from them if there are any.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Only ones I can answer because is:

2. Pluck Cancelling can be useful to speed up Oli's game and to mindgame the opponent, and even Smash Attack when they don't expect anything. Pluck Canceling is just Dashing or Smashing when you pluck a Pikmin from the ground, you can immediately do something afterwards. Gonta does this a lot.

3. Grab Armor is when a person grabs someone, and they get attacked at the same time, but they don't flinch. It happens sometimes, and you probably noticed it sometimes when you are not Oli and you grab someone and they attack you and you don't move. For someone like Oli, grabbing is pretty important, and not having grab armor messes up our grab, so that means when people attack us while we grab them, we will flinch and get affected by the knockback of the move, which is not good obviously.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Allow me to answer your other questions:

1. Tether ledge canceling is worth learning and using, but it shouldn't be used frequently IMO.

Indeed its useful for more edge options, but you can only do it twice to be safe...unless you're daring and try three but I wouldnt' recommend it though. Olimar can only use his tether three times off-stage before it fails completely.

Many Olimars use this tech but not all of the time for many obvious reasons, its like something you use when you're trying to think of an approach or mindgame your opponent into attacking too early so that you could punish them.

4. Go here. Although, I wouldn't recommend it because its kinda outdated, someone FORGOT to update it but I'm not saying any names >.>

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Many Olimars use this tech but not all of the time for many obvious reasons, its like something you use when you're trying to think of an approach or mindgame your opponent into attacking too early so that you could punish them.
Tether canceling has very few uses, all of which arent that effective, and are extremely situational to the point to where it wouldn't be used. To be honest, I've never seen a video where an olimar uses tether canceling, although I randomly throw it into my game in an attempt to throw my opponent off. (plus it's hella flashy =D)

But in all honesty, it's not a necessity to learn. Neither is it really worth it.

edit: To your other questions:

ATs - There really isnt an AT that is necessary to olimar's game. People like Gonta and Fino are known to use pluck canceling well, although it's not a staple. You'd do fine with or without it, tbh.

Florida Olimars - I think Fearless still plays brawl... He's the only olimar that comes to mind from that region.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Tether canceling has very few uses, all of which arent that effective, and are extremely situational to the point to where it wouldn't be used. To be honest, I've never seen a video where an olimar uses tether canceling, although I randomly throw it into my game in an attempt to throw my opponent off. (plus it's hella flashy =D)

But in all honesty, it's not a necessity to learn. Neither is it really worth it.
While you are right about it being ineffective, having a few uses, and it being situational....it is something you should consider learning...to an extent that is. I myself don't use it much because I tend to have bad luck, but its still something you should know about even if it has those drawbacks.

You're right about it being flashy though =D

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Best Olimar in Florida is probably KBM, but i'm not sure if HR_Nut still plays. If you ever see him tell him .com wants him to play Olimar for you.
Umm only thing you really need to worry about is inter grating whistle, at least somewhat into your game. It's a life saver, other than that improve yourself, and learn to read people.

Fino

Smash Master
But whites really have only one use. Go for the grab with them or do latch damage.
lolwut?

A few more questions,

1. Is tether ledge canceling worth learning and using? It seems useful for more edge options, but do most Olimars actually use it?

2. Are there any really useful ATs that I must learn and implement into my game?

3. Olimar doesn't have grab armor. Exactly what does this mean and what are the disadvantages to not having grab armor?

4. Any notable Olimars in Florida? I would like to get some teaching from them if there are any.
1. It's up to you. I use it just for fun... in tournament match I would only do it if I knew I weren't going to get screwed for it.

2. No, brawl doesn't have any AT's at all :(

3. You get knock out of grabs during your grab animation. You ever notice if you fsmash and someone grabs you, they are still grabbing you as your fsmash goes through them. This is known as "faux super armor" or... was the last time I checked the AT thread. However, not having grab armor means that the attack will knock you out of your grab animation.

4. Ummm... doesn't hai i'm fearless live in florida? Smash your mom is almost a highly self proclaimed good olimar, though he has never been to a single tournament. i THINK KBM lives there.... also a couple more that I've seen pop up on youtube, but none that really catch my attention / have made some noise.

~Fino

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Fino, gtfo with your font. It's not even the fact that I have to highlight it to read it that I don't like...it's just...you've changed. Your avatar, your font...baby, why?

Also, still 10th place on the tier list mutha****as. I think that's a nice, round number.

