• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

황미영

Smash Champion
Cool story there, Gates. ;D

MvC is very easy in terms of executing. Just watch some videos and you should be good, no joke.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Don't worry about Hadouken spamming. IMO, it's not really spamming. If you aren't getting punished for them and you're using them correctly, then you're zoning with them. Remember that using specials like Hadoukens can build meter too.

It's a different kind of hard. Learning each character isn't as difficult since there are less buttons, similar and easy to chain combos, and it just has an overall easier learning curve.

It'll be harder that you'll have to find characters that compliment each other by improving a character's strength or backing up a weakness through assists.
Well, I'm doing a lot better with Akuma to say the least. I actually beat Arcade mode, lol.

As fir MvC, I'll probably end up doing better with that. My biggest problem with this game is how strict the commands are. Though it's getting better :D

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Cool story there, Gates. ;D

MvC is very easy in terms of executing. Just watch some videos and you should be good, no joke.
LOLOLOL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH. "watch yipes and youll be able to tri dash, guard break, and unfly refly in no time!"

At lower level Marvels execution is easier, but it isnt at a whole. I wish I could watch a Cykes do an infinite and just do it. That would be great.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
FYI, I play Brawl and I was one of the better players in my state before I moved. No one ever wants to money match me because I use Lucario and Meta Knight :/. Everybody hates Lucario and my playstyle with Meta Knight has given me the nickname, "Pacifist," or, "Ghandi."

I like and play Melee tons more though.

황미영

Smash Champion
LOLOLOL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH. "watch yipes and youll be able to tri dash, guard break, and unfly refly in no time!"

At lower level Marvels execution is easier, but it isnt at a whole. I wish I could watch a Cykes do an infinite and just do it. That would be great.
Of course you can. ;D

It's called training mode. ;DDDDD

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I wounder what's people's take on TVC and their opinion as a competitive game, I been playing that game alot lately?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wounder what's people's take on TVC and their opinion as a competitive game, I been playing that game alot lately?
I'm not really into TvC mainly because all I have is a Gamecube controller for my Wii, so I haven't played it a ton after unlocking all the characters. I feel that it gets too much undeserved hate and is a pretty underrated game. While I prefer other Capcom fighters much more, TvC is still a pretty solid and fun game.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
The ONLY reason why people don't play TvC is because they don't have a wii/wii stick.

Then come the misunderstandings that trickle to the bottomdwelling scrubs of the internet and they automatically spout nonsense and then more scrubs hear that nonsense and regurgitate them across the internet.

edit: wtf, since when did I have 2000 posts?

=_=

Sariku

Smash Master
I haven't touched TvC yet, but I've really been wanting to. Currently, all I've been playing is BlazBlue. I freakin' love this game,<3 I also play SSFIV and MvC2, all on PS3.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I feel like TvC would get more love if it was a multi-platform release.

I didn't really like it when it was first released, partly because I don't like assist games (but that's just me), but I found it to be really easy. Cookie-cutter air combos, lack of using assists except as combo filler, and generally, hitconfirm anything into super. All of these things I found really aggravating.

Once I saw past all that, I started to like it. If I had a stick for the Wii, I would probably put more time into it.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I didn't know anyone in Street Fighter when I started Street Fighter.

I didn't know anyone in Blazblue when I started Blazblue.

I didn't know what a Touhou was until I started Hisoutensoku.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sadly, I think that's one reason some people don't like getting into most fighters. They don't know the characters.
I personally love that since it's fun choosing a character that just appeals to you, even if you don't know who they are or if they're even good.

I didn't really like it when it was first released, partly because I don't like assist games (but that's just me), but I found it to be really easy. Cookie-cutter air combos, lack of using assists except as combo filler, and generally, hitconfirm anything into super. All of these things I found really aggravating.
Sounds like you'd have more fun with the other VS games in the series.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
TVC is a great game regardless and I don't have a stick and I am really rusty when it comes to sticks and have to spend alot of time so I can get use to a stick and be comfortable with one cause I would love to use one in place of a controller. Alot of people didn't know around half the cast but it gives you insight on those characters, origins, series and such and give your curiosity going like I did (ex. Gatchamen ,Hurricane Polimar, Yatterman, Karas, Tekkaman,) . The same can be applied with smash when we were younger like with Game & Watch and Ice Climbers. Either way I wouldn't mind playing this game competitively cause I am crossover sucker and I'm black so I have to play a VS game LOL but it also seems like this games balances itself out cause CRGOH was imbalanced as I heard but I thoroughly enjoy the game.

