• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

asob4

Smash Champion
every time i've fought a MK main who knew the matchup, ended up just spamming nado and air camping with dair >____>
this includes dsf, tyrant, and a few others
keep in mind this was quite a few months ago when i still played

asob4

Smash Champion
money johnz
car johnz
travel johnz
girlfriend johnz
drug johnz
school johnz
life johnz
-shrug-

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, I have a question.
What do you do about an Ike that uses Aether to plank?
I tried fsmashing into it, grabbing it, jumping off and trying to stagespike it, attempted to gimp it with my tether, and so on.
Nothing worked and I ended up just getting frustrated and quitting.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I have a question also.
What is the quickest way for Olimar to regain footing after tripping?

e.g. Diddy throws a banana then waits for me to try to get up and times it right to throw another, because of the time after invincibility frames where i am vulnerable he hits me and trip again. or he'll just do a smash soon after the trip and i cant seem to get up fast enough to avoid it.

cheers for n e help :)

Fino

Smash Master
Okay, I have a question.
What do you do about an Ike that uses Aether to plank?
I tried fsmashing into it, grabbing it, jumping off and trying to stagespike it, attempted to gimp it with my tether, and so on.
Nothing worked and I ended up just getting frustrated and quitting.
Why does it matter? Ike shouldn't be ahead anyways. How is he planking the edge... in my head there are several options to plank with aether. Maybe he's just looking for a safe option back on the stage. Give him the reset, just walk to the middle of the stage to see if he comes up. Until I get more info on this, I'm not sure what to say.

There's also a way to gimp ike. If he does aether and you shield the hit, if his sword goes through the stage, you gimp him.

~Fino

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well, he wasn't ahead. He was a stock behind.
He was just planking in a friendly and it was boring the hell out of me.
I just want to be able to screw him over the next time he tries that.

And yes, he has super armor for most of his aether.

Fino

Smash Master
Well, he wasn't ahead. He was planking in a friendly and it was boring the hell out of me.
I just want to be able to screw him over the next time he tries that.
if it's friendlies I would walk to the other side of the stage, put down your controller, and start doing something else like I am right now.

Make sure you're watching the screen... if they know you're doing this they'll try to punish it :X

~Fino

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Better question, who planks in a friendly? It's just boring.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used to plank in friendlies with MK to help prove that it should be banned. I won a 1v3 doing it, haha. Now they just think MK should be banned. >_>

I have a question also.
What is the quickest way for Olimar to regain footing after tripping?

e.g. Diddy throws a banana then waits for me to try to get up and times it right to throw another, because of the time after invincibility frames where i am vulnerable he hits me and trip again. or he'll just do a smash soon after the trip and i cant seem to get up fast enough to avoid it.

cheers for n e help :)
You can't really do much after he trips you. There's a window of complete vulnerability after you trip, meaning you can't do anything. If you can, try to use your getup attack if you think he'll attack or grab you. Other than that, just stay unpredictable and hope for the best. Also, make sure to DI his hits well so he won't combo you even more. I'm mainly talking about his dash attack. DI back and up.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I have a question.

I main Falco and Olimar in Brawl, and I always use Meta Knight in our weeklies. I'm currently the best one here, and the second best always spams tornado and shuttle loop against me.

I can beat him as Falco, but I'd like to be able to beat him as Olimar. There's nothing much I can do, and grabbing his tornado isn't enough to win me the match.

Fino

Smash Master
I have a question.

I main Falco and Olimar in Brawl, and I always use Meta Knight in our weeklies. I'm currently the best one here, and the second best always spams tornado and shuttle loop against me.

I can beat him as Falco, but I'd like to be able to beat him as Meta Knight. There's nothing much I can do, and grabbing his tornado isn't enough to win me the match.
Okay.... what is your question? Keep in mind this is the olimar forums

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion
Woops, I said 'I'd like to be able to beat him as Meta Knight', but I meant Olimar.

That's a stupid typo.

I'll post a video of my Olimar against his Meta sometime, and I expect tips. :p

My question was how to beat a Meta Knight that uses that spams tornado and shuttle loop properly.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Shuttle Loop is a free Usmash or Uair. As long as you get under him when he does that, it's not that much of a problem. Offstage though, I would just airdodge or, probably better, WAC his Shuttle Loop.

Tornado can be grabbed through, like you said, or you can use Olimar's Up B to go through it, which is kinda risky. Recently though, my Yellow Fsmash has been going through it a lot. Sometimes, you can use Nair to go through the tornado if you're coming from directly above. That works sometimes for me.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If your shield is down and you see the tornado coming, go ahead and get ready to jam up and diagonal towards the tornado on both sticks. That way you'll pop up out of it before he does much damage and you'll more likely get to punish it. If you DI out and end up above him, either nair him at the very top or just wait until he falls back to the ground and do an incomplete nair->? then.

Against shuttle loop you just got stay out of its range. When you're in the air, you have to whistle when you cross what would be its hitbox and focus on getting to the ground. Airdodging will only limit your options and if the MK begins baiting them, you're screwed. I prefer to whistle what would be an attack and then airdodge through what would be the bait. That way you're at least trying to cover both while maximizing the amount of SA/invincibility frames you'll have while airborne.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
If you're vertically above mk (as opposed to diagonally above I mean), and he's the type of mk that would use shuttle loop then, you can throw out a dair. If they use uair...well...gl.

Fino

Smash Master
So do you guys still think that ROB is a bad matchup for you? Because its really not. At all.
I don't, I've been saying 55-45 to 60-40 olimar for quite some time now. Llumys is right though... R.O.B. has an advantage online, since half of the reason R.O.B. used to have such a large advantage on olimar was his gimping ability... and whistling is impossible online :p

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't whistle through his attacks every time. If they know anything about baiting, they can get past the whistle and get the easy gimp.

I say very slight advantage Rob or even.

Teh Future

Smash Master
All you have to do is jump whistle>airdoge and you cant get gimped unless your terrible at timing the whistle.

As soon as Olimar is under ROB its easily as bad as if Olimar is offstage, He cant do anything. Its a lot easier to get below ROB than it is to get lawlimar offstage.

Your matchup chart is really outdated :o

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm extremely good at timing the whistle. That's my strong suit.

There's 5 or 6 frames between a whistle and air dodge for the opponent to hit Olimar. Do you not understand how baiting works? ._.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to use your chain to grab the chain multiple times to gain more invincibility frames for edgeguarding purposes?

Gardevior

Smash Lord
You can pikmin tether the ledge up to three times before the pikmin simply refuse to grab any more ledges, dammit. At least until you hit the ground again.

Same goes for any other tether.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
You can pikmin tether the ledge up to three times before the pikmin simply refuse to grab any more ledges, dammit. At least until you hit the ground again.

Same goes for any other tether.
Ike can do it five times before getting tired.

B!squick

Smash Master
I'm gonna be honest, the only reason why I don't use Olimar is because his taunts fail.

So what can I or do you guys use as a taunt?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I just do the spastic head bang (down, down, down).
Wakowakowako.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Oh, a question: What should I do if I want to have my Olimar critiqued and post videos? Should I make a new thread? I know other boards have a video thread where you critique other users' characters.

Fino

Smash Master
Question- Who is the best in the olimar boards?
Everyone seems to rise up and dye down. Big names would be blackwaltz, pyronic star, andy g... who is banned and now called something ridiculous xD (I forget the name), and uhh.... idk... there's lots of good olimains here... I can't say anyone is better than the other.

~Fino

Top Bottom