Fino

Smash Master
Fino, gtfo with your font. It's not even the fact that I have to highlight it to read it that I don't like...it's just...you've changed. Your avatar, your font...baby, why?

Also, still 10th place on the tier list mutha****as. I think that's a nice, round number.
Hehe, crazy things happen when I'm tired ^^;

Anyways, I was hoping for olimar to move up 7 spots again =-/ Oh well...

~Fino

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice

Hehe, crazy things happen when I'm tired ^^;

Anyways, I was hoping for olimar to move up 7 spots again =-/ Oh well...

~Fino
No U Fino, I love Haruhi more :mad:

I guess that kicking Lucario out of being tied with him and staying in his current place is alright, but like you I wanted him to move a bit more higher. Isn't moving 7 spots up a bit pushing it though(many sonic mains are mad at Sonic's placing)?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
He's higher than rob now at least, which is good. Pika passing up olimar is no surprise, so passing up rob at least let us keep our postition.

I think he's gonna stay right where he is.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Against Snake, I always ban either Frigate or Rainbow Cruise.

What I usually cp is Mansion, which they will probably ban. If they do, what I do is CP Delfino for more Purples or FD for camping space.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I usually CP delfino against snake usually. Baning RC against him doesnt hav much of a point. It's too easy to outcamp snake on rainbow cruise.

Frigate maybe, i could see that I guess. Dabuz talks like it's a good stage against snake though, so I dont know.

Also, FD works well against snake, so if you dont like delfino too much, I'd take him there.

Noa.

Smash Master

edit: To your other questions:

ATs - There really isnt an AT that is necessary to olimar's game. People like Gonta and Fino are known to use pluck canceling well, although it's not a staple. You'd do fine with or without it, tbh.

Florida Olimars - I think Fearless still plays brawl... He's the only olimar that comes to mind from that region.
Best Olimar in Florida is probably KBM, but i'm not sure if HR_Nut still plays. If you ever see him tell him .com wants him to play Olimar for you.
Umm only thing you really need to worry about is inter grating whistle, at least somewhat into your game. It's a life saver, other than that improve yourself, and learn to read people.

lolwut?

1. It's up to you. I use it just for fun... in tournament match I would only do it if I knew I weren't going to get screwed for it.

2. No, brawl doesn't have any AT's at all :(

3. You get knock out of grabs during your grab animation. You ever notice if you fsmash and someone grabs you, they are still grabbing you as your fsmash goes through them. This is known as "faux super armor" or... was the last time I checked the AT thread. However, not having grab armor means that the attack will knock you out of your grab animation.

4. Ummm... doesn't hai i'm fearless live in florida? Smash your mom is almost a highly self proclaimed good olimar, though he has never been to a single tournament. i THINK KBM lives there.... also a couple more that I've seen pop up on youtube, but none that really catch my attention / have made some noise.

~Fino
Thank you.

Fearless is starting to play brawl less and less. I've played him twice in tourney and the last time I did play him I was extremely close to beating him. That was when I mained G&W though, so I doubt that I'll do well against him now. But that doesn't matter, he doesn't play brawl much now anyway.

Yes, KBM does live in FL. I may contact him to see if he's going to any tournies soon.

Oh and about the whistle. I spam it. Whistle is one of my most favorite moves with Olimar. I think I may be using it in the wrong situations though. XD

Basic uses for the whistle would be for protection against edgeguarding, combobreaking and being able to punish the lag of other moves that shielding/airdodging wouldn't. Am I correct on that?

Now, my main smash friend is a Peach main. Just picking up Olimar, I find that it sucks to fight against Peach. How do I approach the matchup? Right after this I'm reading the matchup thread, but is there anything that the thread missed?

Noa.

Smash Master
While the thread may be outdated, it does offer some information. Even if it's not a show of the current metagame, it still gives me an idea of what to at least exptect.

Luckily for me, not many people in Florida have much Olimar experience. Reading the matchup thread helps to give me an edge over them.

Yet, the information in the matchup thread is only my starting point. It may or may not emphasize or not emphasize on easy or hard parts of the matchup. A lot of the tactics and strategies in the matchup thread might work or might not work, but at least I'm aware of what I can try.

I haven't been to a single tournament with Olimar yet so I want to be as prepared as can be.

Just saying...>.>

asob4

Smash Champion
gotta put those pikmin somewhere ;D

fino is love <3 hahahaha

vs peach is just spam spam spam and full hop fair her approach then spam more and pray for a kill with anything

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
MYEDIT:: I don't believe Duplex was the first Unolimar.
Maybe the first one to post about it?

