• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Because I haven't played a decent Sonic game in 10 years, and just beat SMG2
Sonic Colors is likely not going to be a good Sonic game. I can almost guarantee they'll **** it up somehow, even if it's only in the cutscenes.

If you don't want to get Mario Galaxy because you just beat the sequel, I can understand that. But don't waste your money on Sonic Colors instead.

I haven't played Demon's Souls but I also haven't heard anything bad about it except for the fact that it's incredibly hard. You should probably get that instead of Sonic Colors.

How much money are you getting to spend on games exactly?

*looks at title*

*looks at discussion*

:x
Problem?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
^ See thing is, I'd like Tales of Vesperia, but the whole 360 thing is a problem. I'm getting a ps3, and it isn't on there yet. (Rumor is it will be) Is SO4 bad or something? I really wanted non-lolgamespot opinions.
Disgaea 3 or Valkyria Chronicles are both very very good, and they aren't "traditional" jrpgs. Look 'em up.

Oh, and they're both usually under 20 bucks at Gamestop. :3

White Knight Chronicles and Eternal Sonata are ok, but I haven't played them. Demon's Souls is also amazing (I need to actually buy it, lol), and if they ever port Persona 3 or 4, get them.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I always considered Valkyria Chronicles to be a strategy game with RPG elements.

It is a good game though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sonic Colors is likely not going to be a good Sonic game. I can almost guarantee they'll **** it up somehow, even if it's only in the cutscenes.

If you don't want to get Mario Galaxy because you just beat the sequel, I can understand that. But don't waste your money on Sonic Colors instead.

I haven't played Demon's Souls but I also haven't heard anything bad about it except for the fact that it's incredibly hard. You should probably get that instead of Sonic Colors.

How much money are you getting to spend on games exactly?

Problem?

Me and my girl have been working 70+ hours/week and saving money for christmas. We're spending about 1,200 on christmas this year :D. And still saving for the future too xD. Starting College got put a year back cause they messed up my paperwork, so... kinda just working a lot.

Idk, I know we're getting those 5 for sure (she'd kill me if we didn't get infamous and dragon age). By December I may not care for a jrpg, and you know Star Ocean has a bad tendency to turn into crap halfway through[from what I've read], so I may just go with SMG. (Or Demon's soul)

The act of playing Dragon Age+Monster Hunter (And...well no, XIII is not a real rpg imo) combined with Black coming out in march is probably good enough.

Onwards to the fighting game discussion, I warlocked punch someone as I fell of Final Destination in Brawl. WE both died, but it was sweeet.

Edit: My biggest problem is there are no good turn based rpgs this generation. =[

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yea, except I hit Snake and he died =/

Also, Disgaea is of mention, but Valk seems more like...Fire Emblemish? Maybe I'm wrong, never played it, but it came off that way to me O.o

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Also, Disgaea is of mention, but Valk seems more like...Fire Emblemish? Maybe I'm wrong, never played it, but it came off that way to me O.o
Disgaea is absolutely wtfomgamazing, and Valk is good too. Well, I've only played partway through Valk (I was borrowing it), but it's still quite good.

Try a demo of it. It's waaay different than Fire Emblem, or most turn-based games for that matter.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Disgaea is absolutely wtfomgamazing, and Valk is good too. Well, I've only played partway through Valk (I was borrowing it), but it's still quite good.

Try a demo of it. It's waaay different than Fire Emblem, or most turn-based games for that matter.
So Disgaea 3 is good? Just wondering because on pictures and videos it looks weird xD

Also, Resonance of Fate doesn't look too bad. time turn based but still.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Disgaea is like FFT, but like turned up a notch.

I don't know about Dragon Age.

You played KOTOR, you played all of bioware's rpgs.

Not saying they're bad, KOTOR is just... better. it's weird.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I've actually played Dragon Age before, but really, my girlfriend loves it more. She was addicted to the game back when my friend let us borrow it/his ps3.

I want to play it as well, but it's not my top priority. (FFXIII is, actually. I have to say I gave it a shot)

Thing is, I'm looking for something FFVII/FFX-ish style, and I can't find anything. FFXIII is -vaugely- similar, but it's so linear..so linear.

Star Ocean isn't close either really. I just wish FFXV would be more like what they had, to be honest.

Then agian, between Bioware's rpgs, a movie rpg, Monster Hunter (That's a loose rpg though..), and Star Ocean, it could be a little bit of everything I suppose.