Edit: I'm still curious about competitive Soul Caliber in the states.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I hate TvC, but most of you now that and know why too so I wont say.

Edit: and Gamegenie: black people dont play tvc, we play MAHVELLLLLL. Seriously, MvC players didnt tranfer to TvC. Its a watered down version of marvel. No bull****.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I hate TvC, but most of you now that and know why too so I wont say.

Edit: and Gamegenie: black people dont play tvc, we play MAHVELLLLLL. Seriously, MvC players didnt tranfer to TvC. Its a watered down version of marvel. No bull****.
True that that's your opinion though I have nothing against it but anyway what's your guys plan for the MVC3 secret party in Vegas?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sadly, I think that's one reason some people don't like getting into most fighters. They don't know the characters.
Can we blame Marvel, Smash, and any other crossover fighter for this?

I think some of the other reasons include:

1. They have been viewed as technically intimidating.
  2. People want to do the stuff they see other people do, but don't want to put effort into it.
  3. People think you have to memorize insane inputs to do something as basic as a Hadouken.
  4. People have stupid hate towards certain ones because they're animu fighters.
  5. Until recently, there hasn't been much of an effort to break in players.

And the more I think about it, fighting games are kinda like the sports of gaming. They're not physically taxing, but take it from me that matches can be mentally exhausting.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
And the more I think about it, fighting games are kinda like the sports of gaming. They're not physically taxing, but take it from me that matches can be mentally exhausting.
Yeah, I agree. I feel exhausted after playing SF with people after awhile because of all the options you have to consider.

I also agree with your list. The new average gamer doesn't want to spend time to properly learn the game and characters since they want to do everything from the get go. I'm guessing that's also why Ultras are so popular to new players in SF4. To compensate for footsies, they can throw out random Ultras (and shoryus).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, I agree. I feel exhausted after playing SF with people after awhile because of all the options you have to consider.
And in my case, I have to consider the risks and think on the fly more than other others due to who I play.

I also agree with your list. The new average gamer doesn't want to spend time to properly learn the game and characters since they want to do everything from the get go. I'm guessing that's also why Ultras are so popular to new players in SF4. To compensate for footsies, they can throw out random Ultras (and shoryus).
I hate to sound like one of those old folks that talk about their values, but it pains me to see people so lazy. Maybe it's just my background, but if you want something, you got to put effort into it. I'm so tired of seeing people going the easy way out of things. To think that this has affected the way entertainment is made is just depressing.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I want the easy way out or don't want to do it the hard way. Who doesn't? It's in our nature to go along the path of least resistance.

I think part of the problem lies simply in out of date/ineffective but commonly used teaching/learning methods. You gotta make the teaching/learning fun and with an incentive.

With all this talk, I wonder if I should research into alternate teaching methods and whatnot.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah. I've been playing Street Fighter II more and more now lately. While I'm still not great at the game (since I don't know how to counter a lot of situations in that game), it's made my matches in SSFIV feel a whole lot easier due to being better at footsies/spacing and being able to punish whiffed normals better.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
currently learning tekken 6 because i'm tired of being @ this current noob lvl whith my bro. and i must say, its a pretty fun game and the learning curve is not nearly as steep as SF (which took me a few years (2) to get good in) parenthesis inside parenthesis ftw.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Someone needs to come over to my house and play Guilty Gear with me right now. I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't get some Baiken in my life.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
So I got Guilty Gear on my computer a month ago and I thought, "Cool, now I can figure some stuff out... but I don't have Xbox controller so I can't really practice seriously." I recently got a wired Xbox controller and proceeded to try out GG. I learn that the controller is fine on the Xbox + other PC games, but completely drops diagonal inputs on Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear only.

I guess I'm destined not to play it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I started with I-No, but she was too hard for me. Her combos should come labeled, "Scrubs need not apply."

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, I played I-No too, until I had to learn the 6FRC6 thing. I just couldn't do it. I still play some Baiken now and then, but Faust is my one true love.

Going My Way combos 4 lyfe.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want to play Guilty Gear some more, but I don't want to get Slash on my XBOX.

I really want to try out Bridget and Milia some more.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
So I just got a PS3, and I got Tekken 6. Tekken is truly my favorite fighter right after Smash, sadly due to the lack of practice in years, I pretty much suck. That, and Xiaoyu feels kind of nerfed. Need to practice a lot, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Gay for Bridget, straight for Millia. That is all.

Top Bottom