• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Yaya

Smash Champion
Two Guilty Gear questions.
1. When did Sol lose his Dustloop?
2. What was the point of GG mode in Guilty Gear X, and what differences did Robo Ky have on that game compared to standard Ky?

The only differences that I can remember was the cool hunched back pose, and maybe a few move changes, but was there any real point in that GG mode for the other characters?

And yes I am aware there are three questions XP.
I can answer one of these questions. Sol lost his Dustloop in Guilty Gear XX Slash, it was never released in America, so that may be why you're confused. He gained the Sidewinder Loop in Accent Core though. The fact that I'm a Robo-Ky main and can't answer your second question saddens me.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
In GG Mode, characters get something akin to a massive adrenaline boost. GG characters move 20% faster, have no height restriction on mid-air attacks, can jump cancel almost any move and won't lose speed when pulling a move in mid-air. Endurance for each character in GG Mode is slightly lower.

Robo-Ky's first appearance in a Guilty Gear game was XX. In Reload, his moveset was revised to make him more of an individual character, rather than just a clone of Ky.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I've just started. Has made me appreciate how strong the melee community is in the uk, by comparison at least.
How is the Soul Caliber community there anyway and where are the locations for competitive Soul Caliber here in the U.S? The only games that I know that are competitive for the series are 2 & 4.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
If you like chars who are hard to play and will rush the **** out of *****s then pick Guy. If you want a poke based turtle then you want Vega. Juri is very odd. She can rushdown and zone very well but some chars wreck her ****.
Yeah, I think the only reason I like Juri is looks (Sharingan ftw lolz) and the fact she had easier executions, XD.

By those descriptions I'll probably want to stick with Guy. I do have to say though, fighting style wise, Juri is very weird. My GF is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and knew some of the moves she was doing XD.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Did she tell you that doing Juri's stance in real life is suicide? I was a red belt in TKD and recognized most of them as well. Obviously, though, none of her specials exist in TKD.

Just try out different characters.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah...actually she said:

"That stance sucks and leaves openings. We never use it"

I seem to be doing better with Guy...but I'm having the same problem I did with Juri and Vega:

Ryu/Ken/Sakura.

Hadoken spam > Shoryuken (sp on both).. it's so annoying... -_-...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
^ Yeah...actually she said:

"That stance sucks and leaves openings. We never use it"

I seem to be doing better with Guy...but I'm having the same problem I did with Juri and Vega:

Ryu/Ken/Sakura.

Hadoken spam > Shoryuken (sp on both).. it's so annoying... -_-...
I just considered the stance to just be Rule of Cool than anything else. Most of the characters (particuarly Sagat) have a reasonable stance.

And, ah the shotos, they can be tricky with their fireballs and DPs. Focus attacks, baits, and safe jumps are your friends.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is how I fight
I said most. T. Hawk is not one of them. You have the shotos (save for Dan), the Chinese characters, Cammy, and Guile with at least somewhat realistic stances that I can think of off of the top of my head.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/0/06/SSF2T_T._Hawk.gif

This is how I fight
IIRC, T. Hawk doesn't have a specific fighting style, he's just a really buff 8 foot tall Native American.

Although fighting stances like that are probably why Native Americans are almost completely wiped off the face of the Earth.

gm jack

Smash Lord
How is the Soul Caliber community there anyway and where are the locations for competitive Soul Caliber here in the U.S? The only games that I know that are competitive for the series are 2 & 4.
Considering it appears to be less than 10 people in the UK, I guess that it won't be too hard for the USA to have a better scene.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I was going to get SC4 ...but I wanted to pre-order the special MvC3

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Slightly off the current topic, but I realized something the other day. Slow moving fighters like TvC and Brawl are more frustrating to me than anything else when it comes to advanced techniques because if ATs require a small amount of frames, it can be totally hard to switch from Brawl speed to Guilty Gear speed for a just a few frames.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It allows you to stop MK from running away from you and grabbing the ledge for 8 minutes?

Oh wait, no, it just stops Tornado.

Remember late 2009/early 2010 when Ally played MK without using Tornado at all and did extremely well against everyone but that one Bowser player (I think it was Vex)? MK isn't a one-dimensional character. He can do a lot more than just Tornado at high levels of play. It's not like Dedede who can basically only grab and bair or Game and Watch who can basically only nair and bair. He can do so much more than Tornado, and you can watch any match of M2K to see that.

There's also the fact that, you know,
Brawl sucks.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ok?

I don't see how that answers my question.

Like at all.

And isn't Kongo Jungle 64 usually banned except for doubles? I honestly don't remember that much about Melee.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Seriously, I don't want to have the brawl defense vs melee defense debate. I still believe that Melee camping>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl camping, but that's just me.

When people make statements such as picking MK and grabbing the ledge for 8 minutes is successful it shows how little they know. Especially when you consider that Melee can be played just as defensive as Brawl.

But anyway the PSC video is what it is. I hope people who play Brawl and look at this thread enjoy viewing the technique.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
313 acts like you can camp just as hard in melee as brawl. I dont know why because its obviously NOT true. Im not going thruogh this argument for the THIRD TIME IN MY OWN THREAD.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Just goes to show you that it can be done in both games
So? You can play defensively in a lot of games. Have you ever seen MvC2 Santhrax dittos? The first 10 seconds or so of that is Storm running away to build meter. People can still play that game aggressively, as evidenced by the fact that there are typically 3 or more MSP teams in the top8 of every major. Even in BlazBlue, one of the most aggressive current-gen fighting games, there are a lot of characters who turtle and zone a lot.

