• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
It wouldn't if that was all they did. If they removed Sakurai AND replaced him with someone who knows how to balance fighting games AND got NDAs with Melee and Brawl pros to playtest the game and help balance it, then it might be better.

But this is Nintendo and they can do no right.

In an interview with Nintendo Power (in either late 2007 or early/mid 2008), Sakurai admitted that he found out that wavedashing existed in Melee during testing. He probably could have removed it, but he either wanted it in the game so it could be more competitive/hardcore, didn't have time, or didn't care. It obviously wasn't an oversight since he admitted to knowing about it.

And like kr3wman said, l-canceling was a natural extension of z-canceling from Smash64.
Like I said there could possibly be a large range of explanations but simply stating "XYZ were left in intentionally so it was obviously designed to be competitive." is just extremely presumptuous.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Sakurai created Kirby, the platformer series that aimed to be accessible to anyone regardless of skill (and Kirby games are good, fun games regardless of that). He was obviously not going to make Brawl more competitive than Melee, and I personally don't mind that much. It's fun and I enjoy getting good tournament results with my favorite characters from my favorite gaming series. I wish Brawl were more balanced, and I wish tripping didn't exist, but I still love playing Brawl as much as I love Melee and 64.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i cant stand brawl. One of the worst fighters ive ever played. Slow, extremly defensive, no hypeness what so ever (no flashing things AT ALL), bad balance, random tripping, amd NO COMBOS... Wtf sakurai

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I truly don't mind it being slow and favoring being defensive, I'm a very defensive player anyway. The combos, well, I kind of got used to it, it's just very different from other fighters in that aspect. I still find it very fun, I love improving my characters, learning match-ups, etc. Just like in other fighters. Balance and tripping, that's where I agree, but that still doesn't break my experience with the game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like 64 the most out of the three for obvious reasons. The game was like Super Turbo.
It was a simple game that was balanced and was fast.

Anyway, I do think that they had the intent to make Melee with a lot of depth and even make it competitive.
Sure they didn't expect people to take advantage of all the game to what it is today, but HAL really did seem to put a lot of thought into some of the game mechanics. But yeah, there's no proof that is meant to be competitive, but I personally felt that they tried to make Melee deep.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have mixed feelings. I like the game, but SSFIV/MvC3(Can't wait) just keeps me from playing it. I'm not epically good at fighters(anyone serious here would stomp me), but I can see the problems with Brawl. Nintendo may fix it though, because they are not 100% Anti-competitive.

Pokemon is pretty okay <,<

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Boy, you don't know **** about pokemon.

BW turned the metagame on its head. Now Ubers is the stall metagame and OU is the offensive metagame.

THAT **** IS CRAZY.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Rapid Spin ain't ****. I have a team with no spinners or entry hazards in OU right now and it damn near won me the last pokecenter tourney before Wave went and ****ed it up.

Rapid Spin is only important if you're playing Stall so that you don't roll over and die to other stall teams.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Boy, you don't know **** about pokemon.

BW turned the metagame on its head. Now Ubers is the stall metagame and OU is the offensive metagame.

THAT **** IS CRAZY.
You're right, I quit until Gen V becomes more...defined. (Or until the DS versions come out, I actually play on the DS like an idiot)

I think it's cool they turned it upside down though :D.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Twilight Princess vs Kingdom Hearts II?

Also it's pretty pathetic that the previous bracket was Kingdom Hearts vs Kingdom Hearts II.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
BRAWL BEAT TWILIGHT PRINCESS WHAT THE ****.

And now Majora's Mask is about to beat MGS3. GameFAQs is great at taking everything you love and destroying it.

But as long as Brawl doesn't win I'll be fine.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
BRAWL BEAT TWILIGHT PRINCESS WHAT THE ****.

And now Majora's Mask is about to beat MGS3. GameFAQs is great at taking everything you love and destroying it.

But as long as Brawl doesn't win I'll be fine.
MM is the best Zelda game and the MGS franchise in its entirety is overrated trash. I don't see what you are trying to get at.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I found a holographic MM at a flea market. I bought that **** quuiiiiiiiiiicccckkkkkkkkkkk. I still havent played it tho. OoT was amazing so i will get around to it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MM is the best Zelda game and the MGS franchise in its entirety is overrated trash. I don't see what you are trying to get at.
I didn't like Majora's Mask that much and MGS3 was the best in the series. I don't see what you are trying to get at.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Are you really saying that MM and OoT is bad? Seriously??? I can understand TP but those OoT is amazing and I have a lot of friends that say that MM is the best LoZ. I need to finish WW. >_>

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So yeah, dem fighting games.

A guy I know's gonna show me how to play KOF in the future. It'll either be 98 or 02.