:dizzy: Was I not? Lemme lookie around for a sec, I can't make wild claims without evidence.... It would be most displeasing if I wasn't...

Here we go! Here is where I first mentioned Unolimar. On 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4856478

Oddly enough in a google search on the first result I noticed someone used the term on the Gamespot forums. But that was on Jan 22, 2009 1:11 am GMT. Perhaps they heard the term or thought of it on their own. Who knows, at any rate I'm somewhat aware that no one cares about the Unolimar origin at any rate.

Anywho back to Olimar debate for me. I'm most interested if there is a golden number of Pikmin. Sorry if I'm boring anyone with it, but if there is two things I love it's Unolimar and Taffy. And I'm a man who loves his Taffy.

Then you have the problem of lack of variety. What if you need a Purple but just can't seem to pluck one? This is the one fallback to having 1-2 pikmin. You lack variety.
But with two Pikmin and if the purple is needed you would need to pluck all the same. In that case I understand the advantage of two Pikmin is that your other Pikmin might be the purple. Then I suppose the advantage of six is that there is a greater possibilty of the Pikmin you need without plucking, instead you have to deal with line management instead. But when you need a Pikmin urgently you either pluck or manage your line, both take time. I suppose players have to choose between leaving to pluck statistics or some rapid line management. In any case a good Oli will find a suitable compromise. Sorry if this didn't quite answer the question, got lost in thought.

This can also be done with 2 pikmin just as easily, and I get additional bonuses such as 2 sided dsmashes and combo chains that REQUIRE 2 pikmin because 1 is to slow.
Yup, I gotta agree with you there but I can't say I agree yet with the combo chains, mainly because I'm not too aware of Pikmin related combos. Could you give me an example please? Although not a major point 2 Pikmin dsmashes can be done, you can pluck cancel a down smash. Can catch some people of guard and gives me a small choice to which Pikmin to keep.

However when to far to recover, you have no stage-spike option and if you don't have a purple you aren't knocking your opponent off that ledge. At least with 2 I have 1 more pikmin that may be a Purple to knock them off.
Yup, I absolutely agree with you.

SuSa, not Susu.
Sorry, I even distinctly remember even looking at the name twice because I had orginally typed Sasa. I must of been low on Tea. Third time the charm SuSa. :)

Wait until you just get OUTSPACED by someone like Snake. Utilt/ftilt ***** every single approach a solo Olimar has. He can easily knock off that single latched pikmin, and you'd have to PC to defend yourself. Having 2, I can latch with 1 and still defend myself/grab with the other. Yet another advantage of having 2 over 1. Since I can still rely on standard attacks.
Yup, I agree there too. I don't get much chance to fight many snakes, I would probably use my lone Pikmin for latch damage and whenever opportunity presented itself pluck cancel smashes then discard the less useful. That might be cheating a wee bit, but if I found the snake not so tricky then I would probably make full use of Wairs , returning the latched Pikmin, asorbing snakes blows and preparing myself for other attacks. I'm just a big fan of the ol' whistle.

I would agree that this match would be more favourable with Duomin, no doubt snake would catch onto my whistle tatics. Two Pikmin would be a much more stable matchup. Also since I can't test it atm does anyone know if it is possible to pluck cancel into a throw/grab? Not sure why I have never tested it.

Thinking about it I don't feel that one, two or even six is the best amount of Pikmin to abide by. The ideal Olimar would change the line colour and amount depending on the situation. But in any case I'm sticking to my one, I just love the randomness of it all and that whistle.

Also one final question to everybody. What sounds better to you? Unolimar or Unomar? Or any name suggesting one Pikmin?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Hmm... how about Use-all-the-pikmin-and-you'll-do-better-imar?
Quit trolling, siximar? Who would ever use such a blasphemous thing?!!?!?

And Duplex, I'm almost certain that you were indeed the first, to at least coin the term.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
And Duplex, I'm almost certain that you were indeed the first, to at least coin the term.
Which is what I said.
When I first played japanese brawl, I used no pikmin on easy fights.
So... Japanese release?
Nice.

EDIT)) Let me be clear. You are probably the first one to post about it online.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ok, seriously.

I need to ask you guys a question because I'm mad now.

How the HELL does Snake beat Olimar? I just got 3 stocked (yeeettt again) by an Olimar that finally learned how I play the matchup.

