• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I own two. :3c

They're a top-quality stick. I like them better than HRAPs, but that's just personal preference, because both are good quality. If you're looking to invest in a good stick, I say go for it.
Ah, thank you, I've read some reviews and gotten some opinions from friends and etc, and I'll be getting two. (Because I play offline VS often in SSFIV and Blazblue)

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Does anyone have any personal experience with the Madcatz TE fight sticks? Any opinions would be much appreciated
They're great sticks, but I don't use one. I just use my modded SE, and I love it. :3

I would post pics, but photobucket is blocked at school.

On the subject of 3d fighters, I recently got Virtua Fighter 5, and it's pretty fun!

Anyway, I'm part of the SSBC dev team (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152960), and we really need some testers who know how a game should be balanced.

I would really appreciate it if some you guys tried it out. Just use joy2key if you want to use a controller with it.

If you like it, just sign up for the forums and post about any balance changes that are needed.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Random question: How important is winning to you? What are the priorities of winning and having fun relative to each other for you?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I have fun when I win, so I guess you could say the correlation is almost 1:1.

Sometimes I don't mind losing though. If I lose and it was a hard fought game or it was the occasional random match where something stupid or hilarious happened I won't mind losing. If it's like Dedede vs Falco where I get ***** and can't do anything about it, I'll be pissed.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Hmm if im fighting one of my friends who isn't my lvl ill let the people who is not as good as me win when i feel like it

but as for my rival i try to beat him 24/7. i dont care if he is giving me the same treatment i just wanna win

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I have fun winning... So both then?
But really, I value fun mostly though since I don't expect to ever be a top player and win all the time.

Most of my fun is just playing the game itself and just seeing how much I improve.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
well if i lose and it was a hard close fight i wouldn't mind. if it's because something stupid happened, i lose against a stupid/broken character, lose to someone i should've beat, or playing like s*** all together then i get mad.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Question!

What is the best monitor to play a fighting game?! I'm looking to upgrade my Cathode-Ray Tube sometime after MvC3 comes in and would like to know what I'm buying before I do!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What is the best monitor to play a fighting game?! I'm looking to upgrade my Cathode-Ray Tube sometime after MvC3 comes in and would like to know what I'm buying before I do!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059 This is what was used at EVO 2009.

Mind you that I don't recommend upgrading it to a TV. There's too much money in getting the proper equipment for it. I would just use this strictly for gaming and maybe for laptop presentations.

Atlus8

Smash Master
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059 This is what was used at EVO 2009.

Mind you that I don't recommend upgrading it to a TV. There's too much money in getting the proper equipment for it. I would just use this strictly for gaming and maybe for laptop presentations.
Yeah, I read about the ASUS used for Evo and they sound good! However, I would also be watching tv on it so a coaxial and AV inputs would be needed!

sai_:)

Smash Ace
well if i lose and it was a hard close fight i wouldn't mind. if it's because something stupid happened, i lose against a stupid/broken character, lose to someone i should've beat, or playing like s*** all together then i get mad.
qft .

kr3wman

Smash Master
even though Eventhubs/Youtube comments are made by some horrible people who shouldn't be allowed to go near something that has internet access, man, if you ever read an article about fighting games on mainstream sites like Kotaku...

Man, people are horrible at fighting games... I mean jesus!

Read the comments on this http://kotaku.com/5709421/smash-bros-creator-tells-tales-of-game-development-hell#comments. Could you find even 10 people who knew anything about smash, like, at all?

Reading the eventhubs comments makes me laugh, but reading kotaku comments makes my head hurt. a lot.

A guy complaining about fighting games being too much catered to the hardcore for the past decade?

A guy who seriously thought all 3 games looked the same graphically?

A guy is like 'I used to play melee with friends who kicked my *** all the time, and since brawl physics' were changed, now I can compete on an even level! Such a better game!'

A guy comparing wavedashing (as an exploit) to players in fps games glitching through walls to shoot from outside the map since to him they're both exploits?

A guy saying roll canceling is the reason CvS2 isn't relevant anymore?

A guy saying why people don't like brawl is because we've grown out of it?

Guys going like 'Yo man, I know about tournament people, they aren't even good, my little brother beat competitive level meta knights with his ganondorf!'

Etc. I could post stuff like these from the comments all day.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
lol I saw that article too. I basically interpreted it as meaning that competitive Smash died with Brawl and we'll never get it back unless Nintendo removes Sakurai from the picture and puts in someone who knows what they're doing.

I just never read the comments on anything ever. It works out pretty well.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
lol I saw that article too. I basically interpreted it as meaning that competitive Smash died with Brawl and we'll never get it back unless Nintendo removes Sakurai from the picture and puts in someone who knows what they're doing.

I just never read the comments on anything ever. It works out pretty well.
I doubt that would fix the problem even if they removed Sakurai. Melee was a giant fluke just like MvC2. I thought it was foolish that the smash community had such high expectations for brawl in the first place.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But didn't they have different intended uses?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Melee was designed with the intent of being competitive. The action replay proving that L-canceling and wavedashing were intentional strengthens my belief.
That doesn't mean anything. Just because you have AR doesn't mean you suddenly know the developers intentions. These could have been left in for countless other reasons that range from simple developer oversights to unintentional but unavoidable physics mechanics.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I doubt that would fix the problem even if they removed Sakurai.
It wouldn't if that was all they did. If they removed Sakurai AND replaced him with someone who knows how to balance fighting games AND got NDAs with Melee and Brawl pros to playtest the game and help balance it, then it might be better.

But this is Nintendo and they can do no right.

That doesn't mean anything. Just because you have AR doesn't mean you suddenly know the developers intentions. These could have been left in for countless other reasons that range from simple developer oversights to unintentional but unavoidable physics mechanics.
In an interview with Nintendo Power (in either late 2007 or early/mid 2008), Sakurai admitted that he found out that wavedashing existed in Melee during testing. He probably could have removed it, but he either wanted it in the game so it could be more competitive/hardcore, didn't have time, or didn't care. It obviously wasn't an oversight since he admitted to knowing about it.

And like kr3wman said, l-canceling was a natural extension of z-canceling from Smash64.

Top Bottom