Velox

Smash Ace
Your close-mindedness digusts me.
People who cry close-mindedness at one statement disgust me. It should take two statements of disgust. Although disgustingly ineffective against good players, games where players can buttom mash and actually do something correlate with games mechanics that often disgust me. It's a general rule I use to harness my disgust.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Are you really saying that MM and OoT is bad? Seriously??? I can understand TP but those OoT is amazing and I have a lot of friends that say that MM is the best LoZ. I need to finish WW. >_>
The N64 Zelda games aren't bad, they just aged poorly. If you want to go by how good it was at the time, then yeah, they're amazing and nearly perfect. If you look back at them now, they're still excellent games, but the combat system in WW and TP is more refined and feels less like wood. There's also the issue of the same limitations on the N64 games due to cartridge limitations, which isn't an issue if you're playing on a ROM, but I honestly don't know why anyone would want to play Zelda with a keyboard. Still, they're both great games and have a ton of ideas that I'd still like to see implemented in games today - OoT has amazing dungeon design and the mask system of MM is a really interesting concept that I'd like to see the Zelda series revisit someday.

Obviously the most recent console Zeldas have their faults too. Wind Waker didn't have many dungeons in the main storyline, and the sailing was boring and tedious. Twilight Princess was an amazing game and I still maintain that it's one of the best on the Wii (which isn't saying much, but still), but looking back there are some issues with it - the Wii controls are very obviously tacked on, wolf form is useless after a certain point in the game, and even though it has the same number of dungeons as OoT (I think), they're not as long or as in-depth.

As far as the MGS series being overrated...well, given the saturation of it, I guess you could say it is. It's not nearly as overrated as FFVII, but it's still notoriously popular without many compelling reasons, especially given that the plot is a cluster**** of retcons. MGS1 was extremely good, even to this day. It pretty much invented the stealth genre then. However, the voice acting was hammy (especially in The Twin Snakes), the cutscenes were long, and the plot was convoluted. And unfortunately this became a series tradition. However the gameplay always stayed the same, so at least that's good. MGS2 wasn't as bad a game as people thought, and was in fact one of the best games in the early PS2 era. Raiden is a little *****, the plot gets messier, and storywise the game is basically an almost perfect copy of MGS1 (which they even say in the story...way to cover your tracks there). I still liked the game as a whole, and as a troll I admire Kojima's omega-level trolling of his fanbase with the Raiden fake-out. MGS4 is the only game in the series that I think is actually overrated. I say this because it's really only half a game. After about chapter 3, it becomes more cutscene than gameplay, with only a few brief boss fights and run-down-the-corridor sequences peppered throughout. It really does become Movie Gear Solid. While not wishing to spoil anything, the ending itself is also something I think is overrated. Everyone talks about how it's manly or poetic or whatever, but to me it's just sad. Really really sad. Oh, and the plot is more convoluted than ever. I haven't played Portable Ops or Peace Walker, so I'm not going to get into those.

MGS3 is my favorite in the series for a lot of reasons. One reason is that they're starting fresh with the story of who Big Boss is and how he came to be. This makes it much easier to follow the plot, although there's still a lot of unexplained bull**** (how can the bosses control bees, bend their arm and leg joints backwards like chickens, heal themselves with sunlight, come back from the dead as ghosts to give me codec numbers to call to get out of jail, and generate electricity?). In general though, the plot is a lot better than the other MGS games, and the gameplay is too, especially in Subsistence where you get a full 3D camera. I really liked going through a jungle, a swamp, and a mountain to try to avoid my enemies as opposed to just walking through a sterile military base. In fact, the part where you get to Groznyj Grad (the base) was my least favorite part of the game since I felt like it was just a repeat of what I had been doing in MGS and MGS2. It also has the best final boss fight of the series, if only for the ambiance - A field of white flowers, a ticking clock, a master and her student...the modd is nearly perfect. One nice touch that I liked about the final boss fight was that it has a 10 minute time limit that starts in complete silence, but when you get to 5 minutes remaining the theme music fades into the background and when you get down to about 2:30 remaining the lyrics fade in as well. MGS3 is the best game of the series imo. It's got great gameplay, great sound, a good straightforward story, and it's just a great game overall. Also, Big Boss gets some hot sex pants-on hugging at the end, which is more than any other Snake has gotten.

tl;dr - MM isn't a bad game, I just like TP (and MGS3) better.

And anyway, OoT wasn't in the poll, just MM, WW, and TP (and maybe PH, I can't remember, but even though that was a good game people won't/didn't vote for it because handheld games get no respect).

I dont play KoF just because there is so many of them.
Yeah, same with me. I don't really know what's still played or where to start, so I've never gotten into it.

Fighting games other than melee disgust me.
Random posters who show up out of nowhere to try and troll disgust me.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This message is hidden because Velox is on your ignore list.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
A guy I know's gonna show me how to play KOF in the future. It'll either be 98 or 02.
98, 02, or XI is definitely the best place to start. I hope that KoF XIII is much better than KoF XII, it looks that way so far.

I picked up Samurai Shodown Sen, and I have really mixed feelings about it so far.

Top Bottom