I went from 19-0 to 19-1 on the AiB ladder because of that Olimar. >: and I want my revenge!

So:

A) Issues you have when facing Snake
B) 2 stages you want to avoid fighting Snake at at ALL COSTS
C) D= help pl0x

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar destroys Snake. What are you talking about?

A) none.
B) I dislike small stages like Yoshi's Island and Halberd against Marth, MK, and Snake. Halberd has a low ceiling too... so low % uptilt kills?
C) there isn't much you can do to an Olimar that camps and spaces correctly. I suggest using a different char. I've no idea how Snake is supposed to fight an Oli that really knows the matchup well.

SuSa

That's what I thought, lmao....

I was doing ok against the Olimar for a little while.... then just got wrecked..... that's what I get for being cocky.

I also don't believe Peach is good vs Olimar, anyone else you'd recommend as a counter?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Metaknight, lol. Or Marth or Luigi. You gotta play all 3 of them differently, though. From my experience fighting against them, this is how you should approach the MUs.

With Meta, play real air campy and defensive, and make sure to punish him every time he gets off the ground. If he jumps at you with upairs, do random fast fall ADs to the ground and punish it. Tornadoing is usually a safe punisher too. Just stay out of his upb's range though. If you're not sure if something will hit, make sure you get the grab in to keep tossing him until he's offstage. Gimp with dair from the side so he doesn't upair you, and dair between whistles if he uses those. Don't approach from the ground, ever really.

With Marth, you can't play the zoning game. You'll lose that way. Use a lot of his safe pokes and be really aggressive and defensive, on and off. You'll learn when to do which. Use fast falled, spaced fairs->dancing blade on his shield and mix that with SHFF->nair->spotdodge/DB/DS if you think he'll grab. Those are your two best approaches. Edgeguard with quick, run-off-the-stage fairs, or punish whistling by baiting and timing a fair after one.

With Luigi, pressure his shield a bunch with SHfair->nair->jab mixups. He can't shieldgrab it. Tornado if he jumps while throwing pikmin or really jumps at all. That and upair juggle a lot. Punish ADs with nairs, and use jab->mixup if you both hit the ground at the same time. Kill with edgeguarding, upbs, or fsmashes to punish airdodges- which will happen fairly often if you bait correctly.

You gotta practice these matchups a lot though, to get used to them.

edit: I've no idea why I'm trying to help you fight Oli. haha

SuSa

DangR, it's because your awesome. lol

I just don't want to plank this Olimar, so I'll probably try Marth and play carefully.

@Hilt
Only because you actually need to out camp Snake. =p

Zori

Smash Champion
you need to grab more punish up when we are landing, use jab to grab more. use airdodge to ftilt to approach im not even kidding this **** works online, more bstick grenades when landing cause if we down or upsmash we get a explosion on our face but if we try to grab you are safe

there is a hit box behind snake when he jabs, so jab him faceing away then pivot grab

motar to punish our rolls then motar again to be flashy
oilmar is like rabble rabble this is dumb

gernades are cool
bait our airdodges with bair
nair is good if you can land it
dthrow tech chase, use it olimars roll is terrible
c4 kills at ridiculous percents
uptilts are cool

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
I've been using oli for a year now. I'm going to start offline this summer, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to main olimar and enter tournies singularly as him since I noticed his offline records aren't exactly the best compared to other characters.

I know my chances will obviously increase if I main a higher tier character though I'm just making sure I'm not wasting my time with oli and if I should enter/train with an alt if I'm actually looking to win money.

I live in NJ if that helps. The mk state lol so you see why I'm worried.

Zori

Smash Champion
well if you have been using him for a 'year' and NOW your worried about wasting your time...... that should say something

nj has ALOT of mk's you could

a. pick up mk become just another mk
b.play olimar get ***** a few times, but really your getting better cause hopefully you push yourself so when you go out of nj you give people the ****
c.play who ever you want have fun and enjoy them game

good luck

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I've been using oli for a year now. I'm going to start offline this summer, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to main olimar and enter tournies singularly as him since I noticed his offline records aren't exactly the best compared to other characters.

I know my chances will obviously increase if I main a higher tier character though I'm just making sure I'm not wasting my time with oli and if I should enter/train with an alt if I'm actually looking to win money.

I live in NJ if that helps. The mk state lol so you see why I'm worried.
Where in NJ?

Top Bottom