To further extend that statement, have you seen or played any fighting games other than Smash? This may be called "fighting game discussion" and Smash may be a fighting game, but considering the fact that the Light House is for non-Smash gaming, it would probably be assumed that this thread would be for non-Smash fighting games. I guess that wasn't explicit enough though. Maybe we should change the title?

Seriously, I don't want to have the brawl defense vs melee defense debate. I still believe that Melee camping>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl camping, but that's just me.

When people make statements such as picking MK and grabbing the ledge for 8 minutes is successful it shows how little they know. Especially when you consider that Melee can be played just as defensive as Brawl.
People don't gripe about how defensive Brawl is just because running away is a viable strategy, they gripe about it because it's the ONLY viable strategy. Brawl doesn't have half the potential to be an aggressive game as Melee does. Even now when Melee is campier than ever, it's still a game that can reward aggressive play. Brawl has almost never done this, due to inherent qualities the system has that reward defensive play and punish aggression. Aside from the Japanese and very early in Brawl's lifetime, I haven't seen aggressive playstyles that have been consistently successful at a very high level of play, whereas with Melee there have been plenty, namely Falcon players. Falcon as a character is pretty much a testament to Melee rewarding aggression, which is more than I can say for Brawl. The best offensive character in Brawl is Metaknight, who is also one of the best defensive characters. None of the other characters in Brawl really stand out as being good for aggression, and even then they'd likely be better played defensively anyway.

But anyway the PSC video is what it is. I hope people who play Brawl and look at this thread enjoy viewing the technique.
I'm pretty sure a majority of the regulars in this thread don't play Brawl anymore. I think Shimazu might, and I think Lythium, kr3wman, and the Canadians do because their BlazBlue scene is intertwined with their Smash scene. That's about it though. I think everyone else either plays Melee or doesn't play Smash.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So is that the Grand Finals of a 100+ person tourney recently and has this been duplicated in many other such tourneys? I seriously don't know who either of those people are or why I should care or how it's significant at all. Also, this takes place in England, which makes me question what the point of it is anyway since Americans as a whole are the best Smashers, and even though there are a lot of good foreign smashers out there, if you haven't won a big American tourney you generally haven't proven yourself.

Look, I guess you didn't glean this from my other posts so let me spell it out for you in extremely large font in all caps.

I DO NOT PLAY SMASH ANYMORE. IF YOU JUST POST A VIDEO IN RESPONSE TO ONE OF MY POSTS, I WILL NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY. YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE USING WORDS AND PUT CONTEXT INTO EACH OF YOUR POSTS OR I WILL PRETTY MUCH DISREGARD THEM ENTIRELY. YOU THINK WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS SELF-EVIDENT, BUT IT REALLY ISN'T.

I realize that since you still play and care about Brawl that you may have the intellect of a gerbil, so I'll provide definitions for some of the larger words that I used.

Context - The surroundings, circumstances, environment, background or settings which determine, specify, or clarify the meaning of an event.

Self-evident - Obviously true, and requiring no proof, argument or explanation.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I'm picking up Akuma in SSFIV. Guy was hard...Juri was weird, but I've been doing loads better with Akuma, and not Hadoken(or w/e) spamming.

Is MvC as hard as SSF?

Because learning 3 characters is going to be a mess >.>

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just goes to show you that it can be done in both games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHfcafE9ig
Then this says something about the core design elements common in both games, or rather what they both lack.

I don't play the Smash games anymore, but Melee kept me entertained on just the single player level, by myself, more than Brawl did with all its modes combined.

@Shimazu
Great, another Akuma. Not that I have a qualm about you playing him, it's just so many people play him, but for someone just starting out, I wouldn't say he's a bad idea.

I can't say anything on MvC, but you do have revolver actions (kinda like target combos in SF) that do the bulk of your damage, so I don't think execution will be much of an issue.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I'm picking up Akuma in SSFIV. Guy was hard...Juri was weird, but I've been doing loads better with Akuma, and not Hadoken(or w/e) spamming.
Don't worry about Hadouken spamming. IMO, it's not really spamming. If you aren't getting punished for them and you're using them correctly, then you're zoning with them. Remember that using specials like Hadoukens can build meter too.
Is MvC as hard as SSF?

Because learning 3 characters is going to be a mess >.>
It's a different kind of hard. Learning each character isn't as difficult since there are less buttons, similar and easy to chain combos, and it just has an overall easier learning curve.

It'll be harder that you'll have to find characters that compliment each other by improving a character's strength or backing up a weakness through assists.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh for ****'s sake, you're not even reading what I'm saying are you.

Let me put this in terms you can understand

BRAWL SUCKS
YOU SUCK
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID ****
SO GO DIE IN A HOLE

This is not Brawl General. You need to post like a grown up. Do that or don't come back.

To further extend that statement, have you seen or played any fighting games other than Smash? This may be called "fighting game discussion" and Smash may be a fighting game, but considering the fact that the Light House is for non-Smash gaming, it would probably be assumed that this thread would be for non-Smash fighting games. I guess that wasn't explicit enough though. Maybe we should change the title?
**cough**Etwist**cough**

Top Bottom