Edit: You know, i actually don't mind brawl. I can see melee being a lot better, but Brawl doesn't seem that bad. The only thing I hate is how it seems 25% or less of the characters are useful.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
People need to stop hating on JRPGS for being linear. They are what they are. Play some SMT games. They're awesome RPGs.

So, I was at my BlazBlue biweekly tonight, and we played this really strange game near the end of the night. It was called Rag Doll Kung Fu, and it was the weirdest game I've ever seen. :I

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
brawls slow, comboless, and stalling is strong. It sucks. Of course im talkin about competitive wise. Casual wise brawl is amazing.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Where did that come from?

But yeah it's totally true.

Melee is the best but I can't play it on a competitive level because I have terrible techskill.

Smash64 is my favorite since it's slow and fundamentally broken like Brawl but you can do ridiculous combos with it like Melee.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i said it because of shimazus edit. Im not gonna lie tho, melees probably the only game i play at a high level. Like my techskill is at the point where i dont have to practice or play at all and i can still do the most difficult things. I call it the shiz effect lol.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Smash 64 is pretty fast and not broken at all.
It's slow compared to Melee and although it's not broken per se, you can do a ton of broken **** in it, like how pretty much every character has a 0-death.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's slow compared to Melee and although it's not broken per se, you can do a ton of broken **** in it, like how pretty much every character has a 0-death.
Melee is fast compared to most games.

Yeah, but there's more than that to the game.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You seem to have misinterpreted everything I have said so far.

I love Smash64 is my point.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
People need to stop hating on JRPGS for being linear. They are what they are. Play some SMT games. They're awesome RPGs.

So, I was at my BlazBlue biweekly tonight, and we played this really strange game near the end of the night. It was called Rag Doll Kung Fu, and it was the weirdest game I've ever seen. :I

There is a difference between linear and story book. Star Ocean 4 seems to allow exploration, yet is story driven. FFX did the same. The point was you -could- go back. XIII took that away, which sucks.

I came to the conclusion Imma get SO4, I put in my SO3 and realized synthesis was the sole reason I hated the game, and SO4 fixed a lot of that. Can't wait to get all those games O_O Rpg/action/fighting game heaven.

Aside from that, I can see Melee being better than Brawl competition wise, but the problem I'm having is finding other people who play it. The game is fairly old now, so I got kinda doubtful. Hence why I'm playing Brawl again now. xD

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
So Disgaea 3 is good? Just wondering because on pictures and videos it looks weird xD

Also, Resonance of Fate doesn't look too bad. time turn based but still.
Im a huge fan of NIS games in generally but I can admit the Disgaea series is targeted at a extremely niche crowd. If you enjoyed FFT for the actual strategy and story the Disgaea series probably won't appeal to you. On the other hand if you enjoyed it because of the character creation/building then Disgaea will be a dream come true.

P.S Dragon Age was the best WRPG released in awhile All my bias

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'd say both rpgs tie, and I think Imma hold off regardless. Maybe the jrpg factors FFXIII does have will quench it, because SO4 looks "okay" but too time consuming, and Disgaea 3, well I'll probably get that. Maybe the nonlinearity of Dragon Age (it isn't that linear >.>) and Monster Hunter combined with what jrpg ffxiii has will make me forget that ffxiii is a straight shot.

Anyways, don't flame me for this please...but I've never understood this.

What is the infinite cape glitch?

Dstr1ck

Smash Cadet
I can admit the Disgaea series is targeted at a extremely niche crowd. If you enjoyed FFT for the actual strategy and story the Disgaea series probably won't appeal to you. On the other hand if you enjoyed it because of the character creation/building then Disgaea will be a dream come true.
I throughly enjoyed FFT, will look into Disgaea. The story was ok, but i liked the "job" system.

On a fighting note: I r not good at aircombows yet. :c I just learned how to knock opponents into the air but its so hard to pull off on a real player. Switching my main from Ryu to Frank cause he's too fun. If somebody wants to play TvC sometime feel free to pm me cause i get stuck playing newbs and pubstars, and i could use a critique.

@Shimazu you mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNUqJk-CRM&feature=related

Gates

Banned via Warnings
SoCal Regionals Marvel Finals is full of interesting and funny **** right now.

Archilles using Cable-A/Sentinel-Y/Cammy-A was awesome and proved that Cammy is still a cool character even though we haven't seen her used in like 8 years.

Justin Wong using Clockw0rk was hilarious.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
First post lol.
I wish i knew.
i remember playing GG @ the arcade like my first time ever playing i could barely hit the guy i just walked away like "WTF i don't even know how to play the game & he went 100%"

Lol they put smash on blast on the stream

Top Bottom