• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
I did want to discuss something important. Why do street fighter players look down on smash players?
two reasons come to mind-

1- the average smash players is younger than the average sf player.

2- for the most part smash players only game is smash, they haven't tried any other fighter competitively or seriously

there are exceptions for both reasons (obviously) but these are two reasons off the top of my head

Gates

Banned via Warnings
3. Competitive Smash bans items and certain stages and stuff whereas the SF community likes to play games out of the box without having to set custom rules beforehand.

4. Smash is very unconventional compared to traditional 2D fighters. Instead of a lifebar and rounds Smash has precentages and stocks. Instead of blocking low or high Smash just has a shield, rolls, spotdodges, and airdodges. Instead of the same stage every time with a different background, Smash has stages that actually make a huge difference in how a match plays out. Even the terminology is different for the same concepts - Footsies and Spacing, Zoning and Camping.

5. Smash is made by Nintendo, a company with almost no experience making competitive games whatsoever. Capcom, Namco, Arcsys, SNK, and other fighting game companies have large teams of people working on the balance of their games and have NDAs with professional players. Because of all the effort they put into it, SF, Tekken, GG, BB, KoF, etc. games are usually very well balanced. Sakurai reportedly balanced Brawl himself. Look how that turned out.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Melee was not built to be competitive. Actually, its the opposite. Melee was suppose to be built to be un-competitive which sakurai did a ABSOLUTE terrible job on. Honestly, they should just tell sakurai to make bad games so he'll do the opposite. lol

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai can make decent single-player games. I liked the early Kirby games, and he supposedly worked on Meteos, so that's something.

Of course that was before they found the algorithm for random tripping, so who knows how his next games will turn out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I doubt Melee was meant to be competitive as it is now. But I do wonder how much thought HAL put into making it. They really did a good job in adding all these accidental advance techniques. lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
they have a better attitude towards melee for some reason now. They completly **** on brawl.
Obviously, these players don't represent all the FG players. Some of them legitimately enjoy Melee, or at least came to appreciate it. I also see better sentiments for 64 than Brawl.

I think it's just that they believe Brawl is a bad game like we believe. Others may think though that everyone jumped from one Smash to another every time a sequel came out.

IMO, Melee is the Nintendo equivalent of MvC2: A game intended for casual play that ended up being one of the most popular competitive fighting games. It's too bad though how Capcom and Nintendo differently treated these accidents.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
The absolute worst arguement I've heard is how the game appears. Simply because Mario and Pikachu are in it, they assume it's childish. I lol at this because the street fighter cast by appearance is worse than the brawl and melee cast.
1.balrog is so stereotypical
2.Wtf blanka
3.zangief slams you on your neck and you get up like nothing happened
4.Wtf bison (or dictator)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The absolute worst arguement I've heard is how the game appears. Simply because Mario and Pikachu are in it, they assume it's childish. I lol at this because the street fighter cast by appearance is worse than the brawl and melee cast.
2.Wtf blanka
arcana heart gets the same treatment because it has an all girl cast. And almost every char in sf is stereotypical. And you forgot dhalsim hakan sodom rmika necro oro urien twelve and rufus for the weird chars. Sorry for the no commas my phone takes to much time to write a comma.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
2.Wtf blanka
Despite the stuff you listed, they still don't seem as childish as having Mario and Pikachu in a game though.
And yeah... breaking people's necks with SPDs is childish unless the person dies from it...

While I like Smash, I just don't think your argument holds. Seeing Dhalsim stretch doesn't make it look like a kids game.
Sure the characters are strange, but strange and childish are two different things.

But I agree with you. They shouldn't judge on appearances since 64 and Melee are really great games with depth.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm willing to say that Balrog probably has the most negative Black stereotypes all rolled into one. At the same time, I think Dudley has rich Black guy stereotypes (minus wearing all white) to some extent.

But yeah, all the characters in Street Fighter are stereotypical with the possible exception of Cammy.

I might be wrong since I've had limited experience with Guilty Gear, but I think the Guilty Gear characters would be as "childish" as the Smash characters if some were changed into animal/anthro characters with a less serious artstyle.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Smash has stages that actually make a huge difference in how a match plays out. Even the terminology is different for the same concepts - Footsies and Spacing, Zoning and Camping.
No that's not true. Footsies isn't the same thing as spacing and camping is the scrub word for zoning in every fighting game where you can do it.

The only thing I've heard actually being bashed on is like dittos and mirror match.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If you read about footsies, yes they are very similar to spacing.

Camping is a scrub word, but in smash everyone uses it, regardless of skill.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Is it even still around? I would have thought they'd have all just gone to 4chan by now since it's the same thing only without a ladder.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
No, it's still there. Someone linked me to it the other day for reasons that I cannot fathom.

I was so offended that I had to clear my browsing history.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
you mustve never played marvel(any of them), vampire savior, hnk, bbcs, ggac, jojos, 3S, or a lot of the other games where defense isnt dominate. Just because its mad good in ST, SSF4(for the most part), and brawl(brings it to a whole new ******** level) doesnt mean theyre all like that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, playing defensively in MvC2 is definitely a terrible way to play. That's why Cable sucks so much.

Wait.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So how many good offensive teams are there without Magneto?

Top Bottom